Forum Name: Dancing On Ice 2012
Forum Discription: All the news and goss from DOI
URL: http://www.theblueroom.me.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=33983
Printed Date: 23 Oct 2017 at 01:59

Topic: Jennifer's smile returns
Posted By: Bren
Subject: Jennifer's smile returns
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 10:38

Baby steps: Jennifer Ellison's smile returns as she regains her confidence on the ice

By http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/search.html?s=&authornamef=Daily+Mail+Reporter - Daily Mail Reporter

Last updated at 7:57 PM on 18th February 2012

Earlier in the week she was in tears as she took her first tentative steps back onto the ice following her horrific injury.

But yesterday, Jennifer Ellison's smile was back in place as she began to regain her confidence during Dancing On Ice rehearsals with partner Dan Whiston.

The 28-year-old gripped Whiston tightly as he guided her through moves ahead of this weekend's showdown.

Easy%20does%20it:%20Jennifer%20Ellison%20clutches%20partner%20Dan%20Whiston%20as%20she%20regains%20her%20confidence%20on%20the%20ice%20during%20rehearsals%20yesterday

Easy does it: Jennifer Ellison clutches partner Dan Whiston as she regains her confidence on the ice during rehearsals yesterday

Miss Ellison skated gingerly at first with the help of her partner, but it wasn't too long before she was gliding again with ease and her smile had returned.

The confident moves were a far cry from the distraught actress breaking down on the ice just the day before.

Jennifer was pictured in tears during rehearsal, saying that she feels she is 'back to square one' after suffering a blow to the head on last week's show.

Back%20into%20the%20groove:%20Jennifer%20is%20guided%20through%20her%20routine%20by%20partner%20Dan%20Whiston

Back into the groove: Jennifer is guided through her routine by partner Dan Whiston

She admitted that she'd had a mini meltdown after Sunday's accident, revealing she's been crying non stop and is struggling to prepare for this weekend's showdown.

Ellison stunned viewers when she smashed her skate's blade into her skull during her daring 'scorpion kick' move.

Jennifer managed to finish the rest of the routine, even receiving the highest score of her season so far on Sunday's show.

Gaining%20confidence:%20The%2028-year-old%20is%20back%20on%20form%20following%20her%20horrific%20injury%20last%20week

Gaining confidence: The 28-year-old is back on form following her horrific injury last week

But she was later pictured being attended to by medics, and as she left the Dancing On Ice studios her scalp could be seen covered in blood while she clutched her head during her lift home.

The Brookside star has since attempted to get back on her skates ready to compete in the next episode of the celebrity competition.

But she has now spoken out to reveal the difficulties she is having, revealing she is still getting over the shock.

Tears:%20Jennifer%20Ellison%20has%20been%20struggling%20to%20contain%20her%20emotions%20as%20she%20tries%20to%20get%20back%20on%20skates%20following%20last%20weeks%20Dancing%20On%20Ice%20injury

Tears: Jennifer Ellison has been struggling to contain her emotions as she tries to get back on skates following last week's Dancing On Ice injury

Meltdown:%20The%20actress%20has%20barely%20practised%20this%20weeks%20routine%20as%20she%20tries%20to%20regain%20her%20confidence

Meltdown: The actress has barely practised this week's routine as she tries to regain her confidence

Appearing on ITV1 chat show Lorraine on Friday morning, she told the host: 'I went into a bit of shock and it's kind of set me back a little bit.

'I feel like I've gone back to square one. I'm like Bambi.'

And the star has barely had any time back on the ice because she keeps on crying and having to halt rehearsals, revealing she's so far only had two hours' rehearsal with only two days to go.

Ouch:%20The%20shocking%20moment%20on%20Sundays%20show%20which%20saw%20Jennifers%20ice%20skate%20bash%20into%20the%20back%20of%20her%20skull

Ouch: The shocking moment on Sunday's show which saw Jennifer's ice skate bash into the back of her skull

She told ITV's Daybreak on the same day: 'After the accident I went into shock and that's had a bit of a knock-on effect and we still haven't started our routine for Sunday.

'Monday, I was in shock (when) I went back on the ice. I kind of took a funny turn so they cancelled training. Then Tuesday I went on and just couldn't stop crying.'

Medical%20attention:%20The%20actress%20was%20left%20shocked%20following%20the%20incident%20but%20has%20been%20trying%20to%20make%20a%20comeback

Medical attention: The actress was left shocked following the incident but has been trying to make a comeback

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2103115/Dancing-On-Ice-2012-Jennifer-Ellisons-smile-returns-regains-confidence-ice.html#ixzz1mp5RopLs - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2103115/Dancing-On-Ice-2012-Jennifer-Ellisons-smile-returns-regains-confidence-ice.html#ixzz1mp5RopLs

Replies:
Posted By: BambionIce
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 11:37
It was a horrible thing to happen, agreed - and it's natural that it would upset her. 

But pur-leeese!  Over-reacting, much?

Or am I being horrid because she gets on my nerves?Confused

Posted By: killersbee
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 12:01
She's milking it for all it's worth because she's got Dan who I bet gets more of the votes than Jennifer does.

-------------
Catwoman: "For one if I was a bloke, I would not flirt with you two. I have standards."
Toots: "If I had a figure like Ola's, I'd wear that outfit to Sainsburys!"

Posted By: fluff
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 12:57
Originally posted by BambionIce

It was a horrible thing to happen, agreed - and it's natural that it would upset her. 

Honestly?  Yes, I think your reaction is down to the fact you didn't like her already.

It's less than a week since she cut her head open and got a concussion, so I really cannot see how talking about it, when asked, is "milking it".  It would be a big deal for her and maybe she should "man up", but I don't think that's the same as milking it.  It would only be milking it if you think she is just pretending to have been shaken up.

DOI itself milked it last week, showing the footage multiple times, and the press have joined in too.  But Jen herself tweeted quite quickly to say she was fine, which is the exact opposite of what a person "milking it" would do.

I think if you know you don't like someone, and don't think she should be talking about her injury, then it's your own fault that you get annoyed if you click on a thread about her where they are bound to be talking about her injury.

However, I hope that this week Jen does get some decent ice time, and if she struggles, she doesn't get a sympathy vote. 

Posted By: Tups
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 15:05
Originally posted by BambionIce

nope.. not at all.. agree with you entirely!

Posted By: Toots
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 17:37

It's less than a week since she cut her head open and got a concussion, so I really cannot see how talking about it, when asked, is "milking it".  It would be a big deal for her and maybe she should "man up", but I don't think that's the same as milking it.  It would only be milking it if you think she is just pretending to have been shaken up.

DOI itself milked it last week, showing the footage multiple times, and the press have joined in too.  But Jen herself tweeted quite quickly to say she was fine, which is the exact opposite of what a person "milking it" would do.

I think if you know you don't like someone, and don't think she should be talking about her injury, then it's your own fault that you get annoyed if you click on a thread about her where they are bound to be talking about her injury.

However, I hope that this week Jen does get some decent ice time, and if she struggles, she doesn't get a sympathy vote. 
[/QUOTE]

Ummm If anyone has a concussion and I quote' an horrific head injury' We keep them in hospital at least overnight on neuro obs through the night. It is impossible to glue together a head wound described as a 'gash,' just impossible. There is no way either,  a doctor would allow someone with a seroius head injury  to hang around for the final. He/she would get her to hospital stat.  and no way would the hospital let a concussion go back to a live TV program. SO. Either there was gross medical  negligence or a cut on the head  has been inflated a bit for publicity by the show's producers and God knows, it needs something to liven it up

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 20:36
You don't need to go to hospital just because you've got a normal concussion.  You should be observed by someone who knows what they are doing, and in certain circumstance, medidal treatment will be required, but the lack of a hospital stay is not proof that she's milking it.

I'm a qualified first aider, and having checked I've remembered correctly, my book doesn't say that you are required to attend hospital because of a concussion.    I remember my cousin kept getting concussion playing rugby, and while he was sometimes given a ban from playing for a certain period, he didn't once get sent to hospital for that reason.  He managed several injuries that did require a trip to the A&E.

It was a head injury, and whether or not it was horrific depends on whether or not you think that getting hit in the head with an ice skate is horrific.  I'm fairly certain it isn't an official medical description.

I know a few of you don't much like Jennifer, and that's fair enough, but I find it a bit distasteful to demean her perfectly normal reaction to a nasty injury because of it.   I'm not sure what it is about the place this year, but it feels meaner than when I used to visit. 

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 00:45
Oh Fluff, I'm so sorry dear. I had no idea you were an expert first aider and there's me just a simple old neurosurgery theatre sister. I bow to your superior knowledge and experience.

Posted By: Tasi
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 07:52
Originally posted by fluff

You don't need to go to hospital just because you've got a normal concussion.  You should be observed by someone who knows what they are doing, and in certain circumstance, medidal treatment will be required, but the lack of a hospital stay is not proof that she's milking it.I'm a qualified first aider, and having checked I've remembered correctly, my book doesn't say that you are required to attend hospital because of a concussion.    I remember my cousin kept getting concussion playing rugby, and while he was sometimes given a ban from playing for a certain period, he didn't once get sent to hospital for that reason.  He managed several injuries that did require a trip to the A&E.It was a head injury, and whether or not it was horrific depends on whether or not you think that getting hit in the head with an ice skate is horrific.  I'm fairly certain it isn't an official medical description.I know a few of you don't much like Jennifer, and that's fair enough, but I find it a bit distasteful to demean her perfectly normal reaction to a nasty injury because of it. 

I'm not sure what it is about the place this year, but it feels meaner than when I used to visit. 

What a stupid post! have you not heard of Natasha Richardson? She had a simple fall when skiing, knocked her head, refused to go to hospital and was dead the next day from a clot on the brain. ALL head injuries, no matter how 'simple' some first aider thinks they are, needs to be seen by a doctor and monitored for at least 24 hours

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 12:25
any head injury is not nice - cannot take to Jennifer at all and to be honest her skating is not up to much either cannot see her being in the show too much longer.

Head injury aside, she has had a new 'drama' everyweek on twitter to report followed by at least 3 bikini clad articles in the press this week besides numerous reports re her injury - good PR I suppose from her - and it worked she did avoid the bottom 3 this week

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 13:48
I know nothing about the girl Bren. Never heard of her, hubby and I don't watch soaps so rarely know  the contestants on DOI or SCD. It's good really, because we take them on face value. We thought Jennifer was nice enough for the first few shows but when she started whinging and the false 'Oh my God I've got through to another week' act when her name was announced as safe, quite put us off her. 
How are you love? So glad you are out of hospital

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 18:30
Originally posted by Tasi

What a stupid post! have you not heard of Natasha Richardson? She had a simple fall when skiing, knocked her head, refused to go to hospital and was dead the next day from a clot on the brain. ALL head injuries, no matter how 'simple' some first aider thinks they are, needs to be seen by a doctor and monitored for at least 24 hours

Have you really registered especially to tell me that I'm stupid for not taking head injuries seriously enough, when I was the one in this thread who was taking her injury more seriously than everyone else?

A forum like this really isn't the place to give, or take medical advice.  However, as you registered especially to cast aspersions on my post, I'll point out that Natasha Richardson's injury was very different to Jen's, as were her circumstances afterwards - ie being at a ski resort and not near the hospital. 

I'm going to assume you don't think that Jen's injury was faked by ITV using CGI, and so you accept she did have a head injury.  Therefore, if you think I'm that stupid that you had to register especially to say so, I suggest you also write to the DOI producers to tell them that their on-site medics don't know what they are doing, and to the people who write the first aid books to tell them they don't know what they are doing.  Add to that list, the A&E nurse who taught me wrong, and the  A&E consultant who examined me,  and didn't pull me up despite getting it wrong.  You will also need to get onto the various medical people who have sent family and friends home with advice following examinations after head injuries.

I said that head injuries need to be monitored, and in Jen's case, she was monitored at the tv studios for several hours, then sent home with her husband, who was presumably given the same kind of advice my friend's mum was given when the hospital sent her home.  I would agree that if they weren't confident he was able to monitor her properly, they shouldn't have let her go home, but I wasn't privvy to that conversation, so your guess is as good as mine.  The fact is, that's what happened.

It is unfortunately true that a lot of people don't take head injuries seriously enough.  There is evidence of that from others in this thread.  However, it is patently untrue to claim that it is standard procedure for everyone with a head injury to be admitted to hospital for observation.   If you aren't happy with that fact, take it up elsewhere.  If you are unhappy with people on this forum not taking head injuries seriously enough, please start with the people who were dismissing Jen's injury before picking on me.

I don't care if people hate Jen's gurning, or think she's a rubbish skater.  They can hate her for having silly hair for all I care.  I was pointing out that it's ridiculous to pick on her for being shaken up in the days after a head injury.  I stand by that, and if anyone wants to argue that point, feel free.  Please don't try to suggest I'm saying something I'm not.

Posted By: Tasi
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 20:51
Fluff, you really should research before you pass silly comments about me. I registered in 2006 !!! Just what one would expect from you

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 07:44
I wonder how many people are voting for her, and how many just because her partner is Dan? Would be interesting to find out wouldn't it?

If they are voting for her, then the votes will probably fall soon, but if for Dan, she could well go all the way.

Date Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 10:43
low and behold just before this week's show yet another Jennifer story in the  press designed for sympathy vote seems more than conincidence to me 

Date Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 13:05
Originally posted by Bren

low and behold just before this week's show yet another Jennifer story in the  press designed for sympathy vote seems more than conincidence to me 

Never! Is there no length to which she will go? Were there photos? Was she gurning? It's the only expression the poor soul can do.

Posted By: TashaK
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 07:06
Yes, it must have been a shock. Yes, she would have been shaken. But purleeeze, her reaction was way over the top.

Unfortunately head injuries aren't always taken seriously, even if you do go to hospital. I locked my blades dancing with my coach and landed on my head, got a huge egg come up straight away. I went to the local hospital, with a black bruise coming down from my head, over my ear and down my neck, to be told not to drive but to get a lift (which I didn't have) or a BUS to another hospital 22 miles away. I had a skull fracture! I didn't weep and wail for a week though, just got back on the ice when I was able and carried on even if I was a bit wobbly to begin with.

Or maybe these slebs are just far too pampered for their own good.

-------------
Before you criticise someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticise them you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Print Page | Close Window