I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Chat
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Election

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Election
    Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 18:11
I find it mildy annoying around this time...
when politicians go on the campaign trail.

I'll vote on track record...
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
SueM View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote SueM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 20:31
Thoroughly agree Jo. Don't see them for years and suddenly you can't get rid of them!!!

Even voting on track record difficult. Still don't know who to vote for.
Never be flat. Never be sharp. Always be natural.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 06:33
We had a New South Wales State election two weeks ago. Mike Baird, the New South Wales State Premier was returned to office. The campaigning prior to the election was very annoying as received a letter from each major party once a week for about five weeks, as well as campaign flyers from other parties. Then we got political campaign phone calls. One day I answer the phone and the person on the other end was Mike Baird. He only got as far as "hello this is Mike Baird...". It was recorded message so I hung up.
The big winners were the printers, the paper manufacturers and the recycling companies. On polling day we received 2 ballot papers, One to elect our MP for our electorate, and the other to elect members to the legislated council. The second ballot paper had 100+ candidates on it. We either had to tick off 15 candidates from various parties or tick 1 party that had at least 15 members. That ballot paper was about 80cm x 20cm. We also received how to vote pamphlets for every political party before we entered the grounds of the building where we had to vote.
Technology has caught up with us. In previous years if you' knew you would be absent on polling day you could do a postal vote, but now you can also register to vote on line and then do a pre-polling day vote on line.
It's compulsory to vote in Australia, with fines if you don't vote.

deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 18:27
I've had fines for not voting whilst overseas!!
They should fine in the UK for not voting too, !! a big money spinner, as reckon only about 65% or so turn out if that!!

I'm just fed up of Nicola Sturgeon on the news!!!!!
don't want SNP involved in Eng/Welsh government, we're not in theirs!!

One of the families we stayed with in Canberra, their son Steven is in politics. They were friends of hubby's parents, trying to think of their surname now.

** remembered - conroy- think he was labour party??

Edited by deborah31 - 12 Apr 2015 at 23:46
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
moonshine View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote moonshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 23:16
feed up with it already now the main news is going on about usa election and i think thats still two years away

moonshine
moonshine View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote moonshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 23:17
remember if you dont vote    dont  complain with what you wnd up with
moonshine
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 03:25
Originally posted by deborah31

One of the families we stayed with in Canberra, their son Steven is in politics. They were friends of hubby's parents, trying to think of their surname now.

I looked him up - he is the ALP Deputy leader of the opposition in the senate in the Federal parliament
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 19:30
I'm not sure about fines for people who don't vote.

There needs to be an element of free choice...
No vote can be just as much a protest as a vote.

Edited by Jo Bird - 14 Apr 2015 at 19:31
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
SueM View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote SueM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 21:05
Why don't we just have an abstain box on our voting papers. That way there would no fines and everyone would have their opinion put forward.

I am still totally undecided. We had a lovely MP who retired this year. He was excellent and worked so hard for us. His replacement is a total unknown to us and we've not seen sight nor sign of her. Just a leaflet shoved threw the letterbox telling us that she will work to defend the NHS, back Sure Start, get local business men to back the minimum wage. All very well but what about those of us working all hours god sends, owning our own homes and without children - at least young children.

I feel the middle of the road voters get very little out of governments, past and present, and probably future.
Never be flat. Never be sharp. Always be natural.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 23:11
Originally posted by MargiABC

Originally posted by deborah31

I looked him up - he is the ALP Deputy leader of the opposition in the senate in the Federal parliament

ooh sounds quite important then??
lovely family ex RAF family (how my hubby's family know them, were in Singapore together i think), we visited them and they invited us to stay a couple more nights over new year, must be 20 years ago, took us to their local RSL club for New Year, and a trip a night to the top of the local hill/mountain to see the kangaroo's. think my mother-in-law still exchanges Xmas cards with them, they stayed with them on their visit to canberra too, they don't mention his sister!!

Edited by deborah31 - 14 Apr 2015 at 23:17
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 01:33
Some people here do a 'donkey vote'. They get their names marked off the electoral roll, get their ballot papers, go to the polling booth, leave the ballot papers blank and deposit them in the ballot box. It's not getting your name marked off the electoral roll on polling day or in a postal or on-line vote that will get them fined in Australia.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 01:59
[QUOTE=deborah31] I've had fines for not voting whilst overseas!!
They should fine in the UK for not voting too, !! a big money spinner, as reckon only about 65% or so turn out if that!!

[QUOTE]

My sister and I had booked a 4 week around Australia cruise 6 months before the previous state election in 2011. At that stage no date was known for the election. 5 weeks before the cruise they announced the date of the election which was 20 days into the cruise. 1500 passengers out of 2000 were from New South Wales. The electoral office knew about the date of the cruise and we could apply for a postal vote that would be sent to Port Melbourne for passengers on our cruise so we could collect it from there and do a postal vote (the application form already had Port Melbourne as the destination for the cruise ship and date it would be there). Of course things did not go to plan - we get to Port Melbourne and search for our postal vote forms from officials waiting at the dock. Our forms were not there and another couple of hundred people were missing theirs too.
My other sister in Sydney rings us to tell us that the postal vote forms have been sent to our home addresses, which was kind of useless as we were in Melbourne. We were going to be in Perth WA later that week and we were going to visit relatives there for the day. My sister posted the forms to our aunt so we could vote.

What you have to go through not to be fined.

Edited by MargiABC - 15 Apr 2015 at 02:12
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 18:41
Only a week to go... Thank goodness
 Post Reply Post Reply