Print Page | Close Window

Which Play Would You Like To See?

Printed From: The Blue Room
Category: Celebritain.com Entertainment Forum
Forum Name: The Theatre & Music Room
Forum Discription: From the radio to the stage
URL: http://www.theblueroom.me.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23539
Printed Date: 19 Oct 2017 at 08:33

Topic: Which Play Would You Like To See?
Posted By: Catwoman
Subject: Which Play Would You Like To See?
Date Posted: 31 May 2009 at 21:58
I was wandering what play/musical which people wanted to see?

I would love to see Phantom of the Opera, Cats, Wicked and Les Miserables. 

Replies:
Posted By: MargiABC
Date Posted: 01 June 2009 at 10:00
I would like to see Wicked. That has been playing in Melbourne and hasn't been to Sydney yet. I've seen the others you have mentioned as professional productions. We have a local amateur theatre group and they have put on Cats, Les Miserable, Guys and Dolls and Calamity Jane and I have seen their versions too.

However, my next wish would be to see them on Broadway one day.

Can you tell I like musicals?

I am not big on dramas though. I did see some Shakespearean pieces when I was in high school, like Hamlet and Julius Caesar.

Posted By: Jonnyboy
Date Posted: 01 June 2009 at 10:41
hmmm long list

Wicked, Sister Act, Dirty Dancing, Lion King, la cage aux folles there are loads

-------------

Posted By: Laura
Date Posted: 01 June 2009 at 11:10
Really want to see Wicked.

Seeing Priscilla in July, that will have to do for now! And I'd be very happy to see Les Mis again (even Susan Boyle can't ruin it for me)

I'd be interested to see Jude Law as Hamlet too.

Date Posted: 01 June 2009 at 11:45
pracilla is another I really want to go and see.

I wuld go and see Phantom/Les Mis again and again, also wish they would bring back Miss Saigon.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 June 2009 at 12:40
loved Miss Saigon

Date Posted: 01 June 2009 at 14:23
I never saw Miss Saigon. It was on last year in Sydney and I didn't get a chance to see it.
I did see Lion King and Beauty and the Beast a few years ago (Hugh Jackman played Gaston, before he was really well known).

What about the Boy from Oz? If it went to the West End, would you see it? I loved it with Hugh Jackman and saw the original with Todd McKenney. I would love to see this one again.

What's the name of the musical where its performed on roller skates and I think they were supposed to be trains? I wouldn't mind seeing that again. Last time I saw it - about 20 years ago, the whole experience was ruined because it was done under a giant marquee and it rained and of course the marquee leaked and they had to cancel the performance halfway through because it was too dangerous.

Date Posted: 01 June 2009 at 18:18
Is Susan Boyle doing Les Miserables?

Star Light Express Margi?

-------------

Date Posted: 03 June 2009 at 17:48
Thanks Catwoman

Date Posted: 26 July 2009 at 02:36
Mary Poppins is coming to Australia early next year, but its going to open in Melbourne first, so I'll have to wait at least 18 months before it gets to Sydney. A long wait.

Posted By: BuddyB
Date Posted: 26 July 2009 at 13:14
Wicked , Billy Elliot, Hairspray, Sister Act and Chicago - Clapand anything I've seen before except Chess!

-------------
I'm surrounded by numpties...please rescue me!

Posted By: James
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2009 at 17:32
I would love to see Sister Act and 9 to 5: The Musical. I love both films although when it comes to Hairspray, I prefer the original.

-------------

Posted By: vicki
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2009 at 12:53
my mum is going to see Sister Act at the London Palladium on Saturday, it is all paid for by where she works, their treat lol as the daughter of one of the doctor's where she works is in it, she is a dancer, thinks she plays a nun? they get travel, tickets and a meal all paid for, will let everyone know what she thinks of it, it is supposed to be good....

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2009 at 13:29
Off to see Momma Mia this weekend

-------------

Posted By: vicki
Date Posted: 23 Aug 2009 at 23:33
Hope that you really enjoyed Mamma Mia Jonny, we saw it not long after it opened in the west End, must of been in about 2000, loved it , it was brilliant and one of our top musicals we have seen of them all

my mum really enjioyed Sister Act, she said it was a bit slow to get into it and get started, and also , they use none of the songs from the film in it, they sing all new/different songs and it was quite different from the film, but she said Sheila Hancock was outstanding and fantastic, everyone was up dancing in the aisles at the end and really enjoyed it, only thing was they had sold completely out of programmes, so they were not able to get one which was a bit of a shame, also ,Whoopi goldberg makes a vocieover announcement at the beginnig which she said was funny

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2009 at 09:12
Mama Mia was amazing, a really good feel good show, I had a blokes head in front of my view all the way through which was a shame as I couldn't see the center of the stage without tilting my head to the side. But fab anyway

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 16:22
Never seen Mamma Mia, glad you enjoyed it JOn.

I want to go see 'Red' at the Donmar Warehouse as it's about one of my favourite artists Mark Rothko. He killed himself so i'm sure it will be a happy chipper affair [ ;)]

Other than that I'm delighted that Les Mis is coming to Manchester early next year and am rounding up my friends to go see it i LOVE it!

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 16:28
Les Mis is amazing, one of my all time favourites, though I tend to flood anyone sitting near me. 

-------------

Posted By: Alex
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 16:31
Originally posted by Jonnyboy

....though I tend to flood anyone sitting near me. 

But it needn't be like that

-------------
http://www.theblueroom.me.uk/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=280 - Big Brother 11

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 16:32
with added odour control, nice. 

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 16:39
lovely!

i saw it when i was about 15 and was in floods within minutes.

oddly enough, susan boyle's 'performances' had a similar effect

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 16:47
I can't even think about "A little fall of rain" without welling up. 

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 16:50
Last thing I saw was Oliver with Rowan's last performance. The tic prices are a bloody outrage £75!

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 16:52
Saw Priscilla and it was ultimately disappointing, but a good time was had by all as it was my friend's hen do and everyone else loved it.

SO expensive to go to theatre...

Posted By: millie
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 16:54
i'm planning on  seeing bloodbrothers in a couple of months, have seen it before and thought it was great,want to see it again

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 17:04
Oh Laura, was it not good, I was hoping to go and see that next.

Mama mia, had to scour the internet for tickets got 3 in the stalls at £75 each, worth every penny though.

Love blood brothers, again I bawl my way through the entire show.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 17:12
Originally posted by millie

i'm planning on  seeing bloodbrothers in a couple of months, have seen it before and thought it was great,want to see it again

I've seen it a good few times (mainly because you can ALWAYS get the tix dirt cheap), the end bit where they're holding hands and the Don't Tell Me It's not True song may bring a certain wetness to my eye

As for the extortionate ticket prices, I'd expect a small walk on part for £75!

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 17:13
Poor fishy J-Town :(

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 17:33

Oh Laura, was it not good, I was hoping to go and see that next.

for a singalong fun show with mates it's fine. Jason Donovan is very average, his voice doesn't stand up to the test, for me. The other two leads were really good though. There are some funny lines (you'll never look at a ginger nut the same...) and fab costumes and some excellent staging and routines. But as a classic west end show, it's just not up there.

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 17:44
how does it compare to the film? Lots they wouldn't be able to do, like the ping pong wife etc

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 19:34
oh they do the ping poing wife!!

to be honest i saw the film when it came out so can't remember much. it's not a show for kids, but some were present.

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 22:08
I've never seen Blood Brothers but we did do a scene from it in my drama class. I thought it was going to be for the end of term show and was cock-a-hoop because I loved what we did but it was never mentioned after that day. We ended up doing a shortened version of an Italian thing called Blood Wedding (I was the groom first and only time in my LIFE)

Anyway, I never followed up on it. So is there a film version and is it any good?

-------------

Posted By: millie
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 22:17
Originally posted by Darth Disco

I've never seen Blood Brothers but we did do a scene from it in my drama class. I thought it was going to be for the end of term show and was cock-a-hoop because I loved what we did but it was never mentioned after that day. We ended up doing a shortened version of an Italian thing called Blood Wedding (I was the groom first and only time in my LIFE)

Anyway, I never followed up on it. So is there a film version and is it any good?
not sure wether there is a film version,i've only seen the play..i loved it and deffo want to see it again

Date Posted: 03 Sep 2009 at 10:33
No film version Darth

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Sep 2009 at 17:01
Originally posted by Laura

Saw Priscilla and it was ultimately disappointing, but a good time was had by all as it was my friend's hen do and everyone else loved it.

SO expensive to go to theatre...

Its a shame it wasn't up to expectations. I loved it when I saw it here, but probably because of the Aussie theme and how we related to some of the jokes etc. I have never seen Jason Donovan perform in a musical, so I can't relate to him in that show.

I am going to see Wicked later this year and am looking forward to it. Also have tickets to see Andrei Rieu in October.

Date Posted: 03 Sep 2009 at 17:52

No film version Darth

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 23:04
West Side Story is coming to Sydney next year - I want to see it. I can't remember seeing it performed here in the last 20 years or so. I have seen the movie.

Posted By: PintOfPartridge
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 12:44
This is going to sound like a really silly suggestion, but I'd love to see Rent the Musical (again) but with John Partridge playing Rodger. I think he suits the part perfectly but unfortuntely, he finished that role around 7 years ago, and in Germany! Doesn't look like it's going to happen. :( 

-------------
Love the JP!

Date Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 21:33
I am going to see Les Miserables in August I am so excited.

-------------

Posted By: Eviesmum
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 08:14
I saw Les Mis in March and its brilliant Catwoman.  The lead guy John Valjohn (John Owen Jones) is amazing.  I bawled like a baby, its so so good and is my No 1 show I've seen.

I saw the 39 Steps last week and it was a lot of fun.  Very well done.  I really enjoyed it.

Also booked to see Calendar Girls in July (as well as the Hobbit and Snow White on Ice).  Lots of good stuff in Norwich this year.

I love going to the theatre Big%20smile but agree its very expensive Confused

A couple of years ago I saw Starlight Express and that was brilliant.

I'd love to see Mamma Mia and Blood Brothers also, but I know I'd cry at that.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 July 2010 at 16:28
I am hoping to see Mary Poppins in Melbourne in September. I am flying to Melbourne for a week's holiday in the next school break.

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 02:41
Driving Miss Daisy is coming to Australia next year. I want to see it, but have to work out the logistics. It has a limited run in Brisbane only which means return flights and a hotel stay in Brisbane. We don't often have famous over seas actors starring in plays in Australia, but Angela Lansbury and James Earl Jones star in it.

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2012 at 15:05
Driving Miss Daisy is coming to Sydney, so I don't have to worry about the logistics of booking for the Brisbane season. I'll have to keep an eye out for ticket sales, as they will probably go quickly.

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2012 at 17:31
Now that I have retired and not restricted by time, I have got tickets to see Legally Blonde for Dec, a Dr Who symphony concert with the actress who plays River Song and the actor who plays Rory's dad coming over for it. I'm seeing War Horse next year and we did book our tickets for Driving Miss Daisy with Angela Lansbuey and Jamed Earl Jones starring in it. We are also looking at getting tickets for Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Sydney is having a theatrical boom at the moment.

Print Page | Close Window