Forum Name: General Chat
Forum Discription: Mindless banter and chit-chat
URL: http://www.theblueroom.me.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36319
Printed Date: 22 Nov 2017 at 07:22

Topic: Brexit
Posted By: Jo Bird
Subject: Brexit
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2016 at 18:03
I've got no idea which way to vote... Anyone got any opinions either way?

-------------
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Replies:
Posted By: deborah31
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2016 at 21:55
Want to get out!!!!!! Fed up of paying for 2 governments
Lived in Holland the first time, when England wasn't in the 'Euromarket' , no difference in working there for us, so still movable workforce.
I personally don't want to fund Turkey. If there was a vote to join 'Europe' now i wouldn't vote for it. I don't know what will happen in Europe/Germany next.   I see a new uprising in Germany, from what i hear from Germans (friends of friends) they have had enough of Angela Merkel, I can see a new right coming in.
I think we need to take a chance and come out of it.

-------------
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'

Posted By: SueM
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 14:46
Totally agree Deb. We're voting out this end too. All this money they say we'll lose by coming out is nonsense. We'll save a fortune on payments to the EU and can use that for our NHS, schools etc.

Agree Angel in for a tough time in Germany. She's blown it with the number of refugees she's allowed in. Already been proved some of them were IS.

Also. have you noticed a stream of adverts on the tv by reps from Africa etc asking us in the UK to help them build up their infrastructure? The ads are put out by Direct Gov which is odd as the government is telling us we'll lose out on the jobs from abroad if we come out!Perhaps thy're covering all bases in case the GBP vote for out.

Another reason I want out is the rule book out of the EU. E.g. How can they tell us we can't dredge our rivers to stop flooding?

Other countries tell the EU to get stuffed from time to time so why can't we? Also what could they do to us if we did our own thing and didn't send all the monies? Chuck us out?

I think each side should stop scaremongering and put forward facts. It was loss of chocolate for Easter eggs yesterday if we come out!

-------------
Never be flat. Never be sharp. Always be natural.

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 16:07
bit trivial , want out too, so I can buy a new vacuum cleaner over 1600 suction!!. My old Miele of about 16 years of age (which i bought 2nd hand in Holland off an American ex-pat returning) is lasting- but when it's gone, that's it -down to European standards of less suction!

-------------
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 16:11
Sue M, I don't think we can call them 'Easter Egg's any more tho. ?? They are now just chocolate eggs!! (don't know where that rule came from, but Easter is now missing)

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/easter-disappears-from-nestle-and-cadbury-egg-packages-1.2586118

-------------

Posted By: Andrew
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 17:52
Can't agree with you on this - I don't see many benefits from leaving the EU and the thought of Farage and that buffoon Boris' face in the event of an 'out' vote took away the minuscule chance of me voting that way!

I have a feeling it will be an 'Out' vote but here in Scotland we'll definitely vote to stay - although that might mean another referendum and independence for Scotland would be a lot worse in my opinion!

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 18:55
Originally posted by deborah31

Sue M, I don't think we can call them 'Easter Egg's any more tho. ?? They are now just chocolate eggs!! (don't know where that rule came from, but Easter is now missing)

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/easter-disappears-from-nestle-and-cadbury-egg-packages-1.2586118

Heard that on 5 Live last night. They were discussing today's papers and it came up. The C/E Bishop said it was ridiculous and gave a historical reason for choc eggs. Hadn't heard it before but it made sense.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 18:57

bit trivial , want out too, so I can buy a new vacuum cleaner over 1600 suction!!. My old Miele of about 16 years of age (which i bought 2nd hand in Holland off an American ex-pat returning) is lasting- but when it's gone, that's it -down to European standards of less suction!

Not trivial at all. Wish Brussels would butt out of telling us what we can do with our vacuum cleaners etc. Far more important things to get to grips with. Don't know what the heck we're paying their wages for.

We've got a vac over 1600 and we've dared it to blow up....like our last one.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 19:08
Originally posted by Andrew

Can't agree with you on this - I don't see many benefits from leaving the EU and the thought of Farage and that buffoon Boris' face in the event of an 'out' vote took away the minuscule chance of me voting that way!

I have a feeling it will be an 'Out' vote but here in Scotland we'll definitely vote to stay - although that might mean another referendum and independence for Scotland would be a lot worse in my opinion!

I'll give you Boris. But I do think we'd be better off out unless the EU works for the Continent rather than itself. Each country knows its strengths and weaknesses. They can't all come under one umbrella. We're all too different. But we need to start working together to stand a chance. I've friends in France, Germany, Spain and Holland all saying the same thing.

If we come out and Scotland goes independent, the EU said they would not automatically let them in to Europe. How would that work Andrew?

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 19:18
Ha ha. I'm still calling them Easter eggs

-------------
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 19:40
Originally posted by SueM

I'll give you Boris. But I do think we'd be better off out unless the EU works for the Continent rather than itself. Each country knows its strengths and weaknesses. They can't all come under one umbrella. We're all too different. But we need to start working together to stand a chance. I've friends in France, Germany, Spain and Holland all saying the same thing.

If we come out and Scotland goes independent, the EU said they would not automatically let them in to Europe. How would that work Andrew?

I think being in the union is more important to me than being in the EU so if the UK voted 'out' and there was another independence referendum I'd still vote no.

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 22:11
Totally agree Andrew. I love being part of a United kingdom but not the EU. It seems to have gone so off course from what it set out to be. Plus it's costing us billions that could be better spent here at home.

-------------

Posted By: MargiABC
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 12:00
Originally posted by Jo Bird

Me too. I checked the Cadbury ones made here and on the pack it states "Multiply the joy of Easter with Cadbury". Another Cadbury pk of 20 hollow eggs about 5-6cm long just has "hunting eggs" on the pack.

I remember reading an article in a magazine a while ago that Cadbury chocolate in the US is made by Hershey. Several sweet shops operated by British expats sold imported Cadbury chocolates from the UK as other expats preferred the taste of the ones from the UK. Hershey's started a lawsuit against the importers and won, but some of the smaller shops are still selling them.

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 20:17
Originally posted by Jo Bird

so am I!!!,
Not keen on the hershey's /reese bars we get here, will check if they are made in US, think they are just sweeter aren't they? (more sugar??)

-------------

Date Posted: 21 June 2016 at 18:03
Two days to go... What do people think the result will be?

Hoping for Brexit but think Remain might just edge it.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 June 2016 at 16:34
Very disappointed by the result My area voted 55-45 in favour of remain.

I am disappointed but I will congratulate leave - even if I didn't personally agree with them they clearly ran an effective campaign and fair play to them.

Date Posted: 24 June 2016 at 17:50
Hi Andrew. Sorry it's bad news for you.

I don't know if Leave ran an effective campaign
or if Remain just ran a bad one.

I was open to vote either way but Cameron's
threats put me off Remain.

Still very surprised by the result.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 June 2016 at 04:57
We are shocked too!!!
Currently on holiday on St Maarten
So all Americans here, we did vote leave but didnt believe
That it would happen
Our daughter voted remain
I believe 72% of 18-24 yrs wanted to remain, but only
42% turn out of that group
She thinks we are doomed. I have told her we were
Great before the EU and we can be great again
I did not like the threats from Europe and being
Controlled by a 2nd government in Brussels
I think it is worse to regret what you didn't do,than
What you did, this may be our only chance to 'see
What we can do'
If things go pear shaped and we screw up we have only
Ourselves to blame,which is fair enough,I won't
Be surprised if others follow
Just wondering now who can take over from
Cameron??
It's been all doom and gloom here on the news channels
Cnn. Fox etc and stocks fallen etc-get only American
Channels here, I believe it will gradually get back
To what things were before- here the people we
Have met are rightly more concerned on the trump/Clinton
Situation, but they all interested in the UK
I. Must admit all the Americans we have met so far
Really good company-and all seem to be very fond of
The UK
At least what they are telling us😀

-------------

Date Posted: 25 June 2016 at 07:40
I've been watching it on the news. I believe voting wasn't compulsory? Is that true? So those that didn't vote can't grumble if it didn't turn out the way they wanted? We have our federal elections in 2 weeks to determine which party will lead the country and who will be PM. At the moment it's Malcolm Turnbull and the Liberal party. Remember we have had a revolving door of PMs over the last few years. Back stabbing at its best. At least the Brexit on the news has taken some of the election advertising off the media for a day or two. Analysts here are working out how it will affect the Australian economy and other aspects here. It might be a bit tough for tourism from Australia to the UK as the exchange rate was already quite low before Brexit, so could be a worse in weeks to come. The Australian reaction is probably the least of the U.K.' s problems. More pressing for you and the effect on the UK.

Date Posted: 25 June 2016 at 08:26
I'm listening to my niece's radio program and today it's themed as "Brexit: a Musical Anthology". She's just played "I could Be Happy" by Altered Images and "Should I Stay or Should I Go" by The Clash.

Date Posted: 25 June 2016 at 20:01
Will be brief, as just lost my post , yes voting should
Be compulsory in the UK too
We used to get fined if we didn't vote in aus elections
When we were overseas, first temporarily
We eventually de registered as no longer tax payers
I'm fed up with whining UK expats who mainly
Live in Europe and have not paid UK taxes
In years , they still think they should vote (I think
They can Upto 15 years)

-------------

Date Posted: 25 June 2016 at 20:44
I don't think the vote should be compulsory...
but the irony is, if it was, Remain might have won.

Looking at the stats it's clear 18-24 year olds let
the Remain side down. Not your daughter Deb!

I see there's a petition with 2 million signatures
calling for a re-run of the referendum...

-------------

Date Posted: 22 July 2016 at 23:27
It now seems very likely there'll be a second independence referendum - Sturgeon annoys me no end, I appreciate Scotland (including me) voted in but we voted as the UK and she should be focusing on getting the best deal for us as the first minister!

Date Posted: 23 July 2016 at 12:02

It now seems very likely there'll be a second independence referendum - Sturgeon annoys me no end, I appreciate Scotland (including me) voted in but we voted as the UK and she should be focusing on getting the best deal for us as the first minister!

Yes I can see a 2nd referendum for Scotland, but to be honest, Europe wouldn't
accept Scotland on it's own. With the drop in Oil prices, it wouldn't have anything to offer Europe, Yorkshire, with more people has more chance.
Scotland's deficit is too big, and the downturn in Oil (the main /only industry left??) doesn't help. Maybe if the 5million Scots switched to the Euro currenty and became part of perhaps Benelux or something,might be more of a possiblility?? (We have problems getting rid of Scottish pound notes as it is down here, people don't like them)

I'm sorry I can't watch Nicola Sturgeon, I just switch off is she is on.
Meanwhile Theresa May is growing on me....

As for the labour party, what a shambles.........although not a fan, I do admire Jeremy for sticking to his guns, and staying put.
I was talking to a Belgian man on holiday, and he could totally see why Britain voted to leave, he said his country (ironically) had enough too?? I suppose Belgian have their own government in Brussels too??(as well as the European one)

-------------

Date Posted: 23 July 2016 at 13:46

Yes I can see a 2nd referendum for Scotland, but to be honest, Europe wouldn't
accept Scotland on it's own. With the drop in Oil prices, it wouldn't have anything to offer Europe, Yorkshire, with more people has more chance.
Scotland's deficit is too big, and the downturn in Oil (the main /only industry left??) doesn't help. Maybe if the 5million Scots switched to the Euro currenty and became part of perhaps Benelux or something,might be more of a possiblility?? (We have problems getting rid of Scottish pound notes as it is down here, people don't like them)

I'm sorry I can't watch Nicola Sturgeon, I just switch off is she is on.
Meanwhile Theresa May is growing on me....

As for the labour party, what a shambles.........although not a fan, I do admire Jeremy for sticking to his guns, and staying put.
I was talking to a Belgian man on holiday, and he could totally see why Britain voted to leave, he said his country (ironically) had enough too?? I suppose Belgian have their own government in Brussels too??(as well as the European one)

Agreed - I wouldn't be happy at all if we in Scotland voted to leave the UK.

As a lifelong Labour voter the state of the party is terrible - and at the next general election I'm seriously considering changing.

Date Posted: 24 July 2016 at 14:02
Where's Nick Clegg and where have the liberals gone too?
They should be taking advantage of the labour situation, timing is everything

-------------

Print Page | Close Window