I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Chat
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Crafting circle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crafting circle
    Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 16:10
Does anyone else belong to a crafting circle/group/club? I joined one last month, not one connected to Create and Craft,  or any of the craft shopping channels. Its just a group of ladies in my area who meet one afternoon a week and do different craft projects. I knit, crotchet and design and make my own tapestries and I wanted some fresh ideas and tips and wrinkles. I have never laughed so much... what a bunch: All ages and all crafts you could imaging. This afternoon we had a lesson on making Christmas decorations. I made a 3D snowflake and used a hot glue gun for the first time. The snowflake is a bit lopsided and I have a blister from being cakhanded  with the gun but I'm very proud of the snowflake!
Inside every elderly person there is a young person wondering what the hell happened
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 16:36
sounds good not heard of any round here though I do have pinterest online which covers all sorts of stuff - Thess on here is really good will all crafty stuff
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 22:36
That sound like fun Toots. I don't belong to a club, but I was trained to teach textiles as well as food subjects and back in the 1970s, our training at teachers' college included one subject on textile craft work and we had to be knowledgeable in many, but not necessarily an expert and we were assessed on it for our course. We had to produce samples and end products as teaching aids. I didn't like patchwork or quilting and avoided it where possible as I got my worse marks in it. I love embroidery and knitting. I never learned how to crotchet. I did macrame, rug making as 2 major works. I learned while doing the rug making (it was 1.5 x 1 metre in size with a 4cm loop pile and to increase the degree of difficulty I dyed the wool yarn as well using tea leaves and onion skins to get more marks) that a big project is too hard to lug around on public transport for progress assessment at college. My macrame was a placemat using very fine yarn -I could throw it in my tote bag. In the 1980s I had to upgrade my qualifications and one of the subjects I did was on fabric decoration - fabric marbling, silk painting, block printing, screen printing and batik so students in elective textile classes could use these techniques for fabric decoration.
I suppose it wasn't like a club, as we were all being competitive to get the best marks and it was relaxing to do, but stressful when you got deadlines for assessment.

I still knit and embroider. I recently came across an artist at a craft fair who knits tea cosies as art pieces. I bought her books as the cosies were just fantastic and more like modern sculptures. I plan to make some for Christmas presents for next year, once I learn her techniques. I remember when I was 13 at school - that's when I learned to knit as I had to make a knitted cardigan for a textile project. I had really poor tension. I was really proud of it but it looked terrible. After it was marked, my mother pulled it apart and reknitted it.
Sadly, these skills are not taught at my former school as much now (if at all)as the new teachers coming through don't have the kind of learning experiences I had. Our elective texile classes fizzled out over 12 years ago (no longer popular) - students wanted instant results that you can't get doing 8-10 week textile projects, although marbling was really popular as you do see instant results on the fabric and was being done with junior classes.

I have tried scrap booking, but its not for me. My sister is into card making.
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 10:30
SNAP Margi. Many years ago in the 60's, just before I left school I dyed string with onion skins to make a lampshade. My cousin still has it.
No, I'm afraid scrap booking leaves me cold, but I might have a go at card making
I'm in the middle of knitting an aran long line cardigan. The back and sleeves are plain but the two fronts have a complicated Celtic knot aran pattern. Usually I love knitting aran because it is interesting but boy, have I had trouble with this.The left front knitted without any problems but the right has been an absolute nightmare. I have only about 2 inches to go to finish it, but I just can't get the neck decrease to match the left and I've counted the knots so I know its level. I've admitted defeat this morning and undone right down to the arm hole decrease and I'm starting again. If I'd done that in the first place when I found I'd gone 'off course' somewhere I'd have finished it now
Inside every elderly person there is a young person wondering what the hell happened
 Post Reply Post Reply