Kevin and Karen
Jo and Giovanni
Katie Dernham

Replies:
Posted By: Jo Bird
Date Posted: 22 July 2016 at 07:57
Thanks Bren. I'll be watching.

-------------
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Posted By: Bren
Date Posted: 22 July 2016 at 10:03
some good reviews around

Proms and Strictly Come Dancing make for a charming pair as Katie Derham delights at the Royal Albert Hall – review

Katie%20Derham%20and Aljaž%20Škorjanec Katie Derham and Aljaž Škorjanec at the Royal Albert Hall Credit: PA?BBC

It was only a matter of time before the http://www.telegraph.co.uk/proms/ - Proms and hit TV series http://www.telegraph.co.uk/strictly-come-dancing/ - Strictly Come Dancing joined forces. Following in the footsteps of Doctor Who and Sherlock, who have previously enjoyed the spotlight at the Royal Albert Hall, it was the dance competition's turn to take to the stage.

With Radio 3's Katie Derham at the helm, some might accuse the BBC of some mighty self-promotion but this is an obvious pairing, with the music for ballroom dancing being firmly ground in the classical repertoire.

Derham, of course, was a Strictly finalist last year and the woman credited with getting stalwart professional dancer Anton Du Beke within touching distance of the glitterball. That wasn't to be, but Derham hasn't quite hung up her dancing shoes yet - she tiptoed out onto the floor to perform two of her best routines from the series.

We got a rehash of her triumphant Viennese waltz, performed to Walter Earl Brown’s If I Can Dream, the song made famous by Elvis Presley in 1968 two months after Martin Luther King’s assassination. The dance signalled an impressive u-turn for her on the show when she unexpectedly topped the leaderboard in week four.

Aljaz%20Skorjanec%20and%20Janette%20Manrara Aljaz Skorjanec and Janette Manrara Credit: PA/BBC

This time, there was no Du Beke to spin her round the dance floor - he was engaged elsewhere celebrating his 50th birthday. In the capable hands of fellow pro Aljaž Škorjanec, however, it was a delightful interlude, and one that would undoubtedly please head judge Len Goodman, for heel leads and fleckerls were duly in check.

Less successful was her quickstep to 42nd Street, but no matter, all eyes were mainly on a group of the show's professional dancers, including the devastatingly good trio that have put Grimsby on the map: champions Kevin Clifton, his sister Joanne and wife Karen.

Their carnival samba, danced in fluorescent outfits, was just one of the highlights. Performed to the spirited Aquarela do Brasil with its catchy three-note accompaniment, it was driven home with gusto by the BBC Concert Orchestra. 

Drifting from one moment to the next, Joanne Clifton and Giovanni Pernice exuded a wonderful sense of the stately and the serene as they waltzed to Erik Satie’s dreamy, gentle and far-from-strenuous Gymnopédie No  1. With its timeless purity, the piano exercise was perfect for the pair to perform a series of slow poses, bringing together a delicate meeting of movement and stillness.

The Strictly peg may have brought in the http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/21/bbc-prommers-clapping-between-movements-is-barbarous/ - populist audience but the focus of the night was very much on the music. Alternating dance sequences with orchestral pieces, under the baton of the English National Ballet's Gavin Sutherland, ensured that the music remained at the fore.

And where better to hear the glorious, rapid descending scales of Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Pas de deux than in the grand setting of the Albert Hall. Bizet's energetic Farandole heightened the atmosphere, while Rodgers' Carousel Waltz had the audience in awe as the famous, shimmering glitterball hanging from the ceiling gave the illusion that we were all having a ride on a magical merry-go round. 

All in all it amounted to a jolly evening watching the masters at work.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/what-to-listen-to/proms-and-strictly-come-dancing-make-for-a-charming-pair-as-kati/ - TELEGRAPH.CO.UK

Posted By: deborah31
Date Posted: 22 July 2016 at 12:56
I bet Katie was even better!!
Sorry (really!) that Anton couldn't make it what with his 53rd, oops 50th!!! ha..ha...
will try and catch this tonight- thanks for the tip-off Bren.

-------------
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'

Date Posted: 23 July 2016 at 11:55
I did watch some of this (inbetween cricket highlights!!)
Didn't Katie look better with Aljaz (than Anton), or was this just me??
Anton missed a good night then for his big birthday, !!! they didn't say 50th celebrations just birthday, but guess it's a big one every year over 50, ha..ha..
For me the partnerships, based on dance alone, would have been

Kevin and Jeanette,
Gio, and Joanne
Aljaz and Karen....
Karen just looks too tall for little Kev!!
.....and Jeanette not tall enough for Aljaz

-------------
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'

Date Posted: 23 July 2016 at 12:09
she looked better with Aljaz but she was a bit ropey in the Quickstep

Janette is not good enough for Kevin or Aljaz really particularly in ballroom

think Kev and Karen do well for being dead height - Karen has improved greatly but still does not have the technical skill of Kev in some dances but fair play she really has improved especially in ballroom

Jo and Gio are perfect balance and of course being trained in same dance academy in Italy they are and easy match their tango last night was great and loved the samba from Kev and Karen a proper full on samba to samba music something we do not see on strictly sadly

Date Posted: 23 July 2016 at 12:39
tbh I'm not really a Janette fan (or a Karen for that matter)
Probably I would have liked to have seen Natalie with Aljaz, and a smaller pro female celeb with Kevin, so they'd look more like pocket rockets. (why I liked Vincent & Flavia)

-------------

Date Posted: 23 July 2016 at 13:34
the best two dancers on the night were Gio and Jo tbh that tango was superb 

Date Posted: 24 July 2016 at 14:05
There was a good write up today in the express (I'll look on line, left the paper at the in-laws)
Aljaz, Jo and Gio, and Kevin got a good write up/mention
Didn't mention Jenette funily enough, Karen got a mention with 'Kevin from Grimsby and his wife Karen'.

edit,
here it is:

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/theatre/692273/Dance-review-Strictly-Proms-Royal-Albert-Hall
Katie Derham, the Voice of the Proms and a semi-finalist in last year’s Strictly, compered a show to gladden the heart of any music or dance enthusiast.

Gavin Sutherland conducted the BBC Concert Orchestra in a history-making celebration of dance music from Irving Berlin to Peter Tchaikovsky that the public has taken to its heart.

To dance maker Jason Gilkinson’s steps, the Strictly Six, led by Janette Manrara and Aljaz Skorjanec apparently burst through the floor and swept us off our feet on one of the most enjoyable evenings I have ever spent at the Proms.

Many people may dismiss this sort of programme planning as distasteful crowd pleasing, but I bet Erik Satie (Gymnopedie No 1) and Aram Khachaturian (Masquerade) – not to mention Tchaikovsky – would have loved every minute of it.

The show opened with Jule Styne’s Gypsy overture followed by Richard Rogers’ The Carousel Waltz – music we have all grown up with but thanks to Sutherland and the wholehearted gusto of his orchestra’s musicians, it was like hearing it for the first time.

Who needs earphones when lush, deeply-loved melodies reach into every nook and cranny of the Hall’s crimson and gold elegance? Kevin “From Grimsby” Clifton received the biggest cheer as he entered with wife Karen.

Then, in a favourite Ballroom Waltz to Erik Satie’s tender Gymnopodie, Joanne Clifton and Giovanni Pernice reminded us what it’s all about – that life-changing aspect of the male/female union, often called love. Brave Katie Derham picked up that thread – though she appeared to have no difficulty in the process, with Skorjanic in a Viennese Waltz.

After the interval I have rarely heard such screams of approval in the Hall as Skorjanic threw Derham about a lot in Harry Warren’s 42nd Street and then, of course came the Argentinian Tango, energetically stamped out by Joanna Clifton and Giovanni Pernice. Then we had the Rhumba, the Samba and Let’s Face the Music and Dance. And there’s no answer to that.

The famous bust of Henry Wood, the Proms founder, oversaw the proceedings on his plinth by the organ and I swear the smile never left his face. And the cheeks of an ex-dancer of a certain age were severely exercised, too.

STRICTLY PROMS at the Royal Albert Hall, London SW7 (One night only; Proms tickets 0207 589 8212/bbc.co.uk/proms)

-------------

Date Posted: 25 July 2016 at 11:22
for those that did not see it here are all the dances except finale and Charleston

OPENING  [TUBE]lb2bhv8YsY8[/TUBE]

WALTZ JO AND GIO  [TUBE]DMSz6qvVZF4[/TUBE]

PASO   KEV AND KAREN  [TUBE]Sl5D1m4aq2U[/TUBE]

RUMBA  ALJAZ AND JANETTE  [TUBE]NyyVAEYdUy4[/TUBE]

JO AND GIO TANGO [TUBE]rhh32p2TZoE[/TUBE]

KEV AND KAREN SAMBA  [TUBE]Gq-vb6NJGdE[/TUBE]

Posted By: salsa-addict
Date Posted: 25 July 2016 at 13:18
Thanks for posting these, Bren, as I didn't see the programme. Loved the tango. I have seen Kevin and Karen dance a paso live at a weekend away and recognised some of the same moves. The dem' I saw left me breathless and with hairs standing on the back of my neck! Was that "really" a rumba from Aljaz and Janette? I noticed a couple of relevant moves (opening out, fan etc) and it "appeared" to be danced on 2, but I thought it had more of a contemporary feel, rather than a rumba feel?

Date Posted: 25 July 2016 at 13:52
the rumba was not to my taste at all pure contemporary and out of time for me

loved the tango and loved the samba a full on competition style samba

Date Posted: 25 July 2016 at 15:16
Do you have Katie's dances Bren? (with Aljaz)
I think she looked better with him, altho of course not pro standard

(as much as i like watching Aljaz, don't like him with Jenette, don't know why, same for Kevin with Karen- those long limbs and big feet- make me not able to watch them!! )

-------------

Date Posted: 25 July 2016 at 15:55
will have a look for you deb

know what you mean re karen no videos around of Kevin and his competitive partner Anna who was better match for him and they were brilliant

Here is a video from Dallas several years ago for Burn The Floor Kevin is dancing with Giselle Peacock  - she was Artem's first WIFE better height match

Janette on Burn the Floor never danced with Aljaz (not considered good match) height difference is a problem particularly in ballroom - but technically Janette is some way behind Aljaz

[tube]z7MCkbnPs68[/tube]

Date Posted: 25 July 2016 at 16:02
there ya go deb

[tube]InC1uliVs5g[/tube]

Date Posted: 25 July 2016 at 16:05
for me, I would love to dance to her level- to get around a dance floor with someone like Aljaz would be great.
When i did learn basic ballroom and latin, it made a huge difference with a pro dancer, especially in the exams (i only did first two lots)

-------------

Date Posted: 25 July 2016 at 16:16
Originally posted by Bren

the rumba was not to my taste at all pure contemporary and out of time
It probably was out of time then and I was mistaken because you have significantly more experience than I in such matters. At least I got the contemporary bit right.

Changing the subject slightly. I agree with Deb re dancing with someone who knows what they are doing. It is so, so much easier for you to follow and look relatively competent.

Date Posted: 25 July 2016 at 21:59
sorry salsa worded that wrong they were in time with the music just that the music wasnt rumba timing for me so it seemed off time :)

Date Posted: 26 July 2016 at 08:19
No problem Bren - it was certainly "odd". I would have struggled to dance a rumba to it!

Posted By: Jo Bird
Date Posted: 26 July 2016 at 21:57
Very enjoyable. Gio & Jo make a good pair. Loved their Waltz.

-------------
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Print Page | Close Window