I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reality TV > Strictly Come Dancing 2017 > Andrew's Strictly Blog
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SCD Blog Week 8 Blackpool

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Andrew View Drop Down
Fluffer
Fluffer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SCD Blog Week 8 Blackpool
    Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 20:18
Greetings everyone - sorry for last week's no show - I wasn't able to catch the show until Sunday afternoon and there wasn't much point in doing it then!

We're in Blackpool this week - supposedly 'the Vegas of the North' as the Beeb seem to want us to believe - actually a windswept, tatty old place (I went there last summer).

Devastated at the loss of Jeremy from the show last week - I fear it just won't be the same without him!

Me and the wife are sat with an Indian takeaway - our usual healthy diets.

The opening dance was far too frantic and overpacked for my liking - I supposed it's to be expected though. I remember during last year's trip to Blackpool every dance was filled with backing dancers and pointless props - don't suppose much will have changed this time round!

Oh, get on - goodness me, guitars coming from the ceiling - an indication of what's to come tonight!

Could they have dragged this out any longer - finally, the first pair are on - and it's Jay & Aliona:-
I find him more boring than any of the others - even screeching Jamelia gives me more of a buzz! The first dance of the night, and we already have a bar set and a few dozen backing dancers on stage! Ok, ok - I begrudgingly admit he danced well - doesn't mean I'm going soft!

Jamelia & Tristan:-
I'd much rather she'd went instead of poor old Jeremy - but that's the way the show works, I suppose! More props and backing dancers - I remember when the couples got straight on the floor and started dancing! She was very floppy and wobbly - surprisingly, the four stooges don't overly gush - wait a minute - eights?

Anita & Gleb:-
Another snooze-worthy pair - I have so little to say on them except the wife noted she had the scarf she was wearing in the VT. A large amount of the dance is dedicated to her being dragged about like a sack of spuds by muscly men - no doubt it'll get gushed over! Revel-Horrid gushes over them, Dreary Darcey continues, Old Pa Goodman, next - and the Italian irritant Bruno makes it a full house! A 10 - what a surprise! [8-)]

Katie & Anton:-
Wasn't looking forward to this pair - goodness me - Erin is back! Even if she's only slightly better at latin than the Berk, she's still my all time favourite female pro - I've just about forgiven her for making poor Colin Jackson dance with a puppet! Well I thought she was stiff as an old crutch - and made two noticeable stumbles - no doubt she'll still get gushed on! Old Pa Goodman certainly was, with only Dreary and Revil-Horrid giving any criticism what-so-ever.

Peter & Janette:-
I better get a pillow - he always sends me to sleep! I'll also have to prepare for lots of gushing - hang on a minute, they aren't - a six from Revil-Horrid - even Dreary, notorious for her fawning over the men only gives seven! Nothing much to say here - except Jamelia might not be the one going tonight!

Georgia & Giovanni:-
I loooooved their dance last week - not only did me and the wife get up and have a go, we watched it again, and a few more times - the first dance this series! Well, the backing the dancers spoiled it for me as my terrible eyesight meant I couldn't tell which of the pairs whirling about was them - but I'm sure it was very elegant and graceful, as always. The judges are gushing - and well deserved, it seems - glad to see my favourites continuing to do well!

Helen & Aljaz:-
Even if she isn't one of the most popular on here, I do love watching her dance - hold on a minute, have I got double vision? Oh, it's just the latest attempt at comedy in the VTs - they never fail to make me cringe! As usual, I hated the backing dancers - but except for that, I loved the music and the dancing - even if she did make a blunder or two.

And finally, it's Kellie & Kevin:-
I thought their 'hip-hop' Samba last week was good for what it was - and they're still my joint second favourites with Helen & Aljaz - let's hope she does well! Excellent choreography from Kevin - excellent dancing from Kellie - and excellent comments and scores! Off to vote for them twice, Georgia twice and Helen once.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm fed up of the Beeb trying to convince us Blackpool is 'the Vegas of the North' - with Winklepicker just saying those exact words. I absolutely hated the backing dancers - it just made the routines feel overpacked. Very surprised to see Passionless Peter at the rear of the leaderboard - I thought the Beeb were supposed to be pimping him!

I'll be back to see who got booted out - see you later!   

Edited by Andrew - 21 Nov 2015 at 20:19
Pandora\'s Box View Drop Down
Fluffer
Fluffer

Quote Pandora\'s Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 20:44
Thanks Andrew, missed your witism's last week, great comments as ever
Pan
SueM View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote SueM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 21:10
Brilliant as ever Andrew. Did miss you last week. How is Mrs Andrew? Send us down a naan bread! Trying to eat properly before Xmas (and to please my diabetic nurse!).

Agree with comments on backing dancers. They just get in the way imo.

No run ins with the neighbours this week?

Waiting for results show results - Peter or Jamelia possibly - so drinking cappuccino and watching Thunderbirds. Recorded it this morning. No way are we up at 8.30 on a Saturday morning. Prefer the old series but getting used to this one. If only they'd not messed with the theme music.

I'm A celeb soon. Hurrah!

Edited by SueM - 21 Nov 2015 at 21:11
Never be flat. Never be sharp. Always be natural.
Andrew View Drop Down
Fluffer
Fluffer

Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 21:25
Originally posted by SueM

Brilliant as ever Andrew. Did miss you last week. How is Mrs Andrew? Send us down a naan bread! Trying to eat properly before Xmas (and to please my diabetic nurse!).

Agree with comments on backing dancers. They just get in the way imo.

No run ins with the neighbours this week?

Waiting for results show results - Peter or Jamelia possibly - so drinking cappuccino and watching Thunderbirds. Recorded it this morning. No way are we up at 8.30 on a Saturday morning. Prefer the old series but getting used to this one. If only they'd not messed with the theme music.

I'm A celeb soon. Hurrah!

I did manage to catch up on last week's eventually - was out when it was on.

The wife is fine, and I may well do that - I love naan bread!

Luckily, no - we haven't for a few days - we're keeping a low profile at the moment after our cat ran into the young couple a few doors away's house (the door was open) and shat on their rug - incidentally, he was running away from their own cat at the time!

I, too, will be watching I'm A Celeb - it's my guilty pleasure in TV!

Thanks for your lovely comment - thanks to Pandora's Box too!
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 21:34
just reading your blog, now i seem to be at odds with everyone, i love all the extra dancers!! (with the celeb/pro dancers) - it seems such a big floor/ballroom to fill with just two on the floor.
I sorry to say I don't rate Blackpool either anymore, surprised really they still hold the ballroom there, the town has really gone down, reminds me a bit of Yarmouth here, (I won't say Great Yarmouth- bit of a paradox) Like most of our sea-side towns sadly decayed.
Now Vegas this year, ..... Loved it, glamour glitz, amazingly typically US style, top shows everything.... looking forward to watching the New Vegas shows coming up on TV soon (7th December with Trevor Macdonald)
edit
had a few brandies here, so might not make the results (AGAIN!!)

Edited by deborah31 - 21 Nov 2015 at 21:35
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 21:59
the dancing is held at the Winter Gardens because it simply is the best ballroom and atmosphere to dance in - the UK championships held in Brighton is not  a patch for room or atmosphere - sadly the town is not what it was

thanks for the blog andrew enjoyed it as usual :)
Eviesmum View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac
Twilight Mad

Quote Eviesmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2015 at 13:22
Good blog again Andrew.

What am I missing about Helen, I can't stand her.
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2015 at 13:28
Thanks Andrew. Nice to have you back.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2015 at 14:02
Originally posted by Eviesmum

Good blog again Andrew.

What am I missing about Helen, I can't stand her.

I'm not a fan, -too Downton for me, never mind the midwife. I'm sure she's got a heavy cockney accent normally her 'posh' accent sounds too put on for me, (and she's acutally from Birmingham so may slip up and come out with a brummy one!, lol).

Edited by deborah31 - 22 Nov 2015 at 14:44
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
SliverOfDiamond View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin

Quote SliverOfDiamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2015 at 19:26
Yarmouth is on the Isle of Wight, totally distinct from Great Yarmouth in Norfolk, and is quite a a pretty little town with a ferry terminal and marina attached.

Forgot to add: Thank you Andrew for your blog post again, I'm still following Strictly at arms length via this forum, which I'm finding rather more entertaining than the programme!

Edited by SliverOfDiamond - 22 Nov 2015 at 19:27
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2015 at 20:57
Originally posted by SliverOfDiamond

Yarmouth is on the Isle of Wight, totally distinct from Great Yarmouth in Norfolk, and is quite a a pretty little town with a ferry terminal and marina attached.Forgot to add: Thank you Andrew for your blog post again, I'm still following Strictly at arms length via this forum, which I'm finding rather more entertaining than the programme!

We never say Great Yarmouth here, dropped that preposition yonks ago, I suppose just like people in the US, and everywhere just say 'Vegas' far too long to say the 'Las' (although ironically nothing 'Great' about Yarmouth here anymore, rather sad.
 Post Reply Post Reply