I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Chat
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

old ways/new ways

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
moonshine View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote moonshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: old ways/new ways
    Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 15:59
I started doing voluntree work back in april this year

when i started we had a straight forward  till that even a two year old would be able to work.

Now the charity in their wisdom are buying into new technology wjth an almost state of the art till that would not look out of place on the space station so instead of it taking a few seconds to ring up half a dozen books and three tops we now have to swipe then key in the price....find the right key for what it is key in the price again  tell the customer how much key in what they have given us in money wait for the till to tell you if there is any change needed

We never had any ques for the till before now we are backed out the door.... they said years ago techlonogy was about to make our lives easier ..this week  its made it more stresfull

oh to go back to the time when you had to use your brain to add up
moonshine
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 16:24
tell me about it moonshine -  really miss some of the old things
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 17:05
Hey moonshine.

I like old telephones. The ones you turn the dial round with your finger. My Grannie used to have one when I was a girl. More fun than buttons.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 17:28
me too I have an old bakerlite phone (1950's) in my bedroom - my 14yr old nephew could not believe it was a phone when he was little :))
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 09:21
Is it still working Bren?

The oldest thing I own is a radio/cassette player about 30 years old.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 09:26
yeah it is converted Jo but  only good for answering the phone which is all i do up stairs
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 16:21
I did the groceries the other day and the was a sign at the entrance to the supermarket as well as announcements every ten minutes that the EFTPOS system was not working due to technical issues. Customers could only pay by cash. I mentioned to the girl at the register that it was like the old days before credit cards. I didn't tell her that in the old days the price of the goods had to be individually inputted into the register, no scanning and the register didn't display how much change was due. Good old mental arithmetic was needed.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 16:34
I don't know how many people were put out by this, but there are 2 other supermarkets in the shopping complex. I know of a couple of people who no longer carry any cash with them and only use EFTPOS. I just happened to go to the ATM before shopping, so I wasn't caught out. I remember the old days queuing up at the bank for 15 to 30 minutes before 5 pm on a Friday just to withdraw some money. The queuing I can definitely do without.
moonshine View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote moonshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2014 at 15:23
well training now over....till up and running ....well sort of we are ment to have our omn numbers to use till well no one numbers work i resorted to brain power and pen and paper for the afteroon.... till just sat blinking at me saying i di not exist....it didnt after i pulled the plug
moonshine
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 19:05
Originally posted by moonshine

till just sat blinking at me saying i di not exist....it didnt after i pulled the plug

Nice work Moonshine.
 Post Reply Post Reply