I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Chat
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Spiders

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spiders
    Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 18:52
Read in the paper there's lots of big spiders due to the mild weather. I just ran into a fairly big one. Help
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 12:57
My daughter has a fear of spiders, i don't know why,she is tougher than anyone i know, and always tells my son to 'grow some'!!
They don't really bother me, I've always been happy to pick them up with my hands and put them outside. Infact I had a huge one living in my bath for about 3 weeks (only use the shower)- they keep the other insects down i find. I no longer pick them up with my hands after reading about nasty bites etc.. and especially after living in Aus, usually the smaller they are the more deadlier.
I usually know when a spider has been found in the house from my daughter screaming??!!!!I know we shouldn't but me and my son find it very amusing!!- especially as she is usually the one to be telling us to toughen up, and she is the one that does all the extreme sports/rides etc...
I guess fear of spiders is just irrational??
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 17:05
I know how your daughter feels Deb. I can't touch them... let alone move them.
If I'm alone I'll ask the neighbour to help me. He probably thinks I'm a wimp

Forgot to say... Spiders don't like conkers. I put them all over the house.

Edited by Jo Bird - 25 Sep 2014 at 20:49
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 23:31
I'm not scared of huntsman spiders or daddy long leg spiders in Australia. Huntsman spiders can be up to 10 centimetres in size ( the ones I have seen have been slightly smaller), and are good for keeping insects down. If one comes into the house I catch them with a glass jar and take them outside into the garden. I accidentally picked one up once. I was opening the car door and I felt something sticky on my fingers. My first thought was to flick it off, thinking someone placed chewing gum under the door handle. When it was still on my hand I looked at it and found a huntsman on my fingers. I had to use a stick to get off as the stickiness was the suction pads on its feet. Yukky. Deborah's correct in saying there are some dangerous spiders in Australia other than those two. Red back, white tail, trap door and funnel web spiders are the main ones to avoid here. There is anti venim for their bites. Someone has to milk the spiders in order to make the anti venim syrum. Luckily I've never come across the last 2 except in a spider display at the museum.

Edited by MargiABC - 25 Sep 2014 at 23:47
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2014 at 12:46
My hubby got bitten once in a changing room in Maroubra,NSW, I wondered why he was taking so long, it was in his jeans that he hung up in the outdoor(ISH)changing rooms. As he was the last one in (we were all wondering where he was till he shouted he'd been bitten by a spider on the thigh inside his jeans). I managed to catch it and we took it to the hospital with us. I think it was a white tip/spot??,from memory ,not deadly just leaves some swelling etc around the bite mark for a few days, more dangerous to young children and the elderly.
Another experience was staying a few nights in the Daintree rainforest, north of Cairns, we had a spider the size of our hands on the back of our door every night, a big hairy thing (we were staying in an outdoor hostel there)but had a sort of cabin type accomodation, everything and I mean everything ran/scurried around at night, first night did not sleep at all, after that too exhausted to worry. I only worried when the spider disappeared from it's usual place!

Edited by deborah31 - 26 Sep 2014 at 12:47
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 09:05
I had a spider bite last summer. To cut a long s. short: It turned septic and I ended up on antibiotics. I still have the mark of the bite today and it is sore in cold weather.
Inside every elderly person there is a young person wondering what the hell happened
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 12:18
it's strange isn't it re spider bites, i always picked up spiders as a child, no problems!- when did they start biting??? You hear terrible stories about how nasty spider bites can be these days.
(now i just capture them in a container of sorts and put them outside- or i leave them in my bathroom,to catch any insects in summer when i have my window open a little)
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 10:04
When I was a little girl, my best friend had a dad who was a polio victim. He spent months in an iron lung and eventually came home in a wheel chair, unable to move from the neck down.
One long school holiday, my pal David and I, through boredom, decided to catch flies in jam jars and aimed for 100. So there we were out in the garden and got to 50 and gave up through boredom. We let them all go and then went inside to see his dad. We told him what we had been doing and he said 'You let them GO! Those (expletive deleted) keep me awake all night because I can't swat 'em off!'Tongue
Inside every elderly person there is a young person wondering what the hell happened
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 10:20
Shooing / swatting flies with one's hand is the great Aussie salute!
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 17:10
Originally posted by MargiABC

Shooing / swatting flies with one's hand is the great Aussie salute!

ha..ha.. especially in Melbourne, drove me mad whenever i went there!!
 Post Reply Post Reply