I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reality TV > Strictly Come Dancing 2017 > Strictly Frocks
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Week 10: Yellow Peril

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Week 10: Yellow Peril
    Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 18:41

Week 10 see’s us going around the world (sigh). I’ve had enough of these theme weeks, I don’t think you need them, dancing is exciting enough without making the dancers look ridiculous either by a stupid costume or questionable choreography. And you can get rid of the backing dancers too!

But I remind myself that I’m here to review the frocks, some of which are very lovely and all of which have been slaved over by ladies who probably go home every evening with pin-pricked fingers and glitter in unexpected places!

First up is …

Pixie: looking like a Disney version of Heidi.  The pink and blue colourway is very girly and just a little on the childish side for a young woman.  The sot and unstructured top was fresh looking and I liked the cutaway at the back, which stopped the whole thing from looking too milkmaid-ish, but I did like Pixie’s hair done in those plaited buns, very contemporary but tidy and it left her neck and shoulders very clean looking.  Not bad, just a bit frou-frou for my taste.

Karen: so we have a Vegas showgirl, in pink and purple.  Great colour combination and the cutaway sides really showing off Karen’s figure, although it was about an inch too long in the body for her.  Normally I like a bit of feather on a frock, they move with the slightest action and will bounce along quite happily, but this was just one big bunch of feathers and I wasn’t convinced that this was the right way to go.  Firstly, they were too dark. A lighter colour would have had more definition and you would have been able to see more detail and some variation in colour.  Also they just kind of sat there in a bunch and didn’t really do anything to enhance Karen’s hip action.  Not a bad frock by any stretch, just not thought through.

Sunetra: wafty, floaty dresses are DSI’s ‘go to’ design for a Rumba and you do see a lot of this kind of frock on the circuit, but you have to be careful with the styling or you’ll end up looking either like you’re wearing your nightie or you got caught in the curtains. Luckily Sunetra’s was beautiful in it’s simplicity.  Lovely shaping on the bejewelled bodice, into an empire line which really complimented her figure, as it nipped in just under the bust.  The layers of chiffon in varying shades and a shaped hemline added interest to what was a plain bottom half, but this was a good move, as it didn’t fight with the bodice.  Very nice indeed.

Caroline: ah balance is restored in the universe.  She got a lovely glamourous frock to wear in Week 9 so in Week 10 she gets this yucky yellow creation.  Shimmy dresses are usually fabulous, but I found the colour of this too distracting and not even the clever bit of graduated shading in the beading saved it.  Caroline also has a thickish waist and the overall look would have been improved with the addition of a darker belt, to cinch her in a bit and break up the expanse of yellow.  But really, that yellow body stocking should be made illegal, I’m struggling to think of anyone who would could carry it off without looking jaundiced.  Dreadful, let’s move on.

Kristina: lovely delicate buttercream colour that looked delightful on the floor, but just didn’t look that great with her colouring. This was an old fashioned silhouette, with a plain skirt and a simply cut bodice, and the gown was all the more lovely for it.  I think simplicity is vastly underated when it comes to dress design. The little ruffles over the neckline were very feminine and added movement to the top half, I liked the way they hung away from Kristina’s back when she was in hold, swaying and fluttering beautifully.  The only thing I didn’t totally like was the ribbon at the waist, tied into a bow.  But the dress danced very nicely. 

Frankie: another shimmy dress but this time done properly. Actually a playsuit, the use of red and orange together providing faceted colour, with lots of depth.  The purple ribbon striped really standing out against the orange and defining Frankie’s waist.  A nice and tidy frock, which popped on the floor and showed Frankie to her best advantage.  I wasn’t over keen on Frankie’s newly acquired flowing locks. Far too fussy and all that hair whipping around looked messy and fought with the ress. 

Janette: oh this was a very confused concept wasn’t it?!  Who thought that a Greek inspired Argentine Tango was a good idea?  Usually the frock of choice for an AT is something stark or severely cut in dark colours, purple, black or scarlet, with heavy and intricate embellishments, so it was quite a surprise to see this white cocktail dress!  Nicely cut, the split in the right place to allow Janette’s lovely legs to do their thing and the blue belt just enough to prevent the ensemble from looking too clinical.  Neat, fresh looking and very unusual.

Overall this has been a abit of a meh week. No real stunners, just a few that were 'nice' plus the hideous yellow monstrsity.  So for my favourites from this week, I’m going for Sunetra’s in the latin and Kristina’s in the ballroom.  How about you?

Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.
 Post Reply Post Reply