Print Page | Close Window

A place to call home

Printed From: The Blue Room
Category: Celebritain.com Entertainment Forum
Forum Name: Television and Film
Forum Discription: What are you watching?
URL: http://www.theblueroom.me.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36109
Printed Date: 12 Dec 2017 at 12:29

Topic: A place to call home
Posted By: Jo Bird
Subject: A place to call home
Date Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 18:28
Aussie period drama on BBC2.

I haven't had time to watch all of it...
but what I have seen is great TV.

Have you seen it Margi?

-------------
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Replies:
Posted By: MargiABC
Date Posted: 25 Dec 2014 at 12:40
It's a great show. It's filmed at a property near Camden called 'Camelot', which is only about 10km from here. In fact 2 members of my church were extras in it. There is a scene at a church fete in one of the early episodes where an older man is carrying a ladder to help set up. That's Fred from my church. I also know some others who were extras. One lady I used to work with 20 years ago and both she and Fred had been mayors of Camden at different times. They chose Camden and surrounds as some of the rural housing look like they have been in a time warp.

The production itself has it's own cliff hangers. Channel 7 commissioned the series and it was produced in 2012. They then announced that due to its success, a second series had been commissioned and was filmed in 2013. Then there were rumours that a third series was in the pipeline, but industry insiders were saying that none of the cast members had been signed up for a third series. The writers were working on a third series, then channel 7 axed the show, even though it was popular, but not with demographics that they wanted. The writers had to rewrite the ending so the show had an ending that supposedly tied up all loose ends, but it didn't really make sense in line with the characters story lines.
That was the production cliffhanger. Step in people power. Petitions and Facebook pages dedicated to having Channel 7 reverse their decision went into full swing. Six or seven months later people power won, but only if we have pay TV. Foxtel pay TV had agreed to resurrect the show with the original characters. They will show the first 2 series again, with the ending for series 2 as intended by the writers. This is the annoying part for me, as they will make at least one more series, but they have contracted Channel 7 to produce and film it. Unless I have pay TV I won't be able to watch it.

Date Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 06:34
I told my friend Fred that the show was now on TV in the UK. He wondered which version you would see for the end of series 2.

Date Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 18:18
Thanks for the info Margi.

That's great there's a third series... but bad news it's not on freeview.

The BBC showed series one and two back to back in six weeks
so I guess we got the original ending...

I'm midway thru series two on I-player. It's brilliant TV.

-------------
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 19:06
I've just finished Margi... I cried at the end.

There are still so many loose ends and only
a few hints given in the episode with elderly Sarah.

I'd love to see the original ending and the next series.

-------------

Posted By: SueM
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2015 at 10:49
Originally posted by Jo Bird

I've just finished Margi... I cried at the end.

There are still so many loose ends and only
a few hints given in the episode with elderly Sarah.

I'd love to see the original ending and the next series.

Missed this one. What's it called?

-------------
Never be flat. Never be sharp. Always be natural.

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2015 at 03:28
Sue - the series is called 'A Place to Call Home', set in the 1950s in Sydney (at the beginning) and then in a rural setting, with a big mansion.

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2015 at 03:38
Jo - its a good series and I wish Channel 7 had continued with a 3rd series so we could really see what should or could have happened. Its the irony of Ch 7 making the next series for Foxtel. The ending really raises more questions than answers.

Period dramas set in the 1950s and 60s seems to be the in thing now. I think Mad Men started the trend. I am currently watching the "Indian Doctor" set in the 1950s or 60s in Wales. I love "Call the Midwife", but the next series will be shown on pay TV on BBC First, not on the govt funded (no ads) free to air ABC in Australia where the previous series were aired. The govt slashed ABC's funding and a lot of staff have been given redundancies and I expect a lot of first run TV shows that are produced by the BBC and normally shown on the ABC will go to BBC First now.

Posted By: deborah31
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2015 at 20:40
I can't believe i missed this thread
loves this, series 2 just finished here before xmas on bbc2.
Series 3 coming this year with an alternative ending i believe (episode 10 changed i presume)

I am a member of APTCH closed group on facebook,   it's great for all the info, and the campaign to get it back worked it seems!!

We'll probably get series 3 a lot later than you.
I'll now have to order the first series on DVD
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SAPTCH/   if case you on FB

-------------
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2015 at 20:49
http://www.acorndvd.com/dvd/coming-soon/a-place-to-call-home-s1.html

must purchase this as didn't see series one, when Sara arrives on the boat I believe

-------------
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2015 at 21:48
SueM... Series 2 is still on I-player. Not for long tho.

Margi... I like Indian Doctor and Call the Midwife.

Deb... Thanks for the link. Will deffo buy the DVD's.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2015 at 23:11
I'm looking forward to the new Channel 4 drama Indian Summers coming soon, starring Julie Walters etc.. set in India 1930's, before Independence.
It's a 10 episode mini-series.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2015 at 00:06
Deborah the ending to series 2 will be different to lead into series 3 for APTCH once it goes into production.

If you watched series 2, my friend Fred from church was holding Sarah's hand when they danced the Hokey pokey.
When we watched the show we were doing a 'where's Fred?' in the crowd scenes. I expect he will be an extra, plus the others I know who were also extras, in series 3. The other spotting we did was the places they used such as the river, dams and some of the roads. In series 1, they used part of the Rocks area for the arrival scene for Sarah.

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2015 at 05:08
Just a bit of trivia the actor who plays Rene is really Marta's (Sarah) real life husband.

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 09:31
Margi... If your friend Fred's an extra in series 3... will you ask him to spill the beans please?

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 19:29
I read that production for series 3 starts in March.

Date Posted: 01 May 2015 at 03:03
They have started filming the next series. Friends from church are hoping to be extras again.

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 13:48
The new series starts airing on 13th Sept in Australia on pay TV. I've already made arrangements to visit my friend once a week to watch the show. The first episode will be the last episode of series 2 with a different ending (as originally intended by the writers) to lead into the new series.

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 11:33
Hi Margi. Any chance of an update?

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Dec 2015 at 13:49
My friends from church were extras again, but at the time of filming they couldn't say what the story lines were. They reworked the last episode of series 2 with a different ending to lead into series 3. I do know that there will be troubled times ahead for Olivia.

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 05:48
Thanks Margi. Can you tell me... Does George marry Sarah?

-------------

Posted By: SueM
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 17:01
Brett Climo is gorgeous. Know him from Flying Doctors and A Country Practice. My life was a little empty when both series finished. Thank goodness for dvds!!!!

-------------
Never be flat. Never be sharp. Always be natural.

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 15:50
Originally posted by SueM

Brett Climo is gorgeous

You can say that again Sue. I didn't watch flying docs or country practise. Might have to invest in the dvd's.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 22:17
it's just come back on again,is this series 1??? Sarah Adams just arrived on the boat today, - caught it by accident on TV, she's just got the job to be a nurse.
I like all the actors in it, but i can't take to Mr. Bligh (George??) bit too wet for me. Not sure which one is Brett Climo? is that the young Italian guy??

oops edit, just looked him up, good we don't have all same taste anyway....errrrrmmmm moving on, i do like the doctor the best! (jack ) all of the guys in general not typical aussie men imo!!, lol, prefer russell crowe/hugh jackman type here!!!
love noni tho as the matriarch, she plays a good part

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 00:43
I haven't caught up on all the new episodes yet. Missed a few when I was on holidays, then my friend who has been recording it went away and forgot to record it. I might have to buy the DVDs of series 3.

Brett Climo is George. Series 1 starts with Sarah returning to Australia from Europe.

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 00:46
I'm still unhappy it's not on free to air TV here. Deborah, maybe they are repeating it over in the UK as they might show the new ending to series 2 and start series 3.

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 23:36
I've just watched the new ending on YT. Not impressed. It's not as good as the original.

Says on the BBC website they're repeating series 1 & 2 and showing series 3 later in the year.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2016 at 22:15
yes i'm watching series one, as have just about caught upto the bit i saw it from (elizabeth bligh having a heart attack) i think she (noni) makes the series, as and interfering old biddy. I don't know if i ever saw/we got series 2 here. I love the old gossip too Doris Collins!!!- every soap/drama needs these characters!! I think the last we saw of them in the UK, was Sarah returning back from Paris, and Anna's wedding.. (was that series one or two? can't remember now) . I'm recording it daily (on 3pm each day here in UK) so am just watching till i catch up to where I have seen before, any episode now.   I do think i might have missed the first episode tho, as the first i caught was on the boat back from UK

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 14:06
New series starts today in England, i've been waiting for this!!- starting from where George is discovered laying on the ground near Roy's place, Sarah has just ran up the hill to find Regina standing with a shotgun, and also Rene is there!!

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 22:57
I was in two minds whether to watch series 3 but I am
and it's just as good as series 1 & 2.

I think it should have an evening slot. Once a week.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 14:34
yes, i'm enthralled again, can't believe Mrs Bligh, going a bit soft, even developing an interest in Mr. Goddard perhaps?? Wish George would get a back-bone though. Anyone else think that the new nanny is little Georgie's real mum??? I'm wondering how Rene will be written out, and how Sarah ends up back with George (and Regina is kicked out!!)

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 18:09
It's so good isn't it Deb... but I'm falling behind.
Recording it now so I don't miss a second.

Definitely think Rose is Georgie's mum.

I'm guessing Rene will die due to his head injury
and Sarah will marry George... eventually.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 18:21
We know Sarah ends up at the Bligh house, because of the flashback, where she's talking as an old woman to her grandaughter(?) Sam i think from memory, (Olivia with a blond wig!)

btw i thought the portrait painter was gay, and was going to have a 'fling' with James, who saw that coming!!

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 17:58
My money's on James having an affair with Dr Fox.
Really felt a vibe between them at the hospital.

And I bet Olivia falls pregnant with the artist.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 13:08

My money's on James having an affair with Dr Fox.
Really felt a vibe between them at the hospital.

And I bet Olivia falls pregnant with the artist.

Yes- agree with all of this!!!
did you see yesterday's yet?

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2016 at 16:30
Not yet Deb. I've only just started episode 5. Got caught up in the tennis.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 22:34
It's just got very weird!!! about turn for George???
Poor Caroline? didn't think she was as naive as that??

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 18:09
Just finished last week... but I've looked ahead.

I can't believe George marries Regina to further
his political career. He's not good enough for
Sarah now. Ever.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2016 at 11:39

Just finished last week... but I've looked ahead.

I can't believe George marries Regina to further
his political career. He's not good enough for
Sarah now. Ever.

I can't understand the writing behind George, one ways he's up with everything, declaring love for Sarah, etc.. next minute he's clueless!, it's like he's got a twin.

Waiting to hear next if Olivia is pregnant!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2016 at 17:53
Nor can I Deb. The writers have made mistakes re George.

The other problem is the flashback episode in series 2.
It takes away the element of surprise every time.

Still very watchable though.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 21:26
yes was a bit confused by that, (Sarah as an old lady), so we know she ends up there.
Regina playing the new wicked witch!!!
A load of cliff hangers now, is there going to be another series??

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2016 at 07:44
There's a series 4 planned. Hope we get it over here.

I guess it's possible that Sarah ends up at Ash Park
thru her & George's child rather than marriage.

If the baby survives Regina's evil plans...

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 18:55
Woo! Indian Summer is back (with Julie Walters) just watched episode 1 of 2nd series (channel 4) .

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 18:27
Just finished a Place to Call Home. Watching Dr Blake now.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 07:05
Season 4 starts in Australia tonight. To add insult to injury Channel 7 that originally made the show showed an hour long program on catching up with season 3 ready for tonight's season 4 with a few previews of what might happen in season 4. They then advertised that season 4 can only be seen on Foxtel.
The actors gave a tour of the sets showing all the authentic retro appliances.

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 16:44
Will you be able to watch Margi?

I'm hoping it will be on Freeview over here.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2016 at 02:40
I'll just get the DVD when its out. My friend was recording series 3 for me last year but she went on holidays and forgot to program the recorder for half the series, so I bought the DVD. I don't have Foxtel. I don't have time to watch all the programs I want to watch on Freeview. I remember my mother telling us that a Foxtel salesman came to her door wanting her to sign up for it. She told him she could fall asleep in front of the TV for free without having to pay for it. I am just catching up on Once Upon A Time that I recorded 3 months ago. Do you get that show in the UK? Interesting twists on traditional fairy tales and Disney characters.

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 18:58
I haven't seen it over here Margi.

Chuckling about your mum and the salesman

-------------

Date Posted: 22 July 2017 at 17:54
For anyone who enjoys Dr Blake .. there's also Miss Fisher murder mysteries on Drama. It's so good. Aussies really do make the best dramas!

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 23:34
Hi Jo and Deborah. I haven't been in the BR for ages. The cast of A Place to Call Home has been signed up for another series. The current series of Dr Blake will be the last produced by the ABC here. There will be a telly movie I hear. The ABC is being criticised for ending the series when it has been so successful here and overseas. In a twist, ch7 here (the one who axed A Place to Call Home after series 2 and Foxtel picked it up) will pick up the production of Dr Blake, set in a similar time period to APTCH. Go figure?

Print Page | Close Window