I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reality TV > Strictly Come Dancing 2017
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lard of the Dance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Online Status: Offline
  Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lard of the Dance
    Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 16:01
https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/1548614/strictly-come-dancing-professionals-slammed-after-performing-a-dance-routine-in-fat-suits/

LARD OF THE DANCE Strictly Come Dancing professionals SLAMMED after performing a dance routine in FAT SUITS
Katya and Neil Jones were revealed as two of the new professionals but are already causing a stir
EXCLUSIVE
BY LUCY JONES, BIZARRE TV REPORTER 3rd August 2016, 7:00 pm

TWO new Strictly Come Dancing professionals have sparked outrage by performing a “discriminatory” fat suit dance routine.

Katya and Neil Jones, who were unveiled last month as two of six new professionals joining the hit BBC show, poked fun at overweight dancers with a “fat ChaCha” during their Dutch Open Showdance.

The couple have only just been confirmed as professionals on Strictly
But hundreds of dance fans have hit out at the couple on social media for their “disgusting fat shaming routine” – and have vowed not to support the Strictly duo in the future.

Teacher Stephanie Marie Fox fumed: “Your “fat suit” routine is a disgrace to the dance community.

“Dance should be positive and inclusive and your shameful routine is in extremely poor taste.

“I cannot support dancers who discriminate against or ostracise others.”

This is what Katya and Neil really look like NOT KNOWN
This is what Katya and Neil really look like
Another, Clare Wilkinson, blasted: “I am utterly horrified. How unprofessional and how disgusting of competitive dance to celebrate the ridicule of any group in society.

“I thought that the comedy fat suit routines were going the same was as “blacking up”.”

The offensive routine still managed to win them second place at the event

The offensive routine still managed to win them second place at the event
And Fatima Parker added: “Fat ChaCha by Neil and Ekaterina Jones is fat shaming and stigmatising, wearing fat suits to ridicule fat bodies is harmful.”

Edited by deborah31 - 04 Aug 2016 at 16:02
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 16:40
Talking of 'blacking up'
not related , but my friend went to see Showboat in London yesterday. She thoroughly enjoyed it
She has photo's of her parents from 1965 when they 'blacked up' to play the roles of Joe and Queenie (? from memory) in an am-dram performance, and also of her grandmother, also blacked up years before.
She has sent the pictures to the theatre now, as they wanted to show the current cast (no-one now of course does this)as this play not performed in a long time I think??
(you all may know better/more)
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
Andrew View Drop Down
Fluffer
Fluffer

Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 18:12
I doubt the dance was intended to offend but I can see why people are annoyed.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 18:14
I wanted to upload the photo's but for some reason, i couldn't get them to upload (maybe my pc??) but kept getting error 500 or something, then throwing me back out
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 21:45
It's inappropriate (imo).
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 10:39
haven't opened the article above to see pic I just won't read the filth in any way and the report is factually wrong

The dance was NOT called Fat cha cha at all the dance WAS called Mr and Mrs Latin

The concept is two ex world number 1 dancers (20 times over) who retired 10 years ago come back to dance again.  I feel it may have been more PC to be wrinkly and Grey rather than the fat suits but whilst I thought at the time it may cause offense to some, it was a good routine.

I hope people do not judge Neil and Katya on that article and one of their many showdances here is the routine from youtube (as I said will not open anything by the sun)

Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 10:51
and Neil and Katya in an excellent showdance

Maisie View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote Maisie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 13:57
I'm fat & don't find this offensive in the slightest. Don't think they should be comparing being fat with being black either!
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 14:36
what annoys me most is the The Sun and The Mail fat shame stars everyday - why can't people leave people these days and if they are happy with who they are and how they look then fine - instead of telling us everyone should be stick thin with plastic faces and big black eyebrows :)
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 19:20
Agree Bren.

I don't think people should be told how to live their
lives... but the fact is obesity ruins your health.

I don't think it's wrong to say so.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 19:53
yes agree Jo it does ruin health but why are just the overweight singled out - seems to me in the press it is ok to have a go at them - but in the same wayi Drink ruins health and smoking ruins health too but they do not get the press overweight people do.  

If the gay community, ethnic community was spoken of in the press the way some overweight people are there would be outrage - think they are just the new whipping boys a friend of mines relative will no longer go out because of comments made by strangers because of her weight - something I feel only happens in recent times because people read derogatory remarks in the press

Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 20:36
I know what you mean Bren...

Everywhere you look these days people are judged on
the way they look. It's so unkind.

I'm sure Neil & Katya didn't mean to upset anyone.

Edited by Jo Bird - 06 Aug 2016 at 06:55
 Post Reply Post Reply