I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reality TV > Strictly Come Dancing 2017 > Strictly Frocks
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Frillywillydoodah - Week 5

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frillywillydoodah - Week 5
    Posted: 30 Oct 2013 at 19:17
It looks like the DSI apprentice designers managed to secure another week on work experience, because this week was another mixed bag.  Mind you, it's the calm before the storm that is Halloween Week, so maybe we should be grateful that they managed some great ones, however few, this week.

Here we go into week 5 ...

Natalie: here we have a dress of two halves. The front half a lovely little shimmering number, in nude coloured beads, which did it's job making the most of every movement. Equisite stonework over the bust too. The back half was equally lovely, great big latin frills, wired so that they bounce as if having a life of their own.  But these two halves should never have met, for neither complemented the other.  The frill looked plonked on and was too high on the back of the dress and we lost the nice curve of Natalie's back.  Didn't dance all that great.

Abbey: gorgeous frock, I loved the very elegant silhouette and the way the sheer fabric in the godets looked a solid colour when still.  A good length in the skirt, long enough to carry the line but we could still see Abbey's feet.  If I'm being picky I thought the top looked like underwear and might have been improved by broader straps, but it was a lovely mover on the floor.

Karen: oh she's a game girl, is Karen!  Channelling Carmen Miranda for all she was worth.  The rich sapphire blue did look great on her, and it was well cut, the pointd shimmy fringe cut to echo the lines in the bodice. Great little ruffled cap sleeves were a fun touch too. I wasn't fussed about the chiffon and feather 'splat' on the back but at least there was an attempt to tie it in with the colours of the fruit and flower bowl on her head! Karen gets the prize for the hardest working pro girl, she definitely earned her money there!

Deborah:Fab colour combination, Deb has lost some weight and it showed in this beautifully fluid dress.  Some nice detailing at the back, with the elongated point into the skirt of the dress, but that neckline was just not working.  Deborah does not have a great topline and the lapel collar rode up when she raised her arms and made the line look worse.  I think this dress marked the first appearance in this series, of the 'float'.  Stop it DSI ... I thought you'd got over that obsession!  Didn't add anything, just swung around rather limply. 

Anya: now THAT'S how you do frills on a frock! Great colour, frills wired and perfectly placed so we could see the small of her back, being placed lower on the hip meant that they really caught Anya's hip action. The rest of the dress was neat and tidy, to let the back do all the talking.  Fab little frock. 

Fiona: Nice colour, but not on her, Fiona looked too pale and washed out.  The off shoulder look balanced out the hemline and it needed the strap across the back to keep it all in place up there, because there wasn't much support going on in the bodice and overall I don't think it was a great fit for Fiona. She has definitely looked better.  The stonework and beading over the bodice is lovely in close up, but somewhat lost on the floor. Might have looked different in a stronger colour.

Rachael: I liked the back, with the cut displaying a diamond shape on her back.  The panelled design was striking and the overall look was sleek and slinky, but it all served to accentuate Rachael's legs.  and not in a good way.  She doesn't have great leg control and a longer front would have disguised those poor lines. I notice she's wearing a smaller heel, maybe for balance? But in the black, it drew attention to her feet and made them look cumbersome.  I would suggest trying a slightly higher, flared, heel and in  the nude shade.
Anyway, I didn't like this dress, I thought it was too severe for her and too flimsy to dance well.

Iveta: beautiful twinkling silver frock, the alternating panels catching the light in different ways to give light and shade and accentuate her elegant lines.  The one shouldered style was different and as Iveta has a petite body, it elongated the line up, adding a little height.  The body stocking back allowed the cut to be daring without having to worry about gaping or add straps to keep everything in place.  And I adore feathers on the bottom of a ballroom gown, Iveta looked as if she was floating across the floor. Very elegant, very Ginger Rogers!

Ola: a typical Ola-style two piece, which was a little piece-meal in itself.  It was, in effect, a waistcoat, over a spangly pink bra and a white miniskirt.  I didn't really like it, although Ola looked very nice and it played up her assets very well, but it didn't really dance.

Susanna: I'm not hugely keen on this particular shade of yellow, but matchng it with clashing purple was a nice idea. Overall and as a couple, with Kevin in a purple suit, they looked bright and breezy.  In any case, Susanna carried off the colour very well.  A frilled skirt such as this, runs the risk of looking like a 'toilet roll doll' so I think the decision to keep this frock at prom length, was definitely a good one.  Slightly odd colour in the underskirts, I would have preferred a darker gold to pick up the colour from the decoration on the shoulder.  Overall though a very good look for Susanna, she really does suit this style of frock.

Kristina: Nice colours and some lovely stoning in the front of the bodice to give the illusion of a corset.  The triple straps as they fanned out over the shoulders were a lovely detail and added some interest, but overall the bodice was too latin looking for a ballroom gown, in my opinion.  The skirt was thin and a little too tight over the hip area, it was pulling in a few places, and in general it just look insubstantial. Not a favourite of mine.

Sophie: beautiful colour, really unusual and suited her colouring perfectly.  The skirt was cut nicely to flatter her figure, the tapered points accentuating the hips and elongating the body and the innovative folded over fringing across the top half of the bodice, was so effective in enhancing Sophie's bosom.  Keeping the stoning to an absolute minimum was a refreshing change from the other dresses on the floor and made this one stand out and it being in the same shade as the dress gave a classy look, I felt. I note that it was originally designed without a belt, however I think it works better with, as it nips in the waist and enhances the overhanging fringe. I can't let Brendan's jacket go without a mention. It was appalling, terribly cut, the shoulders were riding up and he ended up with it bagging across the back. Please let's see him in something better than this next week!

So there you go, it's  very easy for me to pick favourites this week and I'm plumping for Abbey's in ballroom and a tie between Anya's red frills and Sophie's cool fringe,in latin.

What was yours?

Edited by Thess - 31 Oct 2013 at 13:47
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013 at 19:26
I've enjoyed seeing how they dressed Deborah, (being a maturer  contestant) I did like this week's - shame tho we'll no longer get to see her in different styles.

So in the older celeb ladies there's just Fiona too, and I don't think she'll last much longer either, it's just interesting to see how they dress the more natural/normal figure of most of us out here (this week I imagine it will be a Halloween number so not a 'serious' dress possibly?)

The rest are just young slips of girls, that can wear absolutely anything, (with the exception of Claudia!!! who looked like she was dispensing drugs on a hospital insanity ward!!- this week's look DID NOT work imo)

I did lovey Abbey's but she looks stunning in anything, I don't think they could dress her in anything that would look bad, unlike Tess (I'm still convinced wardrobe hate her )who succeeds most weeks, in looking awkward in whatever she is wearing.

edit, Darcey is another one, who looks good/excellent  every week (bigger budget??), she should talk to Tess, or try to help her, maybe it's Tess stance/walk/hold-   not sure, can't put my finger on it.

Edited by deborah31 - 30 Oct 2013 at 19:29
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
littlesue View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote littlesue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013 at 20:46
Not over keen on the dresses again this week, after a good start they seem to be falling off. They have dressed Deborah well and agree it will be a shame to not see what they would have put her in now, she lost a bit of weight and has a nice figure now.  I think Abbey and Sophie look awful in everything as they just too skinny to fill anything out, must be all that chain smoking with Abbey keeping her so thin,every week the Sun puts a pic of her puffing on a fagBig%20smile.  Ola probably getting jealous of Kristinna's skimpy outfits so was probably glad to be wearing her non existent dress!!  Still think they should give something waisted to Fiona as they keep putting her in those long bodiced dresses which do nothing for a slightly thickning waist and slim hips
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013 at 20:59
think Abbey and iveta's my fave this week

again another great read
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2013 at 09:03
Thanks Thess Abbey and Anya. Hands down.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
 Post Reply Post Reply