Print Page | Close Window

Could this be the last ever series?

Printed From: The Blue Room
Category: Reality TV
Forum Name: Dancing On Ice 2012
Forum Discription: All the news and goss from DOI
URL: http://www.theblueroom.me.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=33978
Printed Date: 15 Dec 2017 at 17:53

Topic: Could this be the last ever series?
Posted By: Toots
Subject: Could this be the last ever series?
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 11:50
I've been reading other forums and even the diehard fans are fed up to the back teeth. Basically it boils down to:

1. Too long
  2. Not enough input from pros
  3. Celebs one hardly knows
  4. Bland judges
  5. Too much of Torville and Dean on the ice and off the ice.
  6. Too much shouting by presenter(s)
  7. Boring format
  8. Predictable final show format

What can be done to save it? Any ideas?

For myself, last year I never even watched the final. One more Bolero would have made me vomit.

Replies:
Posted By: killersbee
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 16:51
Strictly is on it's last legs as well, but they cannot seem to part ways with the BBC.

This would only be the last Series if the ITV bosses say so.

-------------
Catwoman: "For one if I was a bloke, I would not flirt with you two. I have standards."
Toots: "If I had a figure like Ola's, I'd wear that outfit to Sainsburys!"

Posted By: moonshine
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 16:53
agee with everything you say
except i think there is not enough of t,d dancing would rather watch them each week then the "celebs" anytime

-------------
moonshine

Posted By: BambionIce
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 18:42
In general I'd concur - but I wouldn't call Katarina or Robin "bland".  They're fair, informative and don't resort to personal abuse. As judges it's not their role to be "personalities".
Too long? Too much needles chat by the presenters (and Karen Barber)? Not enough of the pros? Yes, definitely, and the T&D point is certainly debatable.

However, the absence of a certain look-at-me-I'm-really-controversial-aren't-I judge, (despite his replacement being a grade one irritant) has made this series more watchable than the last one for me.  That puts me in the minority I suppose but hey - I don't mind being differentBig%20smile

Posted By: littlesue
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 19:20
Originally posted by killersbee

Strictly is on it's last legs as well, but they cannot seem to part ways with the BBC.

Was'nt the last series of Strictly the most sucessful in the way of viewing figures?

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 20:07
Originally posted by littlesue

Originally posted by killersbee

Was'nt the last series of Strictly the most sucessful in the way of viewing figures?

Apparently it was Sue. That's what I heard, but maybe killersbee knows something we don't?

Posted By: deborah31
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 09:23
Maybe the GBP are just 'not into' Ice Skating??en masse
I think it could be an even bigger hit in skating countries, such as Canada, The Netherlands, Norway , Russia etc.. where the ice is a way of life, and not a minority sport. (altho maybe no journey, as everyone skates even my friends 74 year old mother in Canada!! skates better than any of us )
Has it increased the number of Ice Skaters in the UK?? I doubt it, I think the one in NOrwich is going into receivership, and it's part of a chain in the UK I think. I think it still remains an exclusive and elistist sport for many.

Maybe we should try a roller blading show next?? at least more accessible, and cheaper than Ice Skating, that would sack T&D tho!! (unless they adapted!!) and something that the kids could take to and do in the streets!
Failing that why not a 'skate boarding' challenge show, something the younger generation would be more interested in too.

Maybe it's more popular in Scotland (big Curling country too) where they tend to do more sports in ice/cold???

Does Australia have a version of this show?? I doubt it, I struggled to find an Ice Rink when I lived there.

meant to add, when i lived and grew up in Manchester, I had to take 2 buses to reach Altrincham Ice Rink (a journey of 2 hours  total each way), and it was expensive, I  bought 2nd hand skates, so i could afford to go once a week as a teenager. There was no way i could have ever had lessons in either skating or dancing, and with the recession these days, it's too costly to encourage the kids for most people (public skating is currently £7.00 - £9.00 incl. skate hire)

-------------
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'

Posted By: BambionIce
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 11:21
There certainly was an Aussie version at one time - T&D were involved with it, and Maria Filipov won it if I remember correctly with her partner.  As for Russia - I have a feeling there were 2 versions at on stage, one involving T&D's old friends Bestemianova & Bukin, the other with more Olympic champions than you could shake a stick at.  I've seen clips on Youtube of that, and the standard is way higher than ours - no doubt because most of the celebs have some skating experience from childhood.

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 14:04
Originally posted by littlesue

That was due to the anti-X Factor protest because of that show's horrible changes. It may have had high rating, but I must be in the minority who hates that circus show, it's like DWTS but with Strictly in the name.

-------------
Catwoman: "For one if I was a bloke, I would not flirt with you two. I have standards."

Posted By: fluff
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 10:55
I don't think it will be the last series, as ratings are still pretty good in real terms and ITV would have to work hard to find something to match it.  However, ratings are down, so they should think carefully about what they want from the show. 

One of the most universal criticisms is that it's just too long, with too many adverts and too many celebrities on the starting line-up.   I'm certain that ratings would be higher with a shorter series, and leaner shows, but ITV may have decided thay'd rather have 12 weeks and the associated longer shows averaging 7.5 million than 10 weeks of shorter shows averaging 9 million.

I've no idea how much money the competitions bring in, but they are the most tiresome filler ever.   I wouldn't mind competitions with a better connection to the series such as tickets to the finals, or the tour, but competitions for random holidays is just an abuse IMO.

In terms of encouraging skating, I'm sure it must have some effect, but sadly not as big an impact as it could be.  I'd say the blame for that needs to be shared at both ends.    I think more time should be spent bigging up the sport and the basic skills of figure skating, which used to happen more when there was a defrosted show where Robin got to give proper explanations of the moves.   In the early days, there was a regular "required element", so the general public could become versed in some of the skating jargon, and there was also the year when they ran a competition for amateurs to go on tour with them.   That was all positive, but these days it feels more removed from what a normal person, or aspiring serious competitor would do at the rink.

At the other end, I think the coverage of serious skating in this country is dreadful.  I watched the red button coverage of the European Championships on the BBC and it was painful.  It wasn't suitable for any but the keenest of enthusiasts.  No attempt was made by the BBC to give an accessible introduction to who was skating, what the different disciplines were, what the rules were etc.   I could see the typical DOI fan dipping in, then dipping staight out again.  For all the talk of filler on DOI, at least they don't force you to watch them sweep the ice!

It is also unhelpful that some people in the competitive side of things have been quite ungracious about DOI.  I'm sure they have their reasons, and of course they are entitled to their opinions, but I think they have missed a trick.  The rules that prevent competitive skaters from having any involvement in a show like DOI is unfortunate too, as I think some kind of joined up promotion would benefit everyone.  

Having the link to current competitive skating would give DOI more credibility, while giving prime time air-time to our serious skaters would give them the kind of profile that means the rest of the media will give column inches to skating, which could only be good for the development of the sport in this country.

I do get the sense that in the last few years there have been more touring ice shows beyond the show's own tour.  I think going to see the DOI, especially watching the professionals do their show routines has encouraged people to see a full show.  Or perhaps I just read about more of them because I'm reading the DOI forums!

Posted By: @lovingDOI
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 12:32
i think it may go for one more year, only by talk of when the celebs have been hurt this year & pulled out, and it said, oh come back next year etc, i do think a lot more pro stuff should be on it,and jayne & Chris, they work so hard, but never really get to show there skill. we can only see. i do agree with the winning of tour tkts and DOI or pro skaters or jayne & chris stuff for prizes. that would be great. xx lets hope it does do another year, i would love it to xx

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 14:30
I think T&D would get more respect from me if they launched a type of 'get Britain skating' action, maybe try and get the government involved (subsidise with perhaps lottery funding, cheaping skating prices, and more public time to skate) before all the UK Ice Rinks close for good! (altho Olympics and Seb Coe et al take  priority this year!!)
Maybe they do a lot behind the scenes already tho, that I'm not aware of???

This would be putting back something into the sport in the UK, that made them famous.
Chris Dean I imagine still lives in Colarado most of the time, so don't think he could contribute too much , Skating, Ski-ing , hockey, big way of life over there in the Rockies. It is an expensive sport tho, (rink time extortionate, my friends sons plays Hockey, so Ice time, plus Kit- phenomenal costs) Most of the outdoor skating is of course 'free' over there in the winter, I used to skate pushing my two around in a double buggy on the ice!!- great fun, and something to hold onto!!!
I also lived in the Netherlands for 10 years, skating is BIG there too, all the kids have skates, rinks are much cheaper , more accessible, outdoor on 'pleins' or squares in towns is all over in the winter too. All the Christmas markets have the traditional 'ice skating rink' for the winter months.  Maybe it's just too much of a minority sport here??? UK people don't like the cold, and maybe are too lazy to get their family out there?? Would rather stay in and watch X-Factor IMO.nod

-------------
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'

Posted By: MargiABC
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 15:04
Originally posted by deborah31

Does Australia have a version of this show?? I doubt it, I struggled to find an Ice Rink when I lived there

Australia had a version with T & D in 2006, a few months after the first UK DOI. It was hosted by Jamie Durie (Celebrity gardener / presenter) and was on Channel 9. There was no tour after the first UK series that year as T & D and some of the pro skaters (Matt Evers and Kristina Lenko) came out from the first series to Sydney to do the show. The other skaters were a mixture of international skaters, some based in Australia including Pavel and his Australian wife and Maria Fillipov. Maria partnered Jake Wall and they won. It was a virtual copy of the first UK series with the some of the same choreography, songs and costumes used as there was little time to prepare new material. The number of episodes were cut down due to loss of a couple of celebrities from injuries. Unfortunately for us it was axed after the first series, fortunately for you as the UK got the tours.
This is how an Aussie got into Blue Room through DOI.
Some of the celebrities were Lara Bingle, Jake Wall both of whom did one of the DOI tours one year. Karl Stefonovic was also on it with some cricketers and other sports people.
I have been a fan of DOI ever since. I do get to watch it, even though its about 6-8 weeks later here. I have also bought all available DVDs through Amazon. I was always worried that I couldn’t watch them as we are region 4, but apparently all newer DVD players in Australia are not allowed to be locked to a region.

Posted By: emasl
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 09:52
If the floor managers would stop encouraging the shrieking and screaming from the audience it would help. My mute is used for most of this show.  Strictly is exactly the same and there have been lots of complaints.

I would like to see T and D do a proper routine each week as they did when this series first started.

they need to get better celebs, Strictly had a dreadfyl year when nobody had heard of half those taking part tho I appreciate that not many will want to risk life and limb on the skting rink

Louis W obviously does not like Katerina but wish he would try to hide it a bit better unless he has been told to do the Bad Boy bit.

Chris Bleakley lives up to her name - bleak and cold with a fixed rictus grin.  Was rather fond of Holly as she had a warmth about her that was quite endearing but cannot take to Miss B at all. Appreicate that this is only my personal opinion

Get rid of Gubba whose commentary at the end of each routine is toe curlingly dreadful

I do love this show and the standard of skating has improved so much from Series 1.

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 13:26
I agree about the audience, and I too am finding it hard to like Louie S.  I don't agree about T&D, a little less of them would go down well in this house, and alittle more of the pros having a spot on their own. It could easily be done with the ones who have been eliminated. I love Tony's commentary, I swear he makes up half the terms he uses. Do you remember whne he lost if the night Todd went out of control? Highlight of the series for me

i would much rather have Holly too, but don't dislike Christine.

Posted By: emasl
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 17:52
I think Louie knows what is expected of him and does the camp thing to death. Mildly amusing at first but not so funny after a few weeks

Posted By: Alex
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 10:32
Originally posted by emasl

I think Louie knows what is expected of him and does the camp thing to death. Mildly amusing at first but not so funny after a few weeks

I was going to start a thread about the very same thing. Loved Louie week one but then Louie 'Showbiz' took over and we got the same old, in your face ott stereotypical camp crap. did he really have to declare himself a 'proud homosexual man' last Sunday? WTF has that got to do with judging? Louie managed to be entertaining and constructively critical in week one so he can do it again. Jason built up his part and Louie's doing the same thing, he needs to tone it down

Btw, what have the DOI wardrobe department got against Robin? It's the second week he looks like he's been dressed like a grand dad.

Anyway, some excellent points about the show from everyone above.

I know T&D used to get a cool £250k each for the tv show (I'm assuming that figure's shot up) but I don't believe the ratings are overly low compared to X factor/BGT etc as in general viewers seem to be tiring of the reality tv format, there are just too many. But the show IS admittedly looking a little stale, but that's because we've seen it all before. I know the music's been revamped etc but as people have said above, been there, done that.

DOI Rescue package

Shorter shows (two hours is nuts)

Cut down the ad breaks a bit

No Bolero, Bolero really needs to be put to bed, one of their other famous skates instead ie the Circus one (yes, it's the only other one I can think of)

Celebrities who are 'household' names ie we recognise them instantly and don't have to Google who they are
No 'reality tv stars' Unless they've been on one of the talent shows ie X Factor

Pros to have more input in their routines - finally, this series, I'm recognising some of the signature moves of certain pros, it's a bit samey

Spotlight on the pros. Maybe a little 'in house' competition each week on the ice, for ALL pros

BIG name guest stars EVERY week

Margi, one for you

DOI Australia-The Lion Sleeps Tonight

The funniest (and worst) flying routine ever. I have no idea who the celeb is but even though he's absolutely shit, he's loving every second of it, listen out for all his ooh and ahhhhs

Doi Australia-The Lion Sleeps Tonight [tube]nmZXe_ZCy7o&feature=related[/tube]

and one more, a slightly blurry pro routine

Stars of Australia's Dancing On Ice BeeGees

[tube]TkjR4XqRTuQ[/tube]

Again, with the amazing and loveliest and sweetest pro skater, the much missed Kristina

-------------
http://www.theblueroom.me.uk/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=280 - Big Brother 11

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 11:55
Ahhh Kristina and her lovely smile. Much missed and also missed areFred and Mel. Please. please Mr Dean, give the pros a bit more imut into the show and use karen a bit more 

Posted By: Eviesmum
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 12:32
I think Chris uses Karen quite enough Toots Wink

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 14:05
OUCH!

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 14:57
Originally posted by Eviesmum

I think Chris uses Karen quite enough Toots Wink

I was being careful. Somebody put, on another forum, that there was no fool like an old fool and did n't she realize that she was only his bedwarmer and the thread disappeared and the man who posted it was banned! Big%20smile

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 12:55
Originally posted by Alex

\Margi, one for you

DOI Australia-The Lion Sleeps Tonight

The funniest (and worst) flying routine ever. I have no idea who the celeb is but even though he's absolutely shit, he's loving every second of it, listen out for all his ooh and ahhhhs

and one more, a slightly blurry pro routine

Stars of Australia's Dancing On Ice BeeGees

Again, with the amazing and loveliest and sweetest pro skater, the much missed Kristina

Thank you Alex. Such good memories.

The celebrity with Kristina is Jules Lund, a TV presenter with a travel program on the same channel that aired DOI. He wasn't a finalist, but they let him do the flying routine because they knew he would be entertaining and funny.

Skating with Pavel Aubrecht in the Bee Gees routine is his wife Linda.

Posted By: dalquist
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2012 at 16:40
As an avid fan of DOI since the start, I have to say this year is the first year I have not bothered watching the main show and dipped in out of idle curiosity to the results show.   It had three super popular series, with series 3 in my opinion being the best ever, and then slowly began to dip, until this year, in spite of all the changes and all the gimmicks to make it fresh, its just become uninteresting full stop.    

It has lost ratings and so too has Wild at Heart, which follows DOI, so that's two programmes off the back of each other that could face a double chop leaving several hours to fill on a Sunday night with fresh material.    

The nasty injuries this year have not helped... two split heads so far... I wonder how much insurance premiums are, and if they will sky rocket at this rate.     

Karen's off screen role as coach may be very valid and essential to the show, but her onscreen presence now is something of an embarrassment. She sits there every week dolled up to the nines for what reason exactly !!!     One gets the impression because she parks her nightie next to Dean's PJs these days... her reward must be an onscreen appearance even if there no point at all to it.     

Don't start me on Louis... he may have seemed like a breath of fresh air at the start, but he grates on my nerves dreadfully now.    

At a push, I'll call ONE more season of DOI and then thats it... can't see it going on beyond that.

-------------
Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man, sooner or later the man who wins is the man who THINKS he can

Posted By: Brekkie
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2012 at 21:27
Call the Midwife has hit it hard, but isn't the main reason it's lost viewers.   The ads and length of the show are a real problem - it's been 2 hours long with 9 skaters, while even The X Factor can be down to 90 minutes when they're at that stage.   I'd shave 15 minutes (and hence one ad break) off the main show - and wouldn't mind if they clawed it back by fleshing out the Skate Off an extra 15 minutes, also moving the pro performance to that show.

The low calibre of celeb has been a real issue this year - Strictly seems to have stepped up a bit on this front in the last couple of years, so DoI needs to do the same.  

The big issue for me though has been the production standard of the show - it's not felt anywhere near as polished this year and little things like axing proper intros for the judges - and at times for individual skaters, plus Torvill and Dean being introduced as an after thought, makes the whole thing appear rushed.   And they're only rushed because Christine is going on and on about what people are saying on Twitter - those contestant chats are painful.   Agree Karen's role on screen is embarrasing - leave her to the VTs if she must feature, or put her as part of a team of choreographers, coaches and stylists ala X Factor (or even back on the panel instead of Katrina).

Obviously losing Holly and Jason hasn't helped either - although as much as I hated Christine and Louie beforehand I've actually found Louie especially quite watchable.   Katrina hasn't been that great though IMO - although I wouldn't necessarily axe her.

The twists are hit and miss, though I think both the Duel and the Skills Skate Off worked really well this year and am glad they're bringing back the Team Challenge and probably the solo skates this year.   They definately need to get back to around 12 celebs to start with as well and bring back the Champions of Champions for the final week too.   (Not really sure why they axed that!)

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 11:57
Originally posted by dalquist

It has lost ratings and so too has Wild at Heart, which follows DOI, so that's two programmes off the back of each other that could face a double chop leaving several hours to fill on a Sunday night with fresh material.     

both shows 'had their day' imo.

ITV needs a new reality show for Sunday nights now, they need to consult Endemol, see what their  latest idea(s)  is/are!!

-------------

Posted By: Alex
Date Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 14:50
Som good points

I believe Endemol / C5 are very pleased with the success of CBB, in fact, they're soooo pleased....

*cuts off*

-------------
http://www.theblueroom.me.uk/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=280 - Big Brother 11

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2012 at 10:35
I have been looking forward to seeing DOI on the UKTV Australia channel. Its been programmed to start on Mon 23.3.11 at 2.30am. What kind of time is that to show a programme? Maybe its not so popular here. I'll get my friend to record it so I can watch it at a decent time.

Posted By: TashaK
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 21:00
I've barely watched it this year.

I don't recognise most of the 'slebs'.

Couldn't stand Holly but the Bleakley woman is no better.

Louie gets on my nerves.

Karen ... WHY? Well, we know why but even so

There's no polish, the 'twists' are boring. I want more skating, less tricks and less predictability. It just feels old.

I love skating and can watch 'proper' skating for hours but I'm bored with this

I loved Bolero but even that is getting boring, it's a shame to ruin such an iconic dance.

I don't know what they can do to make it better because, regrettably, I don't really care

-------------
Before you criticise someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticise them you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Posted By: moonshine
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 20:37
they should shorten the sunday night shows it is to long less people (celebs) on the show so it will be a few weeks less

also how about this for two  ideas

1 the celebs swap partners every week/every two weeks

2 one week just the proffessionals dance and give the celebs the night off they are scored the same way as the celebs and it is an open vote for the public to vote for the best the points they earn go towards thier celebs next dance  

-------------
moonshine

Print Page | Close Window