URL: http://www.theblueroom.me.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36116
Printed Date: 18 Nov 2017 at 16:02

Topic: New Reading room
Posted By: SueM
Subject: New Reading room
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2015 at 16:11
Am I in the right place?!!!

-------------
Never be flat. Never be sharp. Always be natural.

Replies:
Posted By: Bren
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2015 at 16:12
yes sue 

Posted By: Eviesmum
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2015 at 18:20
Sue are you choosing the first book as it was your idea.

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2015 at 18:46
think so Eviesmum am waiting for what it is going to enjoy this

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2015 at 21:12
I'm reading red Joan for my other book club.

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 00:39
good?

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 07:41
Yes not too bad. Its an easy read thankfully after the few trawlers we've had recently

Posted By: deborah31
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 15:42
sorry I can't join in, as only reading Text's/manuals and non-fiction at the moment, might be ok in June!! - just ordered another Neil Thompson off Amazon!

-------------
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 17:11
Picking one book for us all to read mihjt be difficult - and expensive - if we've not got it. Shall we all read a book of choice - fiction or non fiction - and review it on this site? That way Deb can join in if she wants to with her non fiction.

If everyone wants us to do one book per fortnight that's ok, but everyone reads at different rates etc. What do you think peeps? I also don't think I should pick all the books - unfair to everyone else!

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 17:13
At the moment I'm reading Tess Gerritson's new Rizzoli and Isles (no 11), Linda Bellingham's recent book and Len Goodman's book of his London. The latter is surprising me somewhat.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 19:52
Ok well ill read and review red Joan then. I read slowly, our books are monthly, would that be ok?

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 19:54
What was Linda's book like, I fancied reading it. I like an autobiography. I've read Katie pipers first one, that was good. My favourite was Warwick Davis's one. Loved that one.

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 19:58
Originally posted by Eviesmum

Ok well ill read and review red Joan then. I read slowly, our books are monthly, would that be ok?

Absolutely brill! I'm just going to sign in when I've got something to say! My other half says good luck to all of you, so I'll keep my words to few. A miracle but I'll try.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 20:08
I'm glad I'm reading Linda's book.Couldn't do it until now as a friend of a friend died last year of breast,stomach and bowel cancers. Her docs had missed it. She died after 10 days. Bit scared of what I might read but she has a wonderful way of looking at life.

The relationship between her and Michael, her husband, is very special. I haven't got the feeling that she is scared of the end, but just wants to be in control of how it happens. I'm half way thro and will come back when I'm further in.

What's Red Joan about? I'm sorry to admit I've not heard of it. You could have a convert by end of Jan.

I'm a quick reader due to university. We had to read a book a week, sometimes 2 books. No great hassle for me as I love reading. But I am sorry to say I have never been able to get into The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings or most of Charles Dickens - I find him quite depressing and can't do him and real life at the same time!

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 17:20
ha..ha. I have never been a fan of the hobbit, lord of the rings stuff either, i have no idea what they are about?? well a ring of some sort, that gives power, that is it!! I also gave up on Harry Potter after about the 3rd book too. In this house, no-one reads novels !! (only film watching!!-and I don't really do that) my daughter hasn't read a novel in years!(apart from her GCSE ones last year, they were dreadful, i gave up on them too) and i have never known my husband to read a book beside a manual, he said having to read for work is enough!! He bought a kindle 2nd hand two years ago, off the internet, loaded with a 1000 books he hasn't read one yet on his travels, always catching up with minutes of meetings, and emails etc. Studying engineering at Uni, he never had to read a novel

-------------
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 17:27
the only books i have read btw in the last 3 years, are Linwood Barclay, and Lee Child, as i do like crime/thriller genre.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 20:21
Originally posted by deborah31

the only books i have read btw in the last 3 years, are Linwood Barclay, and Lee Child, as i do like crime/thriller genre.

I also like Lee Child. Very well written. Have you watched the Tess Gerritsen series Rizzoli and Isles on Sky Alibi? Got all 11 books on my Kindle and as usual books and tv have very little in common. 5 series and 61 episodes a good clue here! Tess G is a physician married to a physician so the pathology elements are very real, especially in the books.

A good one to read is Tess' The Bone Garden which is set in the 1830s in Boston.

I do love my Kindle. Makes it so easy to read anywhere, anyhow. Joined Kindle Unlimited today and promtly downloaded 5 books (as if I've read all the others on my account!) including 2 cook books - one for slow cooker and one for soups.

That's the problem having all students in the home - whatever level and age - life revolves around course books. I used to feel guilty if I read my own books rather than the uni set. Then I thought to hell with it, I'm going rogue and got my own shipped in. You have to relax.

A friend's daughter started at Oxford last Sept and arrived with the entire editions of Beatrix Potter, Winnie the Pooh and The Twilight series. If it's good enough for Oxford it's good enough for you and me!

Does your hubby get time to read? His job sounds very high flying or intense..or both! XX

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 18:30
no he never reads, never has done, only manuals and documents, connected to his job, on holiday he enjoys being with the kids, playing sport or other sports, and games with them like cards etc.. so doesn't read there either, plus he is social, so likes to meet people and will talk to anyone etc... where I like to hide behind a book and chill on holiday!!! yes he is covering a few jobs, so has flown to India, Dubai, Canada, and Houston last year, as well as his usual Dutch base.
We all like doing Sudoko's here
I really like Linwood Barclay, can't remember how i found his first book (big seller- maybe a Richard and Judy??) I have borrowed the Kindle, and read a couple of books (the book thief- so i did stray off my authors! and another Lee Child.. )but i prefer paperback i never buy new, always 2nd hand from charity (why i have read the Lee Child, and Linwood books out of order!)

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 22:03
Thank goodness you like Sudoku. I adore it but sometimes feel like people see it as a sin! Got 2 Sudoku books for Christmas with the puzzles going from Easy to Devilish! I am that woman on the train who does a fist clench when she finishes one of the latter - not very often I hasten to add!

Your husband is very lucky going to all these countries. We go between Dorset, Shropshire, .....anywhere as long as it's in the UK!! We are going to get passports ths year, mainly as a means of ID as I'm too scared to fly now. Too many accidents from various sources.

Oh bless him. My other half has just bought me another bottle of Thorntons' Chocolate Liqueuer. He must have seen the nearly empty bottle in the kitchen that was my Xmas pressie!

The Lynda Bellingham is turning in to a very good book. Just up to section where she films her trip around the UK in her camper van. She certainly doesn't hold back. I keep going from laughing to crying. It's a clever piece of writing.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 18:23
Started my Lee Child Book (present) - Without fail- my kids noticed it was one i hadn't got.
I immensely disliked Tom Cruise as Reacher btw!!!(in the film)

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 20:35
Originally posted by deborah31

Started my Lee Child Book (present) - Without fail- my kids noticed it was one i hadn't got.
I immensely disliked Tom Cruise as Reacher btw!!!(in the film)

I don't tend to like Tom Cruise in his films. Somewhat overrated IMO. Nearly finished the LB book. Don't think I would be this brave in her circs. Infact there is no 'think' about it. It's a def no way.

You've got good kids there! XXX

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2015 at 11:20
not keen on this JR novel-   maybe i'm not in the right mood???
there's a couple of negative reviews too, on the web, maybe not his best? (it's his 6th I think- Without Fail)

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2015 at 12:59
Having been ordered to stay in bed by doc, with 7 days of antibiotics and 10 days of steroids (I'll look like both of them soon) I have no excuse not to read.

I've almost finished my Lynda B book. It is an easy book to read physically but a hard one, in places, mentally. I def know now I could never be as down to earth as she was. Her honesty is amazing. I would recommend it to anyone but you have to be in the right mental place to read it.

Still reading Lenn Goodman's book. What a gem. I love the area he's talking about and I'm sure my mum would recognise the upbringing he's describing. My nan came from the East End and my othernan from S.E.London. If I look carefully at the photos I may see a relative or two! It's written in the style of the Len we see on the TV whether in SCD or in his own prog taking a celeb back to a place in their past. We are not talking difficult read but it does provide a microcosm of an era that should not be forgotten or left unread. (Crikey. Last time I used the word microcosm was in my A Level English exam!!!)

-------------

Posted By: Jo Bird
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2015 at 16:04
Hey SueM.

Forgive me for putting my oar in but... antibiotics deplete the immune system.
I speak from (painful) experience. I just wish someone had told me.

-------------
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2015 at 21:08
You stick your oar where you like petal. Unfortunately I have tried everything as had this cough for ages. I take a dose of tablets. It disappears then 1-2 weeks later we're back to where we started. Docs don't like giving me the tablets but know until they get to bottom of it they're all that work. Got to have a spirometry test as soon as I have been drug free and cough free for 6 weeks. Haven't been able tobook one in for 2.5 years so far due to roller coaster of cough and no cough!

Pru mynurse has said take this lot, book an appt for 6 weeks time when I've finished them and then we'll go for it whether I'm hacking or not. She's not expecting a good result but there you go!

Whe I went to hospital to see a consultant, they asked me if I could have unknowingly swallowed a pea!!! I said, as politely as poss, if I had unknowingly done it how could I know?

Tried your previous advice. Didn't work unfortunately. I was so hoping it would. Feel like I'm climbing Everest when I climb the stairs! Ridiculous! Hate it. Only good thing. I can read my books.

Thanks for caring petal.Perhaps you could come across here and be my GP! XXX

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2015 at 08:04
Sorry SueM. Hope you find a way back to good health.

Back on topic... Have you heard of Patrick Holford?
He's written books on all sorts of health issues.

There are two in particular I found helpful...
Beat Stress & Fatigue and Boost your Immune System.

-------------
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2015 at 20:05
No, not heard of Patrick Holford. I'll do a browse on Amazon and see what I can download on to my Kindle. If he beats my stress at the moment I'll love him (and you!) forever.

Finished LB book. Cannot believe she is not with us anymore. Well written with seldom any self pity. There's an earlier book of hers I might now download. Be interesting to compare the two - the pre and post health news. Got Graham Norton's auto for Xmas, and the David Suchet book on Poirot. Also got a Downton Abbey book. Think I'll go back to Rizzoli and Isles and finish that one before I start any other book.

Len Goodman's is a dip in dip out book. Have downloaded The Winter Siege by D W Bradbridge and The Widow Makers by Jean Mead.

Joined the new Amaazon Unlimited doberry and looked at crits etc and picked these 2 to try. Also downloaded some Skinny recipe books but won't bore you with them, although the soup one is very good.

Just off to count minnows. Goldfish doing very well but sure I've lost 2 gold and one brown minnows. Can't count the buggers as they are hard to train!! Not in to sit and wait much! XX

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2015 at 20:12
Just downloaded one of his books. Think I've heard him on Radio 4 and Radio 5 Live. Also on This Morning. Thanks Jo. XXX

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2015 at 20:56
well I love history and just got my mitts on Thomas Cromwell biography - fascinated to read about him he was the man wheeling and deaaling behind Henry VIII's back encouraged him to form the church of england and break from Rome and kill Anm Boleyn etc all for grabbing power - which his gt gt nephew Oliver achieved years later

will get to fiction after this

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2015 at 21:09
Sounds a good book Bren. Read The White Queen before Christmas and couldn't put it down. I usually go non fiction then fiction etc. Love the Henry V111 era. Do you feel Anne Boleyn was badly treated? I do. The Lady Jane Grey book had me in tears. The poor girl

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 17:51
Bren - have you seen the 2 new books that are coming out end of Jan?
No 1 - Lady Katherine Knollys: The Unacknowledged Daughter of King Henry V111 and No 2 Henry V111's Last Love: The Extraordinary Life of Katherine Willoughby, Lady in Waiting to the Tudors.

2nd one only due out in hardback at mo so will wait for it to come out for Kindle. Will get first one at end of Jan.

2nd one interesting in fact that it would appear if Henry had not died when he did he'd have divorced Kath P and married Kath W.

Look interesting for you and me. Are you warm enough where you are? Take care. XXX

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 16:06
What a crap night. Got a call at half twelve from one of the carers in my mum's complex. She had a fall at 23.30 and paramedics were there getting her to the hospital. Got up and we drove down there. 5 hours later it was established that she has broken her hip! Very scary as she is 85.

All she'd done was lose her balance when she turned her tv off at set. That's cutting a long story short - for once for me I hear you say.

Hope you are all ok. XXX

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 21:23
sorry to hear about the fall SueM, someone i know here, her mother a similar age fell and they didn't find her until the next day! (didn't use her emergency cord around her neck to call for help) After several weeks in hospital (was just before Xmas) she is waiting a placement in a residential home now, as can no longer manage in her own home. Hope your mum has managed to get a bed in a local hospital? They are in very short supply here, when they built the 'new' hospital, they didn't put in enough beds/wards!

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 22:04
Thanks for your kind thoughts Deborah. Yes they found her a bed and the op is tomorrow. She lives in a sheltered housing complex so has her own flat. The benefit is the fact there is 24/7 care if she needs it but they have independence if they don't. Luckily she pressed her neck thingy and Stacey was down in 1.5 mins.

I sense money had a lot to do with your local hospital. How the heck they can not put enough beds or wards in is beyond me. I'm sure you and I could have sorted it but we've too much common sense!

Will know more tomorrow. Going to bed with fingers crossed. Night petal. XXX

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 09:12
Sorry to hear about your mum's fall SueM.
Not good for your stress levels either.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 12:29
Hope your mum is ok sue.

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 15:48
good to hear they respond well, a friend of mine just(a few weeks ago) tested her 93 year old mother's alarm , they have to come from about 10 miles away, and it was 10 minutes before they telephoned! (there was a fault on it??). She is in a sort of sheltered housing, only no longer any wardens on site, (Victory Housing). My friend is quite worried, but recently got an assessment from Social Services for her mother, as she has just flown to New Zealand for her daughter's wedding yesterday, so they needed something in place, if only just to give her daily medication etc.
Hope the Op goes well and she's up and about soon!

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 17:42
Yes. Hope all goes well.

The problem is the NHS is stretched to the limit.
The local hospital here keeps closing wards...

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 17:49
Thanks everyone. Mum had her op this morning and there were no complications. She's got to get moving as soon as she is able as it's the next few weeks that will show how she is going to get on.

Stress levels thro roof Jo. Not sure I can control them at mo. Will start again next week. Visiting tonight and taking her case up. Will chill with Death in Paradise. Usually does the trick. Night all. XXXX

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 20:14
Physio didn't do physio. Silly way to put it but you know what I mean! Not surprised as she only had op yesterday. She can barely sit up bless her. They've put a pin in. Hopefully she'll be ok for the London marathon.

Jo - my stress is slghtly lower. My Bagpuss microwavable slippers arrived this morning - scented with lavender. Just back from hospital, flung them in to heat and am sitting here now looking like.....well it's difficult to say. His nibs has just asked if I can walk in them. Just tried. Nearly fell over as they've got something in sole! More like The Flintstones than a fashion show!

Started reading Graham Norton autobiography. Well written so far. Have a lovely weekend all. XXX

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 21:57
Nice work SueM It's not easy to de-stress is it...

Hope you (and your mum) will feel better soon xx

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 17:29
Hi All. Carted off to hospital myself. Me downstairs and mum upstairs. What a family. Back home after being told to destress! Easier said than done.

Anyway......Been reading my Tess Gerritsen. She has a way in her books of swapping between two individual stories past and present which all meet up in the end. It's very tightly knit but I am finding, as I usually do with her books, that I have to concentrate to follow the plot. Probably not a good time for me to read this type of book. Perhaps I should go back to Janet and John or Tootles the Taxi (my fav Ladybird book!).

Loving watching Death in Paradise but hope it will not suffer from loss of another cast member. They've not killed her off so maybe she will be coming back....or maybe not!

Is everyone surviving the weather? Stay warm.

Have you looked at those books I mentioned, Bren? Have downloaded one to Kindle. Looks a good read.

Right off to carry on resting. Not too good at that to be honest. Can't sit still for long. End up reading my Kindle or 'real' books, baking, doing puzzles, doing games on Hudl and netbook etc etc. I count those as relaxing but the doc didn't!

Talk soon. XXX

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 17:09
Hey SueM.

The problem is resting is boring. I know. Believe me.

I rest an hour, do a short activity, rest an hour etc.
It breaks up the day and still gets stuff done.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 17:54
That's how I tend to do it here. Sometimes I get very tired and admit to not doing much on those days. Usually I can do 2 on 1 off after about midday.

I've got enough to keep me entertained when resting but I can't sit still long enough to do it!!!

Mum still in hospital.I've kicked up a hell of a fuss on her old ward. Just because she's 85 they put her in the geriatric ward forgetting that not all 85 years old brains have turned to mush. She's also worrying about me as well which doesn't help!

At least her new ward has individual tvs and radios. They cost a fortune and are rip offs but as long as she gets something to keep her brain ticking over.

Take care. Thanks for advice. XXX

-------------

Posted By: Posy
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 19:21
Hi everyone as per usual have two books on the go at the moment re-reading Harry Potter and the goblet of fire at school and abattoir Blues by Peter Robinson at home. Enjoying both but feel the latter is not as good as some of his previous dCI Banks novels. Hope you're soon feeling a lot better Sue.

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 14:10
Originally posted by SueM

Bren - have you seen the 2 new books that are coming out end of Jan?
No 1 - Lady Katherine Knollys: The Unacknowledged Daughter of King Henry V111 and No 2 Henry V111's Last Love: The Extraordinary Life of Katherine Willoughby, Lady in Waiting to the Tudors.

2nd one only due out in hardback at mo so will wait for it to come out for Kindle. Will get first one at end of Jan.

2nd one interesting in fact that it would appear if Henry had not died when he did he'd have divorced Kath P and married Kath W.

Look interesting for you and me. Are you warm enough where you are? Take care. XXX

hi Sue sorry for late reply beeen busy these last few weeks both books look extremely good particularly the one on Kathrine Willoughby - hope you are well , weather has been ok here and so far no snow this season - yet

Posted By: Posy
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 06:27
Good morning ladies
Just enjoying the half term break from work. Have been reading a wide selection of books (seem to read more during the winter months). Have been reading Gervase Phinn's Little School series (enjoy a little nostalgia) and am now up to date with these and have loved them all. Have also read "something borrowed, someone dead" an Agatha Rasin book which was okay if a little disjointed at times and at present I am reading the Bilbourghy Chronicles on kindle (first two I really enjoyed the third I am struggling with) and "six little miracles" about the Walton sextuplets in book form.

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 14:46
We love Gervais Phinn in this house. Such a good writer and wonderful live on stage. If you get the chance to go and see him do go.

His Yorkshire accent really makes his stories live! Especially the one where as a school inspector he was on his way up the driveway to an infants school out in the Dales to watch the nativity play. He was somewhat surprised to find everyone coming down the drive as he was going up. Asking a young 5 years old girl what was happening he was brightly told "Play's off sir. Virgin Mary's got nits". Classic.

May sound odd but I am reading a lot of recipe books. Downloaded a set of The Skinny......Got the slow cooker, ice cream maker and soup maker ones. All recipes are between 200 and 500 calories. My type of anything is to fling all the itemsin together and wai and see what comes out. I'll prob blow up the soup maker and weld the ice cream maker to the surfce but hey ho!

Finished my Graham Norton Auotbigraphy. Fun bit of writing and am now reading the Gordonston Ladies Dog Walking Club. Only just started and so far so good. Was rec to me by Amazon for my Kindle. Free so downloaded it.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 14:58
It doesn't sound odd Sue... I like recipe books.

My sister's lent me PH's 9 day liver detox.
Might give some of the recipes a whirl.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 15:15
Sounds interesting. Does your liver need a detox? Debs might find it useful!!!!!! Debs + SCD + bottle of wine will forever be in my head! She'll kill me for saying this so I'll log off now! Love you really Deb.XXX

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 18:19

Sounds interesting. Does your liver need a detox? Debs might find it useful!!!!!! Debs + SCD + bottle of wine will forever be in my head! She'll kill me for saying this so I'll log off now! Love you really Deb.XXX

ha..ha.. i don't really drink as much as i did (mainly when overseas in a dry country!I'm sure we returned to the UK 5 years ago as alcoholics)
Had a couple of red wines (glasses!!) last night, first i've had in ages, toasting an old school friend who died last month from pneumonia, -his funeral was yesterday, couldn't make it, as 5 hrs away, but believe, he had a fantastic turnout,he was my first boyfriend at 13! (only for a week or two! i was too shy back then)
Was supposed to be doing my groupwork project, ended up looking for social work jobs in Australia!!

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 19:21
Sorry to hear your sad news. Everyone I know seems to be losing someone these days. Awful.

His nibs and I got accepted for New Zealand a couple of years back. He's an electrical lecturer/assessor and I'm retired now but a qualified English teacher with law as a back up. Felt we couldn't leave mums over here and we will be too old when they are no longer here. Have relatives in Oz so may be able to get in that way.

We've actually been looking at The Lakes/Northumberland/East Lothian and Suffolk to retire properly to when the time comes. Also some lovely places in Wales and we seem to be 2 Englishers (!) they like. Heard they disliked the English but we've always got on well wherever we've been. It's a nice feeling.

Have you found a job in Australia? Could be a good move and Oz wines are still very good, although Chilean ones are coming up on the outside!

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 09:20

I guess everyone would benefit from a liver detox   

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 14:31
You are prob right. If we are talking detox from 35 years ago when I was uni drinking then I def would have benefited. Amazed I still have a liver based on those days.I must have put it thro' hell.

I am starting Kundalini yoga and meditation, Don't laugh! Don't know if my legs will allow me to sit crosed legs on floor. May need a hoist to get up! The meditation side has great results according to internet - if I don't burst out laughing or get distracted! Got the dvd so can always turn it off. Ambulance will be on stand by!

Have a lovely weekend. Rest well. XXX

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 18:43
We still have our aussie passports, altho the kids have expired, must go down to Australia house this summer to renew them!!! I'm thinking my daughter will go there on a 'gap year' or longer!!! after Uni, (she was born in Randwick, Sydney Women's hospital) . My son (canadian born) says he's heading to Canada as soon as he's old enough/qualified, - must renew his Canadian one too!!!!   (I don't want my kids to stay in UK, better opportunities out there, and better weather!!- well in Aus)
edit.
If i get thru this b****y course, looking to head down under, when my kids are hopefully at Uni, hubby will probably be working in Nigeria, or some other attractive posting by then!! (will know within a year or two, his next 4 year assignment) so i'll be having my own delayed gap year... ha..ha..delayed by about 30 years!

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 19:07
Good on yer Debs

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 14:52
Can Jo and I carry your bags? We're ready!!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 18:12
I can carry the bags as far as the airport...
but I don't want to leave the country.

I love the UK

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 19:58
I don't mind the UK, but i loved my time overseas, especially Canada, and Australia!!!!! I'm hoping my kids will go back to Aus, as I hate the cold weather. I'm afraid i just love blue skies, when my kids first moved to Europe (Holland), my daughter coudln't understand the grey skies, and why it was dark all the time! If i win the lottery i will be downunder 6 months of the year!

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 21:59
Originally posted by Jo Bird

I can carry the bags as far as the airport...
but I don't want to leave the country.

I love the UK

I also love the UK. We always holiday here rather than go abroad. But that's the country. At the moment I hate the way the country is run. People seem to be trying to do 2-3 people's work because everyone is cutting back on staff but expecting the remaining staff to pick up their jobs for no extra pay. Our bankers have, in the main, caused a lot of the probs and not picked up the tab. Our NHS is on its knees. Our education is terrible.

I won't carry on as my blood pressure will hit the roof!!!! I can be serious when I need to be! Our country is beautiful, full of history and some lovely people. But we are also getting the reputation of being a dumping ground and we need to get a grip on this. Met some lovely Dutch people who asked why we were allowing so much wrong to happen to the UK. They have put a stop to a lot of things in Holland that we should also have done.

I have just deleted the next 4 paragraphs. Sorry! I have a button re the UK that once pushed I'm like a firework.

-------------

Posted By: MargiABC
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 01:29
Originally posted by Jo Bird

It doesn't sound odd Sue... I like recipe books.

My sister's lent me PH's 9 day liver detox.
Might give some of the recipes a whirl.

I like recipe books too Jo. I don't have to buy them - usually birthday and Christmas presents. The ones I did buy I used when I was teaching or doing the Hospitality training. Others are food reference books. Some of my favourite books are
Gastronomique by Larousse. A very heavy book to carry.
The Cooks Companion by Stephanie Alexander - Aussie chef
Mastering the Art of French Cooking Vol 1 a& 2 by Child and Beck. The illustrations of techniques are wonderful - no photos.
Food in History by Tannahill
How to Cook a Galah by Dyson - Aussie history of food and some traditional and modern recipes. A galah is a native Australian bird related to the cockatoo with pink and white feathers. There is a real recipe in the book for it, but it's in historical terms of bush tucker.
What Food is That and How Healthy Is It? by Jo Rogers - Aussie reference book of ingredients used in Australia written by one of my former lecturers at Teachers College. Big illustrations and useful before we had Google images.
I don't mind some of Jamie Oliver's books.

There are 2 books I bought at a fire sale over 20 years ago. Randwick library that used to be on Anzac Pde in Maroubra (I can't remember if they relocated the library afterwards) had a fire and several weeks after the fire brigade declared the building safe, Randwick council had a sale of the library books as they were - still on the shelves, covered in soot, smelling very smokey and some had water damage. I picked up 2 books, which I can't seem to locate at the moment, but were great reading after I cleaned them up. One was on the foods of Papua New Guinea and the other on regional foods in the UK in the 1970s and 1980s.

Date Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 18:20
Agree with you Sue.

We can't let everyone come and live in the UK.
There's not enough space or enough jobs...

Hey Margi.

I hasten to add I'm not a real cook like you.
Have you tried any of the regional food recipes?

-------------

Print Page | Close Window