I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Celebritain.com Entertainment Forum > Television and Film
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A place to call home

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A place to call home
    Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 18:28
Aussie period drama on BBC2.

I haven't had time to watch all of it...
but what I have seen is great TV.

Have you seen it Margi?
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2014 at 12:40
It's a great show. It's filmed at a property near Camden called 'Camelot', which is only about 10km from here. In fact 2 members of my church were extras in it. There is a scene at a church fete in one of the early episodes where an older man is carrying a ladder to help set up. That's Fred from my church. I also know some others who were extras. One lady I used to work with 20 years ago and both she and Fred had been mayors of Camden at different times. They chose Camden and surrounds as some of the rural housing look like they have been in a time warp.

The production itself has it's own cliff hangers. Channel 7 commissioned the series and it was produced in 2012. They then announced that due to its success, a second series had been commissioned and was filmed in 2013. Then there were rumours that a third series was in the pipeline, but industry insiders were saying that none of the cast members had been signed up for a third series. The writers were working on a third series, then channel 7 axed the show, even though it was popular, but not with demographics that they wanted. The writers had to rewrite the ending so the show had an ending that supposedly tied up all loose ends, but it didn't really make sense in line with the characters story lines.
That was the production cliffhanger. Step in people power. Petitions and Facebook pages dedicated to having Channel 7 reverse their decision went into full swing. Six or seven months later people power won, but only if we have pay TV. Foxtel pay TV had agreed to resurrect the show with the original characters. They will show the first 2 series again, with the ending for series 2 as intended by the writers. This is the annoying part for me, as they will make at least one more series, but they have contracted Channel 7 to produce and film it. Unless I have pay TV I won't be able to watch it.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 06:34
I told my friend Fred that the show was now on TV in the UK. He wondered which version you would see for the end of series 2.
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 18:18
Thanks for the info Margi.

That's great there's a third series... but bad news it's not on freeview.

The BBC showed series one and two back to back in six weeks
so I guess we got the original ending...

I'm midway thru series two on I-player. It's brilliant TV.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 19:06
I've just finished Margi... I cried at the end.

There are still so many loose ends and only
a few hints given in the episode with elderly Sarah.

I'd love to see the original ending and the next series.

Edited by Jo Bird - 05 Jan 2015 at 19:09
SueM View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote SueM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2015 at 10:49
Originally posted by Jo Bird

I've just finished Margi... I cried at the end.

There are still so many loose ends and only
a few hints given in the episode with elderly Sarah.

I'd love to see the original ending and the next series.

Missed this one. What's it called?
Never be flat. Never be sharp. Always be natural.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2015 at 03:28
Sue - the series is called 'A Place to Call Home', set in the 1950s in Sydney (at the beginning) and then in a rural setting, with a big mansion.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2015 at 03:38
Jo - its a good series and I wish Channel 7 had continued with a 3rd series so we could really see what should or could have happened. Its the irony of Ch 7 making the next series for Foxtel. The ending really raises more questions than answers.

Period dramas set in the 1950s and 60s seems to be the in thing now. I think Mad Men started the trend. I am currently watching the "Indian Doctor" set in the 1950s or 60s in Wales. I love "Call the Midwife", but the next series will be shown on pay TV on BBC First, not on the govt funded (no ads) free to air ABC in Australia where the previous series were aired. The govt slashed ABC's funding and a lot of staff have been given redundancies and I expect a lot of first run TV shows that are produced by the BBC and normally shown on the ABC will go to BBC First now.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2015 at 20:40
I can't believe i missed this thread
loves this, series 2 just finished here before xmas on bbc2.
Series 3 coming this year with an alternative ending i believe (episode 10 changed i presume)

I am a member of APTCH closed group on facebook,   it's great for all the info, and the campaign to get it back worked it seems!!

We'll probably get series 3 a lot later than you.
I'll now have to order the first series on DVD
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SAPTCH/   if case you on FB

Edited by deborah31 - 08 Jan 2015 at 20:42
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2015 at 20:49
http://www.acorndvd.com/dvd/coming-soon/a-place-to-call-home-s1.html

must purchase this as didn't see series one, when Sara arrives on the boat I believe
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2015 at 21:48
SueM... Series 2 is still on I-player. Not for long tho.

Margi... I like Indian Doctor and Call the Midwife.

Deb... Thanks for the link. Will deffo buy the DVD's.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2015 at 23:11
I'm looking forward to the new Channel 4 drama Indian Summers coming soon, starring Julie Walters etc.. set in India 1930's, before Independence.
It's a 10 episode mini-series.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2015 at 00:06
Deborah the ending to series 2 will be different to lead into series 3 for APTCH once it goes into production.

If you watched series 2, my friend Fred from church was holding Sarah's hand when they danced the Hokey pokey.
When we watched the show we were doing a 'where's Fred?' in the crowd scenes. I expect he will be an extra, plus the others I know who were also extras, in series 3. The other spotting we did was the places they used such as the river, dams and some of the roads. In series 1, they used part of the Rocks area for the arrival scene for Sarah.

Edited by MargiABC - 09 Jan 2015 at 00:12
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2015 at 05:08
Just a bit of trivia the actor who plays Rene is really Marta's (Sarah) real life husband.
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 09:31
Margi... If your friend Fred's an extra in series 3... will you ask him to spill the beans please?
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 19:29
I read that production for series 3 starts in March.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>