Print Page | Close Window

Graze boxes

Printed From: The Blue Room
Category: Other Goodies
Forum Name: Food and Drink
Forum Discription: Eating in, eating out, and the best tipple to go with it.
URL: http://www.theblueroom.me.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=24600
Printed Date: 21 Oct 2017 at 20:23

Topic: Graze boxes
Posted By: James
Subject: Graze boxes
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2009 at 14:49
Has anyone heard of these? I just came across them on teh interweb. It seems to be a box which is split into 3 sections - the large one usually has fresh fruit and the other two can have nuts, dried fruit, savoury snacks, seeds, olives etc. Check it out http://www.graze.com - here . This code - 19BKZ5YL - will get you your first box free, and your second half price (£1.49). Your card is charged per box and you can cancel at any time. I thought it might be good to have something like this delivered (bit of luxury there) than go to the vending machine in work.

You can choose which days you want your boxes delivered and once you've done that, just browse their menu and pick all the things you like, love or are willing to try, and bin the stuff you hate (raisins, olives and bananas were the first to go).

If anyone has had them, tell me if they're good! I decided to have my first one delivered next Thursday so I have something to look forward to the week before payday.

Replies:
Date Posted: 03 Sep 2009 at 19:57
First black mark against Graze boxes

Got an email last night saying they decided not to put any fresh fruit into my box because there was a Royal Mail strike that would affect deliveries in my area. Well, there was no Royal Mail strike so if I don't get my box tomorrow (I'm also due one on Saturday too), I'm cancelling.

-------------

Posted By: Laura
Date Posted: 04 Sep 2009 at 12:39
not heard of them but they look nice.
cheaper to make your own but then i am a tight cow, lol!

Posted By: Jonnyboy
Date Posted: 04 Sep 2009 at 13:47
looks good but will wait to hear some customer feedback

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Sep 2009 at 14:33
GRRR it still hasn't arrived! Having said that, there might actually BE a postal problem because I'm also waiting on a delivery from Amazon Marketplace that hasn't arrived and was put in the post on Wednesday. I'll give them til Monday.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2009 at 11:54
OK both of my Graze boxes have arrived but I'm at work so will give a full review later. I'll have to discount the tardiness of the delivery because there apparently WAS a postal situation somewhere along the line.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2009 at 15:35
Right! I got both boxes yesterday, and am quite disappointed. The 'freshly-cut' pineapple is NOT freshly cut - it's dry, smells like a chocolate liqueur (through the cellophane I might add) and tastes like a liqueur too. Strike one. The mix of dried apricots, dried goji berries and cajun seeds is just too earthy to be tasty, and the apricots taste fusty. This is just personal taste so not a strike against them.

The seaweed cracker-coated peanuts are nice, with the exception of the green ones which taste like leaves. The honey cashews are lovely, as are the huge chocolate buttons with brazil nuts. I haven't tried the Graze version of Smarties yet but if the chocolate is the same as in the chocolate buttons, I'll love them. I haven't eaten the almonds either but almonds is almonds innit.

5/10 so far. I'll take the next two boxes and if I'm not a little more impressed by them, I'll cancel.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2009 at 16:09
Hmmm, not tempting me either!

Just find a health food shop and buy in bulk. the fresh cut pineapple won't have been helped by the postal strikes 9think there's been some down south recently) *blergh*

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2009 at 13:17
The pineapple was definitely stored in some sort of liquid before it was packed, the smell of alcohol was so strong. I could actually smell it through the cellophane and cardboard box. I'd be better just heading to Holland & Barrett for some things and pick up the dried fruit from those stands they have in train stations with all the fab things. It's really just laziness. It's nice to have things delivered rather than go get it.

-------------

Posted By: Alex
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2009 at 14:38
Originally posted by Darth Disco

The mix of dried apricots, dried goji berries and cajun seeds is just too earthy to be tasty, and the apricots taste fusty. This is just personal taste so not a strike against them.

No, I'm with you there, can't stand that 'earthy' taste

I also can't stomach coriander - why am I the only one who thinks this herb tastes like washing up liquid?   

-------------
http://www.theblueroom.me.uk/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=280 - Big Brother 11

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2009 at 15:07
I know what you mean about coriander. It's the leaf that has that taste although I don't mind it as long as not too much is used. Coriander root has a nice warm flavour but again that can be earthy if you use too much. Carrot and coriander soup is one of my favourites.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2009 at 15:19
Alex you're not the only one who hates coriander, know a few people who hate it. I, on the other hand, LOVE it! gorgeous stuff.

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2009 at 15:30
Originally posted by Laura

Alex you're not the only one who hates coriander, know a few people who hate it. I, on the other hand, LOVE it! gorgeous stuff.

With Darth in that I love carrot and coriander soup (M&S) They have a leek & potato one that would make your eyes water though

I like soup, it's like a proper meal without having do anything

M&S do a spicy one with lentils which is delish as well

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2009 at 15:35
without having to do anything? i make my own soups - mmmm looking forward to my wintry minestrone.

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2009 at 15:56

without having to do anything?

DUH! Noooo! Obviously popping it in the nuke box and stirring it halfway through   

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2009 at 16:01
phew, good to see your cooking skills are being maintained.

(by the way, i still make that mexican lasagne recipe you gave me years ago, for people - never ever a bad review!)

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2009 at 16:07

without having to do anything? i make my own soups - mmmm looking forward to my wintry minestrone.

I love making soup, it's probably my favourite food if there's some really nice cheesy bread to go with it. My mum does this brilliant potato, lentil and ham soup that she taught me how to make years ago - you could stand your spoon up in it.

Has anyone tried the Knorr stock pots yet? I got some chicken and beef ones the other week and I'll never go back to stock cubes (obv proper stock is unbeatable but it's not always possible to use it).

Alex - Mexican lasagne recipe ploise! I need something new to impress people with.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2009 at 16:18

phew, good to see your cooking skills are being maintained.

(by the way, i still make that mexican lasagne recipe you gave me years ago, for people - never ever a bad review!)

I thank you

Aw, really? I've not made it since some serious fiddling to do with it

The recipe's on here Darth, I'll grab it and re print

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2009 at 16:19
there's no fiddling! it's dead easy and gorrrrrrrrrrrgeous.
obviously i add more coriander than recipe states.

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2009 at 16:23
haha!

Alex's Lazyboi Mexican Lasagne

Olive oil
Small onion, finally chopped
2 gloves of garlic, finely chopped
Small red pepper finely chopped
100g/4oz mushrooms, finely chopped
2 tsp ground cumin
1 fresh green chilli, deseeded & finely chopped
Quarter tsp chilli powder
2 cans chopped tomatoes, drained
1tsp dried oregano.
400g kidney beans
200g can sweetcorn
4 tbsps of chopped fresh coriander
Juice of a lime
75g/3oz grated mozzarella, cheddar or any grated cheese you like
1 x 200ml tub creme fraiche or sour cream
1 packet flour tortillas

1. Preheat oven to 200C/390F/Gas6
2.In a large frying pan, gently fry the onion and garlic in a little olive oil for a few minutes (they SAY for a few mins but it always takes me ages to get them soft - ooh) . Add the pepper and mushrooms and continue to cook until soft.
3. Stir in the cumin, fresh chilli and chilli powder and cook for about a min.
4. Add the drained tomatoes and the oregano to the pan and cook on a low heat for about 5 minutes.
5. Stir in kidney beans, sweetcorn, fresh coriander and lime juice. Season to taste, the remove from the heat.
6. Put the sour cream and two thirds of the grated cheese in a bowl and mix well. Now you are ready to start layering the lasagne (the fun bit).
7. Place half of the vegetable mixture at the base of a 4 pint/2 litre lasagne dish and cover with a single layer of tortillas.
8. Spread over half of the sour cream mixture, then cover with another layer of tortillas. Repeat by adding the rest of the vegetables, a layer of tortillas and the remaining sour cream mixture. Finish with a tortilla layer.
9. Sprinkle over the remaining grated cheese, cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil for the last 10 minutes of cooking.
10. Leave to stand for 10 minutes before cutting.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2009 at 17:35
Thank you very much! I'm going to make this on Saturday. Will report back with reactions :woo:

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2009 at 11:31
**update**

The apple strudel thing is rubbish - dried apple rings, dried cranberries and those manky apricots. The chilli seed mix is LOVELY though, some of those then a lovely red grape to cool the tongue. LAHVLEY.

Yet more postal strikes this week so no fresh fruit, probably more almonds instead :(

(wonder how smart these postal workers will be with a P45 in their hands)

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2009 at 22:26
Quick update on the Graze boxes - I've had six of them now and the last three have been proper 10/10 moments. None of the dried fruit is that great but I love all the nuts they keep sending - honey cashews, BBQ cashews, chilli almonds, wasabi peanuts, roasted macadamias etc etc. Not to mention the Korean chilli rice crackers!

I haven't decided whether they're worth £2.99 a box but the stand in Central Station that used to sell this stuff (dunno if it's still there) was quite pricey anyway.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2009 at 08:29
you can get it all in decent supermarkets - buy in bulk and then you get the savings

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2009 at 13:24
That's true, but I live in the east end of Glasgow - it's oven chips and crispy pancakes all the way! I have to go to Shettleston Tesco to find so much as a BAY LEAF. I could traipse up the west end, there are some amazing shops there but I'll have to factor in the taxi fare when it comes to working out the savings - I only get the bus coming back from place (late for everything you see).

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2009 at 14:49
didn't know they still made crispy pancakes!

with all that dried stuff though, when you DO go to a decent supermarket, then buy big bags of them and they keep for aeons

Print Page | Close Window