I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reality TV > Strictly Come Dancing 2017 > Strictly Frocks
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Week 9; Lots of Gorgeousness

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Week 9; Lots of Gorgeousness
    Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 18:38

After a hiatus on the sparkly side of life I was keen to get back in the saddle and so I have arrived in Week 9 courtesy of the iPlayer.  Reflecting on frocks past, I think that DSI have tipped the scales firmly in their favour, there being fewer doozies this series than in previous years. With renewed enthusiasm I sallied forth to see what DSI were serving up in this week.  First up is …..

Ola: Save the cheerleader, save the world. Ola predictably fetched up in a sparkly two-piece, but since this wasn’t a themed week I’m struggling to make sense of the dress.  If they were Jiving to something like ‘Mickey’ (“oh Mickey you’re so fine etc etc”) then I could understand the use of a cheerleaders outfit, but there wasn’t anything to tie the theme together.  After the latest pregnancy rumours I think it was just a plot to get her flashing her freshly toned tum.

Caroline: she’s had a fair number of grim dresses, so it was nice to see her in this more glamorous offering. I could have done without the splits in the skirt, but it danced nicely enough. I very much liked the cowl at the back, it’s hard to come up with something new and unique and sometimes things work and sometimes they don’t, but I think the cowl lent a bit of movement to the top half without getting in the way of the mans hand and spoiling the frame.  A good alternative to floats.   Anyway, black and white is a classic combination and always looks striking and I thought Caroline looked very good.

Pixie: lovely bodice, cut very nicely to be quite a buttoned up look for the front with a more daring back. The stoning was superb and I loved the strands of beads radiating out over the sides, my only gripe is that I felt the fringing was too short and the skirt was insubstantial as a result and did not dance at all. It fitted the Charleston theme, but it wasn’t much of a proper latin frock.

Karen: gorgeous blue colour which Karen carried very well, and I loved the cut of this dress, those panels travelling the length of the dress really elongating the look.  The light/dark effect on the panels is achieved by alternating the right and wrong sides of the material.  It’s an interesting technique which really enhances the beautifullines of the dress.  It did remind me of Natalie Gumede’s Smooth frock in respect of colour and overall silhouette. It danced nicely enough, albeit on the thin side.

Frankie: how lovely to see her in this frock, she does suit the prom length dresses (this girl must be a dream to design for) but she really can carry a full on ballroom gown.  Red is a great colour on her and I loved the lacy overlaid top, Natalie Lowe wore a similar one earlier in the series.  The wide sleeves giving a boxy look to the top when she went into hold, which balanced the bottom very well.  Great skirt, the feathered hem making Frankie’s movements look effortless.  The waistline was a little severe and some shaping might have been nice, but overall this was a lovely mover.  

Janette: the skirt with a mind of it’s own! I LOVED this skirt!  Placed just at the right bit of Janette’s body to enhance her hip action, the feathers floated and whipped about with such abandon.  And what a gloriously juicy colour too.  The bodice was ostensibly kept to a very plain and straightforward cut, anything else would have been overkill.  Thecamouflage style fabric was unusual, but with some complementary stoning it worked very nicely.  It was just  flat out a party dress, befitting for a Samba certainly, but would dance equally well in any other latin dance. 

Sunetra: what a beautifully understated frock. The cocoa colour is an unusual choice but it works on Sunetra and the band of stoning around the edge of the bodice was simple yet effective in defining the line of her body.  The fur trim at the hem of the skirt was another unusual touch, but the weight it added to an already full and weighty skirt, made it  dance so much better than the thinner frocks earlier in the evening, when Sunetra span around, the skirt just rippled beautifully. Well done DSI, what a stunner.

Kristina: a wishy washy colour which didn’t do Kristina any favours. I liked the criss crossed fabric across the front, contrasting with the low cut back, but there was very little else to commend this frock I’m afraid. It was a poor colour choice for Kristina, far too pale and under the lights it wasn’t doing her any favours. Given the fast pace of the dance and some of the more acrobatic moves, the skirt was better off being on the short side, but then of course it means less dress to use to enhance the moves.

There were some gorgeous gown this week, with the show being topped and tailed with questionable choices!  My favourite was Sunetra’s in the balloom and Janette’s for the latin.  What were yours? 

Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.
 Post Reply Post Reply