Forum Name: Dancing On Ice 2012
Forum Discription: All the news and goss from DOI
URL: http://www.theblueroom.me.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34063
Printed Date: 17 Oct 2017 at 03:11

Topic: Kyran Bracken's Semi Final Blog
Posted By: Kyran Bracken
Subject: Kyran Bracken's Semi Final Blog
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 13:22
I won't say I told you so but my prediction of the three finalists was right; Jorgie, Chico and Matt. Last night saw the departure of the best 'performer'. Nobody could interpret the music so well and make a story out of each piece of music. Her skating was clearly weaker than the others but fair play to her solo skills skate, Jennifer showed she can do it.

Jen felt she had let herself down with her stumble but none of the skaters were perfect on the night, otherwise there would have been 10's. I did not like Chico's slow number as much as his faster and funnier one's. I thought Matt would have got a 10 without doing the head banger and Jorgie was sooo good but not according to the judges. Also her solo skate was very impressive. I felt the judges had pre decided who was the best and marked accordingly.

For that reason I DON'T feel they should see the celebs in rehearsals before they perform. The celebs do a few run throughs with the judges present and even chat to the skaters back stage. So already they are armed with knowledge of flaws. I recall Nicky Slater giving me some tips and helping me to be smoother, that helped in the live performance and in his mark. If the judges watch it cold they can see it like us the viewer, for the first time and not pre-determine their favourites.

One thing I have to say is that the stronger skaters tend to make the final. There is often a celeb who gets through a few weeks despite being the worst skater, the same happens in Strictly Come Dancing as we’ve seen year after year. But, eventually, those skaters end up in the skate off one way or the other and go. So what of the three best skaters. What are their strengths and weaknesses and who will YOU vote for?

Chico is adorable with his PMA (‘positive mental attitude’, as referred to on twitter) He works harder than the others but needed to as he is not as good as the others (also the others are working another job!). He is strong in the lifts and has sound basics. But my feeling is he needs fun music to be the Chico we all love, cheeky, sexy and fun. Sorry but the slow stuff does not suit him in my opinion. For that reason if he gets to do the Bolero I don't think he will win, but it is a public vote and he is getting popular.

Jorgie, what a brilliant skater who is probably the best ever girl to be on Dancing on Ice. OK she does not have an iconic routine like others but she is breaking boundaries like the landing of a bounce spin, incredible. She is very brave AND sweet but behind that she is steely and determined. Matt is always portrayed as the perfectionist who wants to win. But she is too. What impresses me most about Jorgie is her ability to try everything Torvill and Dean throw everything at her and she copes every time. This year it’s a female’s turn to win and she is the only female left. However being in the skate off last week makes me question if people are voting. The prop week saw her through despite being bottom. Maybe the public just expected her to go through last week.

Which is maybe the biggest danger to Matt. I think he is amazing though still short of the incredible Chris Fountain. He has wonderful lines and ability to dance and make each routine look like he is on stage, you would hardly know he was skating. However, his popularity has never been tested. I don't know whether that helps or not. I was never in the skate off and so have no idea if it is a good or bad thing. Has Matt come across well? Let me know. Personally, I like him, as he is a determined but humble guy. I have little doubt hordes of young girls will be voting for him. But will he suffer like Chris Fountain did? Chris was 'the one to beat' and the British public like to vote for the underdog.

So there you have it, who will win? YOU decide. Your predictions would be nice, let me know.

-------------
Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/KyranBracken - Kyran Bracken Twitter

Also associated with http://www.gameplansolutions.co.uk - Gameplan Solutions

Replies:
Posted By: killersbee
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 17:46
Spot on Kyran, I think Matthew may just scrape it in the end.

-------------
Catwoman: "For one if I was a bloke, I would not flirt with you two. I have standards."
Toots: "If I had a figure like Ola's, I'd wear that outfit to Sainsburys!"

Posted By: tamfan
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 20:31
With Matthew out of the voting I think Chico picked up the extra votes. Many people wanted Chico in the final and many people wanted to keep Jen out of the final. I still want Jorgie to win. In the skills test Matthew is hard to beat but I don't think his footwork is always as good in routines especially in fast routines. Also he does not connect with Nina the way Matt and Jorgie do. However her treatment in the last two weeks and in particular in props week was intended to eat away at her popularity and has probably succeeded to an extent. I hope she gets to do bolero . Potentially it could be really special just as the Falliin' routine was. Jorgie has shown she can perform any kind of routine and make the story believable. Matt and Jorgie perform memorable routines and I think their partnership is really special. Dancing on Ice is not just about being technically strong. It is also about connecting with your partner and making the audience believe the story. That is why I think Jorgie and Matt win.

Posted By: CarolynUK
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 20:51
Almost 100%agree with you Kyran... but I don't think Jorgie is as good as a lot of other people do.... she looked good to the the untrained eye but she does tend to rush everything and doesn't finish her moves properly - which is where Matt and Chico knock her dead!

She has been very lucky in that she drew one of the most popular pros who has a huge fanbase of his own to help her... Nin a is still a relatively new (but absolutely wonderful) pro who hasn't got the same following that Matt E has - that said she is definitely a very talented lady, but Matt W is streets ahead of her technically - and has a harder job in that he has to do all the lifts and tricks that he has only done for a few months as opposed to Matt W who has been doing this for YEARS!

Neither of the "headbangers" were great - Matt E saved Jorgie who would have fallen on her landing if he hadn't caught her (on both skates), and Nina is lucky not to have concussion!

Chico did a clean and lovely skate so deserved  to be top after the first skate, and his skills test showed how controlled  and complete all his movements are - and he did it with a smile whilst MattW admitted he was concentrating too hard to even think about smiling .....

At the end of the day - the right 3 are in the final - and may the best one win (but my vote is with Chico!)

-------------
Keeeep Dancin'

Posted By: tamfan
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 22:21
I think the headbangers were given to Matt and Jorgie so that it was unlikely they would achieve a clean skate. ( Sorry I've seen too many of these reality programmes. ) This left the door open for Chico to get the best marks and win the first round. It was crucial that he was in first place to give him a chance to get straight through to the final. With Matthew given immunity Chico had the highest score when the voting opened. Perhaps this is the only way they could make sure he was safe. I suspect he was normally less popular than Jen and Dan. Yes Jorgie is with Matt Evers is very popular and very experienced. However not all his partners get to the final so Jorgie must get some credit for being there. Chico was given the help he needed to get to the final. He does deserve to be there but he is technically not the best figure skater .. Matthew is and he is not the best ice dancer... Jorgie is. This is an ice dancing competition so for me Jorgie and Matt should win.

Posted By: Eviesmum
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 11:45
I really love all 3 couples in the final, they all bring something different.

We still don't know about Matthew's popularity really, it's never been tested, so it will be interesting to see how he does.

I would love for Chico and Jodeyne to win, I think he's been absolutely fantastic and Jodeyne is lovely.

I think Jorgie will win though and she deserves it, she's been fantastic, lovely to watch and comes across as such a gem. 

Posted By: Toots
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 15:04
Originally posted by Eviesmum

I really love all 3 couples in the final, they all bring something different.

We still don't know about Matthew's popularity really, it's never been tested, so it will be interesting to see how he does.

I would love for Chico and Jodeyne to win, I think he's been absolutely fantastic and Jodeyne is lovely.

I think Jorgie will win though and she deserves it, she's been fantastic, lovely to watch and comes across as such a gem. 

Me too! or Jorgie if he can't win. I just can't take to Matthew. I don't watch the soaps so have no idea who he is. He just leaves me cold. It's not that I dislike him intensely as I disliked Ray Quinn, I simply  can't see anything in him at all.

Posted By: deborah31
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 22:25
I would like Chico to win, he's had the longest (or shortest as he started behind everyone else) journey!!!!! , that 'J" word again.

Seriously tho, he is by far the most entertaining, of course he can do slow, and ballads, even better than upbeat 'cheeky' numbers, he's a born entertainer.

I don't think I can survive a Boring Bolero, so won't be watching, but I will check here to see if he won, and have a gander at his skate/dance.

He should win for NOT doing another  headbanger (ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz, yawn, boring)  in my book , LOL

-------------
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'

Posted By: Eviesmum
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 22:28
If I never see another headbanger it would be too soon, I hate it.

Print Page | Close Window