Forum Discription: Mindless banter and chit-chat
URL: http://www.theblueroom.me.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36337
Printed Date: 21 Nov 2017 at 10:14

Topic: Rio
Posted By: Jo Bird
Subject: Rio
Date Posted: 21 July 2016 at 17:56
Only two weeks to go...

Is it safe for athletes to go? Will you be watching?

-------------
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Replies:
Posted By: Bren
Date Posted: 21 July 2016 at 22:43
love the olympics Jo and plan to watch maybe those interested could chat about it here?

not sure about safety - am worried for them all

Date Posted: 22 July 2016 at 07:53
I love the Olympics too Bren .

What are your fave sports? I really like diving
and gymnastics but find cycling a bit dull.

-------------
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Date Posted: 22 July 2016 at 11:11
I actually love most of it :) love the swimming and diving and gymnastics

all the athletics the tennis and dont mind the cycling

dont watch the shooting or fencing though :)

Posted By: deborah31
Date Posted: 22 July 2016 at 13:02
I'll try to catch some but may head north to visit friends and relatives in August some time.
I like the main track stuff, and the swimming.
Don't tend to watch gymnastics, or cycling really. Mainly tho, it's whatever is on when I switch on the TV
Of course I will make a big effort to watch the main events, ie 100m 200m (is Bolt going?) and Mo Farrah's events.

-------------
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2016 at 05:43
Lovely to see Andy Murray carrying the flag!

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2016 at 21:09
Missed the opening ceremony, as completely forgot, but think late time anyway. Thought it was another week away. Did catch the mens cycling today though when i got in from watching/helping at cricket. (if any cycling i prefer outdoor, than velodrome stuff) down some pretty steep hills, where a few came a cropper!. I don't know if a medal was expected from any GB'ers, but Froome, and another, that iforgotten the name of, came off their bikes on the last stretch.
Watched a little bit of the gymnastics (another i don't normally watch), and then just a bit of the swimming highlights. I believe the first expected swimming medal will be around 3.00am? (according to Clare B) from Adam Peaty, as he just broke a world record 100m. I won't be up for that, bit annoying the time difference, when it is behind us.

-------------
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'

Date Posted: 07 Aug 2016 at 07:45
Speaking of cycling...

Think Chris Froome was expected to win a medal saturday
and Lizzie Armistead today. Feel a bit sorry for her
after all the bad press.

Enjoyed the gymnastics... but didn't stay up to watch
it all. Looks like we might get a medal(s) there.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Aug 2016 at 20:30
just watched the end of the women's cycling, (turned tv on, it was on)
not surprised a dutch woman won tbh, they're born on a bike over there!!!
bad fall by another dutch woman.
think the swimming medal chance is tonight at 3.00am wasn't today.
have to fight for the tv, when cricket is on !! (Eng. beat Pakistan today so lead 2-1 now in the series)
spent most of yesterday at the local cricket club (washing cups, and serving teas tho,) so missed most of the action.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Aug 2016 at 10:12
Just watched the highlights, Adam Peaty and Jazz Carlin, first medals
Shame the Murray brother's are knocked out of Doubles Tennis, but Djokovic out of singles!! (Murray still in)
Did you see the look on the face of the William Sisters???? (knocked out, and they were favourites, not one bit happy)

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Aug 2016 at 12:53
Watched the diving last night. The Chinese are so good!

Sorry to see Andy & Jamie out of the doubles but at least
Andy's in with a shout for the gold in the singles.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 13:22
Great for Tom & Dan. Poor old Louis Smith.

Must be so tough when you train all those hours
and one little mistake costs the team a medal.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 22:19
I heard that Louis Smith changed his routine 10 minutes before???

I still think there are potential medals individually for some of them (gymnastics-men)

Idon't think there's been any medals since the 'shooting' guy on the tv today (bronze i think from memory, is needed back on the farm, so he has to return asap to UK/Somerset?)

-------------

Posted By: MargiABC
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 03:39
Hi everyone. I forgot to come on to the BR for the Olympics. In Australia Ch 7 has the rights to show it and they are showing the live events on 3 of their stations.
I saw the replay of the highlights of the opening ceremony as I missed the live broadcast. I think they did very well, even with a budget cut, it was still great.

Australia was leading the medal tally for the first couple of days. Very proud of the Women's rugby 7s who won gold in the first time event. Most of the team only started in this sport a few years ago. Also 2 swimming gold and 1 shooting gold. 2 swimming bronze, 1 diving bronze and 1 archery bronze to date.

I read that Vietnam won its first ever gold medal in archery which is wonderful.

On the down side of things - An Australian swimmer accused the Chinese swimmer of being a drug cheat just as they finished the race the other day. OK the Chinese guy failed a drug test some time ago, was suspended from international competition for a time. Obviously the suspension has finished and he must be clean now until proven otherwise. The incident is causing a lot of bad feeling.
I just don't like bad sportsmanship or cheating.
Two Australian coaches were robbed the other day as well. The Australian team have now been told not to wear their official uniforms outside the Olympic village when on down time so as not to be targeted.
One of the offical Australian newspaper photographers was targeted by a gang for his equipment. They had photos from CTV footage of what happened. Luckily when he went to the media section he spotted the thief trying to get in with his equipment. Officials were checking the thief's media credentials at the security checkpoint. He was arrested and the photographer got his equipment back.

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 10:38
I think the British team have had stuff stolen too haven't they?
I think that's the problem in a nation that has major problems/people in poverty.
I see even Clare Baldwin didn't take her wedding ring to Rio (is it diamond encrusted or something??).
I must admit when i recently went on holiday, I just wore plain rings, and didn't take any other jewellry, apart from dress stuff.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 21:50
gosh those diving budgie smugglers are mini/micro sized!! I could barely see the Union Jack..........
Anyway a 'Gold' in diving for GB, is this the first I think? (double synchronised).

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 21:55
Think it is the first ever diving gold Deb.
Hopefully Tom will get a second later this week.

Shaky moment for Murray earlier this evening...

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 23:48
Aren't the men now in the rugby finals against Fiji?
and didn't the men get a cycling medal this evening? (was at a friends house, and screen was on in background- looked as if they may have had a medal- maybe a gold one??)

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 15:56
yep gold in ccycling last night and 2 golds today so far in rowing 

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 16:53
was just talking to an 83 year old car park attendant for about 40mins!!re the olympics, he's watching it all, when he's not working!
He was very exited about the cycling gold last night.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 16:59
Woohoo. Team GB up to fourth place in the medals!

Just caught up with the men's all round gymnastics.
Third place for Max Whitlock... 108 years since
we last got a medal!

-------------

Posted By: SueM
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 21:57
Loving diving, gymnastics and cycling. Can't take stress when Andy on tennis court. Couldn't believe our loss to Fiji - and by such a huge gap. Good grief. The Fijians were from the poor areas and shacks of Fiji and they whooped us. Well done. They deserved it.

-------------
Never be flat. Never be sharp. Always be natural.

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 00:22
Originally posted by Jo Bird

Woohoo. Team GB up to fourth place in the medals!

Just caught up with the men's all round gymnastics.
Third place for Max Whitlock... 108 years since
we last got a medal!

3rd place now i think!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 00:35
btw anyone else watching at ridiculous o'clock??

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 17:45
still at 3rd in the table, won't see much tonight, as off out to a 60th.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 18:07
I can't stay up Deb. Have to watch highlights next day.

If you get back around midnight you'll catch the athletics.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 07:12
gold for Mo again then
shame Jessica missed out on Gold

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 20:21
Just watched the golf gold, and Max Whitlock, double gold
so looks like GB 2nd now in table, although I imagine China will be back soon.
Fingers crossed for Andy Murray, altho not watching.
A Gold and Silver due soon in the cycling too.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 07:42
Five golds in one day!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 12:17
Australia hasn't done that well in the last couple of days, but I'm still proud of our athletes.

Aussies athletes now banned from going out to popular nightspots for their own security.

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 16:08
It's enjoyable watching records being broken.
Also enjoyed watching the 'old favourites' back again.
Watched Usain Bolt, and the other 'known ' Jamaicans and Americans.
I was a big fan of Michael Johnson, so glad we have him as a commentator on the BBC. There was a 2 page feature today on the South African who took Michael Johnson's record- Wayde van Niekerk.
I'm also waiting to see if Bolt goes under the 19 seconds for the 200m (he vows to smash the record). I do think if he was going to do it, it should have been a few years ago.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 17:51
Just read an article about the Rio we don't see on TV
and how local people just can't afford tickets.

Why not give locals a chance to buy cut price tickets?
The Olympics should be for everyone if possible.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 18:12
I heard on the news, they were supposedly given the unsold tickets to local children?
It seems the stadium is in a wealthy area, and there is no way to get there for people from the poorer areas too??
It was a small vt on a Brazilian Judo player (young black woman)

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 11:28
Another gold for Australia in sailing. The Opals just missed getting past the quarter finals in basketball by 2 points.

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 16:29
I see Australia moved upto 9th now Margi, what was their hoped for tally?
GB were trying to beat 48, which they have now done (at 50) and think have a couple more in the pipeline. I don't know if their latest gold (also for sailing) has been added yet today. (edit, no it hasnt as altho in the bag the 2 ladies have to complete the race)

We had an exciting night last night watching Jason Kenny getting his 3rd Gold of the games in cycling . It took 3 attempts before the kieron actually completed. Couldn't go to bed until 11pm, was supposed to finish around 10

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 23:04
Just looked up Nicola Adams, see she is in the semi finals tomorrow.
Only seems to be 4 of them left then.
The final (if she makes it) possibly on Saturday evening (date/time to be determined). Could be another medal for GB

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 16:34
Currently watching the Brownlee brother's
China caught up with GB on the golds now, so fingers crossed they'll get a gold at least between them

Edit
Yes it was a gold and silver for the Brownlees!

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 19:16
Another good day for Team GB

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 11:13
I'm waiting to watch Bolt in last night's race (of course he wins) on the BBC 2 replay- I think this could be his last olympics.

I think Nicola Adams (boxing) has a good chance of gold now (in the final)
Don't know if any other Gold chances left now, just Mo Farah too.

just watched it , past his peak, Bolt still beats everyone. Will miss him at Tokyo
I don't think he'll ever break the 19 seconds now. (200m)
Shame Adam Gemili didn't get the bronze.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2016 at 07:01
Chloe Esposito has won Australia's first gold medal in the women's modern pentathlon. Congratulations Chloe.

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2016 at 16:58
Ono. Tom Daley hasn't qualified for the final.

How on earth did that happen?!

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2016 at 19:01
Watched the diving and the boxing at the cricket club
Tom wasn't diving that well today he was 15th i think, on his last dive came up from 18th I think.
Nicola did well in the boxing, I thought it was very close, was waiting to hear the decision, anyway another Gold for GB and Nicola, you can imagine she was very happy.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 09:42
Originally posted by deborah31

I'm happy with Australia's performance, but there are critics who say the our medal tally isn't good enough in comparison to previous years.

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 14:18
The closing ceremony was great. I loved the bird's eye view of the Christ the Redeemer and Sugarloaf Mountain. The Japanese PM's Super Mario was great too. My sister only saw the part where he popped out of the tunnel on the news, do she didn't see the lead up to it that was shown in the actual ceremony.

The Tokyo Olympics will be in a very similar time zone for Australia when it's on in 4 years time.

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 16:02
Originally posted by MargiABC

Originally posted by deborah31

I'm happy with Australia's performance, but there are critics who say the our medal tally isn't good enough in comparison to previous years.

I think people -myself included- tend to focus on results but the
Olympic spirit is about so much more than medals.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 19:51
I'm afraid missed the closing ceremony too,as in Amsterdam visiting the
Museums,pubs, and doing the touristy stuff, just
Had too see who final strictly celebs were.
Really enjoyed watching all the Olympics
Will miss Bolt, Farah, Phelps, etc at Tokyo

btw the Dutch really excited about their athletes, was watching them on a TV show last night, being interviewed on RTL4 (i think). I think they had a big home coming before we got there at Amsterdam RAI
In Schipol today saw some Ukraine athletes (still in their tracksuits obviously) heading home i think via Amsterdam.
We got more caught up though (not intentionally) in the end of a couple of weeks Gay Pride/rights etc... very lively on MOnday evening in the REd light district.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window