I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reality TV > Strictly Come Dancing 2017 > Strictly Frocks
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Kiss Me Quick: Week 8

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kiss Me Quick: Week 8
    Posted: 21 Nov 2013 at 16:16
Salsa-addict: regarding your comments on flowing hair, I've been meaning to mention it but it bugs the hell out of me too!

Think back to last week when Ola wore that lovely blush pink gown and had her hair in a low chignon ... there were two loose bits flapping about at the front and together with the ponytail flying about, the whole look was so untidy. Abbey looks untidy up top most weeks too.

You are correct in what you say about hair styles back in the day.  When I competed, if you had long hair it went up in a bun. No exceptions. 

Now while hair flowing down the back may look aesthetically pleasing, short hair or an 'up do' enhances the lady's neckline and allows the carriage and top line to be easily seen. 
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.
Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2013 at 16:03
Originally posted by Bren

hahah I liked Kevin's best too!!!

great article Thess - oh we had some fun at the Winter Gardens over the years didn't we !!!
Wicked!  LOL 
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.
thengp12 View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote thengp12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2013 at 13:43
Originally posted by Bren

hahah I liked Kevin's best too!!!great article Thess - oh we had some fun at the Winter Gardens over the years didn't we !!!

Err jealous much
thengp12 reality show continues
🎭💃
thengp12 View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote thengp12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2013 at 13:42
Originally posted by Jo Bird

Originally posted by thengp12

I wonder what they will do with Aljaž i think Ashley's was great and modern and was tasteful. I like what they put Ashley in very modern, tasteful and the sort of thing i would wear on SCD

I bet you've got a cowboy outfit haven't you   

Jo deary I meant in terms of design and concept. Err my words are wasted on you ahahaha       
🎭💃
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2013 at 12:25
hahah I liked Kevin's best too!!!

great article Thess - oh we had some fun at the Winter Gardens over the years didn't we !!!
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2013 at 11:40
Originally posted by thengp12

I wonder what they will do with Aljaž i think Ashley's was great and modern and was tasteful. I like what they put Ashley in very modern, tasteful and the sort of thing i would wear on SCD

I bet you've got a cowboy outfit haven't you   
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
thengp12 View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote thengp12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2013 at 11:02
Another great article Thess would love if you included the male outfits (or the lack of) I think flowing hair shortens the neck and raises the "top line" Also having the hair flowing gives the top part of the dancer motion and the footwork slower and hair up gives the effect that the top half is still and makes the footwork seem quicker. I too loved Kevin's outfit too (you wouldn't catch Artem or Ben dead in that) I wonder what they will do with Aljaž i think Ashley's was great and modern and was tasteful. I like what they put Ashley in very modern, tasteful and the sort of thing i would wear on SCD
🎭💃
salsa-addict View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote salsa-addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2013 at 08:21
Originally posted by Jo Bird

My favourite outfit was Kevin's I liked Abbey's and Natalie's too.

I would agree about Abbey and Natalie having the nicest dresses. I especially liked Abbey's - though she would manage to look good in a sack! I also liked Fiona's dress - stoning cleverly gave her more of a waistline.

Dance experts - are there any rules regarding hair in dance competitions these days? I didn't like the way Sophie and Abbey both had loose hair in their QS because I think it tended to detract from the movement/lines of the dance (maybe a deliberate ploy to hide the bad?) I seem to remember that when I did a couple of competitions way back in the 70's we had to make sure our hair did not move at all when our heads moved.
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2013 at 07:45
My favourite outfit was Kevin's I liked Abbey's and Natalie's too.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2013 at 17:39
I absolutely adore Blackpool.  Yes, it has 'issues' but it also has two of the most beautiful ballrooms I have ever set my little sparkle-clad feet in Big%20smile

Having the show in the Tower Ballroom is exciting and gives the show an authenticity that is sometimes missing from a studio environment.  Blackpool is indeed the home of dancing and it was lovely to see this beautiful ballroom showcased on the TV, even though the really important dancing stuff happens at the Winter Gardens.  They are both stunning places to dance but given the choice my heart is most firmly entwined with the Winter Gardens, besides, the Tower floor is a biatch to dance on!

But onto the frocks and we were treated to a lovely selection this week as befitted the setting.  Here we go with the rundown ...

Sophie: quite a relief to see her in any other colour than red, this bright blue shade complimented her colouring well.  Nice contruction, very fluid lines with a little panelling in the body to give it some shaping while the ruched shoulders balanced the shape. It danced well.  Extremely restrained with the decoration and what I particularly liked, were the little bursts of stones at the sides, just under Sophie's arms.  The side view of a dress is often not properly considered when it comes to dress design, a lot of thought goes into the design of the front of a dress but ends up hidden by the man, but this area is always visible when the lady is in hold.  It was good to see a little design just for this area alone.

Anya: not a lot to this frock, gorgeous shimmery gold bugle beads enhancing and accentuating Anya's movements, but I'm in two minds about the feather half skirt.  On the one hand it embodied the Samba feel and bounced along wonderfully well, but on the other hand I think it's an 'add on' rather than a proper part of the dress and I wasn't keen on the colour combination, there being nothing at the front of the dress to tie the colours together, I feel it would have been a more cohesive look if the feather had been browns or bronze colours. And, of course, she got her heel stuck in it. It's happened to me in the past and it's usually because there's a rough edge on your heel that catches the fabric, but when you put weight through your leg it usually breaks free.  Looking at Anya's skirt, I think the skirt is a loop of feather, there is a small gap in the middle of the skirt (you can see flashes of gold through it when she moves) and I reckon she caught her entire heel on the loop -she had to dislodge it by hand.  There is no excuse for this, it is poor design.

Kristina: a gorgeous, fresh and crisp colour which looked beautiful on the floor, those narrow panels making another appearance on a dress, elongating the lines and flaring out at the bottom to add weight in the skirts so that it flared out nicely when Kristina span.  Would've preferred to have a full skirt instead of splits, but what I really liked was the straps, it's hard to come up with something new to provide interest in the rear view, and putting the straps in the top third of Kristina's back, kept the long lines of the dress.

Ola: an unusual colour palette, but it suited her and under the lights the stoned panels glittered beautifully.  I liked elements of this dress (the fluttering sleeves draped well at the back, the showgirl-style draped front was lovely and showed off Ola's legs) but not the whole ensemble.  It wasn't quite working as a frock for me. Shame.

Fiona: DSI have worked out what colour palette suits Fiona and they are sticking to it.  Nothing wrongs with that, but it does mean that her frocks are looking very samey.  This was no exception, absolutely beautiful stoning on this gown, but with it being long-sleeved it was all looking a bit busy. I would have preferred maybe broad straps in a halterneck style, and leaving her arms bare (or with sheer stocking).  It danced very nicely though.

Abbey: lovely delicate ice cream colours, for this beautiful frock.  Godets a plenty this series, but they do their job well and can be relied on to add essential weight to the skirt without unecessary bulk over the hips.  The sparkling lace looked great under the lights and the sheer top and bow, was just the right amount of cutesy-ness. Overall a beautifully light touch. 

Iveta: I'm not a huge fan of bright yellow and even less so on a blonde, but the colour popped under the Tower lights and as a complete ensemble piece, with Mark's red suit and the backing dancers dresses, it was bright, fun and lively.  The cut was good though, a classic 1950's Dior 'New Look'.  The sunray pleats dancing well and plenty of underskirts to add movement.  This dress was not designed to be about the decoration, it is ALL about the colour and the shape.  A few darts of sparkle on the bodice ... done! 

Susanna: The scarlet woman!  Lots to like about this frock, in general I love a red dress Big%20smileand Susanna has the colouring to carry such a bold colour. I'm glad they didn't use too much black and I was picking up little flashes of fuschia in the skirts, which stopped the red colour from being too overwhelming, as was the case when Abbey wore red a few weeks back.  If I'm going to be picky, I would probably have moved the splits in the skirt to in front of the leg rather than at the sides, this would allow Susanna's legs to be more on show and would give more freedom of movement for kicks, but it is only a small detail and maybe she didn't want that. Great dress but only a foil for matador Kevin!

Natalie: I adore a penny sequin!  They kind of fell out of style for a bit but are now back with a vengence!  When you move, they make a wonderful fluttering noise and of course they bounce around doing their own thing on a costume, especially when attached using strings of beads, as they were on Natalies dress and a brilliant choice of trim to use for a dance as lively as the Charleston and it reminded me of the green dress Verona Joseph wore when she did Strictly with Paul Killick. Anyway, this was a straight flapper dress, nicely cut, danced fabulously, loved it!

A great lot of frocks this week, with the exception of Ola's.  Not that it was awful, it just probably looked better on paper.  My favourites this week were Abbey's for ballroom and Natalie's for latin.

And yours were ........?

Edited by Bren - 21 Nov 2013 at 12:18
 Post Reply Post Reply