Print Page | Close Window

Gluten free cake recipes

Printed From: The Blue Room
Category: Other Goodies
Forum Name: Food and Drink
Forum Discription: Eating in, eating out, and the best tipple to go with it.
URL: http://www.theblueroom.me.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=17630
Printed Date: 22 Oct 2017 at 13:04

Topic: Gluten free cake recipes
Posted By: MargiABC
Subject: Gluten free cake recipes
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2007 at 14:03
I've got four great gluten free cake recipes that I regularly make and they work really well. My sister is gluten intolerant, so I make these for her. If you're interested in these, let me know and I'll post the recipes here. I have gluten free profiteroles, chocolate sponge roulade, Lamingtons (Australian cake coated in chocolate icing and desicated coconut) and chocolate cake.

Replies:
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2007 at 11:05
Here is the Chocolate Sponge Roulade recipe. Even if you are not gluten intolerant, it nakes a nice dessert cake.

I'll post the other recipes later.

Chocolate Sponge Roulade

3 eggs
1/2 cup castor sugar
1 teaspoon golden syrup                    
1/2 cup maize corn flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon gluten free cocoa
1/3 cup pure icing sugar

Extra pure icing sugar
1 cup whipped cream

Method

1.Pre-heat oven to 200degrees C. Prepare a Swiss roll tin by lining it with baking paper and spraying with oil.
2.Beat together the eggs and sugar until light and thick. This mixture should be triple the original volume. Add golden syrup. Mix in quickly.
3.Sift together the cornflour, cocoa and baking powder. Fold into the egg mixture with a metal spoon quickly and gently.
4. Pour mixture into the prepared tin. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
5. When cooked, remove from oven and quickly turn out onto greaseproof paper liberally spread with sifted pure icing sugar. Remove lining paper. Roll from short end. Leave until cool.
6. Unroll, and spread with whipped cream. Reroll and dust with extra icing sugar. Place on serving plate.

Date Posted: 27 Apr 2007 at 15:35
Here is the next recipe. I also posted this on Kristina Lenko's web site a couple of months ago as she is gluten intolerant too.
This cake is very moist and has a good texture and can be easten by people who are not gluten intolerant or have coeliac disease. However, gluten free flour is always 3-4 times the price of wheat based flour.

GLUTEN-FREE CHOCOLATE CAKE

1& 1/2 cups gluten-free self-raising flour (I use Orgran)
1/2 cup gluten-free cocoa
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup caster sugar
125 gm melted butter or margarine, cooled
1 cup milk (dairy, rice or soy)
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 eggs

1. Turn oven on to 180degrees C.
2. Prepare a 20 cm round cake tin or a large loaf tin or two to three smaller cake tins.
3. Sift together dry ingredients and stir through sugar. Make a well in the centre.
4. Whisk in cooled, melted butter or margarine, milk and vanilla essence.
5. Whisk in eggs, one at a time.
6. Pour mixture into prepared cake tin. Bake in oven for 55 minutes, then check that cake is cooked.
7. Place cake, in tin, on a cooler for 5 minutes, then turn out.
8. Leave the cake to cool for 5-10 minutes, then wrap in plastic wrap to continue cooling. When cake is cool, ice with chocolate icing.

Just fixed up recipes - some of the amounts of ingredients showed up as little squares instead of numbers.

Chocolate Icing

2 tbl butter or margarine
1 tbl hot water
1 cup pure icing sugar
cocoa to taste

1. To the butter and hot water, sift the icing sugar.
2. Stir through to ensure all the icing sugar is incorporated.
3. Sift in and beat through sufficient cocoa to achieve the desired colour and taste.
4. Ice cake, using a palette knife dipped in boiling water to smooth out icing.

Variations
Orange cake � omit cocoa, use 2 cups GF SR flour. Use juice of one orange plus sufficient milk to make up to one cup of liquid.
Butter cake � omit cocoa, use 2 cups GF SR flour.
Sultana cake � use butter cake mix, add � - 1 cup sultanas, according to taste.

Posted By: Sharon
Date Posted: 27 Apr 2007 at 15:39
Thanks for those, my partners mum is a gluten intolerant, I shall pass them on.

Date Posted: 27 Apr 2007 at 15:45
No problems, I'll put up the other recipes later as I don't have them saved on my recipe file in my computer.

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2007 at 14:38
I found my recipe for gluten free profiteroles.

Gluten free Choux pastry for Profiteroles.

1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup maize cornflour
3/4 cup rice flour or gluten free plain flour
1/4 teaspoon bicarb soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 large eggs

1. Preheat oven to 210�C.
2. Place boiling water and oil in a saucepan. Return to the boil. Remove from heat.
3. Add sifted dry ingredients and return to heat, stirring until the mixture leaves the sides of the saucepan.
(If you have made regular choux pastry before, the consistency of the gluten free version at this stage is different. It looks like mashed hard boiled eggs, but white in colour and not a smooth ball of dough.)
4. Place mixture in a bowl to cool.
5. Add eggs one at a time, beating well with electric mixer after each egg.
(I found that you must use an electric mixer with the gluten free version as it is almost impossible to incorporate the eggs with a wooden spoon and get a smooth consistency after the addition of the last egg.)
6. Place spoonfuls onto a lightly greased baking tray.
7. Bake at 210�C for about 10-12 minutes. Reduce heat to 190�C and cook for another 15 to 20 minutes.
8. When cooked remove from oven and cool.
9. Split and fill with either sweetened whipped cream or gluten free custard. Dust with icing sugar or coat in chocolate sauce.

Unfilled ones can be frozen in container to be used at a later time.

I made this last night for a party so my sister could have some dessert. Most people can't tell the difference between the gluten free ones and the regular ones.

Update - for a really smooth mix that can be piped to form eclairs, place the mixture in a food processer and add the eggs one at a time and process the mixture after the addition of each egg.

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2007 at 13:21
If you don't like the grainy texture of the rice flour, use the gluten free plain flour instead for the choux pastry.

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 09:04
In honour of Australia Day 26th January, here is the recipe for gluten free lamingtons.

5 eggs
200 grams castor sugar
1 teaspoon golden syrup                     
210 grams maize corn flour
1 teaspoon baking powder

Method

1.Pre-heat oven to 160 degrees C. Prepare a lamington tin (20 x 30cm) by lining it with baking paper and spraying with oil.
2.Beat together the eggs and sugar until light and thick. This mixture should be triple the original volume. Add golden syrup. Mix in quickly.
3.Sift together the cornflour and baking powder. Fold into the egg mixture with a metal spoon quickly and gently.
4. Pour mixture into the prepared tin. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
5. When cooked, remove from oven and cool in the tin.
6. When cold, cut into 12 squares / rectangles
7. Dip squares in icing mixture until evely coated all over and coat with dessicated coconut. (see below)

Coating

Icing mixture:
250 grams pure icing sugar
50 grams cocoa
150 mls boiling water

250 grams dessicated coconut.

Place the icing sugar, boiling water and cocoa in a bowl and mix until smooth. It should be used while still hot to warm and should be quite runny. The bowl can be placed in a pan of hot water to keep the mixture warm and of the same consistency.

Date Posted: 12 July 2010 at 13:18
Here is another great cake recipe. I made this yesterday and it was absolutely delicious. I had seen the recipe before, but put it aside as I didn't think I would like almond meal. Its from the Australian Women's Weekly Cookbook - cakes and slices

Gluten Free Orange Syrup Cake.

185 grams butter or margarine
1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest.
1 ¼ cup (275 grams) cups caster sugar
6 eggs
3 cups (375 grams) almond meal
¾ cup (60 grams) dessicated coconut
¾ cup (105 grams) rice flour
1 teaspoon baking powder

Method
1. Grease 21cm baba pan. Preheat oven to 170 deg C.
2. Beat sugar and butter together with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
3. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until just combined between additions.
4. Sift rice flour and baking powder together.
5. Stir all dry ingredients into the sugar, butter and egg mixture.
6. Pour mixture into the prepared tin and spread evenly. Bake for one hour.
7. Stand cake in the pan for 5 minutes. Turn onto a wire rack over a tray.
8. Pour hot syrup over hot cake. Serve warm or cold.

Orange Syrup

1 large orange
75 grams caster sugar
1/3 cup (80mls) water

1. Using a vegetable peeler, thinly slice zest from the orange. Cut into fine strips.
2. Squeeze juice from the orange ( you need 1/3 cup or 80 mls) into a small pan. Stir in rind, water and sugar.
3. Stir over heat without boiling until the sugar dissolves. Simmer for 5 minutes without stirring.

Posted By: franks
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 13:42

Hey thanks a lot for the recipes! This is really great. My mother is gluten intolerant and I have been looking for some recipes that involve http://www-scf.usc.edu/%7Ebittman/chocolate.html - lots of chocolate . My mom loves it, then again which woman doesn’t? So keep it up, these posts are great.

Posted By: johnbrown
Date Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 08:49
Thanks all for such a good recipes. I will try them for sure. 

Date Posted: 28 May 2011 at 13:01
I tried another GF dessert recipe today. I adapted a regular recipe for apple sponge I found (my grandmother used to make one similar to this) into a GF one. you can make one large one or 4-6 individual ones so that the person who requires GF food could freeze some for another time.

GF Apple Sponge

4-6 green apples
1/4 cup sugar
2 tabs water.

1. Peel and core apples. Chop roughly. Place all ingredients into a saucepan and cook covered on the stovetop for 6-8 minutes or until tender.
2. Spray the sides and base of a 5 cup ovenproof dish or 6 dariol moulds with spray oil.
3. Spoon the prepared apple into the base of the dish or moulds.

Sponge
2 large eggs
1/4 cup sugar
1 teas vanilla essence
1/2 cup gluten free SR flour
1/2 teaspoon mixed spice

1. Preheat oven to 180 C.
2. Using an electric mixer, beat the eggs and sugar together until the mixture is thick, creamy and 3 times the volume. Stir in the vanilla essence.
3. Sift the flour and mixed spice together. Fold the flour into the egg and sugar mixture.
4. Spoon the sponge mixture over the apple.
5. Bake 30 minutes if using the larger oven proof dish. Bake 15 minutes if using dariol moulds.
6. Dust lightly with icing sugar. Serve with either cream, icecream or warm GF custard.

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 02:52
This is not a recipe but a comment about our recent trip to Italy and GF food. My sister had no trouble eating GF anywhere we went. One hotel in Rome that we stayed out had a small but impressive section of GF cake, biscuits etc on the buffet breakfast spread. Restaurants were very obliging with most of them preparing GF pasta for her if she wanted pasta or preparing other GF meals. The self serve restaurants were a little more difficult, but she was able to buy GF crackers at the pharmacies and have a salad at the restaurant.
In the UK, a few hotels didn't even have GF bread for toast which was disappointing. Dinner was good as most chefs did accommodate her GF needs. A little harder in small cafes. She was able to but GF supplies from supermarkets so she didn't go hungry.

Print Page | Close Window