Forum Name: The Theatre & Music Room
Forum Discription: From the radio to the stage
URL: http://www.theblueroom.me.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23214
Printed Date: 14 Dec 2017 at 04:29

Topic: Priscilla Queen of the Desert
Posted By: MargiABC
Subject: Priscilla Queen of the Desert
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2009 at 12:30
I just read that Priscilla Queen of the Desert (I nearly typed in dessert) has started in the West End with Jason Donovan as its star.
Its based on the movie of the same name,and the songs, costumes and staging are fantastic.

I saw this 2 years ago in Sydney. If anyone in the BR is planning to see it, let me know what you think of it. I just think it is wonderful that an Aussie based musical has made it to the West End!!!

Replies:
Posted By: didleyboo
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2009 at 17:01
Saw the film years ago and loved it. I can imagine it will transfer to stage very well. I will def keep my eyes open and keep dropping hints to hubby lol x

-------------

Posted By: Jonnyboy
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2009 at 13:25
I'm going to go and see this ASAP, loved the film and can't wait to see how it translates to the stage... how on earth will they do the van/shoe/streaming chiffon scene? Oh and the "ping pong" I your wife!! parts will be fun to see. 

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2009 at 14:04
You will love it Jonnyboy. I won't spoil it for you (I am presuming they will be staging it the same way they did here). Its just one of those feel good musicals.

Posted By: James
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 00:14
I'm supposed to be going to London sometime soon and definitely want to see this. 

-------------

Posted By: Laura
Date Posted: 09 Apr 2009 at 13:03
I'm going to see it in July! Hen weekend trip, and I can't wait - perfect show for a hen do i'm sure

Date Posted: 08 July 2009 at 09:01
going this weekend, should be greast fun, really looking forward to it!

Posted By: PintOfPartridge
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 12:46
Jon Tsouras is amazing in PQOTD

-------------
Love the JP!

Posted By: SkaterFan
Date Posted: 15 May 2010 at 21:54
Really want to go and see this show soon, have also heard its meant to be heading to Canada and even Broadway next year.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 May 2010 at 16:44
Wow, great to hear its going to Broadway and Canada. I hope the Americans don't Americanise it too much. I would hate it to lose its Aussie flavour as this is what makes it.

When talk of the Boy from Oz was going to Broadway a few years back, they originally didn't want to cast an Aussie in the lead role, but thank heavens for Hugh Jackman. They did Americanise it though and changed some of the show. When Hugh Jackman performed it in Australia after the Broadway season, it returned to its original format.
Who knows, he could even be in Priscilla!!!

Date Posted: 18 May 2010 at 10:55
Realised I never posted about this! I went for my friend's hen weekend last July.

Jason Donovan was very disappointing vocally (but then I knew he's no great shakes!). However it's a really good fun musical, definitely a gang-of-girls type thing. I've seen a lot better, but the costumes were fab and the older guy was excellent (i believe he's the 'original' from Oz version) and the younger guy was good but kept using the wrong character name for one of them.

Posted By: SkaterFan
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 00:49
Originally posted by PintOfPartridge

Jon Tsouras is amazing in PQOTD
Saw Jon play Felicia/Adam last year and he was fantastic, been meaning to go back and see the show again so I can see Ray Meagher before he leaves, hoping to go just before cast change over next month.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 June 2011 at 02:15
Tony Sheldon who played the Bernadette in the Australian, West End and now currently in the Broadway production of PQOTD has been nomonated for a Tony Award.

Tony, 3rd from right, going to the nominees luncheon.

Lizzie Gardiner and Tim Chappell the costume designers have also been nominated. They won an Oscar for the costume design for the movie of PQOTD 16 years ago.

We will find out today if they have won.

Date Posted: 13 June 2011 at 02:35
I just checked the official Tony Award web site. Lizzie Gardiner and Tim Chappell have won for best costume design. Unfortunately Tony Sheldon missed out.
I am really proud and excited that Australians were nominated in 2 categories and 1 has won.

http://www.tonyawards.com/en_US/interactive/video/index.html?category=acceptancespeeches - Acceptance speech best costumes in a musical

Posted By: Jonnyboy
Date Posted: 14 June 2011 at 13:56
Went to see this last night, a great night out. I'm going back again in August for a friends hen do, so that will be trebble the fun

-------------

Posted By: Bren
Date Posted: 22 June 2011 at 18:49
have a friend in this production Jon

Ian Oswald

Date Posted: 21 July 2012 at 16:13
One of our TV networks is starting a new reality series to look for an outstanding male performer who can act, sing and dance. The contestants have to perform a series of challenges. The twist is it is being done in the mode of "Priscilla Queen of the Desert". They have only shown the promos for it so far. There is a Priscilla bus and it appears that the contestants do have do dress in drag and perform in country towns in Australia. Jason Donovan and Hugh Sheridan (do you get "Packed to the Rafters" in the UK?) are the hosts. Guest judges appear and include Toni Collette and Rachelle Griffiths.
I am looking forward to seeing this.

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2012 at 17:39
This show started tonight. A correction - Jason Donovan is a judge not a co host. The other judge is Stephan Elliot who wrote the screen play and musical. Each week a female guest judge will appear such as Magda Subanski, Toni Collette, Rachel Taylor, Rachel Griffiths, Natalie Imbruglia and Paula Abdul.

The aim is to find an Australian male triple threat - someone who can sing, dance and act. The show starts off with the final 12 who will follow the road map ion the movie and leave Sydney from the pub used in the movie to the same outback locations used. The bus of course is Priscilla. The prize is A$250,000 and a chance to perform in a broadway musical. The original prize was to perform in the Broadway production of Priscilla Queen of the Desert, but there was a slight hitch - the show closed on Broadway in June.
They have already performed in drag once. Most of them have never done this before and had to do their own makeup and find a suitable outfit from the range supplied in 1 hour. The makeup was woeful. One of the contestants had performed in the Australian production of Priscilla. I think he had the best makeup. The majority of the contestants have worked on stage before. The best known contestant is Nathan Foley who was in High 5, a children's TV program. Jason Donovan said of his performance "He's a bit like Vegemite - you either like it or hate it".

The promo for tomorrow shows them in drag again, but it looks like they have had some lessons in applying their makeup.

This is the website if you are interested in taking a look.

http://iwillsurvivetv.com.au - I Will Survive

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2012 at 01:59
They don't perform in drag through the whole show. Its usually done as an ensemble performance for a specific audience. In the first episode it was for their families and the routine was to "Go West", which they had workshopped a few weeks prior to the show being filmed when they were eliminating contenstants to get the final 12. That wasn't aired except as a reference.
Tonight they peform in drag at a football game.

Each episode they also do solo performances so the judges can evaluate them on their ensemble and solo performances. The bottom 3 then have to battle it out to avoid elimination. They are told that for one of them, the bus stops here.

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 10:45
The makeup was fantastic - they had professional makeup artists work on them, a top choreographer and vocal coach help them with a cheer leader routine to "Girls Just Want to Have Fun". The male designer who won an Oscar for the movie designed their cheer leader outfits.

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 00:23
This week they were at the mining town of Cobar. 12 have now become 11 as one of them was eliminated and left in Dubbo. This week they had to give a solo rock performance to determine the bottom 3. Those 3 become the main performers in the drag performance so the judges determine who will not continue onto the next town.
Tim Chappell, the Oscar winning designer for the movie designs all the costumes for the show. He is just so creative. Since miners wear fluoro jackets and safety vests, his costumes featured those colours. They all had fluoro orange long wigs under semi hard hats and fluoro yellow outfits. The chorus had mini shorts on. Tim described their look as a cross between Ronald McDonald and Dianna Ross. They performed in front of the towns people at the copper mine. Unfortunately 11 have become 10.
Out of the 12 performers, several have had professional stage and / or TV experience. One of them, between gigs is actually a miner in Western Australia. He is the one that was in the Australian production of Priscilla QOTD.
Another understudied the Phantom in the Australian production of Love Never Dies. Another was one of the lead singers in Jersey Boys here.
One of the classic off the cuff remarks when they had completed their routine and changing was "I want to get out of this costume but I don't know where to start. I'm busting to go to the toilet"

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 05:23
These are some of the costumes from the show.

The first photo shows the boys wearing costumes from the actual musical making a first impression on Cobar. They had to get off the bus in costume. The second shows the miner costumes.

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 05:56
I like this photo

Date Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 03:20
In case you can't access the videos on the website, here are some YouTube links.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls5t7mDcvUs - Sneak peak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCk_1DQxVSo - I Will Survive - Performance in Cobar

I really love this show. I can't wait for this week's performance when they hit Broken Hill.

Date Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 14:18
They hit Broken Hill on tonight's episode. Broken Hill and the Palace Hotel is where most of the movie was shot. Stephan Elliot the writer of the movie said that when Hugo Weaving and Guy Pearce walked down the main street of Broken Hill in drag for the movie, the stares and expressions from the locals in the movie were real - no acting there.
Tomorrow night the boys have to do the same and walk into the pub.

Of course the hotel has signs up saying that this is where PQOTD was filmed.

I really hope this show is screened in the UK at some stage. Priscilla fans will love it.

Date Posted: 05 Sep 2012 at 15:53
Tonight's episode was my favourite so far. Broken Hill was the centre of the movie and true to form, the performers had to walk 100 metres from the bus to the local pub dressed in drag as per the movie and try to win over the locals at the bar.
One of the performers - Brendon (the one in the photo with his son) was born in Broken Hill But lives in Perth. Some of his relatives still live in Broken Hill and a couple of them were drinking in the pub. so he had to meet them in character.
The show stopper to determine who would be eliminated was to "I Like the Night Life". It was fantastic.
Brendon's wife and 2 sons flew over and were there to support him.

Posted By: jamesfly
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 06:51
Saw the film many time.its a good film to see and enjoy.

-------------
james anderson

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 14:44
This week the boys were in a town called Port Augusta in South Australia.

To let the town know they had arrived, they did a routine to 'Its Raining Men"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gNjjbLv1MA - "Its Raining Men" in Port Augusta

In last night's episode, Toni Collette ("Muriel's Wedding', "The Unites States of Tara") was the guest judge.
To determine the bottom 3, the boys were set a challenge to develop a character and do a monologue, then segway, in character into a song.
That was an interesting exercise. There was a mixture of dramatic, light hearted and comedic pieces.

In tonight's episode, they did a nautical costume themed piece to "Venus". The twist was that the boys were given a challenge to make their own costumes (the designer fibbed and said the costumes didn't arrive). They went to op shops and shops similar to Poundland to buy clothing that could be converted to costumes and decorations. Who new that a net bath sponge could be used to represent seeweed. Luckily for the boys, the designer had lined up these ladies who all brought in their sewing machines and did the actual sewing.

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 14:56
I found a better picture of the boys in their Australiana costumes

The costumes represent (from left to right)

Red waratah - state flower of NSW
Sulphur crested cockatoo
Uluru - large rock formation in the Northern Territory
Koala
Wattle - green and gold plant
Flannel flower - white native flower
Rosella - bird
Bottle brush - red flower
Echidna - monotreme (mammal that lays eggs)
Sydney Harbour with the Sydney Opera House and Sydney Harbour Bridge
Emu - large flightless bird

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW1Dwbgur2g&feature=related - Making their entrance in Cobar

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 16:02
Week 3 Broken Hill performances

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnROn1yp4xg&feature=relmfu - Tribute to Tina Turner .
Mad Max was filmed in Broken Hill and Tina Turner was in one of the Mad Max films, so they did a video clip as a tribute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg93yn6ysOE - I Love the Night Life

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2012 at 02:29
This week the boys were in a town called Port Augusta in South Australia.

To let the town know they had arrived, they did a routine to 'Its Raining Men"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gNjjbLv1MA - "Its Raining Men" in Port Augusta

In last night's episode, Toni Collette ("Muriel's Wedding', "The Unites States of Tara") was the guest judge.
To determine the bottom 3, the boys were set a challenge to develop a character and do a monologue, then segway, in character into a song.
That was an interesting exercise. There was a mixture of dramatic, light hearted and comedic pieces.

In tonight's episode, they did a nautical costume themed piece to "Venus". The twist was that the boys were given a challenge to make their own costumes (the designer fibbed and said the costumes didn't arrive). They went to op shops and shops similar to Poundland to buy clothing that could be converted to costumes and decorations. Who knew that a net bath sponge could be unravelled and used to represent seaweed. Luckily for the boys, the designer had lined up some local ladies who all brought in their sewing machines and did the actual sewing. The boys helped where they could, sticking on decorations etc. The costumes looked good for an impromptu sewing session.

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 04:36
The performers were given their wigs, so they knew what their characters were to look like. The costumes looked great with the wigs and full makeup.

the fish tail wig is a work of art.
The blue 2 piece started out as a blue leotard from an op shop. The pirates shorts started out as a pair of purple trousers, cut down to shorts.

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 04:43
Their performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VStiFJQn9s - Venus

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 11:39
In tonight's episode, Stefan, the director of PQOTD, told the remaining contestants that
1. The Oscar winning costumes were made on a shoe string budget of $5000
2. The role of the character played by Guy Pearce originally went to Jason Donovan, but at the last minute he turned it down.

Tonight, the costumes were 3 tier wedding cakes as they were performing at a 54th wedding anniversary celebration in a town called Coober Pedy.

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 05:52
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY0x7zXBVB0 - Don't Leave Me This Way

From the video you can see there are only 8 contestants left in that performance, with one left behind in Coober Pedy. Someone else will go tonight. The performance was filmed at the Greek Club in Coober Pedy. The couple they perform to are celebrating their 54th wedding anniversary.

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2012 at 04:42
The group performed in a settlement called Hermmanburg. It has a large Aboriginal community. At the school they encourage and speak the local Aboriginal language.

The seven remaining performers had to sing a love song duet with a female singer. The singers were from a special program to encourage indigeneous talent called the Desert Divas program. the guest judge this week was Kelly Rowlands.
The bottom 3 were selected, and as always, the bottom 3 sing and perform the main lyrics of the chosen song with those safe as the chorus.

They sang to Cymdi Lauper's True Colours, done in a beatifully haunting way. The costumes reflected and payed homage to the desert outback colours.

There are 6 left, all with a lot of professional live theatre performance excperience, so it will be harder from now on to determine who will be in the bottom 3 and elimination.

There next stop is Alice Springs

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 07:46
This is the first performance from episode 1 - Go West. Its the first drag performance where the performers had to do their own makeup and work out their costumes from the ones supplied. The performance is great, their makeup without professional help was not. They performed in front of their families and friends before they set off in Priscilla.
In subsequent performances they wore body suits to hide the hairy armpits and any tattoos and had professional makeup artists help them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fxieh6rnKSk&feature=relmfu - First perfomance - Go West

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 16:41
Episode 2 performance - the guys did a cheerlesader routine to Girls Just Want to Have Fun. It lead to the first elimination.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=r97UOpzQGPM - Girls just Want to Have Fun

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 03:01
They hit Alice Springs in last night's episode, with Priscilla racing against the Ghan, a train that travels from Adelaide to Darwin.
One of my favourites was eliminated last night. The remaining 5 have packed their bags and the Priscilla part of the journey is over. They're heading off to Los Angeles for the next part of the competition. I think that means there will be no more performances in drag.

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2012 at 12:06
The 5 remaining contestants were in Los Angeles for this week's episode. In Venice Beach they learned how to do street dancing. As part of the competition they had to do a solo singing performance each and the bottom 2 had to do a sing off in a recording studio. Its getting more emotional as it gets down to the final 4. The one that went home had been in a lesd role in Jersey boys in Australia for 3 years.
Next week they are in Las Vegas and have to perform with the Chippendales. That should be interesting.

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 15:51
The 4 remaining boys did their Australiana costumed performance outdoors in Las Vegas to 'Viva Las Vegas'. Of course the Americans did not know what flora and fauna the costumes represented. Rohan, whose costume has always been the native bottle brush had been asked if he was a bee or a strawberry.
All four contestants performed with the Chippendales in an ensemble performance. They were not told they would be performing with the Chippendales until an hour before they arrived at the venue. Their initiation prior to the rehearsals was to tear a singlet they were given to wear. The bottom 2 had to perform solo acts snd they did strip as part of the act.
My favourite of the remaining 4, Rohan will not be going onto Broadway. He disclosed that he went into the mining industry because he had lost confidence as a performer, even though he had been in the industry for over 20 years. Being in the series of 'I will Survive', showed he was braver than he thought having to perform outside of his comfort zone.

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 16:13
Australiana costumed performance in Las Vegas

The solo perfomances of the bottom 2 at the club where the Chippendales perform.

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 15:26
This is a Youtube video of the boys in Broken Hill getting a drag tutorial from gender illusionist Courtney Act (AKA Shane Jenek). Once the boys had developed their drag persona, they were told they would go into town to a pub dressed in drag, just like in the movie PQOFTD.

This video is from earlier in the series, so its out of order as there are more of the boys involved in this segment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqMv5sbfxdg&feature=related - tutorial

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 02:56
Last night was the last episode with the final 3 performing in the outfits with the big shoes and big head dresses from the movie / live show. One was eliminated and the final 2 had 24 hours to develop a piece that lasted 4 minutes. The piece they performed had to show their journey and use acting, singing and dancing. There were a lot of tears as 3 became 2 and the final 2 being stressed and exhausted (they worked virtually non-stop through the 24 hours).

The winner was announced and he won A$250,000, a month's accommodation in New York and representation in the USA.

Here is a photo of all the contestants at the start of the journey, posing inside Priscilla. The front had regular coach seats and the back converted for wardrobe and makeup.

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 05:13
This Youtube video was only put up recently. It is the 'flashmob' performance in Alice Springs (there are only 6 performers left in Alice Springs). The train is the Ghan. It travels between Adelaide and Darwin, stopping at Alice Springs. "Originally the Afghan Express, the name The Ghan was inspired by the pioneering Afghan cameleers who blazed a permanent trail into the Red Centre of Australia over 150 years ago."   
http://www.greatsouthernrail.com.au/site/the_ghan/history.jsp - Source - Great Southern Railways

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKjD-acn_VY - Performance to "Locomotion"

Print Page | Close Window