Print Page | Close Window

Fat Birds Club

Printed From: The Blue Room
Category: Other Goodies
Forum Name: Food and Drink
Forum Discription: Eating in, eating out, and the best tipple to go with it.
URL: http://www.theblueroom.me.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=22845
Printed Date: 13 Dec 2017 at 20:53

Topic: Fat Birds Club
Posted By: Guests
Subject: Fat Birds Club
Date Posted: 29 Dec 2008 at 19:55
Right I'm sorting this thread for all those who are "attempting" to shed a few pounds in the New Year.

No "stick insects" allowed

I also think I'm gonna join the gym. I hate every minute but I suppose it's good for you !

Replies:
Posted By: madaboutdan
Date Posted: 29 Dec 2008 at 19:58
i like the way you said "attempting" LOL its definitely easier said than done!

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2008 at 20:05
I'm joining!!

Posted By: Catwoman
Date Posted: 29 Dec 2008 at 20:23
So am I.

My New Years Resolution is to cycle more and walk more.  I want to lose 3 stone

Great name by the way

-------------

Posted By: Sammy
Date Posted: 29 Dec 2008 at 20:25
I'm in, but sooooooooooooo crap at dieting!

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2008 at 20:30
We will stick together Sammy

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2008 at 13:39
Sounds like a plan!  Nice one Tilly, though personally I have rather more than "a few pounds" to lose.  Unhappy

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2008 at 14:19
Back to the gym today after nearly a month off and it was a killer!

Some 'thoughtful' sod has given me the Dancing On Ice Dancercise DVD by Kristina and Maria for a Christmas pressie. That's another one to sit on the sofa watching with a bottle of wine and a big bar of chocolate then! It says '...incorporating all the moves the professionals use to get their celebrity ice-partners in tip top condition' - they'd have their work cut out with me! LOL Oh, and there's behind the scenes stuff so I'll take a look at that and let you know!!

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2008 at 14:50
Errrrm, I'll give this DVD a miss! You have to be fit, supple and well co-ordinated and that's just to do the warm up. Why can't they find 'real' people to do these exercise dvds instead of people who are already dead fit?

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2008 at 16:14
I have been sort of good today.  Mum made me eat some horrid so I gave her the rest.  I have been on a walk well shopping but once I am back at Uni Breeze (the bike) will be out of the shed and we will go riding.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2008 at 17:05
Well I made a start today. I phoned the gym about joining but there was no reply. After that I sat back down in my chair and rested

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2008 at 17:23
I hate gyms, and have various joint / back problems that limit the types of exercise I can do anyway - though other experts have suggested that exercise would help to improve these issues in the long term.  I wish the docs / physios would be consistent with their advice.  Ermm

Best plan is swimming since there's no pressure on the joints or back, but I loathe going to the pool too (various comments and "jokes" about water displacement / beached whales over the years do that to you).

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2008 at 17:28
I dislike swimming, all I do when I'm the baths is wonder about the number of people who have pee'd in it.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2008 at 17:48
Eeeew Tilly!!!!!

Trust you to come up with something like that.  Roll%20Eyes  LOL   (good point though.)

I seriously need to do something serious about losing weight this year, as the joint/back problems are only going to get worse if I don't.  It's just so difficult for me - I have a self-destruct button when it comes to weight issues; not so much an addiction to food as an addiction to eating, if that makes any sense?  The doc suggested weight-loss counselling / mental health therapy back in the summer, and I'm thinking now that may be a good idea.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2008 at 17:56
Have you considered ice skating Pez, it does wonders for the bum

-------------

Posted By: madaboutdan
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2008 at 18:15

i need to do more horseriding this year as helps with the bum, tum and core muscles, need to find a horse strong enough to hold me first - perhaps a shire horse....... LOL how i wish i could eat whatever i like and not put on any weight! 

Posted By: ajkb7926
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2008 at 20:31
i need to loose weight.

yet i do skating and gym floor work etc and can never shed any weight.

i do at least 3 hours a week at the rink, but i have scouts two days a week and find it hard to fit anymore in with doing gym work at home.

-------------

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2008 at 20:58
well i made a good start..not. found sticky toffee pudding in cupboard so thought as im sat home alone (well kids in bed)on new years eve might as well polish it off, least theres less to eat come next week, think i'll start then

-------------

Posted By: skating Queen
Date Posted: 01 Jan 2009 at 10:58
Originally posted by Strawberry Pez

Eeeew Tilly!!!!!

Trust you to come up with something like that.  Roll%20Eyes  LOL   (good point though.)

I seriously need to do something serious about losing weight this year, as the joint/back problems are only going to get worse if I don't.  It's just so difficult for me - I have a self-destruct button when it comes to weight issues; not so much an addiction to food as an addiction to eating, if that makes any sense?  The doc suggested weight-loss counselling / mental health therapy back in the summer, and I'm thinking now that may be a good idea.

Wow I thought I had wrote this, it sounds just like me!

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Jan 2009 at 19:49
I have been good today only had three mini chocs things.  I didn't have a pudding either.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2009 at 14:25
Right - first recipe - Cajun Tuna Steaks

Sprinkle cajun spice mix onto tuna steak
Heat a pan with some of that low fat oil and cook tuna both sides for a few mins. Remove from the pan and keep warm.
Add a little white wine (not even a glass full) and simmer gently for a couple of mins.
Add some low fat creme fraiche to the pan, stir to make a sauce then pour over tuna.

Serve with salad or veg. You can use chicken fillets instead of tuna

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2009 at 14:31
Hmmmmmmmn .....

I'm going for the healthy eating approach this year and hoping that a few pounds drop off on the way! My mother-in-law, who is approaching 70, looks amazing for her age - easily 20 years younger. She attributes this to a healthy diet (i.e. never eats chocolate/crisps/cakes ... all the stuff we love!) and says she doesn't want to end up like old people around her with their health problems and zimmer frames. She has a point .... so I'll let you know in 30 years time if it has worked for me.     

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2009 at 16:12
I am going to be  really bad tonight and I think I will order a chinese just for me nod, because I have had a rubbish week Angry

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2009 at 19:33
Well I've had a very dry 2009 so far, not a drop of alcohol has past my lips so far this year. That will all change though on Sunday

-------------

Posted By: *Lisa*
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2009 at 22:09
Bloody hell Tilly, even i've quite a few drinks so far this year. Wink Whats up with you woman?? Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2009 at 22:15

Think she must be saving herself for purvey Sunday nod

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2009 at 22:56
Lisa what are you doing in here LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2009 at 18:30
*Lisa* no stick insects allowed on this thread

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2009 at 18:39
I made a smoothie and had fruit for lunch now I am going to have a Jacket Potatoe with Beans and a little cheese for tea.

-------------

Posted By: *Lisa*
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2009 at 19:30
Originally posted by Tilly5195

*Lisa* no stick insects allowed on this thread

Oops sorry LOL Think I got slightly lost on the way to the Dan forum Whistle

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2009 at 19:32
It's that way Lisa ---------------->>>>>>

-------------

Posted By: James
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2009 at 01:19
Just thought I would say, I'm on a health kick myself right now and all this extra fruit and veg is making me pee like mad with all the water content.

If you can get your hands on a Wii and Wii Fit, get it. It doesn't feel at all like exercise but the sweat will be pishing out of you in no time.

-------------

Posted By: MargiABC
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2009 at 11:37
The Wii is fun - bought one for the family for Christmas. I bought the tennis, golf and baseball bat accessories for Wii Sport to make it feel more authentic. Then I thought do I have enough room to swing the bat etc? Oh well, I haven't hit any furniture yet. I want to get the Wii Fit next, but the shop I went to was out of stock.

I'm trying to be healthier too - I want to drop the 2-3 kg of Christmas excess before I go back to work in a couple of weeks. I do need to lose more than this, but I figure I will aim for the pre-Christmas weight first.

When I go to the shopping mall I am tending not to buy anything fried for lunch anymore, buying sushi instead.

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2009 at 21:16
I've only smashed a lightbulb so far, Margi. I had to call the shop at 9am for the Wii Fit and luckily I was second on the list. When I went round to pick it up the manager had a list of forty names and only five units delivered.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2009 at 21:22
Do you use the Wii as much as you thought you would? We're thinking of getting one + Wii Fit but can't decide if it'd be worth the money.

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2009 at 21:28
I do, not always the Wii Fit because Wii Sports is a load of fun too but if you're on a serious weight loss program it's ideal, especially if you hate exercise. It weighs you and keeps track of what you've completed on the hard drive so every time you use it, it's just a continuation of your previous session. And it really doesn't feel like exercise at all. It also keeps a track of your weight so you can set yourself a target and it'll chart your progress.

-------------

Posted By: skating Queen
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2009 at 21:28
Well worth the money Butterfly, great fun and keeping fit all in one.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2009 at 18:12
Right, after days of trying to phone the gym, I finally got off my fat arse and drove there to join

I've had my pic taken (wasn't expecting that and could have looked better !) and paid for the entire year. I'm just waiting for my pass to come through the post and then I'm off ! This is gonna be the year of "Fit Tilly"

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2009 at 00:10
We have bought Wii Fit and it's great!  I hate gyms (skinny bints in Lycra staring at me like I have no right to try and get fit) and it doesn't feel like you're exercising at all, other than when doing the yoga poses and muscle tone exercises, but I can cope with that in my own living room.  The balance and aerobic games are just great fun.  I'd say get one.  Thumbs%20Up

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2009 at 08:35
We've had a Wii fit for over a year but I've never tried it!! I bought it for the kids but perhaps I should have a look at it myself (if I can work it!)

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2009 at 11:54
Oh, try it Wighty.  It's not that hard to use - I'm useless with game consoles myself too, but can manage that one.  Big%20smile

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2009 at 12:25
I'll get my daughter to teach me how to use t this weekend!

I'm feeling all self righteous now cos I'm just back from my training session at the gym. What I can't understand is, for all the effort I put in, and I've had no alcohol since New Years Day and been very careful about what I'm eating, WHY THE HELL ISN'T THE WEIGHT COMING OFF????!!!

Between the weights we had an interesting discussion about fitness DVD's and how they only ever have fit stick insects in them! Why don't they use 'real' people? You have to be super fit to cope with the warm up in most of them, let alone doing the exercises.

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2009 at 16:00
Originally posted by Tilly5195

and drove there

Shouldn't you be jogging to the gym .....

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2009 at 17:54
Well the year of "Fit Tilly" has got off to a bad start. I'd arranged to go to the gym tonight with my pal who was gonna show me all the machinery. I've just cancelled, I can't be arsed . But I have been ice skating this morning, although I didn't do much, my legs are weak for some reason

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2009 at 11:33
Holy shit, i ate the whole house yesterday! i know its because i didnt eat for 5 days in hospital....but this is ridiculous! Why do i continually check the fridge everytime i go in the kitchen??????? its not as if anything has appeared by magic that wasnt in there 5 mins before! Fat fucker alert!!

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2009 at 13:08
@ Sammy

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2009 at 14:05
Oh I really feel for you Sammy!!!

A friend of mine once had an alarm that she kept in the fridge. It was light sensitive so, every time she opened the door, the alarm would oink like a pig!! Anyone know where you can get one from?? LOL

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2009 at 16:31
Originally posted by Wighty

Oh I really feel for you Sammy!!!

A friend of mine once had an alarm that she kept in the fridge. It was light sensitive so, every time she opened the door, the alarm would oink like a pig!! Anyone know where you can get one from?? LOL

You can still buy the oinking pigs that go in the fridge in those gadget type shops.
I got hubby a Homer Simpson cookie jar for xmas and baisically when you flip Homer's head open it says things to you so everyone in the house knows your at the biscuits.............. I am always moaning at the sheer quantity of biscuits Hubby consumes but since i've been home i seem to be raiding it more than him...........but the difference is i open the cookie jar and then leave it open so he cant hear how many times i'm delving in!

Posted By: killersbee
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2009 at 17:57
Well for me, I think I'm in the middle and...no that's too easy

My figure looks above average

-------------
Catwoman: "For one if I was a bloke, I would not flirt with you two. I have standards."
Toots: "If I had a figure like Ola's, I'd wear that outfit to Sainsburys!"

Date Posted: 09 Apr 2009 at 19:40
So, over a quarter of the way through the year .... how are we doing?

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Apr 2009 at 20:43
I've put on half a stone!!!!!!

Date Posted: 09 Apr 2009 at 20:58
Don't ask. I have been eating cause I am bored that is how bored I am.  I gave up Chocolate, Crisp and Pasta for lent I don't even know if that worked what a joke.  Censored

My friend said my Jeans are loser yeah right whatever I can't see a differenceCry, I am in such a bad mood.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Apr 2009 at 22:39
Here we go. I might have to edit this as I'm rattling it off in work, from memory.

Chunks' low-fat chicken curry:

You will need:

1 large chicken breast per person
1 small tub of plain yoghurt
tandoori masala or similar seasoning
tinned chopped tomatoes, 1 tin per 2 persons
1 large white onion, chopped
2 red onions, chopped
as much garlic as you like, chopped
1 thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger (or larger if you fancy it)
2 chopped green chillis
1 tsp dried fenugreek
1 tsp dried cinammon
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp dried coriander
1 tbsp hot curry powder
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp cumin
a handful of curry leaves
chopped coriander

For the rice:

basmati rice
juice and rind of 1 lemon
juice and rind of 1-2 limes
mustard seeds
1 tbsp cooking oil (your preference)

1. Cube the chicken and marinate in a bowl overnight with the yoghurt and tandoori masala.
2. Next day, thread the chicken onto skewers and cook in the oven on a medium heat til properly cooked. Set aside.
3. Spray a frying pan with some 1-cal oil or a very small amount of regular oil and add the chopped RED onion, garlic and chilli. Fry for a few minutes til soft then transfer to a pot and cover with water to just above the onions. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
4.Put the tomatoes in another pot along with the turmeric and cinammon, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Liquidise the red onions, add to the tomatoes and set aside.
6. Put the WHITE onion in the blender with water up to half the height of the onion and blitz it, then add to the frying pan. It will look like mush but it's supposed to look like that. Keep reducing the mush until it looks more like a paste. Set aside.
7. Add the combined tomatoes and onions to a wok or large pan with 1 tbsp of oil and heat through. Add the white onion paste, heat through, then add the spices, curry leaves and chopped coriander.
8. Taste the curry and add more spices/chilli/whatever until it's how you like it.
9. Add the cooked chicken.

Lemon rice:

1. 2 handfuls of rice per person. You cannot go wrong with this measurement. If you feel like it, add a handful for the pot.
1. Add a little oil to the rice and dry fry on a low heat for a couple of minutes, then add boiling water. Feel free to use a lot of boiling water for the rice to prevent it going starchy.
2. Bring the rice to the boil then simmer for 10 minutes only. Remove from the heat and drain through a colander or sieve. Set aside.
3. Grate the rind from the fruit and squeeze all the juice out.
4. Add the juice to the frying pan, heat up and throw in a handful of mustard seeds.
5. Add the rind.
6. Once the mustard seeds start to pop, remove from the heat and pour the lot over the cooked rice and mix well.
7. Serve with the curry.

This seems like a lot to do but it's really not. If I have the rice and chicken already prepared, the whole thing takes about 45 minutes to an hour but it's well worth it, especially the rice.

Also, don't skip the white onion, it really makes a difference to the texture and flavour. You can also make the basic sauce without spices and freeze it in portions, to use whenever you feel like it.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2009 at 02:23
Originally posted by Butterfly

So, over a quarter of the way through the year .... how are we doing?

I still haven' lost the weight I put on over Christmas. At least I haven't put on any more. I think I like my food too much. I blame it on Friday night at the club /pub.

Darth - your recipe sounds good. We only eat basmati rice at home because it has a lower GI than regular long grain rice. We cook ours in the microwave via absorption method and needs a little more water than long grain rice. Haven't see you refer to yourself as 'Chunks' for a while as in your recipe title.

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2009 at 11:51
Chunks sounded better in the same sentence as chicken Whistle

I much prefer basmati to long grain - it has a nicer texture, cooks more quickly and just looks better in general. Pity it's too soft to fry.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2009 at 13:20
Darth - do you mean fry as in fried rice? I use it to cook fried rice all the time. I use it for fried rice as soon as it comes out of the microwave - no time wasted this way. Recipes from years ago always said to use cold rice, which I find does not work very well with microwaved basmati - when its cold, its hard and dry.

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2009 at 10:40
Well I have eaten too much over my holiday break - last week I was away and ate at restaurants or the hotel for 3 days. This week I have been catching up with friends for lunch every other day.

Print Page | Close Window