Print Page | Close Window

Prawns

Printed From: The Blue Room
Category: Other Goodies
Forum Name: Food and Drink
Forum Discription: Eating in, eating out, and the best tipple to go with it.
URL: http://www.theblueroom.me.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=22544
Printed Date: 20 Oct 2017 at 13:28

Topic: Prawns
Posted By: Catwoman
Subject: Prawns
Date Posted: 28 Oct 2008 at 21:06
I purchased some small frozen fresh water Prawns and I don't know what to do with them well what meals to put them in to and what with thanks.

Replies:
Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 28 Oct 2008 at 21:10
Have they been cooked, i.e. pink instead of grey? Have a look at www.goodfood.co.uk for some ideas. If in doubt, there's always a prawn cocktail or prawn/mayo sarnie.

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2008 at 21:13

Thanks Butterfky, they are cooked.

I made a Rose Marie sauce for lunch with some today I was very impressed with myself

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2008 at 21:56
I've got a huge craving now for a prawn sarnie .....

Posted By: MargiABC
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2008 at 10:34
I use that size prawn in fried rice. This is my recipe for it.

2-3 cups cooked rice
2 tablespoons oil
2 eggs
150 grams diced bacon
3 green shallots (that's what we call them - spring onions elsewhere)
     or 1/2 cup cooked peas if you don't like shallots
150 grams small cooked prawns
soy sauce

1. Beat eggs. Heat a wok or large frying pan. Add some of the oil and cover base of pan with it. Add the egg and swirl pan so the egg forms a thin pancake. When set on the bottom, flip over and cook for a minute. Remove from pan and dice egg.
2. Add rest of oil and cook bacon for 2-3minutes.
3. Add the rice and combine but don't stir with the bacon, until it is hot. NOTE - stirring rice constantly makes it gluggy.
4. Add the diced egg, shallots or peas and prawns. Combine and cook for another 2 minutes. Add enough soy sayce to taste (2 to 4 teaspoons) and combine so rice has an even colour.
5. Serve on its own or use as a side dish or with your favourite Chinese food.

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2008 at 19:26
Lovely recipe Margi.  Prawns are great in asian / oriental dishes.  Ooh... I sense a call being placed to the local chinese takeaway very soon...  

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2008 at 20:27

That sounds lovely Margi thanks I will give it ago I think.

-------------

Posted By: vicki
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2008 at 22:53
If you are still looking for prawn ideas for recipes to try? i found one for a prawn stir fry and a prawn curry, i can post them if you are interested?

-------------

Posted By: BeverlyF
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 19:58
I like to sauteed prawns in a white wine and put them over some pasta and alfredo sauce. I also like to put them in fried rice or a jambalaya. They're also good on the grill  but be careful not to overcook them as they can become dry and chewy. 

-------------
Beverly - what's your favorite brand of kitchen http://www.hhgregg.com - appliances

Print Page | Close Window