Print Page | Close Window

odd food combinations!

Printed From: The Blue Room
Category: Other Goodies
Forum Name: Food and Drink
Forum Discription: Eating in, eating out, and the best tipple to go with it.
URL: http://www.theblueroom.me.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=20886
Printed Date: 16 Dec 2017 at 17:00

Topic: odd food combinations!
Posted By: pinkie_princess
Subject: odd food combinations!
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 21:39
doritos and chocolate sauce!

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: *Lisa*
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 21:44
I have baked beans and HP sauce. My mum thinks thats disgusting. I have HP sauce with Broccoli aswell

-------------

Posted By: Hatshepsut
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 21:44
Okay, I'll mention them again:

* Sherry in Bovril

* Peanut butter and sandwich spread sandwich

* Radishes dipped in honey

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 21:46
Does mayonnaise on roast potatoes count or is it normal? My mother thinks it's disgusting (she of the sherry/bovril abomination), but I love it.

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 21:46

both my stepbrothers have weird food combos - one is what i've already posted and the other one has roast with hp sauce!

-------------

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 21:47
I have ketchup with everything, well except for cereal and a few other things.

One of my friends likes vanilla ice cream with golden syrup and plain hula hoops with tomato ketchup.

-------------

Posted By: Catwoman
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 21:58
I like Cheese and Beans on toast can you tell I am a University student LOL

I like Mayonaise on toast.

How can I forget I also like tinned Spaghetti mixed with eggs.  But I also like Tinned Spaghetti with Salad Cream.

-------------

Posted By: lisa
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 22:49
at all of you

I have none .... I don't think
my other half has mustard with everything.. on his sunday roast and his favourite is cheese and onion sandwich with mustard

-------------

Posted By: k@ty
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 23:28
im rather wied when it comes to food, i have to have ketchup with everything and i mean everything

-------------
live each day to the full, you never know when it might end

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 23:46
You're just like me Katy! I can't stand eating something if it hasn't got ketchup on it. Whenever I like have roast dinners I like nearly smother my food in ketchup so I don't taste it. I'll eat almost anthing if it has ketchup on it. Do you have ketchup sandwiches?

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 23:49
I love meatball and ketchup sandwiches!! And fish finger and ketchup sandwiches!! Lol

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 23:53
I don't eat meatballs cause I'm a vegetarian ( I eat fish but not meat or poultry). Tonight I had a sandwich with just ketchup in it. It tasted sooooooooo good!

Has anyone ever had a chocolate sandwich? I put a bar of chocolate between 2 slices of bread and put it in the microwave for like a minute. It tastes delicious!

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 23:55
yh i do just have ketchup sandwiches they are so nice!

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 23:55
wow I MUST try that!! I love crunchie bars so might have a crunchie sandwich!!

-------------

Posted By: ajkb7926
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2008 at 00:49
I don't think mine is that odd but my parents hate it. Pasta and Salad cream with some ham mixed in.

Cold pasta with tuna and sauce mixed in. (Pre made from shops I mean found in the fridge section)

Oh and I love cold Pizza.

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2008 at 01:07
I love pasta and salad cream too!

Cold pizza tastes soooo good! I like putting ketchup on cold pizza too!

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2008 at 09:55
when I lived at home we wernt allowed ketchup on our sunday lunch my mam would of gone mad

my son has ketchup sandwiches and butter sandwiches

zazza chocolate sandwich   

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2008 at 12:39
I don't eat too many chocolate sandwiches at the moment cause too many makes me feel a bit sick.

I've just had my sunday lunch and as usual, I covered it in ketchup.

-------------

Posted By: MargiABC
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2008 at 13:01
I'm just an offal kind of girl and I love corned tongue and tomato sauce sandwiches (we don't use the term ketchup here). I also like chicken feet cooked in chilli and black bean sauce at yum cha.

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2008 at 13:14
Originally posted by zazza6

I love pasta and salad cream too!

Cold pizza tastes soooo good! I like putting ketchup on cold pizza too!

No surprise with the ketchup there zazza. Nearly called you Zarrah there. As much as you would love to be Zarrah with fred at the moment Wink

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2008 at 14:34
^Haha, yeah, you got that right!

My boyfriend has this really wierd combo. He likes eating a sandwich with jam,marmalade,honey and peanut butter all together. It's gross. Puke

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2008 at 15:01
thats sounds quite nice Zazza just take the honey out then add ketchup then it will be fine lol

-------------

Posted By: Sammy
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2008 at 15:31
peanut butter and sweet corn relish on toast or
peanut butter and saladcream on toast
philedelphia and saladcream on toast
philedelphia and pickled onions on toast or cream crackers

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2008 at 17:06

^^^^yuck I would eat salad cream on toast but with nothing else.

I also HATE when people put butter on bread when there is a sauce with the filling it tastes horrible. Zazza you sure you're boyfriend is from planet earth???

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2008 at 17:22
^ LOL 

My boyfriend will eat almost anything! We both went on the Disneyland Paris school trip and we dared him to eat this really disgusting cream cheese that they had at the hotel's breakfast. In with the cream cheese we mixed in jam, marmalade, sugar, pepper and salt. My boyfriend actually ate it and we were all like ewwwwwwww! I luckily wasn't going out with him at that time.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2008 at 17:27
what lovely people go to you're school.
Didn't he notice?

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2008 at 17:35
Yeah, he knew what was in it but we were paying him to eat it. We made him eat it all. The cream cheese was this horrible lumpy stuff though, it didn't even look like cream cheese. We had a lot of wierd looking food at our hotel. All I ate for dinner there was a plate of chips, covered with ketchup of course! Big%20smile

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2008 at 17:45
No shock there then. Do you have to resupply ketchup it your house often?

I hate all cheese apart from when it's on pizza.

You cruel people

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2008 at 17:52

We have a whole stock of ketchup in our house! We have like 4 huge bottles which are unopened.

I like eating cheese and ketchup sandwiches, mmmmmmmm!

I eat cheddar cheese but that's about it. Yeah, I will only eat other types of cheese like mozarella when it's on pizza. I never eat any stinky cheeses, stilton or soft cheese though.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2008 at 17:57
How long will that Ketchup last I wonder? well longer now that school starts tomorrow. Or will you just gorge on ketchup even more when you get in from being deprived of it?

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2008 at 18:03

Tomorrow I'm only having ketchup in my sandwiches and on my dinner. I've ordered pizza tonight so I can eat it whilst watching DOI. Better get the ketchup at the ready!

I know this may be hard to believe but I can survive without ketchup, ketchup just makes the food taste better!

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2008 at 18:05
You should do a sponsor thing. Sponsor me not to eat anything with ketchup on it for a week.

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2008 at 18:13
Yeah, that's a great idea! I probably would end up only eating cereal, chocolate, pizza and a few other things though. Food seems to taste so dry without a bit of ketchup!

One of my friends made me rice pudding on top of toast when I was at her house once. She loves it! Luckily I didn't eat it.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2008 at 18:17
yuck yuck yuck.

Am sure your parents will be glad of it as they wouldn't have to buy ketchup

I can see what you mean as I can't eat tuna in a sandwich without a sauce mixed in. Usually Mayo or Salad Cream.

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2008 at 12:54
omg i love rice pudding! my brother hates it though - we are the complete opposite things i love he hates and things i hate he loves!!

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2008 at 15:56
I love rice pudding but not on toast I mean come on

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2008 at 21:05
For me tea I had Spaghetti on Toast with Cheese and it was Lovely.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Feb 2008 at 16:48

I hope you mean tinned spaghetti. I wouldn't have it with cheese though.

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2008 at 18:18
Beans on toast with cheese on the top is really nice! 

My hubby introduced me to peanut butter, apple and cheese butties on brown bread when we first met, I gave him a rather strange look at first thinking he'd gone mad, but it really does taste nice! 

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2008 at 18:20
I discovered a great desert recently - rhubarb and white chocolate crumble it's so nice!!

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2008 at 18:23
That does sound like an odd combination Pinkie ... not sure if it sounds appetising or not to me though, but then again I did think my hubby was completely mad when he mentioned the peanut butter, apple and cheese butty and I actually enjoyed it! 

-------------

Posted By: James
Date Posted: 03 May 2008 at 09:13
Salad cream on a cheese toastie. Hot dogs on a cheese toastie. Not together though.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 May 2008 at 11:53
Dairylea spread and blueberry jam toastie / panini. 

Sounds vile, but is really lovely - like a slightly sweeter (and cheaper) version of brie and cranberry.  Haven't tried it with bacon / ham yet though...

-------------

Date Posted: 03 May 2008 at 12:35
Sounds interesting Strawberry Pez.

Me Dad likes Apple Sandwiches

-------------

Date Posted: 03 May 2008 at 14:57
cheese and apple sandwiches are nice.

-------------

Posted By: James
Date Posted: 03 May 2008 at 20:38
I've heard about people mixing cheese with apples, it doesn't sound that bad.

Walker's cheese & onion crisps on a sandwich with Primula cheese and ham spread is lovely (and great comfort food). Not really a bizarre combination though.

Dunno if this is uncommon but try sprinkling some brown sugar into a stir fry if you've used some spices; it thickens up any excess water from the veggies and gives them a sticky spicy coating.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 May 2008 at 20:52
I don't know weather this is odd , I don't think so. Fruit cake and cheese. Some people Gip when I tell them how nice this is.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 May 2008 at 20:56
Originally posted by Woo

I don't know weather this is odd , I don't think so. Fruit cake and cheese. Some people Gip when I tell them how nice this is.

Woo, it's a classic! Unless you've eaten Christmas cake with Wensleydale, you really haven't lived...

Now I sound straight out of Wallace and Grommit - and me a southerner!

Date Posted: 03 May 2008 at 21:03
Originally posted by Hatshepsut

Originally posted by Woo

Woo, it's a classic! Unless you've eaten Christmas cake with Wensleydale, you really haven't lived...

Now I sound straight out of Wallace and Grommit - and me a southerner!

Good. Thank God I'm not strange LOL. Its better with Lancashire cheese though

-------------

Date Posted: 03 May 2008 at 22:39
Originally posted by Chunks

I've heard about people mixing cheese with apples, it doesn't sound that bad.

Walker's cheese & onion crisps on a sandwich with Primula cheese and ham spread is lovely (and great comfort food). Not really a bizarre combination though.

Dunno if this is uncommon but try sprinkling some brown sugar into a stir fry if you've used some spices; it thickens up any excess water from the veggies and gives them a sticky spicy coating.

Cheese & apple is a really classic combination.  Good sharp cheddar and a sweet, crunchy, apple is truly a delight.  nod

I'll try to remember that tip about the brown sugar next time I do a stir-fry - sounds good.  Thumbs%20Up

-------------

Date Posted: 04 May 2008 at 15:23
I love Apple and Cheese it is amazing not had it in a while though

-------------

Date Posted: 08 May 2008 at 16:46
*pukes*

-------------

Date Posted: 08 May 2008 at 16:51
If it was mozzarella it would be a fab combo but if any other cheese I don't like it I only eat mozzarella lol!

-------------

Date Posted: 08 May 2008 at 17:52
same but i only like melted cheese for some reason and it is only on certain things i can eat it else i dont like it.

-------------

Posted By: Yummy Mummy
Date Posted: 08 May 2008 at 22:10
You can't beat a cheese and jam sandwich

-------------
Yummy Mummy

Date Posted: 08 May 2008 at 22:32
*pukes even more where is that jodie marah bucket and did you empty it woo?

-------------

Date Posted: 08 May 2008 at 22:34
yeah go for it AJ that does sound bad.

-------------

Posted By: Yummy Mummy
Date Posted: 10 May 2008 at 22:18
That's exactly what my hubby says too, Woo.  This from the man who eats fish finger sannies though!!

-------------
Yummy Mummy

Posted By: chloej
Date Posted: 25 May 2008 at 15:24
i love raw potato i eat it like an apple minus the skin

-------------
chloe

Date Posted: 25 May 2008 at 15:44
Originally posted by Yummy Mummy

That's exactly what my hubby says too, Woo.  This from the man who eats fish finger sannies though!!
i eat them too they're well nice!!

-------------

Date Posted: 25 May 2008 at 15:59
Nothing wrong with a fish finger sarnie - provided there's a good dollop of tartare sauce on there with them.  nod

-------------

Date Posted: 25 May 2008 at 18:03
I love Fish Finger Sandwich but mine has to have either Tomato Sauce on it or Tartar Sauce on them, I have not had one in ages hmm I fancy one lol nod

-------------

Date Posted: 28 May 2008 at 00:02
I have ketchup on mine lol I also love meatball sandwiches!

-------------

Date Posted: 28 May 2008 at 10:55
Meatball subs from Subway are heaven - especially if you have them 'toasted' as well. Mmmmmm...

Don't!  It's a long time 'til lunch yet!  Cry
LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2008 at 23:10
On the menu for lunch at the Hats house tomorrow: gammon ham cooked in coca-cola.

Yes, it's an unusual combination, but it's brill - a Nigella Lawson recipe that has become a family fave and I now can't cook gammon any other way.

Just thought I'd share...

-------------
"See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to run one at a time." - Robin Williams

Posted By: vicki
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2008 at 17:28
hope you enjoy it cooked in your special way

-------------

Posted By: Jonnyboy
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2008 at 17:44
Ham and Coke is quite common now. 

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2008 at 18:13
Originally posted by Jonnyboy

Ham and Coke is quite common now. 

So I'm finding! The chef in our cafeteria at work tells me that Dr Pepper is now the thing. http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Dr.%20pepper%20ham - clicky  or even with 7-up. Now that would be nasty!

-------------
"See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to run one at a time." - Robin Williams

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2008 at 10:36
Dr Pepper is evil and should be destroyed

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2008 at 17:19
Hasn't cola been a "secret ingredient" in BBQ marinades stateside for quite a while now?  Something in the formula has a tenderising effect on the meat (think what it does to your gums!) while the sugar caramelises on it as it cooks.

(Again, think what the evil brew does to your teeth!!! Cry)

"Perfect beef" recipe for Sunday roast in Pez house involves English mustard and maple syrup.  Lovely.  Mmmmm.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2008 at 17:55
not that unusual I guess but has anyone here done the Tim Tam Slam? fucking delish!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BHzMfZ1FaqA - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BHzMfZ1FaqA

-------------

Posted By: mais
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2008 at 22:01
I quite like the sound of gammon and coke. Better than just having pinapple rings with it like we normally do. Think meat in general needs to have something added to these days. nod

My unusual combination of food is if I have a paste spread sandwich, whichever flavour I have to have cheese with it. I hate fish, but I used to enjoy the salmon and shrimp variety, but I think I added the cheese just to take the taste away originally, but I always do it now.LOLLOL

Johnnyboy just one thing, do you have to swear on the forum. First time I've seen someone do it. Swearing never has and never will be very nice, I do, do it myself, but doing it where other people can read it is not nice at all, and just lowers the tone of an otherwise pleasant forum. AngryAngry

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2008 at 11:00
Mais, its my forum.....

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2008 at 11:04
Ooooops, Mais you may need to avoid reading my posts....as i just cant help myself

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2008 at 20:25
I like Rice and cheese mixed together as well.

I also just discovered Baked Beans and Cheese mixed together

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2008 at 10:16
beans and cheese is a classic combination

<y sis used to take it one step further though, beans cheese and marmite... which is just wrong

-------------

Posted By: Bren
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2008 at 11:20
Originally posted by mais

I quite like the sound of gammon and coke. Better than just having pinapple rings with it like we normally do. Think meat in general needs to have something added to these days. nod

My unusual combination of food is if I have a paste spread sandwich, whichever flavour I have to have cheese with it. I hate fish, but I used to enjoy the salmon and shrimp variety, but I think I added the cheese just to take the taste away originally, but I always do it now.LOLLOL

Johnnyboy just one thing, do you have to swear on the forum. First time I've seen someone do it. Swearing never has and never will be very nice, I do, do it myself, but doing it where other people can read it is not nice at all, and just lowers the tone of an otherwise pleasant forum. AngryAngry

I think there is a difference in swearing to be nasty and swearing to make a point (which Jon's did) and as it is Jon and Alex's forum surely they can do what they like?

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2008 at 11:21
back to weird food combibations Eggs, chips, mushy peas and mayonaise Whistle

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2008 at 13:09
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo mushy peas are baaaaaad

-------------

Posted By: Claire86
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2008 at 13:25

beans and cheese is a classic combination

<y sis used to take it one step further though, beans cheese and marmite... which is just wrong

As disgusting as that sounds, I'm incredibly tempted to try it! I'm a lover of cheese and beans mixed together, and marmite itself, I'll let you know what I think when I get round to it Big%20smile

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2008 at 17:47
am i right in thinking the tim tam is the Austraulian biscuit you can now buy here too, a bit like a penguin? and you are supposed to bite the end off and use the rest of the biscuit as a "straw" to drink a hot drink with it? lol i rememeber a few years back, Natalie Imbruglia was on the graham Norton show and demonstrated lol ....

-------------

Posted By: mais
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2008 at 12:08
Hey guys sorry, keep up the good work.

Not a funny combination really but, when my hubby cooks a dinner for us he loves putting yorkshire pudding with every kind of meat he cooks. Not always with beef as traditional. At least it fills you up.

Love the large ones you can buy filled with sausage,mash and peas, or anything you like.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2008 at 12:51
I like mint sauce with roast dinners - any roast dinner.  It's the combination of crispy roast tater, sumptuous gravy, and the mint sauce - I just love it.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2008 at 04:30
Originally posted by vicki

am i right in thinking the tim tam is the Austraulian biscuit you can now buy here too, a bit like a penguin? and you are supposed to bite the end off and use the rest of the biscuit as a "straw" to drink a hot drink with it? lol i rememeber a few years back, Natalie Imbruglia was on the graham Norton show and demonstrated lol ....

Yep, an Aussie favourite by Arnotts. There have been imitations, but the real Tim Tam is the best. I've actually not sucked a hot drink through it myself. The only hot drink I have is tea, and I've been told its better with coffee (yuk) and hot chocolate (double yuk). Sorry to those who like coffee and hot chocolate.

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2008 at 16:40
I love hot chocolate!!!! lol x

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2008 at 17:21
In the winter when they get in from school My girls insist on having a Hot chocolate, with squirty cream (xtra thick one ) with cadburys flake crumbled on the top or if no flake then mini marshmallows!!!!
My kids have a hard life

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2008 at 17:23
Now let me think in my youth i used to have peanut butter on toast topped with sweetcorn relish! yum!

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2008 at 17:57
good to hear you enjoy the tim tams Margi, they have apparantly just started selling them in some supermarkets over here, i've never seen them yet,

I also don't like or drink any hot drinks at all, I hate tea and coffee, I have never drunk them, when I was little I did used to love hot chocolate, I don't dislike it now, I just don't drink it anymore

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2008 at 18:25
I love Hot Chocolate, with Marshmellows and Whipped Cream

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2008 at 09:41
I did it with mint tea Margi and it was very nice indeed!

I also love mint sauce with roasts, and have it with any variety (which isnt much for me as I only eat chicken or turkey or just veg roast dinners) goes excellently with any gravy....yum.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2008 at 16:07
The mint flavour of the tea would compliment the chocolate in the Tim Tam Jonnyboy.

The Aussie expats would be quite grateful that its now available as I know that a lot of them ask friends to bring them over as well as Vegemite and Cherry Ripes.

For Pink Ribbon day to support Breast Cancer research here, Arnotts produce a strawberry cream filled Tim Tam.

I prefer mint jelly for roast lamb rather than mint sauce.

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2008 at 17:38
the tim tams are apparantly sold here now in Tesco and Sainsburys Margi, incase any Aussie ex-pats here are getting desperatre ! lol what a good idea to launch a special strawberry one in aid of such a good cause     

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2008 at 09:29
I haven t seen Tim Tams in shops here, I found one in a supermarket in Palestine surprisingly! Must be an ex-pat thing for the Ozzy diplomats.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2008 at 21:28
I've never seen them in the shops here either, but then i haven't been looking for them lol they do come up as available online when we do my nans internet shop at sainsburys for her, maybe i will order her some lol

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2008 at 09:28
I tried to do it with a penguin the other day   not the same. 

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2008 at 09:39
have not seen them at Tesco's or Sainsburys either online or in the shop but they are available in uk

http://www.cybercandy.co.uk/aaasmt/index.php/url_pmet3/xlc_1019/xdbc_5/dbtc_1/pic_1/add_44112/stc_1/scope_short#1019 - Clicky

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2008 at 18:11

I tried to do it with a penguin the other day   not the same. 

LMAO at this comment from Jon, for soooooo many reasons.

My bad... Ouch

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2008 at 11:04
LOL, you filthy girl!

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2008 at 19:30
Guilty as charged.  Whistle

Back on topic...  Can't remember if I've mentioned this one before, but a favourite breakfast (if I know it's going to be a very long time til lunch) is crisp wholemeal granary toast with honey and sliced banana.

Sweet, satisfying, and with enough slow-release carbs to keep you feeling full for ages.  Yum!    Heart

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2008 at 11:36
cant have toast really, and hate honey, but the nana is nice!

I like dorest cereal with yogurt and fresh fruit... yum

-------------

Print Page | Close Window