I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reality TV > Strictly Come Dancing 2017 > Strictly Frocks
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rap and Wrapping Paper - Week 4

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rap and Wrapping Paper - Week 4
    Posted: 24 Oct 2013 at 02:10

Week 4 is upon us and we’ve hit a bit of a bump in the road, with an even mix of good and not so good frocks.  Maybe the DSI apprentices have been let loose on the gowns this week, because some of them were just not up to scratch. Let’s take a spin through this weeks’ offerings:

Sophie: I’m not a great fan of tan coloured dresses, but I loved the clean uncluttered lines in the bodice. Fab stoning, with a rose coloured ‘V’ down the front to accentuate the line and provide a little relief.  Extending the bodice over the hips and down, elongated Sophie’s body and with the seam at, roughly, knee level, and shaped in a ‘v’allowed plenty of room to stride out.  The skirt was beautifully constructed to float and flutter with the slightest movement and it had some weight to it too, which kept the dress taut against the body– it danced really nicely and, for the first time, I didn’t immediately notice Sophie’s tattoo! 

Fiona: the dark blue looked so nice on her, and the intricate stoning was just glorious, but it looks a heavy dress and the skirt was a bit stiff and didn’t dance so well.  Also, I felt the bodice was too tight across the back, Fiona has a lovely figure, but she looked squashed into this dress and I felt it restricted her movement to a degree.

Iveta: this looked like an old group dance dress with a short sheer kimono thrown over the top. It was nice and Iveta looked great, but not a lot to it.  The gold trim over the neckline and at the sleeves added some interest, but it was little more than a practice outfit.

Ola: looking very Grecian in this floaty white number.  Insubstantial skirts that wafted about very nicely, but which got stuck between her legs which isn’t an elegant look!  But I do like the combination of white and crystal stones, it looks beautifully pure.  While the cut of the bodice was too much on the latin side for my taste, Ola carried it well and really sparkled on the floor.

Janette: well this danced much better than I thought it would! Smimlar to Iveta’s Christmas carwash dress, but the strips were cut at a much better length and behaved themselves very well.  It wasn’t just multi coloured, it was multi textured too, with the strips being a mixture of sequins and various types of fabric and ribbon.  I wasn’t hugely fussed on the colour palate, but it was lively and colourful and suited a Salsa.    

Rachel: oh dear, she got lumbered with this week’s doozy.  The thing about pants is that there is no hiding place – your lines and posture need to be spot on.  Rachael still has some issues in that respect and these pants didn’t help her at all. The waistcoat was nicely cut, with the bands at the back and the whole ensemble would make a fab ‘going out’ outfit, even though the waistcoat pattern looked a bit like wrapping paper, but it didn’t dance so well and the colour wasn’t great for her either.  The little hat was also a mistake. Wearing a hat while you dance makes you very aware of your head and can affect how you move it.  It looks like Rachael was being very careful with her head lines, so as not to shake the hat off.  Should have done away with it altogether.

Kristina: gorgeous pale blue colour that Kristina carried off really well.  The top was like an Arabian princess style, while the skirt was very similar to the one on Sophie’s Samba dress.  This skirt however danced better than Sophies, owing to a softer material and no overlocking at the edges. Not my favourite of the night, but a tidy and well behaved dress, well it had to be given the routine!   

Deborah: I take it back about Rachael … Deborah got stiffied with an even more appalling costume.  The red colour completely swamped her, it really isn’t her colour at all.  There was just far too much material everywhere, the cape sleeves, the scarf, the full skirt, it just lost definition on the floor.  When the skirt was whipped off to reveal the silver pencil skirt, it didn’t really get any better.  The shoes didn’t help either, Deborah’s feet looked clumpy, and their being white just drew attention to them and not in a good way.  If she had been wearing heels, even small ones, it would have changed her posture and looked much better.

Natalie: now this is how you do pants!  Great lines, flaring out at the bottom to flounce and swish about and accentuate the movement in the routine and balanced Artems flying tails too, as a couple this was a very well put together look.  The colour blocking was effective in the leg, making me think of piano keys and the white cuffs added definition to Natalie’s arm lines.  Nice touch having her wear spat-style heels.  The only thing putting me off, was that the hair department apparently decided to put a stegosaurus on Natalie’s head.

Anya: I don’t have a great deal to say about this one, Anya should look great in anything, she has a fab figure and uses her body well, but there was something about this frock that made it look like she was dancing in her underwear.  The bodice was sitting a tad too low on her and it just looked sleazy. What a shame.

Abbey: this dress swamped her. As with Deborah’s, there was just too much red with little relief. The neckline was very severe and with the billowing sleeves and flouncy skirt, Abbey just looked like she was wrapped up in a pair of curtains. Her hair flailing about at the back only made things look messy and it would have looked far nicer in a bun.  I don’t usually like splits in ballroom dresses, however in this case the flashes of leg were a welcome relief from the acres of red. Not great.

Karen: beautiful frock, again nice unfussy and elegant lines, a restrained touch with the stoning and with a sheer overlay on the bodice to soften the top.  Cute little fluttery sleeves added movement in the top half, while a sheer ruffle and pleated ribbon added enough weight to the hem so that flared out well and danced nicely.  On the show it looked greyish black, but it’s actually navy blue and while it appears on the DSI website without the belt, I think it looks much better with (surprised myself there!).  Really lovely little frock, me like very much!   

Susanna: when I saw the preview of this dress earlier in the week, I wasn’t at all sure of it.  However the cut is good, I like how the bodice has been cut for the transition into the skirt, and the mixture of sparkling and matt stones is effective in creating interest and depth in this part of the bodice.  Overlaying blue fringing with the brown was an inspired idea, again adding depth to the skirt and the flashes of colour coming through enhancing Susanna’s hip movements.  Great little mover.

My favourites were Karens for ballroom and Susanna's for latin. How about you?

Edited by Thess - 24 Oct 2013 at 12:56
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2013 at 13:49
Thanx Thess. Another good read :):)

My favourite dress was Ola's. It was beautiful.
I didn't like Rachel's outfit at all. Very silly.

Edited by Jo Bird - 24 Oct 2013 at 13:50
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
littlesue View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote littlesue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2013 at 21:02
I just love Ola's dress this week, Sophie's was nice too, hated Abbey's dress and the awful make up, had she been raiding Claudia's make up bag.  Wish Kiristinna would put her rib cage awayShocked
 Post Reply Post Reply