I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > The Reading Room
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Reading room

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 14:58
It doesn't sound odd Sue... I like recipe books.

My sister's lent me PH's 9 day liver detox.
Might give some of the recipes a whirl.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
SueM View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote SueM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 15:15
Sounds interesting. Does your liver need a detox? Debs might find it useful!!!!!! Debs + SCD + bottle of wine will forever be in my head! She'll kill me for saying this so I'll log off now! Love you really Deb.XXX
Never be flat. Never be sharp. Always be natural.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 18:19
Originally posted by SueM

Sounds interesting. Does your liver need a detox? Debs might find it useful!!!!!! Debs + SCD + bottle of wine will forever be in my head! She'll kill me for saying this so I'll log off now! Love you really Deb.XXX

ha..ha.. i don't really drink as much as i did (mainly when overseas in a dry country!I'm sure we returned to the UK 5 years ago as alcoholics)
Had a couple of red wines (glasses!!) last night, first i've had in ages, toasting an old school friend who died last month from pneumonia, -his funeral was yesterday, couldn't make it, as 5 hrs away, but believe, he had a fantastic turnout,he was my first boyfriend at 13! (only for a week or two! i was too shy back then)
Was supposed to be doing my groupwork project, ended up looking for social work jobs in Australia!!
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
SueM View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote SueM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 19:21
Sorry to hear your sad news. Everyone I know seems to be losing someone these days. Awful.

His nibs and I got accepted for New Zealand a couple of years back. He's an electrical lecturer/assessor and I'm retired now but a qualified English teacher with law as a back up. Felt we couldn't leave mums over here and we will be too old when they are no longer here. Have relatives in Oz so may be able to get in that way.

We've actually been looking at The Lakes/Northumberland/East Lothian and Suffolk to retire properly to when the time comes. Also some lovely places in Wales and we seem to be 2 Englishers (!) they like. Heard they disliked the English but we've always got on well wherever we've been. It's a nice feeling.

Have you found a job in Australia? Could be a good move and Oz wines are still very good, although Chilean ones are coming up on the outside!

Edited by SueM - 20 Feb 2015 at 19:22
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 09:20
Originally posted by SueM

I guess everyone would benefit from a liver detox   
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
SueM View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote SueM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 14:31
You are prob right. If we are talking detox from 35 years ago when I was uni drinking then I def would have benefited. Amazed I still have a liver based on those days.I must have put it thro' hell.

I am starting Kundalini yoga and meditation, Don't laugh! Don't know if my legs will allow me to sit crosed legs on floor. May need a hoist to get up! The meditation side has great results according to internet - if I don't burst out laughing or get distracted! Got the dvd so can always turn it off. Ambulance will be on stand by!

Have a lovely weekend. Rest well. XXX
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 18:43
We still have our aussie passports, altho the kids have expired, must go down to Australia house this summer to renew them!!! I'm thinking my daughter will go there on a 'gap year' or longer!!! after Uni, (she was born in Randwick, Sydney Women's hospital) . My son (canadian born) says he's heading to Canada as soon as he's old enough/qualified, - must renew his Canadian one too!!!!   (I don't want my kids to stay in UK, better opportunities out there, and better weather!!- well in Aus)
edit.
If i get thru this b****y course, looking to head down under, when my kids are hopefully at Uni, hubby will probably be working in Nigeria, or some other attractive posting by then!! (will know within a year or two, his next 4 year assignment) so i'll be having my own delayed gap year... ha..ha..delayed by about 30 years!

Edited by deborah31 - 21 Feb 2015 at 18:45
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 19:07
Good on yer Debs
SueM View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote SueM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 14:52
Can Jo and I carry your bags? We're ready!!!!
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 18:12
I can carry the bags as far as the airport...
but I don't want to leave the country.

I love the UK
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 19:58
I don't mind the UK, but i loved my time overseas, especially Canada, and Australia!!!!! I'm hoping my kids will go back to Aus, as I hate the cold weather. I'm afraid i just love blue skies, when my kids first moved to Europe (Holland), my daughter coudln't understand the grey skies, and why it was dark all the time! If i win the lottery i will be downunder 6 months of the year!
SueM View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote SueM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 21:59
Originally posted by Jo Bird

I can carry the bags as far as the airport...
but I don't want to leave the country.

I love the UK

I also love the UK. We always holiday here rather than go abroad. But that's the country. At the moment I hate the way the country is run. People seem to be trying to do 2-3 people's work because everyone is cutting back on staff but expecting the remaining staff to pick up their jobs for no extra pay. Our bankers have, in the main, caused a lot of the probs and not picked up the tab. Our NHS is on its knees. Our education is terrible.

I won't carry on as my blood pressure will hit the roof!!!! I can be serious when I need to be! Our country is beautiful, full of history and some lovely people. But we are also getting the reputation of being a dumping ground and we need to get a grip on this. Met some lovely Dutch people who asked why we were allowing so much wrong to happen to the UK. They have put a stop to a lot of things in Holland that we should also have done.

I have just deleted the next 4 paragraphs. Sorry! I have a button re the UK that once pushed I'm like a firework.

Edited by SueM - 26 Feb 2015 at 18:40
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 01:29
Originally posted by Jo Bird

It doesn't sound odd Sue... I like recipe books.

My sister's lent me PH's 9 day liver detox.
Might give some of the recipes a whirl.

I like recipe books too Jo. I don't have to buy them - usually birthday and Christmas presents. The ones I did buy I used when I was teaching or doing the Hospitality training. Others are food reference books. Some of my favourite books are
Gastronomique by Larousse. A very heavy book to carry.
The Cooks Companion by Stephanie Alexander - Aussie chef
Mastering the Art of French Cooking Vol 1 a& 2 by Child and Beck. The illustrations of techniques are wonderful - no photos.
Food in History by Tannahill
How to Cook a Galah by Dyson - Aussie history of food and some traditional and modern recipes. A galah is a native Australian bird related to the cockatoo with pink and white feathers. There is a real recipe in the book for it, but it's in historical terms of bush tucker.
What Food is That and How Healthy Is It? by Jo Rogers - Aussie reference book of ingredients used in Australia written by one of my former lecturers at Teachers College. Big illustrations and useful before we had Google images.
I don't mind some of Jamie Oliver's books.

There are 2 books I bought at a fire sale over 20 years ago. Randwick library that used to be on Anzac Pde in Maroubra (I can't remember if they relocated the library afterwards) had a fire and several weeks after the fire brigade declared the building safe, Randwick council had a sale of the library books as they were - still on the shelves, covered in soot, smelling very smokey and some had water damage. I picked up 2 books, which I can't seem to locate at the moment, but were great reading after I cleaned them up. One was on the foods of Papua New Guinea and the other on regional foods in the UK in the 1970s and 1980s.

Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 18:20
Agree with you Sue.

We can't let everyone come and live in the UK.
There's not enough space or enough jobs...

Hey Margi.

I hasten to add I'm not a real cook like you.
Have you tried any of the regional food recipes?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234