I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reality TV > Strictly Come Dancing 2017 > Strictly Frocks
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Week 3: At the Movies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Week 3: At the Movies
    Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 18:53

And so we move on to the movies in week 3 which previously has been the first of the theme weeks.  Not so this series, as from the first show there have been nods and acknowledgements to the professions and/or heritage of our celebs. EG Judy in tartan, Gregg in whites, Scott ‘dancing’ to Rock DJ (and yes Mr SCD musical director, I see what you did there).  You get the drift.

There is no shortage of inspiration to be had from the movies . Think Keira Knightly in Attonement, Audrey Hepburn in Sabrina, Ginger Rogers in, well pretty much any dress she ever wore. So many glamourous gowns to pore over and adapt, so on with the motley, let’s take a look at what we ended up with…

Up first was Alison in another vibrant colour which she wears very well, this time given some variation by the paler underskirts.  Nicely proportioned, a good length on her and I really like these sleeves which provide coverage but are beautifully floaty.  If I’m honest, I didn’t especially like the bow at the front, but I did like that little bit of extra stoning on the ruched part of the bust. Very eye catching.

Ola: There are two things I don’t usually like: canary yellow and animal print.  Oh dear, Ola is wearing both!  I liked the overall silhouette of this frock, the sheer overlay skirt was a nice touch which added a little interest and I thought the tiger stripes from the crystal stones themselves was a fabulously creative feature, I really liked that.  The frock as a whole though wasn’t floating my boat because of the colour. I’m thinking orange might have worked a little better?   In any case, it danced very well.

Jennifer: the floaty layers of icy blue looked beautiful on Jennifer and I’m sure this was a perfectly lovely gown, but they stuck a denim pinny over it which spoilt the lot.  Was it meant to be off the shoulder, or did the weight of the pinny pull it that way?  We may not know.  I did catch a glimpse of it in the opening number and Jennifer was wearing a little ostrich feather cape, which was lovely and far nicer.  So while I know it was a nod to Meryl Streep’s  dungarees from the movie, I think it was unfair to make Jennifer dance in an apron!

Kristina: this just didn’t work.  This is meant to be Kelly McGillis in the trademark oversized white shirt, but teamed with that gold fringe dress however it just looked wrong, as if Kristina had been wearing it in ‘make up’ to protect her costume and had forgotten to remove it when taking the floor.  Ola and James danced a Rumba to this track in the 2011 series, she wore a silver leotard underneath and it looked much better.  Kristina should have been wearing either a spangled body stocking, or blue jeans.  This get up just didn’t make sense!

Judy: the moment I saw this I thought that’s a great frock.  Nice colour, great lines in the skirt, unfussy … and then she started to dance and I thought the poor woman has got caught up in the green room curtains, and has brought a bit of them with her.  What possible purpose was being served by those bits of material hanging down her back?  I wondered if they were meant to be floats caught at her wrists.  They would have been the wrong colour (and I HATE floats) but they would have at least made some sense.  If a last minute decision went against the floats (hurrah!) they should have been snipped at the waist.  Baffling!

Natalie: portraying a very vampish Sally Bowles and doesn’t Natalie look different with dark hair?! I liked that particular shade of blue with the black cobwebby overlay.  Fringed dresses like this can look insubstantial on the floor because the fringing just hangs straight down, there is no structure to it at all, so the wide sleeves giving almost a batwing-like effect  was very much needed to give the frock a little more floor presence. Natalie carried it very well even though she looked like she was wearing a dead raven on her head!

Caroline: Your basic shimmy dress with a bit of material hung over one shoulder. It didn’t make me think “Wow!” but then again, it didn’t make me think “What on earth?!” either.  A perfectly nice little number without the added drapery, I felt.  I did like how it changed from gold to silver on the way down but I don’t believe it needed the belt.  These frocks are really not hitting the mark yet.

Joanne: ah the little mermaid!  If you’re going to send a dancer out wearing a wig plus hairpiece then you’d better make sure it all stays put. I guess someone from ‘Hair and Make-up’ went home mortified on Saturday!  Not a bad little two piece frock, the crystal beads across the skirt making the most of Joanne’s hip action. The skirt was a bit ‘meh’ to be honest. There didn’t seem to be much of a structure there, just some layers of chiffon sewn in, but it bobbed around quite nicely.  The top half was lovely though and was doing all the work in this number.

Frankie: she must have been the one this series who fell in the remnants box wearing Velcro underwear.  This was a mish-mash of fabrics, styles and colours and while that can work, I don’t feel it did in this case. Frankie’s arms looked like overstuffed sausages in the too tight pink material, the dipped hem didn’t dance very well in this instance and the slightly shorter back on the bodice looked like they’d run out of material.  I would have preferred to have seen Frankie in the Rita Moreno frock from the movie, she would have looked amazing. What a shame.

Janette:  back to the old style glamour of the 1930’s – long, sleek and a very stylish colour combination. This danced nicely despite the thinnish skirt, and the corset effect of the gold scrolling at Janette’s waist was a lovey feature.  The shimmering strands of bugle beads across Janette’s back which caught the lights really well and because there wasn’t a great deal of the gold decoration on the back of the bodice, it was definitely needed for interest.  In previous series the lines of these sorts of frocks (close fitting, thin satin etc) have been ruined by mike packs shoved inside the dress.  I’m happy to see that they seem to have stopped doing this. None of the frocks yet have been spoiled by sound equipment!

Pixie: I know she’s meant to be Belle, but the hair department do seem to be hell bent on making the girl look older by styling her hair in such old fashioned ways.  There’s not a lot to say about this frock – it was a nice short prom style shape, another one who danced in an apron, but at least hers was frilly and wasn’t a distraction!  But I can’t make out what was going on with his … when Pixie was twirled and the skirts flew up, you could see that the sparkly bodice extended below the skirts. It looked like a mini dress with a skirt tied on top.  Maybe it was another case of DSI rehashing costumes to arrive at something that will do for a theme week (because let’s face it, some of these theme frocks are never going to be sold on are they?!).  Not awful by any stretch though, and it actually danced very nicely.

Iveta: a little like a couple of lampshades stacked on top of each other.  Not over keen, there wasn’t a lot of movement in this frock, it didn’t dance well at all and it didn’t do anything for Iveta’s shape either.  I have always loved Ann Miller’s green dress from the movie this song came from (On the Town). How I wish Iveta could have worn something like that. And maybe have danced a lovely Quickie instead of a Charleston (which would just about have been possible by sticking to syncopated steps!)

Sunetra: Fab-u-lous!  At last a red frock that I love! Beautiful lines and flow in this dress, danced really well, thanks to the weight in the skirt and the feathered trim at the hem. Sunetra looked so striking against Brendan’s perfect foil of black tails … actually can we just stop for a moment to appreciate Brendan cutting a very fine figure in a smart pair of tails as opposed to schlepping around the floor in shirt and trousers? Lovely, thank you.  Right, back to Sunetra … A very light touch with the stoning, just following the ruching and the shoulder seams, kept the look very elegant. It didn’t need any more. 

Karen: oh my, where do I begin?! This was a bad idea that shouldn’t ever have seen the light of day outside the DSI brainstorming session!  It was nothing more than a ballroom practice skirt wrapped around a stock bodice.  Although it did look nice when Karen was twirled on the floor and the skirt fanned out to reveal the colours.  All I can say is that Karen is a very game girl.

Well then, that was a curate’s egg of a week wasn’t it?  I said in my last post that we had yet to see DSI really come up with the goods, but another week has gone by and I’m not convinced their heart is in it anymore. It must be difficult to come up with so many designs each year, I mean I used to design my own dresses  and would use the same basic template for them all because if something works well once, and all that, so to an extent I can forgive, or at least understand that some frocks are looking like they have been rehashed from group dance costumes. But in movie week, I’m hoping for something more glam than a lot of the ladies got stiffed with.

I don’t have a favourite latin this week, so I’m going for a double ballroom favourite of Janette’s Godfather gown and Sunetra’s scarlet woman!

Edited by Bren - 16 Oct 2014 at 23:47
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 23:55
thanks Thess another great blog was disappointed with most of the dresses this week and Sunetra's was my fave
littlesue View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote littlesue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 10:48
Sunetra's was my fave too, hate the way the women dancers wearing those dresses cutaway with those straps down the side, imagine any normal sized women wearing thoseShocked all those bumps hanging between each strapBig%20smile
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 11:46
haha agree sue you would not see the straps with me !!! :)
Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 12:32
I'm not a huge fan of them either Sue, even when the lady is positively sylph-like.

I was watching some Come Dancing clips from the 90's last night. Struck by how lovely some of the fashions were - particularly the cocktail dress stylings, with quite long and elegant skirts.   But you know, what goes around comes around, so I'm just waiting for the return of the 'strip skirt' (not as shocking as that sounds, by the way!)

Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 18:56
Laughing about Frankie in the remnants box
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
 Post Reply Post Reply