I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Celebritain.com Entertainment Forum > Television and Film
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Eddie the Eagle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eddie the Eagle
    Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 17:40
I went to the cinema to see this movie this evening. A great story, even better, that I can remember watching the real Eddie the Eagle on TV when the 1988 Winter Olympics was on. Even though this was a movie, you just wanted to cheer him on throughout for his determination and effort.

The cinema had a special guest speaker before the screening of the movie, Australia's first Winter Olympic gold medalist in speed skating - Steven Bradbury. He's the one who was not the obvious one who was going to get the gold medal in the final, but he was the last man standing when the first 3 skaters all fell over. He's written a book about his Olympic journey and its called "Last Man Standing".
His story is just as inspirational as Eddie's story. Steven went to 4 Olympics before winning gold, was ranked 5th in the world at one stage. He's had his share of injuries which would have made a weaker man walk away from the sport. He said that during a world cup event another skater collided with him and the skater's blade split his thigh open. He lost 4 litres of blood and needed 111 stitches. In 2000, while training he fell when trying to avoid someone else who had fallen, and crashed into a barrier fracturing the C4 and C5 vertebrae. He had to wear a halo brace and was told she should not skate again. If he followed that advice, he wouldn't have won gold in 2002.
The term 'doing a Bradbury' is a term officially in the Macquarie Dictionary.
 Post Reply Post Reply