Forum Discription: Mindless banter and chit-chat
URL: http://www.theblueroom.me.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35722
Printed Date: 12 Dec 2017 at 15:47

Topic: Sochi Olympics
Posted By: Jo Bird
Subject: Sochi Olympics
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2014 at 19:28
It's underway...

I've just been watching ice skating on the BBC website.
Robin and Sue on commentary. She just repeats what he says

-------------
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Replies:
Posted By: Toots
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2014 at 20:48
We both enjoyed the skating. We thought that Russian was fantastic, also the Canadian.  What was the point of Sue? Was she really necessary? Opening ceremony tomorrow Jo, .

-------------
Inside every elderly person there is a young person wondering what the hell happened

Posted By: thengp12
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2014 at 21:22
Is it just me or is it after "we" did the summer olympics 2 years ago, i know it does not seem like 2 years ago right? but i digress, no olympics summer or winter for the rest of our lives will never feel the same again, unless we host it again, but we can only hope.

-------------
thengp12 reality show continues
🎭💃

Posted By: MargiABC
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 07:29
I will be recording the opening ceremony and watching it at a more suitable time. Its live to air at 3am tomorrow morning Sydney time.

I wonder if anyone will be 'doing a Bradbury'. Steven Bradbury is an Australian Olympian who won gold at the 2002 Olympic games in the 1000m speed skate. The term now is always associated with his win and means to win as a result of miraculous circumstances, despite being in a losing position.
Steven Bradbury, to all watching the event, was not in a position to win any medals, but on the last turn everyone in front of him fell over and he skated into gold position.

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 08:35
We two didn't get round to seeing that amazing Russian duo in the pairs skating until last evening. They were breathtaking and one of the few competitors you could relax and watch certain that they weren't going to fall. I can't pronounce their names, let alone spell them but they are worth watching.
I know we're not allowed to criticize T&D on here, but even at their best, they wouldn't have stood a chance against these two

-------------
Inside every elderly person there is a young person wondering what the hell happened

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 09:05
I didn't see the men's Toots... just the last four pairs.
The Russians were amazing weren't they... Gold for them?

I don't feel that Nathan but I might do when it's time for Rio.

-------------
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2014 at 07:58
I should have added another 30 minutes to the timer recording of the opening ceremony. I skipped to the end of the recording and they were only bringing in the torch.

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2014 at 09:08
I watched the opening ceremony highlights on the BBC website.
There's also a video of the Steven Bradbury win. Unbelievable!

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2014 at 06:34
Aussie Torah Bright will be going for gold in tonight's snowboard final. She qualified for the finals in the first round and didn't have to go into the semis. Its good to have Aussie athletes in the winter Olympics, even though Australia is better known for summer sports.

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2014 at 11:39
WOW and WOW again.  ClapDrinkApplauseOur first medal ever ( the Scots boy should never have had his taken away... was it back in 2007? I can't remember when) Well done Jonsie in the ladies snow boarding. Bronze for the UK DanceI was on tenterhooks until the last slider made a mistake

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2014 at 13:42
Very pleased we have a medal. Well done Jenny

Did anyone see the short ice dance online saturday?
The Brits skated well... but didn't get the marks.

Robin said he was surprised by their score.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2014 at 16:53
Yes Jo agree. We couldn't understand the scores either.
Have you noticed, the lady skaters look far fitter than the pro lady skaters in DOI? Some of them look like anorexic pixies don't they?
Have you see that young Russian girl? I think she's 15; danced to the music from 'the  girl in the red coat'? She is amazing

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2014 at 22:50
Torah didn't win a medal

Its hard to watch the games. The broadcaster who is showing the games is showing it on 3 of its stations. Two are the same broadcast and the 3rd station shows different events. Because of the time difference they are broadcasting live if you want to watch from midnight to 6 am in the morning. I mainly want to see the ice skating so I've been recording the 6 hour slabs and deleting what I don't want to watch, as the ice dancing and figure skating are all over the place in the broadcast .

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2014 at 07:34
I didn't watch the ladies Toots but I saw a video of the little Russian on the website.
She's got a bright future hasn't she... Her red coat routine brought a tear to my eye.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2014 at 07:46
Originally posted by MargiABC

Torah didn't win a medal

Its hard to watch the games. The broadcaster who is showing the games is showing it on 3 of its stations. Two are the same broadcast and the 3rd station shows different events. Because of the time difference they are broadcasting live if you want to watch from midnight to 6 am in the morning. I mainly want to see the ice skating so I've been recording the 6 hour slabs and deleting what I don't want to watch, as the ice dancing and figure skating are all over the place in the broadcast .

I can imagine Margi. The problems are awful when the time difference is so big isn't it?

-------------

Posted By: deborah31
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2014 at 08:59
I'm not really watching, had my fill of winter/snow watching the jump!!
Had far too much in my lifetime of snow, and feeling cold living in Canada-so brings back many cold/bad memories for me, of almost frostbite etc.. and nightmare driving in several feet of snow sometimes (why we left in the end- couldn't take anymore- sorry Canadians who couldn't understand us!)
I did watch the UK lady win the bronze medal though on the News last night (snowboarding?) and watched about 2 mins of the 'jump' much higher than the TV series just on.
I would watch if the Jamaicans doing bob-sleigh again!!! or maybe if we were in the middle of a heatwave here and we needed to cool down!!
 I may watch the hockey final tho (or last 10 mins ) if it's a Canadian final!!! would love them to beat USA, or Russia in it.

-------------
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2014 at 09:07
Originally posted by deborah31

I'm not really watching, had my fill of winter/snow watching the jump!!
Had far too much in my lifetime of snow, and feeling cold living in Canada-so brings back many cold/bad memories for me, of almost frostbite etc.. and nightmare driving in several feet of snow sometimes (why we left in the end- couldn't take anymore- sorry Canadians who couldn't understand us!)
I did watch the UK lady win the bronze medal though on the News last night (snowboarding?) and watched about 2 mins of the 'jump' much higher than the TV series just on.
I would watch if the Jamaicans doing bob-sleigh again!!! or maybe if we were in the middle of a heatwave here and we needed to cool down!!
 I may watch the hockey final tho (or last 10 mins ) if it's a Canadian final!!! would love them to beat USA, or Russia in it.

Blimey Deborah! I don't know where you lived, but when I lived in Canada I had no trouble getting about. Even the day we had had 3ft overnight. And as for frostbite, when I lived in the Arctic Circle, if we dressed properly no frostbite. The ploughs, (plows as they call them) were out all day all night and the roads were kept open even in the country districts.
I can quite understand the Canadians thinking you were peculiar.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2014 at 08:14
I'm just loving that free skiing,,, can't spell what they call itConfused The one over the bumps and then throwing themselves up in the air. Jenny Jones won our first medal at it. If they had had this back in the 60's, I'd have had a go.
Also loving the speed skating. Remember our British hope Wilf 20 year ago? He's part of the commentary team I think. My cousin lived in Norway for many years and the little kiddies used to either skate or ski to school. No wonder they are so good.
The most 'daring' thing I have done, is to drive across a frozen lake in the winter time, when I lived over seas. Everyone took it as the norm I was shivering and shaking the whole time my car was on the iceBig%20smile

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2014 at 13:18
It looks so dangerous. I held my breath every time someone set off.

You drove on a frozen lake Toots!! 'Daring' doesn't cover it   

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2014 at 13:30
Originally posted by Jo Bird

It looks so dangerous. I held my breath every time someone set off.

You drove on a frozen lake Toots!! 'Daring' doesn't cover it   

Oh it wasn't as bad as it sounds Jo, but I have to say that to start with I was a lily-livered wimp, who until the weather made it impossible, would drive an extra 30 miles to avoid the lake.  The ice was feet thick and huge lorries carrying heavy loads went across in convoy it was so safe. In the spring, the warning boards went up giving the ice conditions. Trembling Toots was the first to stop using it!

-------------

Posted By: BambionIce
Date Posted: 12 Feb 2014 at 19:32
Finally got some time off work to sit and watch as much as I can for the next few days. Blow Dancing On Ice - this is so much more fun!

Screeched my head off for Jenny Jones (and I'll admit hearing the three in the commentary box going all unprofessional and sobbing set me off as well!) but it's the skating I've really loved. Little Miss Lipnitskaya stole the team competition for me - what a star!

The two Russian pairs tonight were just spellbinding too.

Margi - it's such a pity Torah hasn't got herself a medal so far; what a delightful girl she seems to be!

I'll tell you what fascinates me about these freestyle skiing/snowboarding events; who in Heaven's name first looked at a whopping great mound of compacted snow and thought "Yes, I know what I'll do; I'll go throw myself over that and turn base over apex a couple of times before landing again!"

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2014 at 08:28
Yep Bambi. I also liked the French pair.
 I regret so much, that free skiing and snow boarding wasn't well known in the 1960's. I'd have loved a go.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2014 at 10:27
Torah finally has a medal - silver in the half pipe. That is interesting to watch their manoeuvres. I watched the men's final too. We had an Australian in that one, but no medal. It was great he got into the final.

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2014 at 13:01

Torah finally has a medal - silver in the half pipe. That is interesting to watch their manoeuvres. I watched the men's final too. We had an Australian in that one, but no medal. It was great he got into the final.

Your Australian was unlucky in the final Margi. Also well done to Toah

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2014 at 17:24
Hey Bambi. The skating is marvelous isn't it...
My favourites were the canadians who came in fifth.

Struggling to get into some of the sports. Curling?

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2014 at 21:03
Hi Jo. I'm quite getting into the curling, but then my sister swears I'd watch grass growing if they put it into the Olympics She could be right!

Oddly enough the one sport I struggle with at the Winter Games is ice hockey. It's probably got more to do with my lousy eyesight making it hard to follow the puck than anything else though.

It's a pity Plushenko had to pull out tonight, but the two young Japanese skaters were beautiful to watch. I hope they manage to get medals tomorrow.

Date Posted: 14 Feb 2014 at 01:49
I just read that someone else did "do a Bradbury" in similar circumstances. China's Li Jianrou steered clear of a three-skater pile-up to sprint to gold in the women's 500m short track at the Winter Olympics on Thursday.

Date Posted: 14 Feb 2014 at 09:43
I can watch those 'Bradbury' skates time and time again.

I'm with you on the curling Jo... bowls on ice.

The Ice Hockey in the games is a bit too tame for me. When I was overseas, I missed rugby no end so I was taken to a hockey match and was hooked. If there wasn't blood on the ice when it finished we reckoned we hadn't had out money's worthLOL

I'm fed up with T&D and that blinking Bolero. I caught a bit of DOI by mistake last Saturday. Dean in leather trousers was a sight to beholdErmm

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2014 at 16:05
We have a gold medal. Hooray!

I'm fed up with Bolero too. Time to move on now.
Let's see what Penny & Nick can do. No comparisons.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2014 at 13:31
Well done Lizzy Yarnold I still think skeleton is a very odd sport!

On Bolero - I think the incessant revisiting doesn't do it any favours, all these "new versions" T&D have done over the years. It was marvellous first time around - I remember sitting absolutely spellbound as a fourteen year old - but it does now feel it's ben done to death.

Personally I preferred 1983's Barnum routine. And Mack and Mable from '82.

Good luck to Penny and Nick today though. Top 10 would be terrific for them this year.

Posted By: Tups
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2014 at 15:27
Ice dancing on the red button on BBC2 now

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2014 at 15:29
Penny and Nick are 21 of 24 so will skate about 6pm (approx).

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2014 at 22:39
I lived in Calgary Toots, for 4 years, winters far too long for me (my son born there).
Got down to 40 below, then a chinnook would come in and up 40c!!!!
Worst place i went to was Edmonton, didn't leave the Mall!! (minus 30 permanently outside),why the Mall is big, even with dolphins swimming around inside it, and a huge
indoor waterpark.
may be a wuss, but I've always hated the cold, my daughter has Reynauds now too, her hands and feet go blue in about plus 8C !!!!(she's Aussie born) we really need to be in a hot climate!!!!!
don't get me wrong, I love Canada, in the summer!!!!!!(well apart from the mozzies)
If we would of been in Vancouver, we would have stayed, much milder, and more like a UK climate, but with blue skies! Vancouver, and Vancouver Island is spectacular.
We often joke, that is where we gained our Candadian Tyre's!!!!
(ha..ha.. Canadian Tyre is a big depot store- and you have to say de-pot the American/Canadian way, or it just don't sound right)
Sadly one of my best friends lives in Canada, and she's been asking when I'm going over again (luckily my hubby visits with work so has been a couple of times last year), so we had to leave our adopted Canadian family behind.

-------------
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'

Posted By: Bren
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2014 at 23:53
usually love the winter games but am not watching these ones - just believe they got them by corruption and bribes - most of the snow courses are dangerous and the place is just too warm - but just object watching something that dodgy Russian billionaires bribed for :)) though did peak at skating 

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2014 at 07:41
I was in two minds Bren. I didn't watch Beijing because of China's human rights record but decided to watch Sochi.

The skating was amazing wasn't it... I love the Russians (Elena and Nikita) and hope the Brits can finish inside top ten.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2014 at 08:40
I agree. The courses are the most dangerous I have ever seen, but I still watch because I love winter sports more than the summer ones. I'm too 'creaky' to ski now but love watching it.
Apart from ice dancing, which I watch but find a bit tame compared to speed skating, I will watch most of the games. Curling is a bit like bowls on ice but I can appreciate the skill.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2014 at 15:24
The only thing I will watch is Hockey, but only LIVE,
don't watch any ice-skating, especially the speed skating, too boring for me, going round and round in a rink, see enough speed skating etc.. on the frozen canals in Holland,  would rather be outside in open air, than in an ice arena.
Far too cold.
Am hooked to the summer Olympics though.
I hate curling, what is the point of the brooms?? Don't think they make any difference.
just give the other competitors something to do, instead of standing around freezing to death, ha..ha..
My husband did curling in CAnada, couldn't get into it either, if you bowl/slide you have to curl though, gave up after a while, too boring, would rather 10pin bowl, or crown green bowl (no brooms there!!!)
There's nothing else to do in cold countries, except snow and ice games/stuff,  why it's so popular in Scotland, weather miserable all winter, even greyer skies!!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2014 at 16:41
Yeeees. Top ten place for the Brits   

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2014 at 17:31

And thoroughly deserved, my neighbour tells me. I have been out all day

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2014 at 21:37
Originally posted by Toots

And thoroughly deserved, my neighbour tells me. I have been out all day

Hope you'll be able to see it Toots. Fun routine

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 08:26
Seen it! Great wasn't it? I really enjoyed it.
Did anyone watch the men's ski jumping last evening? Awesome! I've also thought that skating must be a wonderful feeling, like being able to fly. I reckon that jumping must be a similar feeling.
I had to be , in my job, competent   enough to do a parachute jump in an emergency. That was a lovely feeling too once I had got over the terror. Thank the lord I only had to know how to do one.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 11:19
I am really happy with how Australia has done over the last few days. A bronze in the women's aerials and a silver in the men's aerials. It was the first time our ice dancers got to the free skate part of the event.

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 12:23
I didn't know that about your ice dancers Margi.  Australia's doing well isn't it?

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2014 at 02:56
We had another Australian first today. Jana Pittman is the only Australian athlete to have competed at the summer and winter Olympics. She was in track and field athlete in the summer games and decided to train to be a bobsledder. I think she has now retired from track and field events.

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2014 at 09:14
I saw it Margi and thought of you.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2014 at 14:57
Thanks Toots.
In an interview, Jana said she ate for Australia as she put on 11 kg to her thin frame to build up the bulk and muscle to get the bobsled going. %20 -

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2014 at 21:51

It was the first time our ice dancers got to the free skate part of the event.

It's a super routine. Loved the music and outfits.

Is ice dance popular in Australia Margi? Are there many rinks?
I'm wondering if people go there to cool down in the summer...

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2014 at 09:18
We have got rinks in different parts of Sydney, but to get to that level of competition, they train overseas. I heard the commentator saying that the Australian ice dancers have been together for a long time, are from Sydney but train in Detroit. There are skating clubs that skaters belong to and train linked to the some of the rinks.

Back in 2006 after the first Dancing on Ice in the UK, T & D came to Australia and did an Australian version of DOI, called Torvil and Dean's Dancing on Ice. Disappointingly, it was only on that year. You can stll find some YouTube clips of the routines. The routines and costumes were very similar to the first DOI in the UK - they brought everything out with them. They also brought out Matt Evers, Kristina Lenko and 2 other skaters who were a couple, from the first DOI. The rest of the skaters were from Australia, but not necessarily born in Auatralia such as Maria Filipov and Pav (I can't remember his full name, but he did 2-3 DOI series in the UK.)

Australia has too much of a beach /swimming culture to use ice skating to cool off in summer Jo. In my street every 2nd or 3rd house has a backyard swimming pool to cool off in. We don't - its to much work to look after, plus strict regulations to prevent backyard pool drownings. Ice skating is more of a novelty here, although my sister's godmother went into the amateur icecapades at the ice rink near her home when she was in her 50s. They put on an annual show. She is now in her 70s and still likes to get onto the ice now and then.

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2014 at 16:04
When I was working, we had an exchange thing going with Australia. Their doctors and nurses came over here and ours went over there. I have never worked with an Australian I didn't like. Great people.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2014 at 08:14
Closing ceremony

Apart from the ballet which I found  a joy to watch (I am a ballet nut) I was bored stupid after half an hour. Too much culture for me

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2014 at 09:20
What are we going to do now it's over Toots?
What's Murray up to? I've lost track...

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2014 at 10:56
I haven't watched it yet - recorded it. I will skip through the bits that could be boring.

Posted By: Eviesmum
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2014 at 11:13
I caught some of this.

I didn't see much of the ice skating though, did see the women's short and long routines.  I thought the Russian girl who won was amazing and deserved her gold medal.  Her short routine was the best I've seen in ages.

I really enjoyed all the snowboard events too.  The slopestyle on both board and skis was very exciting. 

And of course Lizzie Yarnolds skeleton racing was great to watch.

I didn't watch the opening or closing ceremonies though, they are too long IMO.

Print Page | Close Window