Print Page | Close Window

Plans to bring UK clocks forward!

Printed From: The Blue Room
Category: General
Forum Name: News and Views
Forum Discription: The stories you really want to hear, as they happen .
URL: http://www.theblueroom.me.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=31114
Printed Date: 25 Nov 2017 at 00:06

Topic: Plans to bring UK clocks forward!
Posted By: deborah31
Subject: Plans to bring UK clocks forward!
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 23:08

Plan to bring UK clocks forward

Dawn%20in%20Cheshire The move would mean darker summer mornings but lighter evenings

Longer evenings could move a step closer with a government plan to move UK clocks forward an extra hour.

A "tourism strategy" will include a plan to move the clocks in line with most of Europe, bringing lighter evenings but darker mornings.

Tourism chiefs and safety campaigners support the move, but there are fears in Scotland about road accidents.

Ministers want to be satisfied the country backs the plan before giving the go-ahead, the BBC understands.

Last year, Prime Minister David Cameron indicated he was willing to consider a switch.

"The argument will be won when people across the country feel comfortable with the change," he said in August.

"It's up to those who want to make the change to make the argument to try to convince people right across the country that it's a good thing.

"People who like taking part in sporting activity and would like longer days are already quite easy to sway. That's the key to winning this argument."

Click to play

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12517762#play -

Click to play

Dr Mayer Hillman explains the advantages and disadvantages of the UK moving ahead of GMT

The proposals will be published by the Department of Culture, Media and Sport in the coming week, the BBC has been told.

Three-year trial

Bringing the clocks forward by one hour would bring the UK into line with Central European Time (CET), which is Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) plus one hour.

It would mean, for instance, that instead of the sun rising in Newcastle-upon-Tyne at 0714 and setting at 1723, as it does at this time of year, it would rise at 0814 and set at 1823.

Tourism bosses say the number of overseas visitors would increase if summer evenings were lighter and they estimate the benefits to the economy could total billions of pounds.

But there have been fears expressed in Scotland that putting the clocks forward would increase road accidents in the darker mornings.

A parliamentary bill requiring the government to conduct analysis of the costs and benefits of shifting the clocks forward received MPs' initial approval in December.

A three-year experiment to keep BST all year took place between 1968 and 1971, but was not made permanent.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12517762 - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12517762

-------------
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'

Replies:
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 23:10
Great Idea, can't wait

If Scotland objects, let them have their own time, they have their own parliament, their own school system,  their own football teams !! (lol)

I'm all for longer evenings in the summer, and kids coming home safer in the afternoons, and we leave early, and come back late.
But as you leave for work /school, it is getting lighter by the minute, as opposed to returning home as it goes darker, and darker , and darker!!

-------------
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'

Posted By: MargiABC
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 09:57
Is this the same as daylight saving in Australia? If it is, it would be no different to Queensland not following daylight saving while the rest of the Eastern states do. My friend moved to southern Queensland over 6 years ago, but she works over the border in NSW and her children finished high school in NSW. They live in Qld time, but had to work and go to school in NSW time between October and April. The winter months are fine, all eastern states are back in sync.

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 09:29
I was in Queensland at Easter, 2009, don't they have daylight saving now, on trial?
Or am I thinking of W.A. ?? (went there too )
I'm all a blur at the moment with time zones, rang a friend last week in Asia for her birthday, and was 2 hours out!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 10:38
WA did the trial. I think they decided not to continue with it. My friend in Qld always complains about the time difference in summer.

Posted By: SkatingSam22
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 17:50
*looks really confused*

this is something that isn't going to cost us something? .. wow!

-------------
Twitter: Misdiagnosed

Posted By: James
Date Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 12:41
Originally posted by deborah31

Scotland objects, let them have their own time, they have their own parliament, their own school system,  their own football teams !! (lol)

*gasp* Well, excuse US for being a separate country in the first place! We're not a province of England you know.

I have no problem with the clocks going forward an hour and staying that way. It's lovely to get up for a 7am start and have the sun shining - it definitely makes it easier, but I also going out to play in the summer in the lighter nights. There's nothing better than being in a nice beer garden or even my back garden til really late and still have the sun shining. There are some nights it doesn't even get full dark, I love that too.

Winter is the problem though - it's rubbish getting up in the dark, going to work then coming home when it's dark.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2011 at 15:36
James, does this mean it would be all year as opposed to just the summer months?

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2011 at 21:36
summer would be double summer time then!! (ie gmt +2)

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2011 at 21:38
I for one, can't wait until we have CET (central european time)
light light nights in the summer!!

oh oh will have to buy black out blinds for my kids tho!!!, lol

I want to go to Scandinavia one summer when they have almost round the clock daylight!!
that would be amazing.

-------------

Posted By: SkatingSam22
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 09:35
*stomps her foot*

just realised that this means the time scale between US and UK will be even further apart - so no, I don't want it! It's difficult trying to talk to my Mum (she lives in America) now as it is .. let alone when they decide this is going to happen!!

I'm with James on the shift thing tho .. 7am-8pm shifts suck with things like light and dark mornings/nights

*siiiighs* this is going to cause problems :(

-------------
Twitter: Misdiagnosed

Posted By: James
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 11:41
Originally posted by MargiABC

James, does this mean it would be all year as opposed to just the summer months?

I think it does Margi. Thing is, we can't have it both ways so it's either light mornings or light nights. I think I'd prefer it lighter in the evenings to be honest, that's my favourite thing about summer. In winter it's only really daylight while I'm at work so it won't make much difference either way.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 23:40
I like lighter nights/longer evenings too.

Lived on the equator for two years, dark all year round at 6 - 6.30pm, ok in winter, not good in summer!!

Nice in the summer, altho difficult to get kids to bed!

Still want to go to Scandinavia to have almost 24 hours sunshine one year

-------------

Posted By: tinatemplesmith
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 13:35
I'm not sure it would make a huge difference. The nights are light enough in the summer when it's nice, and when the weather's not nice it's dark. Plus, the north has light nights in summer anyway. It's only the south that would benefit.

-------------
Really looking forward to http://betting.betfair.com/specials/eurovision-song-contest/ - Eurovision 2011 !!

Posted By: Ninjacon123
Date Posted: 12 May 2011 at 09:58
hi gtuys how are uDance

-------------
The king
facebook: connor alexader

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 21:53

Stop the clocks

Says Deborah Meaden
TV Dragons' Den star

Published: Today

http%3A//www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/3899075/Stop-the-clocks.html&layout=button_count&show_faces=true&width=100&action=like&font=arial&colorscheme=light&height=21">
<THIS SUNDAY at 2am the clocks will go back an hour. But Dragons' Den star Deborah Meaden is backing the Daylight Saving Bill – currently going through Parliament – to leave the clocks as they are one autumn.

Then every spring we would move them forward an hour and every autumn we would move the clock back an hour as usual.

Deborah says this extra hour of light throughout the year would make roads safer, improve health, and boost business.

OUR annual clock-changing ritual which we'll be repeating once again this weekend feels like a form of madness.

Each year we wind our watches back and plunge our evenings into darkness. But nobody seems to know why.

We get an extra hour's sleep but in 21st Century Britain that's where the benefits end.

After years as an investor, I know a good idea when I see one. As a businesswoman, I understand the importance of using every resource as efficiently as possible.

Light is no exception.

That's why I'm joining the call to move Britain forward by one hour throughout the year, bringing our waking hours back in line with the hours of daylight.

Support%20...%20Deborah%20Meaden
Support ... Deborah Meaden

If you don't see the problem with our current system, just ask yourself this: When was the last time you went to bed before dark?

We sleep through hundreds of hours of daylight every year, and every hour wasted is a wasted opportunity.

By synchronizing the UK's clocks with our largest business partners in Europe, we would gain valuable extra trading time every working day.

There are also serious gains to be made in the tourism and leisure industries. Our outdoor attractions could stay open for longer, effectively extending the summer tourism season.

Independent research shows that this simple and inexpensive change would boost the industry by up to £3.5billion every year, creating up to 80,000 jobs.

It was this business case that first got my attention but the benefits of extra daylight touch almost every aspect of our lives.

Having more daylight in our lives would make us happier and healthier. Everyone hates leaving work in the dark and another hour of light is another hour we can spend walking in the park or playing sport rather than being stuck inside on the sofa.

By lighting up the evening rush hour, advancing the clocks would also make our roads safer, averting hundreds of accidents and saving around 80 lives a year.

Add to this the reduction in the need for evening electric lighting (saving on energy bills and carbon emissions) plus the health benefits to our workforce of additional evening sport and the case for change becomes compelling.

It is no wonder that opinion polls show strong support across the United Kingdom.

So who is opposed to this change? As it turns out, almost nobody.

There are plenty of myths flying around but with lives at stake and our economy on a knife edge, this is no time for folklore.

MP Rebecca Harris's Daylight Saving Bill, which is currently working its way through Parliament, is a rare opportunity properly to assess the way we set our clocks in this country.

The Bill is seeking a thorough government review of the evidence. Only if the review confirms the expected benefits would any trial be enacted. In other words, this is sensible, evidence-based policymaking.

This simple and popular policy will cost the public purse next to nothing and could, potentially, net the nation billions.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/3899075/Stop-the-clocks.html">http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/3899075/Stop-the-clocks.html

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 21:56
I think we need lighter nights in winter!!!
I'm all for this
Must put it to Chloe Smith (my local MP here in Norwich!!!!)

-------------

Posted By: jamesfly
Date Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 12:54
I'm not sure it would make a significant distinction. The night time are mild enough in the summertime season when it's awesome, and when the weather's not awesome it's black.

-------------
james anderson

Posted By: TashaK
Date Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 13:46
I'd much prefer longer evenings. When I worked in healthcare we didn't have any windows in our department so I literally never saw daylight during the week. It was awful and depressing.

Now most of my colleagues are in Europe anyway so I work to their time rather than UK time when I'm not on site somewhere.

I would have thought that lighter evenings would be safer road wise or at least no worse. Why are dark mornings worse than dark afternoons?

-------------
Before you criticise someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticise them you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Posted By: Jo Bird
Date Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 15:54
I'd love to have BST all year round. It just suits my body clock.

-------------
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Print Page | Close Window