I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Chat
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Commonwealth games

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Commonwealth games
    Posted: 04 Aug 2014 at 07:19
Probably a bit late to post, since it's all over, but I really enjoyed watching the Commonwealth Games this year. It may have something to do with how well Australia did in the medal count. At least the lessons learned at the last Olympics made the swimmers do very well. Of course I have to concede that at the Olympics there are those countries that always do well that are not part of the Commonwealth.
I still remember my short time in Scotland 2years ago and seeing parts of Scotland on TV made it all come back.
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2014 at 15:14
I enjoyed the games too Margi... especially the gymnastics and the diving.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 02:03
When I was watching the men's cycling early on in the games, I recognised the name of one of the Australian cycling team members, Jack Bobridge. His surname is the same as my sister's mother-in-law's maiden name. He is a distant relative on her father 's side of the family. He won 2 gold medals, one for a team cycling event and one for an individual cycling event.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2014 at 13:30
I did watch quite a bit of it,
I did think the Opening ceremony was a bit bonkers if you asked me tho!!!

Apart from the Scottish singer (female?) who's name escapes me
- there was John Barrowman (lived out of Scotland - over 40 years i reckon- adapts the accent again when it suits!!- that 'Gay kiss' too!!!

The girls carrying teacakes around over their heads?? what was all that about??
and of course Rod Steward (another LA resident, and UK tax avoider- dropped in for 2 mins of weak singing)

I did enjoy it, altho tbh, it did seem a bit flat without the Americans and Russians!!

Don't the American's qualify, didn't we also suppress the North States of America at some point, it must of been 'pink ' surely at one time!!!

Really it should be called, the 'Ex Colonies' games, or the Countries we once upon a time ravaged and pilfered!!!.

maybe a 100 years from now , they'll all be frienly in GAza/Israel, and we'll have the GAZA games!!!!!- just saying!!
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2014 at 13:34
ps, my son as a Canadian/Aus/English citizen, was not sure who to support, usually one of his team won!!
LOL, at least the Queen is the common denominator still.

We (in this house_) all said we would of preferred 'land of hope and glory' than 'Jerusalem' anyway .........

Had to love Usain Bolt, dancing to the Proclaimers tho, shame they didn't put in an appearance, probably the only Scot(s) i would have appreciated .

Looking forward to the Gold Coast games next!!
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 09:26
I laughed out loud when JB sang in a scottish accent

Agree about the anthem Deb... Land of Hope and Glory or I Vow to Thee My Country.
Not quite sure why Jerusalem is the English anthem. Anyone know?

Edited by Jo Bird - 08 Aug 2014 at 09:27
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2014 at 12:40
Have to agree about Rod Stewart, his singing hasn't improved with age. Deborah - if your son went for England and Australia, what a combined medal count it would be. At least they were the top 2 nations in the medal count.
I didn't know John Barrowman was Scottish until the opening ceremony.
 Post Reply Post Reply