I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Chat
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

50 years ago today

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 50 years ago today
    Posted: 22 Nov 2013 at 08:27
President Kennedy was killed and we all  can still remember where we were when we heard. I was coming home from girl guides. It was a dark bitterly cold November evening. Back then, parents could leave their teenagers to come home alone.  My mum used to come to the end of our lane to meet me and I can see her now. She was standing under one of the last old fashioned gas street lights. One of my fondest and cosiest memories by the way, is looking out of my bedroom window and seeing the lamp lighter come along on his bike and light the lamp ANYWAY... stop rambling Toots. As I got nearer she said 'President Kennnedy has been shot. Its rumoured he is dead'  The TV, black and white of course, just showed a picture of the globe turning while we waited for news updates

Edited by Toots - 22 Nov 2013 at 08:28
Inside every elderly person there is a young person wondering what the hell happened
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2013 at 20:18
was not yet 1!, so of course don't have any memories, and can't remember if my parents did either.
I can remember Elvis dying tho, that is my earliest TV 'death' anouncement memory.
(about 10pm at night- think it was on a black and white TV too)
 I heard re John Lennon, early on a work day, and found out more when I got to work.
For Diana I was heavily pregnant, watching all day in Australia (as Sunday afternoon there) and as soon as I could phone my sister in England at 7.00am!!!.
Michael Jackson- I was in Australia too!- with my sister!!!- if you'd told me this a few months earlier, I wouldn't have believed either of the two events (he was set to do the London gig , and in all my sisters's 63 years at the time, she had never ever had a passport and hadn't even gone as far south as London!!)
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2013 at 21:30
I am like you Deborah. I was 6 when JFK died and not aware of what was happening in the world. I do remember where I was and what I was doing when Elvis, John Lennon and Dianna died. I remember going to a photographic exhibition about 15 years ago and there was a photo of John and Yoko in this beautiful pose. It gave me chills when I saw the date - taken the day before he was killed.

Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2013 at 08:08
I also can remember where I was with most of those others but not Michael Jackson. When all the hooha started I thought 'Thank the lord. One less kiddie fiddler in the world'
Inside every elderly person there is a young person wondering what the hell happened
Catwoman View Drop Down
Royal Blue
Royal Blue
Dan's Diva

Quote Catwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2013 at 13:04
I wasn't born when John F Kennedy died. I remember where I was when I heard that Princess Diana had died and I remember where I was when I heard about Michael Jackson I was at home in Lancaster and I was on the Blue Room. 
 Post Reply Post Reply