I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > The Reading Room
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Reading room

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SueM View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SueM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 20:21
Originally posted by deborah31

the only books i have read btw in the last 3 years, are Linwood Barclay, and Lee Child, as i do like crime/thriller genre.

I also like Lee Child. Very well written. Have you watched the Tess Gerritsen series Rizzoli and Isles on Sky Alibi? Got all 11 books on my Kindle and as usual books and tv have very little in common. 5 series and 61 episodes a good clue here! Tess G is a physician married to a physician so the pathology elements are very real, especially in the books.

A good one to read is Tess' The Bone Garden which is set in the 1830s in Boston.

I do love my Kindle. Makes it so easy to read anywhere, anyhow. Joined Kindle Unlimited today and promtly downloaded 5 books (as if I've read all the others on my account!) including 2 cook books - one for slow cooker and one for soups.

That's the problem having all students in the home - whatever level and age - life revolves around course books. I used to feel guilty if I read my own books rather than the uni set. Then I thought to hell with it, I'm going rogue and got my own shipped in. You have to relax.

A friend's daughter started at Oxford last Sept and arrived with the entire editions of Beatrix Potter, Winnie the Pooh and The Twilight series. If it's good enough for Oxford it's good enough for you and me!

Does your hubby get time to read? His job sounds very high flying or intense..or both! XX

Edited by SueM - 11 Jan 2015 at 20:23
Never be flat. Never be sharp. Always be natural.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 18:30
no he never reads, never has done, only manuals and documents, connected to his job, on holiday he enjoys being with the kids, playing sport or other sports, and games with them like cards etc.. so doesn't read there either, plus he is social, so likes to meet people and will talk to anyone etc... where I like to hide behind a book and chill on holiday!!! yes he is covering a few jobs, so has flown to India, Dubai, Canada, and Houston last year, as well as his usual Dutch base.
We all like doing Sudoko's here
I really like Linwood Barclay, can't remember how i found his first book (big seller- maybe a Richard and Judy??) I have borrowed the Kindle, and read a couple of books (the book thief- so i did stray off my authors! and another Lee Child.. )but i prefer paperback i never buy new, always 2nd hand from charity (why i have read the Lee Child, and Linwood books out of order!)

Edited by deborah31 - 12 Jan 2015 at 18:33
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
SueM View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote SueM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 22:03
Thank goodness you like Sudoku. I adore it but sometimes feel like people see it as a sin! Got 2 Sudoku books for Christmas with the puzzles going from Easy to Devilish! I am that woman on the train who does a fist clench when she finishes one of the latter - not very often I hasten to add!

Your husband is very lucky going to all these countries. We go between Dorset, Shropshire, .....anywhere as long as it's in the UK!! We are going to get passports ths year, mainly as a means of ID as I'm too scared to fly now. Too many accidents from various sources.

Oh bless him. My other half has just bought me another bottle of Thorntons' Chocolate Liqueuer. He must have seen the nearly empty bottle in the kitchen that was my Xmas pressie!

The Lynda Bellingham is turning in to a very good book. Just up to section where she films her trip around the UK in her camper van. She certainly doesn't hold back. I keep going from laughing to crying. It's a clever piece of writing.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 18:23
Started my Lee Child Book (present) - Without fail- my kids noticed it was one i hadn't got.
I immensely disliked Tom Cruise as Reacher btw!!!(in the film)
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
SueM View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote SueM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 20:35
Originally posted by deborah31

Started my Lee Child Book (present) - Without fail- my kids noticed it was one i hadn't got.
I immensely disliked Tom Cruise as Reacher btw!!!(in the film)

I don't tend to like Tom Cruise in his films. Somewhat overrated IMO. Nearly finished the LB book. Don't think I would be this brave in her circs. Infact there is no 'think' about it. It's a def no way.

You've got good kids there! XXX
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2015 at 11:20
not keen on this JR novel-   maybe i'm not in the right mood???
there's a couple of negative reviews too, on the web, maybe not his best? (it's his 6th I think- Without Fail)
SueM View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote SueM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2015 at 12:59
Having been ordered to stay in bed by doc, with 7 days of antibiotics and 10 days of steroids (I'll look like both of them soon) I have no excuse not to read.

I've almost finished my Lynda B book. It is an easy book to read physically but a hard one, in places, mentally. I def know now I could never be as down to earth as she was. Her honesty is amazing. I would recommend it to anyone but you have to be in the right mental place to read it.

Still reading Lenn Goodman's book. What a gem. I love the area he's talking about and I'm sure my mum would recognise the upbringing he's describing. My nan came from the East End and my othernan from S.E.London. If I look carefully at the photos I may see a relative or two! It's written in the style of the Len we see on the TV whether in SCD or in his own prog taking a celeb back to a place in their past. We are not talking difficult read but it does provide a microcosm of an era that should not be forgotten or left unread. (Crikey. Last time I used the word microcosm was in my A Level English exam!!!)

Edited by SueM - 15 Jan 2015 at 13:03
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2015 at 16:04
Hey SueM.

Forgive me for putting my oar in but... antibiotics deplete the immune system.
I speak from (painful) experience. I just wish someone had told me.

Edited by Jo Bird - 15 Jan 2015 at 16:07
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
SueM View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote SueM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2015 at 21:08
You stick your oar where you like petal. Unfortunately I have tried everything as had this cough for ages. I take a dose of tablets. It disappears then 1-2 weeks later we're back to where we started. Docs don't like giving me the tablets but know until they get to bottom of it they're all that work. Got to have a spirometry test as soon as I have been drug free and cough free for 6 weeks. Haven't been able tobook one in for 2.5 years so far due to roller coaster of cough and no cough!

Pru mynurse has said take this lot, book an appt for 6 weeks time when I've finished them and then we'll go for it whether I'm hacking or not. She's not expecting a good result but there you go!

Whe I went to hospital to see a consultant, they asked me if I could have unknowingly swallowed a pea!!! I said, as politely as poss, if I had unknowingly done it how could I know?

Tried your previous advice. Didn't work unfortunately. I was so hoping it would. Feel like I'm climbing Everest when I climb the stairs! Ridiculous! Hate it. Only good thing. I can read my books.

Thanks for caring petal.Perhaps you could come across here and be my GP! XXX
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2015 at 08:04
Sorry SueM. Hope you find a way back to good health.

Back on topic... Have you heard of Patrick Holford?
He's written books on all sorts of health issues.

There are two in particular I found helpful...
Beat Stress & Fatigue and Boost your Immune System.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
SueM View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote SueM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2015 at 20:05
No, not heard of Patrick Holford. I'll do a browse on Amazon and see what I can download on to my Kindle. If he beats my stress at the moment I'll love him (and you!) forever.

Finished LB book. Cannot believe she is not with us anymore. Well written with seldom any self pity. There's an earlier book of hers I might now download. Be interesting to compare the two - the pre and post health news. Got Graham Norton's auto for Xmas, and the David Suchet book on Poirot. Also got a Downton Abbey book. Think I'll go back to Rizzoli and Isles and finish that one before I start any other book.

Len Goodman's is a dip in dip out book. Have downloaded The Winter Siege by D W Bradbridge and The Widow Makers by Jean Mead.

Joined the new Amaazon Unlimited doberry and looked at crits etc and picked these 2 to try. Also downloaded some Skinny recipe books but won't bore you with them, although the soup one is very good.

Just off to count minnows. Goldfish doing very well but sure I've lost 2 gold and one brown minnows. Can't count the buggers as they are hard to train!! Not in to sit and wait much! XX
SueM View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote SueM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2015 at 20:12
Just downloaded one of his books. Think I've heard him on Radio 4 and Radio 5 Live. Also on This Morning. Thanks Jo. XXX
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2015 at 20:56
well I love history and just got my mitts on Thomas Cromwell biography - fascinated to read about him he was the man wheeling and deaaling behind Henry VIII's back encouraged him to form the church of england and break from Rome and kill Anm Boleyn etc all for grabbing power - which his gt gt nephew Oliver achieved years later

will get to fiction after this
SueM View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote SueM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2015 at 21:09
Sounds a good book Bren. Read The White Queen before Christmas and couldn't put it down. I usually go non fiction then fiction etc. Love the Henry V111 era. Do you feel Anne Boleyn was badly treated? I do. The Lady Jane Grey book had me in tears. The poor girl
SueM View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote SueM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 17:51
Bren - have you seen the 2 new books that are coming out end of Jan?
No 1 - Lady Katherine Knollys: The Unacknowledged Daughter of King Henry V111 and No 2 Henry V111's Last Love: The Extraordinary Life of Katherine Willoughby, Lady in Waiting to the Tudors.

2nd one only due out in hardback at mo so will wait for it to come out for Kindle. Will get first one at end of Jan.

2nd one interesting in fact that it would appear if Henry had not died when he did he'd have divorced Kath P and married Kath W.

Look interesting for you and me. Are you warm enough where you are? Take care. XXX
SueM View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote SueM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 16:06
What a crap night. Got a call at half twelve from one of the carers in my mum's complex. She had a fall at 23.30 and paramedics were there getting her to the hospital. Got up and we drove down there. 5 hours later it was established that she has broken her hip! Very scary as she is 85.

All she'd done was lose her balance when she turned her tv off at set. That's cutting a long story short - for once for me I hear you say.

Hope you are all ok. XXX
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>