I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Chat
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Brexit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2016 at 17:50
Hi Andrew. Sorry it's bad news for you.

I don't know if Leave ran an effective campaign
or if Remain just ran a bad one.

I was open to vote either way but Cameron's
threats put me off Remain.

Still very surprised by the result.

Edited by Jo Bird - 25 June 2016 at 20:46
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2016 at 04:57
We are shocked too!!!
Currently on holiday on St Maarten
So all Americans here, we did vote leave but didnt believe
That it would happen
Our daughter voted remain
I believe 72% of 18-24 yrs wanted to remain, but only
42% turn out of that group
She thinks we are doomed. I have told her we were
Great before the EU and we can be great again
I did not like the threats from Europe and being
Controlled by a 2nd government in Brussels
I think it is worse to regret what you didn't do,than
What you did, this may be our only chance to 'see
What we can do'
If things go pear shaped and we screw up we have only
Ourselves to blame,which is fair enough,I won't
Be surprised if others follow
Just wondering now who can take over from
Cameron??
It's been all doom and gloom here on the news channels
Cnn. Fox etc and stocks fallen etc-get only American
Channels here, I believe it will gradually get back
To what things were before- here the people we
Have met are rightly more concerned on the trump/Clinton
Situation, but they all interested in the UK
I. Must admit all the Americans we have met so far
Really good company-and all seem to be very fond of
The UK
At least what they are telling us😀

Edited by deborah31 - 25 June 2016 at 05:07
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2016 at 07:40
I've been watching it on the news. I believe voting wasn't compulsory? Is that true? So those that didn't vote can't grumble if it didn't turn out the way they wanted? We have our federal elections in 2 weeks to determine which party will lead the country and who will be PM. At the moment it's Malcolm Turnbull and the Liberal party. Remember we have had a revolving door of PMs over the last few years. Back stabbing at its best. At least the Brexit on the news has taken some of the election advertising off the media for a day or two. Analysts here are working out how it will affect the Australian economy and other aspects here. It might be a bit tough for tourism from Australia to the UK as the exchange rate was already quite low before Brexit, so could be a worse in weeks to come. The Australian reaction is probably the least of the U.K.' s problems. More pressing for you and the effect on the UK.

Edited by MargiABC - 25 June 2016 at 07:46
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2016 at 08:26
I'm listening to my niece's radio program and today it's themed as "Brexit: a Musical Anthology". She's just played "I could Be Happy" by Altered Images and "Should I Stay or Should I Go" by The Clash.

Edited by MargiABC - 25 June 2016 at 08:29
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2016 at 20:01
Will be brief, as just lost my post , yes voting should
Be compulsory in the UK too
We used to get fined if we didn't vote in aus elections
When we were overseas, first temporarily
We eventually de registered as no longer tax payers
I'm fed up with whining UK expats who mainly
Live in Europe and have not paid UK taxes
In years , they still think they should vote (I think
They can Upto 15 years)
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2016 at 20:44
I don't think the vote should be compulsory...
but the irony is, if it was, Remain might have won.

Looking at the stats it's clear 18-24 year olds let
the Remain side down. Not your daughter Deb!

I see there's a petition with 2 million signatures
calling for a re-run of the referendum...

Edited by Jo Bird - 25 June 2016 at 20:45
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Andrew View Drop Down
Fluffer
Fluffer

Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2016 at 23:27
It now seems very likely there'll be a second independence referendum - Sturgeon annoys me no end, I appreciate Scotland (including me) voted in but we voted as the UK and she should be focusing on getting the best deal for us as the first minister!
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2016 at 12:02
Originally posted by Andrew

It now seems very likely there'll be a second independence referendum - Sturgeon annoys me no end, I appreciate Scotland (including me) voted in but we voted as the UK and she should be focusing on getting the best deal for us as the first minister!

Yes I can see a 2nd referendum for Scotland, but to be honest, Europe wouldn't
accept Scotland on it's own. With the drop in Oil prices, it wouldn't have anything to offer Europe, Yorkshire, with more people has more chance.
Scotland's deficit is too big, and the downturn in Oil (the main /only industry left??) doesn't help. Maybe if the 5million Scots switched to the Euro currenty and became part of perhaps Benelux or something,might be more of a possiblility?? (We have problems getting rid of Scottish pound notes as it is down here, people don't like them)

I'm sorry I can't watch Nicola Sturgeon, I just switch off is she is on.
Meanwhile Theresa May is growing on me....

As for the labour party, what a shambles.........although not a fan, I do admire Jeremy for sticking to his guns, and staying put.
I was talking to a Belgian man on holiday, and he could totally see why Britain voted to leave, he said his country (ironically) had enough too?? I suppose Belgian have their own government in Brussels too??(as well as the European one)

Edited by deborah31 - 23 July 2016 at 12:06
Andrew View Drop Down
Fluffer
Fluffer

Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2016 at 13:46
Originally posted by deborah31

Originally posted by Andrew

Yes I can see a 2nd referendum for Scotland, but to be honest, Europe wouldn't
accept Scotland on it's own. With the drop in Oil prices, it wouldn't have anything to offer Europe, Yorkshire, with more people has more chance.
Scotland's deficit is too big, and the downturn in Oil (the main /only industry left??) doesn't help. Maybe if the 5million Scots switched to the Euro currenty and became part of perhaps Benelux or something,might be more of a possiblility?? (We have problems getting rid of Scottish pound notes as it is down here, people don't like them)

I'm sorry I can't watch Nicola Sturgeon, I just switch off is she is on.
Meanwhile Theresa May is growing on me....

As for the labour party, what a shambles.........although not a fan, I do admire Jeremy for sticking to his guns, and staying put.
I was talking to a Belgian man on holiday, and he could totally see why Britain voted to leave, he said his country (ironically) had enough too?? I suppose Belgian have their own government in Brussels too??(as well as the European one)

Agreed - I wouldn't be happy at all if we in Scotland voted to leave the UK.

As a lifelong Labour voter the state of the party is terrible - and at the next general election I'm seriously considering changing.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2016 at 14:02
Where's Nick Clegg and where have the liberals gone too?
They should be taking advantage of the labour situation, timing is everything

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12