I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reality TV > Dancing on Ice 2014
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Performance v Technique

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Performance v Technique
    Posted: 03 Feb 2014 at 09:21
I feel DOI values performance over technique.

Those who perform well are warmly praised (and rightly so)...
but those who skate well are hardly praised at all for technique.

Anyone agree/disagree?

Edited by Jo Bird - 03 Feb 2014 at 12:37
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
thengp12 View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote thengp12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2014 at 21:22
I absolutely 100% agree Jo

They are actively told to gurn a la Susanna Reid and Natalie Gumede in the "fast" routines and pout a la Abbey Clancy in the "slow" numbers. Well half of the time i fail to distinguish between the two as they can both be painfully slow.

Let me use Beth as an example I might cause consternation on here but i honestly think she is a better skater than Ray and the rest with Sam possibly joint second WITH Ray. I can not see the Hayley fascination as i think her posture is pants and we are yet to see Suzanne fly (metaphorically) that is. But i digress back to Beth, because she refuses to join in with the gurn a thon like the others she will always be marked down. The same thing goes for Sam. Beth and Sam focus on the technique and the beauty of DANCING on Ice and if i was judging both of them would have received 10s already.

Kyran on the other hand, well, he is Crap at the dancing but because he can perform well gurn and be an utter bum lick to Karen and Robin. Thank god Jason hates him he will go further than Beth and Sam which i feel is a real shame as they BOTH could win but Robin and Karen do not like them. Dan is the same on the bum lick spectrum as Karen and Robin will not vote Hayley off EVER. And ALL of the icy elite four think the universe shines out of Ray's arse on judges comments alone would make the untrained eye like me think he is the ONLY one whom is competent.

On another point the celebs will never be technically brilliant as they are not given the time to get perfect as Beth said on Clare Balding's show on BT Sport last year they only get 10 yes TEN hours a week to train. They had Victoria Pendleton and Michael Vaughn on and said they trained for 30-40 hours. That is three/four times the DOI people get. A lot of that is T&D and Karen butting in and choreo and getting other couples trained up, so in that respect get rid of T&D and demote Karen to Judge ONLY and let the pros get on with it.

So to answer your Question Jo Performance is weighted higher than Technique
thengp12 reality show continues
🎭💃
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2014 at 22:05
they do not have long enough to get anywhere near good technique - they do the nearest they can - so performance does count to but it does in strictly as well

Gurning is not performance NGP its many other things and lets face it Beths idea of performance is to scowl on dramatic stuff and stamp around and very little else but she is improving in skating but arms and stuff need fixing stilll - Hayley gurns and needs to calm that down and of course leave go of Dan more.

Susanne and Ray have the right mix of both for me
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 00:47
Agree. Beth is one of the best skaters. Her step sequence was amazing.

I'd just like to see credit where's it due for skating skills...
especially from Robin and Karen who are there to judge these things.

Edited by Jo Bird - 04 Feb 2014 at 01:54
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Brekkie View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin

Quote Brekkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2014 at 21:07
The duel last week showed quite clearly that as Robin had the casting vote the skater always went through over the performer, and that happens in the skate off too thanks to Robin having the casting vote.

It's probably the fairest it's ever been now with a 50/50 split on the panel (and Ashley is by far the best "celeb" judge they've had and I do think Robin especially tries to point out the technical stuff in his critique.    One thing though I'm not liking this series though is the pre-dance VTs seem to be about their mothers, not the training - and I think they could be used more to advise viewers of who is doing the more technical skating.
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2014 at 21:47
agree Brekie
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2014 at 23:46
Originally posted by Brekkie

The duel last week showed quite clearly that as Robin had the casting vote the skater always went through over the performer.

For me Suzanne skated better than Ray and Beth better than Hayley.
Neither went thru. Performance won over skating skills.

Edited by Jo Bird - 09 Feb 2014 at 23:47
Brekkie View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin

Quote Brekkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2014 at 13:28
On the flip side though Sam and Bonnie gave better performances and lost out to Kyran and Gareth, so it works both ways.
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2014 at 16:03
True Brekkie I was so cross over Beth/ Hayley I didn't think about Sam/Kyran and Bonnie/Gareth. Ooops
 Post Reply Post Reply