Forum Name: Strictly Frocks
Forum Discription: The good, the bad & the Nancy
URL: http://www.theblueroom.me.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36023
Printed Date: 18 Nov 2017 at 04:26

Topic: Week 5: Was She or Wasn't She?
Posted By: Thess
Subject: Week 5: Was She or Wasn't She?
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 22:50

Catching up with week 5 and I have been promised ‘glittery gorgeousness’ in the iPlayer description for the show.  How exciting is that J Let’s dive straight in ……

Janette  

essentially an evening dress as opposed to a ballroom gown, but there was a lot to commend it.  It was what I wanted Natalie’s skirts from last week to have been, the same navy material used here to better effect with red beneath.  It was quite a ‘buttoned up’ look however the use of sheer material kept Janette from looking to trussed up and the split down the centre back, allowing just a little flesh to peep through and lift the look.  A daring flash of scarlet at the waist broke up the expanse of blue nicely, and although it did have the look of a simple blouse with a very long skirt, the overall look was sleek, neat and elegant.

Sunetra:

taking some stylings from her lovely red gown a couple of weeks back, the line of crystal stoning that edged the bodice and snaked down to a point at the small of her back, will be underestimated by some but it was perfectly placed to accentuate the curve of Sunetra’s body.  I’m also loving the feathered hem which dances so well and gives the illusion of dancing on air.  The silhouette was lovely and the dress danced very well, however teaming a pale colour under the sheer topskirt  highlighted the dropped waist so much that the proportions of the gown looked a little off.

Iveta: 

More bugle beads which, although I love, I am starting to get a bit bored with. The dress was very cleanly cut and straightforward, with just a little strap across Iveta’s back to prevent gaping at the sides. The beads did their job, jangling and sparkling and by God this girl knows how to work a dress, but her cascading hair spoilt the look as it whipped around all over the place.  All of this went by the by however because I couldn’t stop thinking that she looked like a sparkly Wookie. 

Frankie:

lovely burgundy colour which looked fab against her colouring.  The prom length proportions suit her and I thought she carried this dress very well.  I loved the sheer topskirt with the leaf pattern, which was an interesting fabric choice and a very nice effect, but I would have chosen a different shade for the underskirts.  I felt the combination of colours wasn’t as complimentary as it could have been.  Departing from the frock for a moment, what a delightful routine that was. Superb even, the best of the series so far for me. 

Joanne:

a fun and flirty little frock, the delicate pale colour looking fresh and delicious.  But as with other theme dresses, not really a bona fide ballroom or latin dress.  Cute little fluttery number but not really floating my boat.

Alison:

a variation on a previous gown.  Some style points are sticking with Alison’s frocks, the soft unstructured shaping, empire line, the length, all of which are working nicely for her.  But I prefer the elbow length loose sleeves on her and I wasn’t keen on the black smudges in the red fabric, Alison looked like she had sat in some engine oil. It didn’t dance particularly well either but I’m wondering if the choreography has to take some of the flack, it wasn’t a dynamic Tango so the frock never got much of a chance to really fly. A weighted hem might have been a better choice.  And the black shoes were a mistake.

Karen:

nice little mover, the layers of fringing flipping and bouncing along so well.  The flashes of cool blue amongst the hot colours was unexpected but a lovely touch.  Fringe dresses can look so boring sometimes, but I really like what DSI are doing with layers of fringe cut to varying lengths, quite architectural. 

Kristina:

a sugary sweet pink confection of a dress, not entirely to my taste (I really don’t like pink) but which danced very nicely owing to the godets, which held enough material to give the skirt weight, but without bulk over the hips.  The draped back appears again and I like it, it lends interest to the back which is something that dress designers often forget about.  So much thought goes into the front of a gown but of course when the lady goes into hold it is covered up and we don’t get to see it.  So I really appreciate an interesting rear view!  The little darts of stones over the hips served to elongate the lines, but I wasn’t fussed over the bow at the back.  

Judy:

the shape was fine, the fringing very ‘flapper-esq’, the icy blue was a great colour choice for her, she truly sparkles in this shade, but teaming it with those tennis shoes was unforgiveable, they wrecked the whole look and made Judy’s legs look like tree trunks (when they are clearly not).  If they had put her in a simple low heel the look would have been better.

Caroline:

I am undecided on this one.  DSI are trying to make the peplum happen in the dance world!  I thought the dress worked very well from the back – the peplum and skirt were in good proportions, I liked the bold look achieved with the draped back and the cut of the lower bodice which revealed a diamond shape of flesh.  The front wasn’t so great - the hem was raised but the peplum wasn’t, not that it looked bad, just something in the proportions that wasn’t quite right. I may not be keen on that particular shade of yellow, but combined with the purply-blue it was eye-catching and lifted the darker colour considerably. 

Ola:

ah, the dress that sparked the whole ‘is she/isn’t she’ question!  This particular cut is unforgiving.  To achieve this particular silhouette and to accentuate the billowing skirt the bodice needs to be tight over the body and to just below the hips.  Eat the wrong thing before you take the floor and it’s going to show. I reckon Ola probably had a larger or heavier meal than usual, plus she has a sway back which pushes the stomach out more.  Anyway back to the frock. Gorgeous colour and keeping the decoration light with simple crystal stones, ensured she twinkled under the lights. At the risk of sounding like a right nark, I don’t usually like floats but these ones worked rather well, caught up at the back of the neck they looked like wings and provided a great amount of movement.   

Pixie:

she channelled her inner Carmen Miranda in this frock!  I loved the colours, the choice of bugle beads in an ‘AB’ option giving off a variation in colour which gave the front of the frock some depth.  I adore a latin frill and these were lovely, the touches of yellow giving definition amongst the red and orange, but the skirt was a little static, which was down to the short cut on the frills.  A longer frill with maybe some light wiring on the hem would have produced a bouncier look. Still, she looked nice and it’s hard to dance with so much stuff piled on your head, so she did very well! 

My favourites out of this bunch were Ola for ballroom and Pixie for latin, but I would need to relax those frills first!

What were your favourites?

Replies:
Posted By: Jo Bird
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2014 at 07:53
Difficult choice this week.

Frankie just edges it in ballroom and Pixie in latin
but I like Sunetra's and Karen's dresses too.

-------------
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Posted By: Andrew
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 18:20
Agree with your preferences - I wasn't a fan of Alison's; my least favourite.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window