I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Chat
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tablet/I-pad

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tablet/I-pad
    Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 12:02
I'm thinking of buying a tablet/i-pad...
Is there a simple one for idiots (like me)?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 12:08
If there is Jo, can you let me know? Mark keeps on about about buying me one but I'm a bit windy. I had a look at the latest windows in PC World... it looked awful complicated
Inside every elderly person there is a young person wondering what the hell happened
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 13:54
I had the same dilemma Jo and Toots and resisted buying one for a long time. I didn't know whether to buy an iPad or a tablet. My brother-in-law who is our family computer technology whiz fixer upperer hates Apple products and kept steering me towards an android one (he does not own any form of tablet). My cousin who is a much better computer whiz (he actually does this for a living and is constantly updating his computer hardware) prefers iPads. It came down to a sale. My sister and I bought an iPad mini each with 16GB (most basic) with wifi only. It fits into my hand bag. At home it just connects to the home wifi and a lot of places have free wifi. She bought her daughter the same but with over 500 GB and she took it to Turkey to do her daily course work for the trip.

My brother-in-law said that we had sold our souls to the devil and we were now part of the 'Borg Collective', and would not help us if we had technical issues.
I did have a technical issue - after 6 weeks I couldn't get onto the internet and thought what a load of rubbish. My niece came home for the weekend and fixed it. I now know if it plays up again I just have to hold down the on / off button to reboot and it works.

I have done 90% of my BR posts on my iPad mini. I did get carried away and downloaded a lot of apps ( I'm cheap and only downloaded free ones) and only use 1/3 of them. I still use my laptop for internet banking, even though there is an app for my bank, because I am still not sure how secure it is. I also use my laptop for some emails and to print off any emails as we don't have a printer that is compatible with the iPad. I use the iPad to read most of my emails. I am still learning how to use various functions. I only found out how to zoom when taking a photo, last week. My sister downloaded the Kindle app and buys books for it. The books go to the 'iCloud' for storage and she can access them whenever she needs to.
I bought a folder style cover to protect it, but my niece has one that has a Bluetooth keyboard on it as she doesn't like typing on the screen keyboard, but it is awkward to hold when taking photos.

Edited by MargiABC - 16 Feb 2015 at 14:21
SueM View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote SueM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 15:06
I have dinky little Acer netbook but treated myself to a Hudl last year. I love my Hudl. Put a card in to boost up the GB and it does everything I need. I am going to look on Google store to see if I can download any Office apps e.g.Word, Excel etc as I have been using it mainly for music, gaming and photos.

I have a pink duck radio that floats in the bath but has now given up the ghost. Suddenly thought yesterday why don't I try using it in the bathroom - not in the bath!- and I watched Antiques Roadtrip via the BBC iPlayer. Got loads of albums on it and can get radio as well so my baths might be longer now. The 20 mins soak yesterday turned in to a one hour epic. Wonderful!

Let you know how I go downloading office type apps. Don't really need them as Acer does those but worth a try as Hudl does fit in handbag (Sack!).

Very easy to use - must be as I am not technical at all. The instruction manuals are usually useless. Might as well be written in Chinese, so self taught. Sometimes ring Tesco helpline. Find Hudl and Kindle great on hols and the wifi on the Hudl is fine. Kindle already has 3G incorporated in it.
Never be flat. Never be sharp. Always be natural.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 18:45
The ladies i know here from my Aqua class, all use Hudl's (Tesco own)

I don't own any tablet or pad/ latest tech phone, just use my old desktop pc with tower, altho i have now inherited my kids old 17" laptop, that i have to cart around in my pull along suitcase on my college days! (as too big and heavy to carry in a back pack)

Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 21:49
Don't get me wrong, I still use my laptop, but it's more convenient to check emails and go on BR on the iPad because it starts within a few seconds and I can be anywhere in the house, whereas the laptop takes a few minutes to boot up and get the internet started. Plus when I want a new recipe and look it up on line I can have the iPad on the kitchen bench with the recipe open and use it, before I would look on the laptop, print the recipe off then use it. When I was teaching I used to update my computer every 3-5 years as it was tax deductible and after 3 years my accountant would tell me to think about updating as it it's value would be minimal to claim. The first computer I owned was an Apple IIC in the 1980s.. I updated and got rid of it a few years later. Apparently they a worth lot of money now to collectors.
12 years ago my dilemma was traditional tower computer or laptop. I went with laptop for portability and it's not Apple as my brother-in-law can fix them if I have a technical issue. Also my school used regular PC, not Apple so my work had to be compatible.
If I was still teaching I would use both laptop and iPad as there are a lot of educational apps. My friend who teaches year 5 students showed me how she uses the iPad in the classroom, plus she can use the school wifi to connect to the interactive whiteboard. It wowed me.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 22:11
Jo you now have 1 from an iPad user and 1 from a tablet user. I don't know if it makes it easier or more difficult to decide.
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 06:05
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm undecided.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
SueM View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote SueM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 15:25
Originally posted by Jo Bird

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm undecided.

Hi Jo. Decided to get to grips with the Apps on my Hudl after reading all this. Golly Moses didn't know it did so much. Downloaded an office suite from the Google Play Apps link. It was totally free and he who thinks he is obeyed actually did a Powerpoint on it to see how well it did.

I wrote a letter on the Word function and it also does Excel. When you think how much you pay for Microsoft, who must surely run out of admirers soon where cost is concerned, I was amazed that it was free. Also downloaded BBC Iplayer limks and Sky+ link. Did Adobe Reader a few months ago and Avast security - all for free. If I change my tablet at all it will be for a Hudl 2 but can't see need at mo.

Hudls get good write ups and when you look at feedback on gaming, apps etc sites the common prob always seems to bewith Samsung Galaxies which appear to get stuck, won't download etc. Friend has one and she has just got a Hudl after seeing what mine does.

Agree tho - it's a nightmare. Can only take your best shot. Got Hudl with Tesco vouchers where £10 of vouchers = £20 of buying power. Don't know if they are still doing this offer.

Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 15:00
Will have a look at Hudl... Might be as far as I get
SueM View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote SueM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 15:10
Since looking at my Hudl - glorious shade of fuschia pink - I've found so much more that it can do. Downloaded Kindle app, amongst others, and can now read my books on Hudl. WPS Office suite is doing everything I want it to do. Until you put the question originally I hadn't looked at apps available thro Google store.

Have a look at a few and see which one does what you want it to do. I am a techno phobe as can clearly be seen by the fact I didn't even think it would do Office, but here we are tapping away for fun. Bought a stylus for it yesterday so now I am not hitting umpteen keys at once.

Why did I pick Hudl Cost, could use Tesco vouchers and it does as much as I needed it to. Haven't looked at Hudl 2 as don't need it yet but gather the graphics are better. As mine are ok now another reason not to trade up just because I can!

Good luck!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply