I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > The Reading Room
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Reading room

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Online Status: Offline
  Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 21:23
sorry to hear about the fall SueM, someone i know here, her mother a similar age fell and they didn't find her until the next day! (didn't use her emergency cord around her neck to call for help) After several weeks in hospital (was just before Xmas) she is waiting a placement in a residential home now, as can no longer manage in her own home. Hope your mum has managed to get a bed in a local hospital? They are in very short supply here, when they built the 'new' hospital, they didn't put in enough beds/wards!
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
SueM View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote SueM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 22:04
Thanks for your kind thoughts Deborah. Yes they found her a bed and the op is tomorrow. She lives in a sheltered housing complex so has her own flat. The benefit is the fact there is 24/7 care if she needs it but they have independence if they don't. Luckily she pressed her neck thingy and Stacey was down in 1.5 mins.

I sense money had a lot to do with your local hospital. How the heck they can not put enough beds or wards in is beyond me. I'm sure you and I could have sorted it but we've too much common sense!

Will know more tomorrow. Going to bed with fingers crossed. Night petal. XXX
Never be flat. Never be sharp. Always be natural.
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 09:12
Sorry to hear about your mum's fall SueM.
Not good for your stress levels either.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Eviesmum View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac
Twilight Mad

Quote Eviesmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 12:29
Hope your mum is ok sue.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 15:48
good to hear they respond well, a friend of mine just(a few weeks ago) tested her 93 year old mother's alarm , they have to come from about 10 miles away, and it was 10 minutes before they telephoned! (there was a fault on it??). She is in a sort of sheltered housing, only no longer any wardens on site, (Victory Housing). My friend is quite worried, but recently got an assessment from Social Services for her mother, as she has just flown to New Zealand for her daughter's wedding yesterday, so they needed something in place, if only just to give her daily medication etc.
Hope the Op goes well and she's up and about soon!
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 17:42
Yes. Hope all goes well.

The problem is the NHS is stretched to the limit.
The local hospital here keeps closing wards...

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
SueM View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote SueM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 17:49
Thanks everyone. Mum had her op this morning and there were no complications. She's got to get moving as soon as she is able as it's the next few weeks that will show how she is going to get on.

Stress levels thro roof Jo. Not sure I can control them at mo. Will start again next week. Visiting tonight and taking her case up. Will chill with Death in Paradise. Usually does the trick. Night all. XXXX
SueM View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote SueM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 20:14
Physio didn't do physio. Silly way to put it but you know what I mean! Not surprised as she only had op yesterday. She can barely sit up bless her. They've put a pin in. Hopefully she'll be ok for the London marathon.

Jo - my stress is slghtly lower. My Bagpuss microwavable slippers arrived this morning - scented with lavender. Just back from hospital, flung them in to heat and am sitting here now looking like.....well it's difficult to say. His nibs has just asked if I can walk in them. Just tried. Nearly fell over as they've got something in sole! More like The Flintstones than a fashion show!

Started reading Graham Norton autobiography. Well written so far. Have a lovely weekend all. XXX
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 21:57
Nice work SueM It's not easy to de-stress is it...

Hope you (and your mum) will feel better soon xx
SueM View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote SueM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 17:29
Hi All. Carted off to hospital myself. Me downstairs and mum upstairs. What a family. Back home after being told to destress! Easier said than done.

Anyway......Been reading my Tess Gerritsen. She has a way in her books of swapping between two individual stories past and present which all meet up in the end. It's very tightly knit but I am finding, as I usually do with her books, that I have to concentrate to follow the plot. Probably not a good time for me to read this type of book. Perhaps I should go back to Janet and John or Tootles the Taxi (my fav Ladybird book!).

Loving watching Death in Paradise but hope it will not suffer from loss of another cast member. They've not killed her off so maybe she will be coming back....or maybe not!

Is everyone surviving the weather? Stay warm.

Have you looked at those books I mentioned, Bren? Have downloaded one to Kindle. Looks a good read.

Right off to carry on resting. Not too good at that to be honest. Can't sit still for long. End up reading my Kindle or 'real' books, baking, doing puzzles, doing games on Hudl and netbook etc etc. I count those as relaxing but the doc didn't!

Talk soon. XXX

Edited by SueM - 30 Jan 2015 at 17:36
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 17:09
Hey SueM.

The problem is resting is boring. I know. Believe me.

I rest an hour, do a short activity, rest an hour etc.
It breaks up the day and still gets stuff done.

SueM View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote SueM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 17:54
That's how I tend to do it here. Sometimes I get very tired and admit to not doing much on those days. Usually I can do 2 on 1 off after about midday.

I've got enough to keep me entertained when resting but I can't sit still long enough to do it!!!

Mum still in hospital.I've kicked up a hell of a fuss on her old ward. Just because she's 85 they put her in the geriatric ward forgetting that not all 85 years old brains have turned to mush. She's also worrying about me as well which doesn't help!

At least her new ward has individual tvs and radios. They cost a fortune and are rip offs but as long as she gets something to keep her brain ticking over.

Take care. Thanks for advice. XXX
Posy View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin

Quote Posy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 19:21
Hi everyone as per usual have two books on the go at the moment re-reading Harry Potter and the goblet of fire at school and abattoir Blues by Peter Robinson at home. Enjoying both but feel the latter is not as good as some of his previous dCI Banks novels. Hope you're soon feeling a lot better Sue.
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 14:10
Originally posted by SueM

Bren - have you seen the 2 new books that are coming out end of Jan?
No 1 - Lady Katherine Knollys: The Unacknowledged Daughter of King Henry V111 and No 2 Henry V111's Last Love: The Extraordinary Life of Katherine Willoughby, Lady in Waiting to the Tudors.

2nd one only due out in hardback at mo so will wait for it to come out for Kindle. Will get first one at end of Jan.

2nd one interesting in fact that it would appear if Henry had not died when he did he'd have divorced Kath P and married Kath W.

Look interesting for you and me. Are you warm enough where you are? Take care. XXX

hi Sue sorry for late reply beeen busy these last few weeks both books look extremely good particularly the one on Kathrine Willoughby - hope you are well , weather has been ok here and so far no snow this season - yet
Posy View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin

Quote Posy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 06:27
Good morning ladies
Just enjoying the half term break from work. Have been reading a wide selection of books (seem to read more during the winter months). Have been reading Gervase Phinn's Little School series (enjoy a little nostalgia) and am now up to date with these and have loved them all. Have also read "something borrowed, someone dead" an Agatha Rasin book which was okay if a little disjointed at times and at present I am reading the Bilbourghy Chronicles on kindle (first two I really enjoyed the third I am struggling with) and "six little miracles" about the Walton sextuplets in book form.
SueM View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote SueM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 14:46
We love Gervais Phinn in this house. Such a good writer and wonderful live on stage. If you get the chance to go and see him do go.

His Yorkshire accent really makes his stories live! Especially the one where as a school inspector he was on his way up the driveway to an infants school out in the Dales to watch the nativity play. He was somewhat surprised to find everyone coming down the drive as he was going up. Asking a young 5 years old girl what was happening he was brightly told "Play's off sir. Virgin Mary's got nits". Classic.

May sound odd but I am reading a lot of recipe books. Downloaded a set of The Skinny......Got the slow cooker, ice cream maker and soup maker ones. All recipes are between 200 and 500 calories. My type of anything is to fling all the itemsin together and wai and see what comes out. I'll prob blow up the soup maker and weld the ice cream maker to the surfce but hey ho!

Finished my Graham Norton Auotbigraphy. Fun bit of writing and am now reading the Gordonston Ladies Dog Walking Club. Only just started and so far so good. Was rec to me by Amazon for my Kindle. Free so downloaded it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>