Forum Name: Strictly Come Dancing 2015
Forum Discription: All the news and gossip from the new series of SCD
URL: http://www.theblueroom.me.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36315
Printed Date: 24 Nov 2017 at 20:36

Topic: American Elections
Posted By: SueM
Subject: American Elections
Date Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 23:11
Are we all following the elections in the good old US of A? The thought of Donald Trump being in charge is positively frightening, especially now he has added the veterans and the military to his list of people he has upset during his campaign!

Do they really know who they are voting for? Can you truly trust a man whose hair changes colour daily?!

-------------
Never be flat. Never be sharp. Always be natural.

Replies:
Posted By: deborah31
Date Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 09:23
I'm hoping Hilary gets her chance, probably her last, and will only go the one term. It would be nice to see finally a female president. My daughter has been following them more than me, she wants any Democrat (is it Joe Biden v Hillary?? I have only been glimpsing it). There's been some funny jokes/pics going around facebook re Trump etc.. funny Canadian ones especially. I have liked Obama, although my 80 year old father-in-law says he's done nothing! He's gone grey now though hasn't he?? My daughter says there's been some funny American interviews with people on the street re the elections etc., especially in the Southern States, pro Trump. I think she's suprised at how stupid, closed minded,and ignorant some people are, and some even said 'segregation great, bring it back!) I don't think Trump should be underestimated though, I used to watch the US apprentice about 15 years ago (why i don't really like the GB version and don't watch it) Donald Trump is/was a brilliant shrewd business man on it. Even though i love Alan Sugar, he's not as good as Trump was on the US show.

-------------
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'

Posted By: Jo Bird
Date Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 09:29
It seems to take forever to choose two candidates...

-------------
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 12:27
Totally agree Jo. Stupidly long election process and ten they still get it wrong!!!

Trump great on Apprentice. I prefer him to Sugar as well. Very shrewd business man as you say. trouble is just because he's great at real estate and business will he be any good as president? He's alienated loads of groups already. Military as I said yesterday, women, LBTGs and so many more.

The southern vote is so strange. Do they actually know what he's been saying? Couldn't believe he didn't take chance to disassociate himself from KKK?

I want Mrs C to win. As you say will be good to see woman in White House and at least she knows political ropes.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 14:36
Originally posted by SueM

Totally agree Jo. Stupidly long election process and ten they still get it wrong!!!

I want Mrs C to win. As you say will be good to see woman in White House and at least she knows political ropes.

I personally think she was the brains behind Bill!
I had a chance to go to meet Bill Clinton for a dinner in Calgary (a charity evening about $200 per ticket, in approx 2000 from memory , but nobody would go with me! (of my book club friends) I wish I had gone, Whether you like him or not I think he is/was a very charismatic character. I think this is Hillary's last chance, she deserves it, put up with Bill too.

-------------
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 17:56
Do you think Hilary will be able to take the pace at 68?

-------------
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 19:37
Originally posted by Jo Bird

Do you think Hilary will be able to take the pace at 68?

yes think she's a tough old bird, and age doesn't seem to have affected her in anyway (at least intellectually) that I can see.
Maybe it would have been best for her to have been in before Barack, but I think she can go 4 years. After all how old was Reagan??

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 13:00
don't want Bernie Sanders as his voice annoys me more than Hillary's!- just listened to him. How old is he too?? and how old is Trump?? Bernie looks the oldest by far!

ok, just googled it all (what happened before google!!
Bernie is 74
Hillary 68
Donald 70 in June!

Hillary gets my vote!!- and not because of age, I want a female president.

btw my daughter knows more about the US elections than the Brexit drama (of which she knows nothing- and nothing about UK politics, she will have a vote in June!! (as she is 18.5)

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 20:48
Donald seems more manic by the hour. As I'm not sleeping much at mo I'm listening to Radio 5 Live thro the night. Learning heaps about the US elections. Hope to high heaven Hils gets in. The democrat she's up against looks ancient.

I can't take Trump seriously with hair like his. Is it a toupee? How much onger is it til one gets over the finish line?

-------------

Posted By: Bren
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 00:10
personally think they are all bad, used to like the clintons but feel there must be some truth inn all the twisty dealings they get up to, Sanders seems to live on another planet and all the republicans are scary - shake them all up in a lucky bag and not one would make a statesman

Hillary best of a poor bunch

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 12:43
Originally posted by Bren

personally think they are all bad, used to like the clintons but feel there must be some truth inn all the twisty dealings they get up to, Sanders seems to live on another planet and all the republicans are scary - shake them all up in a lucky bag and not one would make a statesman Hillary best of a poor bunch

not a big fan of any politicians really, all as bad. Always thought/heard Hillary was the brains behind Clinton, maybe he played upto this with all his other stuff going on etc...(Monica saga etc...)He was the one with the charm and charisma (imo)
The Blairs annoyed me the most, glad I didn't live in UK when he was in power. They had a lot of property dealings going on etc.., - they all have. An Acquaintance i have here, ex Labour MP, retired young for many years has several million pound properties, and on a fantastic pension (have been in a couple of said M.P. s houses). If M.P.s are not on a 'huge' salary, they are making their money elsewhere (obviously have the time and connections etc..)

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 14:10
I despair at times at those who run the country.   We think we have progressed over the centuries but it is just the same - The Percy's who controlled much of nothern england in medieval times are still there (harry and william attended the Duke of Northumberland daughters wedding last year) - as are many of the 'old nobility' still around

Borris and Cameron both descended on different lines from the Hanoverian King William IV (think they look like the florid faced people of that time :)  ) and George Osbourne or Gideon as he was christened is the eldest son of Peter Osbourne the 17th Baronet, of Ballentaylor to name just a few in the present government - who have no idea whatsoever what the average working persons life is like.  Being a scouser will never forgive Borris for his Spectator article re Hillsborough especially since it has come out that the thatcher goverment covered so much up

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 14:12
for me there is no one to vote for at the moment

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 14:47
Totally agree with you both. George O has a smarmy face that wants to make me punch it. As do IDS and David C. You're right in that they haven't got a clue about normal living.

Can't remember which one it was but one of the daft buggers proudly proclaimed he'd lived on the streets for a night so he could get an understanding of what it felt like! Absolute tosh?

For starters he would be off the streets the next day and back home in his warm comfortable bed. Secondly the TV crew accidentally showed you the two policemen guarding him. Very realistic.

I get so mad when they do this sort of thing. They'd be better using the ten empty houses in London per homeless person to help get them off the streets, give them an address and then help them back to work now they have an address. Perhaps we should all stand as MPs.

I keep getting be mails asking me if I would like to stand for UKIP?!

Off to hospital in next four weeks to have kidney out. Getting bit spooked by it all.

Have you been out Bren? Hope it went well.

XXXXXX

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 19:18
oh hope all  goes well sue, my friend had to have her kidney out last year she was so very ill before the op but is fab now and yes like you she was spooked - I am sure like Mo you will sail through it .   Went out was like getting out off jail :)

saw today an article from Canada about an empty tent city in Saudi (they use it for the Haj) with plumbing, roads, electricity and air conditioning - it can house 3 million - why oh why can they not help their fellow muslims?

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 14:58
So glad you got out Bren. You've started. You've just got to keep going. Small steps at first.

Thank you for your best wishes. They help. Still spooked and thinking what if on a daily basis. And as for this incessant need to cry.....driving me nuts. Just got pre op letter through. Next Friday. Having lunch with my other half and two friends two days later. Need a dark area of restaurant incase I start blubbering again.

Didn't know that about Saudi. That's awful. They should be ashamed of themselves. All the Saudis are doing are sitting back and watching the West pour billions in. Why are we allowing this to happen? We seem loath here to challenge the wealthy middle East. Oil seems to come to mind. Disgusting.

Changing subject Have you seen Aliona's newspaper interview? Says pro dancers worked too hard for too little pay on SCD.

-------------

Posted By: salsa-addict
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2016 at 15:42
Just been catching up after having a break since the end of last season and wanted to say a couple of things.
Firstly, keep your pecker up Sue! Positive thinking can do so much to aid recovery. I know that it is much easier to say than to do, but hang on in there!
Lovely to hear that you too, Bren, are beginning to feel as though things are getting better.
I think next season's Strictly might be interesting, with a number of new faces. Let's hope that they are all good dancers/teachers first and good personality/looks second. I hope the producers don't try to introduce too many new tricks in order to try and boost viewing etc. Back to basics - real dancing and fewer gimmicks is what I would like to see.

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 17:37
Positive thinking on a bit of a downer just now.Not me at all. Norm quite positive! Got date today. 7th April. Got to be on ward at half seven!! I'm norm only just getting off to sleep at that time at mo.

Been told to rest and relax. Hmmm. Not doing either well.Not good at anything much. Hate being out of control!

Thanks for your thoughts S/A. Quiet at this time of year on here isn't it? Are you following US elections? Trump scaring a lot of people. I can't take the words President trump seriously. Is it a title or an order?!

Hope you're ok Bren and still getting out and about.

XXX

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 18:01
Very quiet indeed! I am off to the USA for 3 weeks at the weekend - it'll be interesting to pick up the vibes over there. My worry is that we'll end up being out of the EU with "Trumpety Trump" as our only ally. Scary thoughts!

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 22:40
We could end up with Bo Jo as our PM, Putin for Russia, Trump for the US and the loony in N Korea. That would be a good time to volunteer for Mars!!!

Have a lovely 3 weeks. Let us know what the political vibes are really like. XXX

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 18:26
Hope you have a great time Salsa! Whereabouts are you going?

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 21:20
Thanks Jo and Sue. Off to Memphis & Nashville then some time on the coast in South Carolina.

Posted By: MargiABC
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 12:27
Have a good time in the US Salsa.

I'm hoping Hillary makes it into the history books as the next President. She's got the brains and the credentials. It will be a scary time if Trump gets in. He might be a good business man, but what political experience does he have? Oh I know, some other politicians have this - foot in mouth disease.

We have had so many prime ministers in Australia in the last few years. An election caused one change, the rest from party back stabbing. We had from the Labour Party Kevin Rudd who won the election in 2007. He came through the next election in 2010. Julia Gillard, his deputy PM overthrew him and became PM. Kevin came back and overthrew her and became PM again, but short lived. Next election 2013 Labour out, Liberals in with Tony Abbott as PM. He was overthrown by Malcolm Turnbull who is our current PM, but for how long? Tony is itching to get the job back. Election later this year.
Media have been scrutinising Malcolm's speeches. A couple of lines he used in a serious way were from TV shows, including Scoobie Doo.

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 22:26
Scooby Doo? Ye gods. We could all do better than the showers we have in for politicians.

Going to be very scary if Trump gets in. All his rhetoric is frightening. Because he's been rude to the war vets, women, the disabled and most ethnic minorities, Hillary can hopefully pick up all their votes plus the usual Democrats. I'm more interested in the US elections than our referendum and elections in May and June.

I like Hillary. Read her biography last year and found myself liking her more afterwards. Also read Bill's. An interesting person. He looks a bit ill at the moment. Gone very thin.

Right back to Martin Shaw as Dalgleish. He's getting better looking as he gets older!

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 10:26
have a great time in US Salsa, Sue - it is hard waiting for an op date - easier said than done isnt it trying to relax - as you said positive thoughts may help

Well got out and about Mothers Day to see mum and may venture out Easter Sunday :) little steps

the axis of evil BoJo, Trump and Putin in power :(

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 13:22
See Trump and Cruz now trading insults about wives. Well Trump def showing his true colours! Tell me, that blob on his head isn't his real hair surely! Is it a toupee? Just can't take him seriously.

Well done for Mothers'Day Bren. Like you say small steps.

Getting a bit of a cold and snuffles. Will they still op if I have a cold? Also doc strike on day of op. Going well so far. Trying to wrap up if I go out and taking Echinacea 3 times a day. Always used to work.

Was thinking yesterday, yes that's where you saw smoke billowing out of the house, why don't they ask some of the Foxy Bingo dancers to join SCD? Would bring an air of comedy to the whole thing! They are on the beginning and end of part breaks on Jeremy Kyle. So unreal it's frightening.

Yes I'm a Kyle watcher if only to see people worse off than me, or more idiotic than me. Very entertaining on a basic no brainpower required level. Suits me just now.

Is anyone doing anything out of the ordinary for Easter? I've been told to stay in. Looking out of the window I'll do what I'm told for once.

Happy Easter everyone.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 17:32
Happy Easter Sue

I've got me feet up here. No brother, sisters, nephew or niece.
Unusual for a Bank Holiday... Enjoying the peace and quiet.

-------------

Posted By: MargiABC
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2016 at 03:07
Happy Easter everyone. I went to church this morning. Great service. My sisters like the 8am traditional service. I like the 10am family service so I can sleep in, but its also really modern and songs with drums, guitars and keyboards rather than an organ.
Lots of chocolate in the house, luckily it doesn't tempt me. I think I still have choccy eggs from 2 years ago. Bin time for them. My sister is sitting next to me eating a piece of rocky road Easter egg. No temptation here.

Posted By: Andrew
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2016 at 20:46
Hi everyone - how are you all?

Been a quiet year so far for us - off to London for a week on the 4th which should be a nice enough break.

Looking forward to speaking with you all when autumn comes.

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2016 at 22:06
Have a good time in the great metropolis. Whereabouts are you going?

Not too well at moment Andrew. Read back on these entries and it will tell you everything.

Sorry Bren I know you don't like bad language but I'm starting to brick it closer to April 7th it becomes. Anyone know any calming mantras I can say between then and now. Never realised I was such a coward until now. No mention of magic mushrooms et al please!!!

-------------

Posted By: Andrew
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 00:03
Originally posted by SueM

Have a good time in the great metropolis. Whereabouts are you going?

Not too well at moment Andrew. Read back on these entries and it will tell you everything.

Sorry Bren I know you don't like bad language but I'm starting to brick it closer to April 7th it becomes. Anyone know any calming mantras I can say between then and now. Never realised I was such a coward until now. No mention of magic mushrooms et al please!!!

Just read back - it must be terrible having a big operation like that - I hope it all goes fine for you Sue.

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 00:55
Sue always poo pooed my sister when she comes up with a tea for all ails but when we were all stressed out with all that happened in the last year took her advice and regularly have herbal teas - I find chamomile particularly good for calming and raspberry leaf tea ( I get both from barrats)

you would not be normal if the thought of an op makes you nervous Sue - as for that cold as long as you do not get chesty with it should not affect your op

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 01:22
Thanks Bren. Just stay online til the 7th with your words of wisdom. I love raspberry tea. Will start drinking more of it. Don't know why I'm so pessimistic about this op when I've survived 2 others and not wound myself up like this. Perhaps it's the C word. Haven't made allowance for it in my life just now. Plus the fact is was found by accident. Not sleeping at all. Taking me til 6 or 7 am to get off.

Thanks for being there. Sorry if I'm being a pain. Night night. XXX

-------------

Posted By: Maisie
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 14:12
I've never even had a blood test Sue, so can't imagine what you must be feeling. Think I'd fall apart if I had to face what you are. How people put themselves through cosmetic surgery, I don't know! Any op would be scary for me but with the C word too, totally get why you're wound up.

Unfortunately, I do get where you're coming from Bren :(. We lost several family members & friends in a short space of time. My dad & auntie died on the same day (she'd been ill but dad was a shock - poor mum lost her husband & sister within a couple of hours).

As for the US elections - anyone but Trump please!!

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 14:29
Hi Maisie. I'll stop feeling sorry for myself soon. Must be driving you all nuts! Sorry all.

Who on earth are all the Trump supporters? Where are they coming from? The man is a dangerous one. His latest lines? He's going to allow S Korea and Japan to have atomic weapons!What right has he to give them the right? Perhaps he could sell them one of his businesses while he's at it.

I do so hope he doesn't get in. The Americans won't know what's hit them til it's too late. Plus it will cost the country a fortune in hair stylists!!

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 23:52
no it is not feeling sorry for yourself - gettinng your concerns out sort of helps and expressing them to online friends who don't know you in the offline world sort of 'easier' if you get my drift - always helps me to chat over probs with my online friends:)

As for sleep try some lavender tea in with the raspberry leaf tea :)

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 23:57
Thanks Bren. Don't move from your seat until after next Thursday! I can only get worse before then. In fact this could be a good time for you to go on holiday. Night petal. XXX

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 19:04
Hang in there Sue. Only a week to wait now.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 22:04
And counting!!!!! Overdosing on herbal teas!!!Under the advice of Doc Bren!

Have you seen the latest Trump cock up? Wanting to punish women who have had abortions retrospectively?! Is the man naturally cutting his chances or what? If the law against abortions comes in he wanted to punish all women who had had one while it was legal. Even my law degree can't get round that one.

After realizing he'd dropped a googly he quickly changed it to punishing the doctors, which he couldn't do either. Now he's totally cutting women out of his voting pool.

Does anyone out there like him? Haven't found anyone yet, but then again, I'm not American and neither are they!

-------------

Posted By: Eviesmum
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 09:02
He's a complete Dick.

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 13:58
Originally posted by Eviesmum

He's a complete Dick.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 23:41
to cheer you up Sue watch this and defy you not to enjoy it :))

[tube]EmnSm_d2ll4[/tube]

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 12:56
Sorry Bren. Can't see link.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 16:56
here's the link,SueM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmnSm_d2ll4#t=13 very good.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 22:09
Thanks Bren. Thanks Debs! Love it!!!

Mum has bought me a silver angel pendant and gave it to me today. She's going to have to work overtime but I love her. Can you wear jewelry when you go in to op theatre?

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 12:08
Back from the USA to report. Many residents over there appear to be equally worried about Trump. Infact, the Republicans are, apparently, considering not accepting him as their nominee, even if he achieves the majority! He is the candidate getting most publicity though. I was approached by a lady in a supermarket and asked what I thought about him - was quite worried about how to phrase my reply, but she agreed with my views. He seems to appeal to the same demographic type as many Ukip supporters in the UK. Clinton is not getting very good press over there and doesn't come over as very dynamic. She and Cruz "appear" to be similar in that they are prepared to say/do whatever they think will gain votes. Sanders comes across as most genuine, but almost too nice and probably not tough enough for a tough job. Think overall they are in a very similar position to the UK - no-one stands out as a real contender. Don't really envy them

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 16:57
Thanks for the report Salsa

-------------

Print Page | Close Window