I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Chat
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sochi Olympics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Eviesmum View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac
Twilight Mad

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Eviesmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sochi Olympics
    Posted: 24 Feb 2014 at 11:13
I caught some of this.

I didn't see much of the ice skating though, did see the women's short and long routines.  I thought the Russian girl who won was amazing and deserved her gold medal.  Her short routine was the best I've seen in ages.

I really enjoyed all the snowboard events too.  The slopestyle on both board and skis was very exciting. 

And of course Lizzie Yarnolds skeleton racing was great to watch.

I didn't watch the opening or closing ceremonies though, they are too long IMO.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2014 at 10:56
I haven't watched it yet - recorded it. I will skip through the bits that could be boring.
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2014 at 09:20
What are we going to do now it's over Toots?
What's Murray up to? I've lost track...
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2014 at 08:14
Closing ceremony

Apart from the ballet which I found  a joy to watch (I am a ballet nut) I was bored stupid after half an hour. Too much culture for me
Inside every elderly person there is a young person wondering what the hell happened
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2014 at 16:04
When I was working, we had an exchange thing going with Australia. Their doctors and nurses came over here and ours went over there. I have never worked with an Australian I didn't like. Great people.
Inside every elderly person there is a young person wondering what the hell happened
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2014 at 09:18
We have got rinks in different parts of Sydney, but to get to that level of competition, they train overseas. I heard the commentator saying that the Australian ice dancers have been together for a long time, are from Sydney but train in Detroit. There are skating clubs that skaters belong to and train linked to the some of the rinks.

Back in 2006 after the first Dancing on Ice in the UK, T & D came to Australia and did an Australian version of DOI, called Torvil and Dean's Dancing on Ice. Disappointingly, it was only on that year. You can stll find some YouTube clips of the routines. The routines and costumes were very similar to the first DOI in the UK - they brought everything out with them. They also brought out Matt Evers, Kristina Lenko and 2 other skaters who were a couple, from the first DOI. The rest of the skaters were from Australia, but not necessarily born in Auatralia such as Maria Filipov and Pav (I can't remember his full name, but he did 2-3 DOI series in the UK.)

Australia has too much of a beach /swimming culture to use ice skating to cool off in summer Jo. In my street every 2nd or 3rd house has a backyard swimming pool to cool off in. We don't - its to much work to look after, plus strict regulations to prevent backyard pool drownings. Ice skating is more of a novelty here, although my sister's godmother went into the amateur icecapades at the ice rink near her home when she was in her 50s. They put on an annual show. She is now in her 70s and still likes to get onto the ice now and then.

Edited by MargiABC - 20 Feb 2014 at 09:42
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2014 at 21:51
Originally posted by MargiABC

It was the first time our ice dancers got to the free skate part of the event.

It's a super routine. Loved the music and outfits.

Is ice dance popular in Australia Margi? Are there many rinks?
I'm wondering if people go there to cool down in the summer...

Edited by Jo Bird - 19 Feb 2014 at 21:53
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2014 at 14:57
Thanks Toots.
In an interview, Jana said she ate for Australia as she put on 11 kg to her thin frame to build up the bulk and muscle to get the bobsled going.
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2014 at 09:14
I saw it Margi and thought of you.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2014 at 02:56
We had another Australian first today. Jana Pittman is the only Australian athlete to have competed at the summer and winter Olympics. She was in track and field athlete in the summer games and decided to train to be a bobsledder. I think she has now retired from track and field events.
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 12:23
I didn't know that about your ice dancers Margi.  Australia's doing well isn't it?
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 11:19
I am really happy with how Australia has done over the last few days. A bronze in the women's aerials and a silver in the men's aerials. It was the first time our ice dancers got to the free skate part of the event.
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 08:26
Seen it! Great wasn't it? I really enjoyed it.
Did anyone watch the men's ski jumping last evening? Awesome! I've also thought that skating must be a wonderful feeling, like being able to fly. I reckon that jumping must be a similar feeling.
I had to be , in my job, competent   enough to do a parachute jump in an emergency. That was a lovely feeling too once I had got over the terror. Thank the lord I only had to know how to do one.
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2014 at 21:37
Originally posted by Toots

Originally posted by Jo Bird

Yeeees. Top ten place for the Brits   
And thoroughly deserved, my neighbour tells me. I have been out all day

Hope you'll be able to see it Toots. Fun routine
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2014 at 17:31
Originally posted by Jo Bird

And thoroughly deserved, my neighbour tells me. I have been out all day
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2014 at 16:41

Edited by Jo Bird - 17 Feb 2014 at 17:03
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>