Forum Name: The Reading Room
Forum Discription: ALL NEW BLUEROOM BOOK CLUB
URL: http://www.theblueroom.me.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14372
Printed Date: 23 Nov 2017 at 16:34

Topic: 'Celebrity' biographies
Posted By: veronica
Subject: 'Celebrity' biographies
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2006 at 13:54
There seems to be an ever increasing number of 'celebrity' biographies, particularly by footballers (though they are ghost written) is it just me who finds them annoying.

For example the latest ones are
David Hasslehoff
Adam Ant
Peter Andre
Steven Gerrard
Frank Lampard
Ashley Cole
Wayne Rooney

Not to mention a forthcoming Rio Ferdinand one and a rather convenient re-release of Steve Irwin's (written by Mrs Irwin)

These seem to be rather infesting the market at the moment.

Replies:
Posted By: Jonnyboy
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2006 at 14:09
What gets me is that some "celebs" are on their third auto biography....

Shouldnt they be sued for missing so much out of the original one?

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2006 at 14:53
It's just a lazy way of filling the bookshelves I suppose.
The sad thing is they push out a lot of gifted writers.

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2006 at 16:47

Sadly, they fulfil the cravings of our increasingly celeb-obsessed society. 

I never mourned the secularisation of society until I realised that organised religion hadn't disappeared but merely changed it's focus; the holy book of the masses is no longer the King James Authorised, but the Max Clifford unauthored.

-------------

Posted By: Bren
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2006 at 22:42
it has also devalued the worth of good biographies - which I really enjoy but a biography of twenty odd year old seems crazy

-------------

Posted By: James
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2006 at 00:32
I haven't read many biographies. I just about managed Jordan's , I got through one chapter of Jodie Marsh's before I threw it away and I couldn't stop vomiting through Paul Burrell's. I made it halfway through his. I did however read ALL of Dolly Parton's autobiography which was fab, and Piers Morgan's is very interesting too and I tore through that in a few days. It's really easy to read. I'd have had a go at Pete Burns' one but having read the liner notes on his greatest hits CD (written by him) I think I'll give it a miss.

I agree with the Bren about the biographies of 20 year olds. What the fuck have THEY got to say? Will Young, Gareth Gates et all, come ON! I'd rather read a book by someone with a bit of life experience and maybe learn something from them.

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2006 at 08:03
I agree also, don't get me wrong I enjoy a good biography but from someone who has lived a bit.
I loved Eric Sykes' but he is a good example of a guy who has had an intersting life. Not some overpaid twat who boots a ball about.

Posted By: lisa
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2006 at 08:57
I read Jodie's was ok I have Sharon Ozbornes to read my mother in law said it was quite good, read Kerry Katonas only to find out she never wrote it was a ghost writer and was rubbish!!
I have mel B from spice girls to read also and Lita from WWE.

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2006 at 10:41
Originally posted by Veronica

I agree also, don't get me wrong I enjoy a good biography but from someone who has lived a bit.
I loved Eric Sykes' but he is a good example of a guy who has had an intersting life. Not some overpaid twat who boots a ball about.

Spot on, V. 

I don't tend to read biographies as a general rule, but really enjoyed the Freddie Mercury one that was out a few years ago (written about him by a journalist, obviously) and I want to get my hands on a copy of "In his own words", too - but that's me being a Freddie fan.

Frank Skinner's was a good read, though - very frank, in all respects - and was appealing because he is a local lad to me.

-------------

Posted By: anna
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2006 at 10:57
I don`t read many biographies, unless they have to tell me something. Somebody gave me the Shiela Hancock one. The two of us. I did enjoy that. More so because I loved John Thaw.

-------------

Posted By: Jonnyboy
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2006 at 13:24
I have never read an autobiography *proud*

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2006 at 13:56
Not even Jade Goody's?

Posted By: Bren
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2006 at 23:47
must admit have not read many biography's of living people and have never read an autobiography

-------------

Posted By: Laura
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2006 at 22:19
Originally posted by Jonnyboy

I have never read an autobiography *proud*

now you mention it, i don't think i have either. yet there are some, even footballers, lives i can imagine would be interesting from the horse's mouth (and no, i don't mean esther rantzen). Pez, I have heard good reports of Frank Skinner's book from a friend

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2006 at 20:19
I have heard good things about Frank Skinner's too.

Posted By: jacqui
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2007 at 19:57
i read nelson mandelas which was amazing. robbie williams is quite good too

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2007 at 15:36
I have read Derren Brown's book and Duncan Bannatynes this year. Derren's wasn't a bio tho...more of a rant against religion and alternative medecine!! Duncan's story was very interesting though.

-------------

Posted By: Pippa
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2007 at 23:24
Read Katie Price's, 2 there ok,  honest! Ulrika Johnsons was quite good, really enjoyed Shane Ritchie's quite honest and funny. Some of the others I have to agree are wrote far to early. X

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2007 at 20:14
I'm reading Peter Kay's book at the mo .... it's hilarious!   

-------------

Posted By: lena4stefan
Date Posted: 03 May 2007 at 22:10
[QUOTE=Strawberry Pez], in all respects - and was appealing because he is a local lad to me.[/QUOTE]

Agree with that Pez- Frank Skinner's is probably the best and funniest book I've ever read, and he is a very local lad to me too. It's probably not really suitable for my age group though...even more worrying is that I read it when I was about 10 or 11 the first time and then frequently since as it is so funny Embarrassed

-------------

Posted By: xSophx
Date Posted: 04 May 2007 at 19:00
Iv'e been reading Chantelle Prestons. I loves it!

-------------
strictly come dancing 6 favourites

Posted By: Kyransgirl
Date Posted: 25 July 2007 at 13:05
Kyrans Brackens behind the scrum is really good and he wrote it himself with out a ghost writer!

Sammyxxx

Posted By: muser
Date Posted: 29 July 2007 at 09:15
I have just finished reading Gordon Ramsays Humble Pie, and I thoroughly enjoyed it!!

Posted By: chloej
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2007 at 16:05

just finished gorden ramsey book...not bad

have read the shane richie book didn't get on with that to well

read michael crawfords and lord brockets to last year both good

-------------
chloe

Posted By: lisa
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2008 at 18:46
I got 'Gail Porter Laid Bare' today anyone read it?

-------------

Posted By: climbinchick
Date Posted: 01 June 2008 at 16:03
I read Katherine Jenkins' autobiography in a whole day. I only read it becasue she worked really hard to be succesful and doesn't splah her private life all over the papers. It was actually really enjoyable. I don't reallly like them, especially the ones written by ghost writers about people who are famous for doing nothing.

Oh yeah...I also love Torvill and Dean's autobiography, and Karen Barber and Nicky Slater's. But that's slightly different as both were published before I was born and I needed to know more about them!

-------------
When I grow up I want to be....just like Piers Morgan!
Joke

Posted By: mais
Date Posted: 19 June 2008 at 15:36
I like reading autobiographies as I can't seem to get into other books now I'm older. Was an avid reader when younger.

I've read the likes of Peter Kay, Michael Crawford, David Jason, David Cassidy,Patsy Palmer,Aled Jones, Alan Titchmarsh and Tommy Steele.
They're all people that I've liked over the years. I've just bought Russell Watsons autobiography.He has been through such a lot recently and I saw him when he first started out as I was at a Cliff Richard concert and he was on with him.
  I was a great fan of Cliff Richard and the Shadows and I've got loads of books on them, but I've gone of Cliff a bit now and the Shadows no longer exist.

-------------

Posted By: HelenIWater
Date Posted: 11 July 2008 at 08:23
I love autobiographies but only if it's someone I'm interested in and like other posters have said, someone who has had at least reached middle age.
Currently I'm on Kim Woodburn, Unbeaten. It's quite absorbing and nice that ahe writes how she speaks.
If you want a good and forthright sport one, try Tony Adams, Addicted. Wonderful stuff!
Got Frank Skinner lined up, sounds like it's well worth a read. OH has read it and enjoyed it.
Recently enjoyed Gordys Humble Pie as well.

Date Posted: 11 July 2008 at 08:46
Just reading Eric Clapton's and previously Don Felder's (Eagles). Both very interesting. Prior to that had read Duncan Bannatyne and Derren Brown.

-------------

Posted By: Hatshepsut
Date Posted: 17 July 2008 at 00:38
I managed to miss this thread (shameful), but it's made me think - I've read relatively few autobiographies, but there are some great classics that haven't dated - I'm thinking David Niven's The Moon's a Balloon, Dirk Bogarde's A Postilion Struck By Lightning and Spike Milligan's Hitler - My Part In His Downfall. They are all just brilliantly written as well as being interesting. I liked Richard E Grant's autobiography, as well as two books by Maureen Lipman, but can't remember the names of them!

But I would scan my current bookshelves in vain for anything more modern - until I bought Clarissa Dickson-Wright's Spilling The Beans (thanks to a recommendation from the Blue Room!). Loved it. She's had a fascinating life and her successful struggle with alcoholism is inspiring.

But none of these was written by a 20-year-old, or ghostwritten. I haven't got any interest in reading such a thing, although there must be a market or they wouldn't be commissioned in the first place. It's a pity.

Oh, and I still haven't read Nelson Mandela (very shameful).

So many books, so little time....

-------------
"See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to run one at a time." - Robin Williams

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2008 at 16:39
I have just finished reading Russell Brand , My Booky Wook. This has put me off him a bit. I really liked his quirkyness and the fact that he is a bit odd and different. I liked him on BBBM and knew a bit about his background regarding drug abuse but still did not find the book as funny as expected and did not feel sorry for his childhood, as it was not as bad as a lot of other childhood experiences I have read about.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2008 at 20:49
I've read Katie Prices, John Barrowman and Gary Barlows xx

-------------

Posted By: vicki
Date Posted: 27 Aug 2008 at 14:08
Dont think i have ever properly read one myself ,but my mum has of people she likes, i got her the Donny Osmond one for christams one year, she said that was good and interesting
Mais, my mum LOVES Cliff too!!!! she has always been a fan, she also has all his books, CDs, videos, dvds, she has been to a few of his concerts and met him twice, i can understand why you have gone off him a bit now though-Dan is much better!

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2008 at 14:11
Originally posted by climbinchick

Oh yeah...I also love Torvill and Dean's autobiography, and Karen Barber and Nicky Slater's. But that's slightly different as both were published before I was born and I needed to know more about them!

we have reserved the Karen and Nicky book at our local library, couldnt find it anywhere else, my mum went to the show Nicky did recently, he recommended it ,so we thought we would try and read it, will have to look for the Torvill and Dean one too then

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Aug 2008 at 20:51
I've just read Peter Kay's autobiography 'The Sound of Laughter'. Brilliant book and so so funny- I'd recommend it to anyone as you laugh from start to finish.
I think I said this earlier in the thread but Frank Skinner's is also fantatic. I've also read Jordan's and managed to get through about half of Peter Andre's but i didn't think much of them. I read Shane Richie's last year...it was ok but nothing special really IMO.

In general though, autobiographies are one of my favourite genres of book.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Aug 2008 at 21:59
I have read Peter Kay's autobiography and drove everyone mad by laughing out loud so much.

-------------

Posted By: Yummy Mummy
Date Posted: 30 Aug 2008 at 20:58
I'm currently reading Sharon Osbourne's second book.  Read her first one and thought it was brilliant, she seems to have gone through so much in her life.

-------------
Yummy Mummy

Date Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 17:26
the Karen Barber and Nicky Slater autobiography we reserved at the library has come in,i will try to read it, looked at the pictures, lots of them from their competition days ,with Torvill and Dean too, and also judge Natalia, their old rival, looks like it is worth a read, as we are such big DOI fans

-------------

Posted By: Thess
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2008 at 01:49
Peter Kay's 'Sound of Laughter' is a fabulous read. His cultural references are the same as mine, and a lot of his humour is typical Northern so it hits the spot with me.

"Put big light on!"

-------------
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.

Posted By: deborah31
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 20:42
BEst, and funniest i read, is Alan Carr's way funnier than Peter Kay's (whose in myopinion, wasn't as good nearer the end)
Also enjoyed Paul O'Grady's book too.

I did enjoy My Steve, by Terri Irwin, read it on the plane back from PERTH, Australia, where i picked it up at the airport.

My fav books of all time, Rock Hudson's 'His Story'  and John Macenroes,  'Serious'

REad Dawn French's recently but got fed up half way thru, and also read Julie Walters, and Roger Moore's . At the moment reading Parky, never been a big fan of his, but picked it up for a quid, which i do for nearly all my books.

-------------
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 20:43

by the way we allus said "Put Big light out!"

-------------
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 20:45
ps sorry to upset you, but i couldn't even imagine reading Nicky Slater's book, he bores me to death on DOI, and i've only watched the programme in full twice!! think it's the sound of his voice.

Another good book i picked up for a quid, (yes at cheap book store) Marcus Trescothick
- cricketeer, who suffers very badly from crippling depression, and anxiety.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 20:48
Re My Steve' by Terri Irwin
ps i also was lucky enough last year to take my kids to Steve Irwin's zoo north of Brisbane,
it didn't seem quite the same without him.   Altho what my daughter found freaky was the life size cardboard cut out's of him dotted around the place.

A really nice zoo/wildlife park tho, small enough to enjoy.
We didn't get to see Terri, and the children tho, but all the staff were very friendly and obviously enjoy working there.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 20:55
Originally posted by veronica

I have heard good things about Frank Skinner's too.

I saw this last week at the charity shop, the only thing that put me off was the pitbull on the front!! (or was it two pitbull's) can't stand the breed, and what it does to children and adults.

I love reading most biographies, , and will try any one that has had a bit of a life! (ie maybe over 40 years of age, altho if young, has done something amazing in their short years)

I recently just picked up at another charity sale, Douglas Bader's 'Reach for the Sky'
I like to know what make's people tick!- and how they live their lives, and where they get
their determination from, especially if they've had a bad start, and how they improve it.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 17:33
[. [/quote]

Spot on, V. 

I don't tend to read biographies as a general rule, but really enjoyed the Freddie Mercury one that was out a few years ago (written about him by a journalist, obviously) and I want to get my hands on a copy of "In his own words", too - but that's me being a Freddie fan.

Frank Skinner's was a good read, though - very frank, in all respects - and was appealing because he is a local lad to me.

[/QUOTE]
ok just bought frank skinner's (despite pitbuls on the front) and Sharon Osbornes, and Clarrissa Dickson Wright's all for a quid each (local cancer , and age concern shops today)
Will give them a go, as I love biography's

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 22:42
My mum lent me the Clarissa Dickson-Wright one sometime ago. I'm not a fan of hers by any means but it's actually a very interesting book.

Posted By: MargiABC
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 08:48
I read 'Time of My Life' by Patrick Swayze and Lisa Niemi after Christmas. I still have books on Kathleen Turner and Coco Chanel to read yet - all Christmas gifts.

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 21:38
couldn't read my new books, as had to re-read Rock Hudson's 'His story' again
after talking about him on here last week with i think it was Toots!

Hadn't read it since about 7 years ago.

-------------

Posted By: Thess
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 20:02

I have a few in hand :Parky, Julie Walters.  Just finished Craig Revel Horwood's 'All Balls and Glitter' which was dull, dull, dull!

-------------
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 14:17
still reading frank skinner, (taking a while, don't seem to have much time these days)
have a few Jeremy Clarksons waiting.
The Clarissa Dickson Wright one i have, is not 'spilling the beans' it's a sort of year in the life of, writtern after her main one, so obviously not as interetsting.
I'm keeping a look out at all the charity shops for other interesting ones.
I keep them aside, till i have time to read them, then mostly pass them on.

I loved Alan Carr's was so funny, gave it away, and the my friend enjoyed it lots too, and she passed it on.  Was hilarious, i recommend it.  I tend to keep hardbacks mostly, or those i'm not overly keen on.
My 9 year old son is attempting to read, Peter Kay at the moment!! Is this wise?
I'll have to have a look at it again, i'm sure he's looking for swear words!! LOL

-------------

Posted By: James
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 16:49
Has anyone read Dreamgirl: My Life as a Supreme by Mary Wilson? I loved that, it was total hatchet job on Diana Ross. Mary does come across a little bitter but I still like to imagine every word is true.

-------------

Posted By: Eviesmum
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 22:07
I thought the Peter Kay one was crap.  The first half was funny but then he turned into a complete tit.

I read the Paul Hunter (snooker player) one which was written by his wife and that is one of the best ones I've read. 
I've also read Tani Gray Thompson and Lance Armstrong ones.  All of which are really interesting.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2010 at 13:45
Has anyone read Ant and Dec's book? I really enjoyed it and I'm rereading it now nod

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2010 at 23:26
haven't read any of the above, ie ant and dec (personally can't stand the two) or dreamgirl
just quickly finished Frank Skinner
Like Peter Kay's started off good too
,- lasted about half way- 3/4,  with Frank Skinner's then had enough, read quickly to the end, and passed it on.

BEst so far imo, Alan Carr's book.

Haven't finished Parky's yet either, again got about half way thru/ 3/4 then abandoned it, seeing a pattern here i think , LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2010 at 21:28
Just bought Kate Adie's from the local charity shop.: The kindness of Strangers:
Had tons of others there, but not really people i'm interested in.
Flintoff, Robbie Williams, Brian Johnston (nearly got this one) and a few others from young people, that i have no interest in.

-------------

Posted By: little_monster93
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2010 at 20:32
My fave biograhy is Miley Cryus. nod 
Before you shoot her down, take a moment to read some of the book. Its truly fascinating and explores a lot of ideas for someone whos only young!
There are 2 versions - the original hardback and a new paperback with a few new chapters in! I have both  Whistle

Posted By: Tups
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 00:39
Originally posted by MargiABC

I read 'Time of My Life' by Patrick Swayze and Lisa Niemi after Christmas. I still have books on Kathleen Turner and Coco Chanel to read yet - all Christmas gifts.
I have the Patrick Swayze/Lisa Niemi one too, haven't read it yet... thoroughly enjoyed Paul O'Grady.. embarassed myself laughing out loud reading it anywhere and everywhere.. eagerly awaiting part 2!
I also bought Len Goodman's.. soooo boring!.. it's shoved away in my locker at work!
I also read  Ricky Tomlinson's ... not a man I like.. but wanted to know more about what happened to him in the 70's when he was jailed for being a flying picket.. I read the book.. bit didn't end up liking him anymore than I had previously.
If any of you get the chance, try and pick up "An Evil Cradling".. it;'s written by the Beirut hostage Brian Keenan.. it's the best book I've ever read..I read all the hostages biographies at the time, but his was written as a raw human being, rather than the good old Brit "stiff upper lip".. I will never forget that book

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 21:48
An evil cradling is a superb book, as soon as I finished it I started again from the beginning, that doesn't happen very often.
It's thought provoking and heartbreaking, it is really difficult to comprehend how he survived the ordeal, great man.
I read Terry Waite's book too, also very good and again one wonders how he survived given that he was in solitary for much of the time.

Posted By: Tups
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 01:53
I also read John mcCarthy/Jill Morrell's book "Some other Rainbow".. I was soo sad when they split up but to be honest.. how any of them could return to a normal life and pick up the pieces must have been near impossible

Posted By: staceyxxx
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 10:40
i would buy Ashley Coles. Big%20smile

-------------
John And Edward FTW! :)

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 23:53
me, and Cheryl, won't be buying that one, LOL
Anything that monkey does isn't worth buying!

-------------

Date Posted: 06 May 2010 at 23:27
I just read Jade's diaries - yeh I know I'm miles behind but OMG it was heartbreaking.

I'm reading Linda Smith's one at the moment.  Very good so far.  Written by her partner.

I bought Christopher Reeve's one also but haven't read it yet.

-------------

Posted By: Rubyx3
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 13:25
Now reading 'Les Dennis' bought from the local charity shop
(Must the show go on?)
also have Chris Evans (ditto, same shop £1.49 hardback) to get thru
No way would i pay full price for these (£18.00 and £20.00 i think on the inside jacket)

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 10:52
 Piers Morgan's is very interesting too and I tore through that in a few days. It's really easy to read.    Dance

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2011 at 07:28
I read Melissa Gilbert's biography(best known for playing Laura Ingalls or Half Pint from Little House on the Prairie). It was called a Prairie Tale. She has led / is leading a very interesting life.

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2011 at 14:45

I've just read Les Dennis's and Brenda Blethyn's

also half way thru Chris Evan's
Just started Martin Kemp's   "True"
Alll charity shop buys at £1.49 for hardbacks!!!!!
(try not to pay full price for books these days)

-------------

Date Posted: 06 May 2011 at 08:00
Now reading Ulrika Jonsons " Honest'
Don't know much about Ulrika, as i have been overseas for the main part of her being on TV here, but can't put the book down!!
Very good reading, have  read the part where she was raped by said BBC presenter (who every one now knows alledgedly) altho he was never named in the book, along with a footballer who she had a relationship with(in which there was no abuse, just for privacy reasons)
Missed the whole Stan Collymore business, so didn't know about that abusive relationship.
Recomend it, altho think it may of been written about 6 years ago (another charity shop buy of mine) so think it only may go up to her 2nd or possibly 3rd child.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 May 2011 at 18:05
I've just bought Katie Piper and Patrick Swayze one mentioned on a previous page.  Yet to read either but I'm looking forward to reading Katie Piper's book.  Amazing what she has acheived in the face of adversity.

-------------

Posted By: Posy
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 19:30
Have just finished Susan Boyles autobiography which I bought from a charity shop today (wanted to read it for awhile but did not want to pay full price for it), interesting to she how she sees things. Have a copy of John Bishops autobio on my Kindle which I am part way through and as he lived near to where I onced lived in Cheshire a lot of the places he mentions are familiar to me and my bedside story at present is We bought a zoo by Richard Mee which I have read before and have borrowed this from work before the film comes out and the boys at school may want to read it then!

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 14:25
We've got John bishop's book, I haven't read it though. Since my last post on this thread I've read Warwick Davis's book. That is brilliant.

I enjoyed Katie Piper's one too.

I have Clarissa do dah's Spilling the Beans to read for my book club.

Posted By: SueM
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 17:35
Just finished Lynda Bellingham's There's Something I've Been Dying To Tell You. Black in places but so funny in others. I hope |I'm as brave if the same thing happens to me.

Just starting Graham Norton's book. Am expecting a good read, judging by the write ups on the net. I am also ploughing through Hilary Clinton's. I say ploughing in the size of the book way! I am actually enjoying it and tend to use it as my weekend read.

I love John Bishop. Is the autobiog as funny as the man?

-------------
Never be flat. Never be sharp. Always be natural.

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 12:20
Probably, dp was laughing. I haven't read it yet.

Posted By: Posy
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 06:53
Sue with regards to the John Bishop book it's funny in places but thought provoking in others. Did not realise ...oh best not say in case you want to read it 😀

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 13:20
I am reading my study book by Pamela Trevithick, and actually got to meet her last week, (she's doing a bit of a Uni tour) so got her to sign my book, she wrote quite a bit in it, only asked for her autograph!!
It's hard to follow, but she explained a lot of the theory, she was very entertaining, not what i expected, as to be honest, her book is tough going (well for me), altho well recommended on the internet by reviews.

-------------

Posted By: Toots
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 15:08
many writers find ghosting a good little earner, in between the bread and butter writing they do

-------------
Inside every elderly person there is a young person wondering what the hell happened

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 20:31
he..he.. are you writing for anyone Toots!!!!! i should be doing some reading but can't face a book, so went for a little stroll around the shops this afternoon.
Got talking to an older Aussie guy, he was telling me where he grew up in Tasmania, his mum knew Errol Flynn!! said he was into young girls, could of given Jimmy Saville a run for his money!!!, now i'm sure i had a book on Errol Flyn's life not too long ago, that would be interesting!! (from memory i'm not sure if the book was part fiction, it was set in the Carribbean i think from memory)
Lucky for Errol (not for the girls obv) there wasn't internet, tabloids, and reporters around then!!

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 17:21
Originally posted by deborah31

he..he.. are you writing for anyone Toots!!!!! i should be doing some reading but can't face a book, so went for a little stroll around the shops this afternoon.
Got talking to an older Aussie guy, he was telling me where he grew up in Tasmania, his mum knew Errol Flynn!! said he was into young girls, could of given Jimmy Saville a run for his money!!!, now i'm sure i had a book on Errol Flyn's life not too long ago, that would be interesting!! (from memory i'm not sure if the book was part fiction, it was set in the Carribbean i think from memory)
Lucky for Errol (not for the girls obv) there wasn't internet, tabloids, and reporters around then!!

Clark Gable was quite a sex symbol in his time, and wherever he went he was mobbed by women. Not being very tall, he found it a bit daunting so used to regularly whip out his dentures and say ' Hey ladies! What do you think of the big movie star now?'  They disappeared like wild geese in winter Clap

-------------
Inside every elderly person there is a young person wondering what the hell happened

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2015 at 07:23
I think I read that book on Errol Flynn. It was called My Wicked, Wicked Ways. He had flings with underaged young ladies. I don't know what the age of consent was on the US in the 1940s and 1950s. I believe he was arrested over some of his dalliances and he was charged with "constitutional rape" where the girl 'may' have been consenting, but underaged. Deborah there may not have been internet then, but there was Hedda Hopper and Louella Parsons, Hollywood gossip columnists who could break or make actors' careers if they got wind of something and actor had done.

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2015 at 21:52
Originally posted by MargiABC

I think I read that book on Errol Flynn. It was called My Wicked, Wicked Ways. He had flings with underaged young ladies. I don't know what the age of consent was on the US in the 1940s and 1950s. I believe he was arrested over some of his dalliances and he was charged with "constitutional rape" where the girl 'may' have been consenting, but underaged. Deborah there may not have been internet then, but there was Hedda Hopper and Louella Parsons, Hollywood gossip columnists who could break or make actors' careers if they got wind of something and actor had done.

This old(ish) guy from Tasmania was telling me this from what his mother told him who grew up with him in Tasmania (Hobart??)- where he was spotted for his (first?) film. He said he owed a lot of money to the bar /restaurant there, they sent him the bill to Hollywood, and he sent a postcard back to Tasmania saying 'come and get it from me then' or words to that effect. I read he alledgedly lost his virginity at 12!
(to his mother's housekeeper?)

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 08:55
Originally posted by deborah31

As I understand it Deb, these ghosts have to be anonymous, invisible and discrete. Whatever would happen if  someone 'wrote' an autobiog and  it came out that they'd never written a word in their life? Or worse... A blockbuster award winning author dried after their second book and apart from story outline chapter planning, had every book since ghosted.Shocked

-------------

Print Page | Close Window