I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reality TV > Strictly Come Dancing 2017 > Strictly Frocks
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Are We Nearly There Yet? : Week 11

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are We Nearly There Yet? : Week 11
    Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 16:17

We're out of the theme weeks and back to normality. Thank goodness - maybe now we can get back to some proper frocks!

Ola: a very typical Ola-style cutesy barely there two-piece!  Actually a lovely feminine coral colour which she carries very well, and the silver beads dripping from the bust sparkled crisply under the lights and added lots of movement during the shimmy's.  It reminded me of the early 80's style, with the narrow strip down the front, but of course no-one was wearing latin dresses that short back then!  It was a well behaved dress, that suited the dance being performed, no flying bits to get tangled up in, and Ola looked lovely.

Natalie: a dramatic colour combination that looked stunning on her. The bodice is gorgeous close up, with intricate scrolling stonework.  A lovely clean neckline with the little ruffled cap sleeves giving a sense of increased width up at the top to balance out the width in the skirt.  It was, of course, modelled on the bog standard ballroom gown pattern that has featured such a lot in this series, and so Natalie looked like she was dancing latin in a ballroom gown.  Too long for my taste, although still a beautiful frock.

Anya: they like wrapping her up in sheeting don't they?! I'm in two minds here, on the one hand she carried it well, the fabric fluttered delicately and it was nicely draped around her body.  On the other hand, the fabric was so sheer that it lost most of the colour definition against her skin and it looked a bit washed out. We've seen a lot of sheer fabrics placed over stonework in this series and it has looked beautiful, here however the stoneoworks was so lovely that it was a shame to have it covered up. Still, at least she didn't get her heels caught in this one!

Susanna:  oh dear, lots wrong with this frock.  As discussed in another thread, Susanna has good thighs but not especially long legs, so this length of skirt wasn't the most flattering for her and the belt followed by a change in material for the bodice cut her in half quite severely and shortened her bottom half.  If the bodice had been solid black it would have taken the eye upwards and elongated her body for a leaner look.  I wasn't keen on the colour blocking, the red back seemed unconnected with anything else that was going on.  I did like the cut of the skirt however, with the little kick-flare bottom and while I don't think it worked especialy well as a dance dress, for her, it would look very nice as a party dress.

Abbey: now we've already seen a version of this frock on Kristina, I liked it then and I like this one too!  It can sometimes be a huge mistake to dress a tall girl in white - well, in most pale colours - since it can look overwhelming, but the variations in the basic fabric of this dress provided some contrast to stop it looking too much.  I missed the crystal beads at the back, as worn by Kristina, which I had liked, but then it would have looked like a straight copy.  Great clean and elegant lines and it danced well. 

Sophie: the frock had to be pink really, didn't it?! Drawing on the costume in the Material Girl video for inspiration, this was a bit of a poor relation.  The colour was on the strong side for her, although personally I love it.  The under-arm decoration is back, which is a lovely touch, but that belt was at odds with everything.  What were they thinking?! I don't as a rule, like a ballroom frock with a belt, but if you must wear one, at least make sure it matches your frock!  A bit of a thin skirt which ended up flapping between her legs a bit.  Not a terrible frock by a long chalk, but at this stage I want to be blown away by the beautiful creations ..... and Sophies dress didn't do it for me.

So my favourites were Abbey's for the ballroom and that's it, no real stand out 'omg-that's-stunning' frocks for latin, but if pushed I'll choose Ola's and only because of those crystal drops.

After a great start to the series, DSI now seem to have rested on their laurels somewhat.  I'm warning you lot .... we better have stunning gowns for the final, or there'll be trouble! 
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.
thengp12 View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote thengp12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 19:05
Another great read
Agree 100%
thengp12 reality show continues
🎭💃
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2013 at 09:02
Thanks Thess.

Agree. I wasn't bowled over this week.
Had a little chuckle over Artem's trousers.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 16:14
Another great piece Thess.

Though Artem was a sport in those trousers.Couldn't get over how short he is. He reckons he's 5'8" That would make Brendan about 7'1" then
Didn't like Susanna's short dress, made her legs look chunky
Inside every elderly person there is a young person wondering what the hell happened
littlesue View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote littlesue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 18:13
Artem not short!! I have a photo took with my mate who is 5ft 8 and he is at least  2 or 3 inches  taller.  He is equal to Natalie in her heels and she is 5ft 8.5.  He looks about the same as Kevin from Grimsby.  
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 18:26
Artem is supposed to be 5ft 10 and natalie 5ft 8 so in shoes she is about 1/2 inch taller think she should wear lower heel if a problem,

Kev is a titch 5ft 8
littlesue View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote littlesue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 18:43
Bren when I did ballroom dancing as a child the Teacher always insisted the male should be at least 5 inches taller than the female so no going out of shape when they go under the arms, always felt sorry for the taller girls as they always had to be the boysBig%20smile They have had quite a few taller girl celebs this year with Sophie, Rachel, Abbey and Natalie so lucklily they brought the new bloke in to dance with Abbey!
 Post Reply Post Reply