Forum Name: Strictly Frocks
Forum Discription: The good, the bad & the Nancy
URL: http://www.theblueroom.me.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35672
Printed Date: 23 Nov 2017 at 05:39

Topic: Almost There : Week 12
Posted By: Thess
Subject: Almost There : Week 12
Date Posted: 22 Dec 2013 at 08:46
Week 12 saw our couples performing two dances each, meaning a quick change of costume was necessary.  Of course this is how it is in competition if you're a ten dancer, and the important things are that your hair and make up need to suit both your ballroom frock and your latin.  On Strictly the frocks are often so unique to the one dance that I was looking forward to seeing how the make up department covered this.  Here's how it all looked to me:

Natalie: Salsa - silvery loveliness!  Interesting diagonal cut in the top and the fringe, this did a fine job in disguising a lack of hip action.  Not Natalie's fault, Artems choreography for this was not Salsa and didn't really leave her many places to demonstrate good action, so in that respect the dress was perfect.  The metallic fringing meant that additional decoration wasn't required, but what was there was very well placed, although I could have done without the bead drops, I didn't feel that they added anything. It was a lovely dress but I don't think silver is Natalie's colour, I would have liked to have seen it on someone else.

Argentine Tango -I'm a sucker for a red dress, so this was right up my street. Lovely cut, the fluttering hemline drawing the eye down to Natalie's legs and feet, to show off her footwork.  Same colour embellishments are a classy look, but with Artem in the same colour, there was red red everywhere with nothing to break it up.  Alone, the dress was beautiful, as a couple, it was too much. My last gripe is that the straps keeping the undergarment in place were visible under Natalie's arms,which I thought was a little untidy.

Anya: Waltz - a very nice and tidy frock for this dance, much better than the sheeting she has had recently. Lovely colour on her, and although I think they are often used to mask poor body contact,on this occasion I didn't mind the floats. Probably because they have been rarely seen this series, but when they are designed like this, coming from the waist and looking almost like wings, they do look lovely on the move.  However, with all the underarm turns Anya insisted on putting in, she was in danger of getting tangled up in them!

Paso - I've had to watch this routine several times to see the frock, as I am completely distracted by Anya's poor routine and novice level footwork and body control.  Anyway, the frock was OK in parts, the brocade trimmings always give a Spanish feel to a dress, but hard to understand why Anya's was white and Patricks was in mauve.  For me, it was another cobbled together dress, a bodice from here ... a skirt from there ... pull it together with a sash ribbon at the waist.  Not awful, but not great.  And too long - she nearly got her heel stuck again, going by the terribly ugly way she kicked her leg in the air near the start.

Sophie: Smooth - very elegant and beautifully cut, quite a simple design but the choice of decoration brought it to life.  Those haematite beads worked brilliantly to shimmer as Sophie moved and the way the sunray pleats reacted when she was being twirled around made her look like she was flying. A stunningly simple dress that looked stunning on the floor.

Paso - oh no, not another ankle length Paso frock!  Fab colour, but very 1980's throwback teamin it with black! I love these little ruffled cap sleeves that have made several appearances this series, they're beautifully constructed, however I did not like the 'V' shape front and back at the hip line. They looked clunkyand fought with the lacy scrolling that was actually running across the hips on the bodice.  I understand that that this may have been aded to stop it looking like a ballroom gown, but if DSI stopped putting the ladies in long ballroom gown length dresses for latin, it wouldn't be a problem to solve!

Susanna: Foxtrot - another prom style dress which is fine, the shape suits her, but I would have loved to have seen that Foxtrot danced in a proper long gown.  The sparkly sleeve was a nice touch, but the lines in the bodice were a little too high at the front and could have been brought down an inch or two. A bit of an odd choice in colour, but the flash of pink at the fron and at the waist, lifted the overall look. 

Salsa - bright clashing colors suit Susanna and this dress was just the tastful side of Carmen Miranda.  A great empire line cut for the bodice was spoiled somewhat by the addition of the blue belt which I think was a last minute add on.  Anyway, the godets flounced their way through the dance and I liked that they were cut higher at the front, it changes the weight of the skirt and how it moves.  Great little mover on the floor, but ditch the belt!

Abbey: Samba - a version of her very first dress for the promo shoots.  Absolutely beautiful ice blue colour and a brilliant choice for her, she carried it well.  The cut of the skirt is great, showing off Abbey's lovely legs, while still having enough skirt to use to enhance the moves.  The pleating over the bodice provided some interest and the feathers just bounced along nicely. Only one issue for me, which was the visble seam on the sheer skirt. I know it's unaoidable, but if it had been placed just a little higher it would have been masked by the undergarment. 

Smooth - another deceptively simple look, which is actually very clever design.  Clean lines, very demure at the front with an almost entirely exposed back, I usually like to see them cut a wee bit higher on the back, but I'll make an exception here - since she looked lovely.  A very light weight wire through the hem meant that the skirt danced well throughout, especially in the rotating lifts. Beautiful.

A very good week for frocks ladies, very well done.  Not overkeen on either of the Paso frocks, but overall it was a great week.  Hair and makeup did a reasonable job, the ladies makeup was fabulous as usual, and most of the hairstyles worked well, but I do wish ponytails would be banned.  The add nothing to the ladies deportment and the way they whipped around during the dances, I feared that some of the men could have had an eye out! 

My favourite frocks of the night were both of Abbeys. But Natalie's gets a mention too, but only on it's own (or if Artem wears black!).

And so onward we go into the final ...... but that's coming in another thread!

-------------
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.

Replies:
Posted By: Jo Bird
Date Posted: 22 Dec 2013 at 09:30
Thanks Thess I loved Abbey's dresses too.

Artem only needed a santa hat to complete his outfit

-------------
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Posted By: thengp12
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2013 at 14:57
A great read once again Thess
Merry Christmas

-------------
thengp12 reality show continues
🎭💃

Print Page | Close Window