I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Chat
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Eurovision 2016

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eurovision 2016
    Posted: 15 May 2016 at 01:50
Congratulations to Dami Im from Australia for coming 2nd in Eurovision. Congratulations to Ukraine for winning.
This is the second time Australia has competed at Eurovision and both times got into the top 5.

Long story as to how Australia is an entrant in Eurovision. SBS our multicultural TV station has been promoting and broadcasting Eurovision for years. Until last year we could not vote in Eurovision, but SBS always ran their own poll at the same time it was happening in Europe and they would compare it to the official vote. My niece tells me that Australia has associate membership to the Europen Broadcasting Union because of the content of programs shown by SBS. She's been up at 5am each morning it's been on to watch it live.
In 2014 Jessica Mauboy was officially the first Australian to sing at Eurovision, but not as a contestant. Last year it was Guy Sebastian and this year it was Dami Im. Apparently a female Australian singer has performed as an entrant several years ago, but as an entrant for a European country. I think it was Germany, but I am not really sure.
Guy Sebastian and Jessica Mauboy were winners of Australian Idol and Dami Im won Australian X Factor 3 years ago with Danni Minougue as her coach. I saw a tweet from Danni, she is so proud of Dami in Eurovision.

Dami is such a sweet, humble lady. Her family migrated to Australia from South Korea when she was 9. Her fans are called the 'Dami Army'.
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 13:45
Good result for the Aussies Margi

When -or if- we get Brexit the UK won't have to enter
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 15:52
We've got tickets to see Dami in concert in September. We booked them last week. Went on line again to see how many seats are left after Eurovision and they're pretty much all gone.
SueM View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote SueM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 20:01
Margi - she did so well. A lovely voice.

Jo - wouldn't be too sure about that! How many of the entrants today are from Europe? No wonder kids can't get their geography right! Australia....Israel.... We could save a fortune by pulling out. About time we did.
Never be flat. Never be sharp. Always be natural.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 05:23
They mentioned on TV yesterday that SBS were in talks about buying licensing rights to hold a Eurovision style contest in Australia, but aimed at Australian and Asian competitors.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 05:36
I watched an episode of the Graham Norton show a few weeks ago where Merryl Streepwas a guest as well as the UK competitors who performed their song. He jokingly told Merryl that you don't want to win Eurovision because the winning country had to host it the following year. Very cheeky of him. If Australia had won, Eurovision would still be hosted in Europe. I believe that when Australia was invited to enter the competition this year and last year, and if they won could only co-host the event in Europe the following year.
SueM View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote SueM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 16:18
If they'd won it was said that Germany would stage it next year. I'd have liked to have seen it in Australia.
Never be flat. Never be sharp. Always be natural.
 Post Reply Post Reply