I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reality TV > Strictly Come Dancing 2017 > Strictly Frocks
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Can You Feel The Love? Week 3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can You Feel The Love? Week 3
    Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 01:50
Week 3 and our first theme week. Traditionally a time when style goes out of the window and stupid frocks are all around.  This time was different however. One or two I wasn't fussed over, but none that I hated.  Here we go into the fray .....

Abbey: first up and chanelling Dusty Springfield wearing Mary Quant!  Abbey carried this dress very well indeed, simple cut with an elongating white stripe down the front and a white collar to prevent the neckline from looking too severe.  The layered skirts finished with bias binding, danced well and I liked it. The mistake was to team it with white socks and black shoes, because it made Abbey's feet look too heavy. Far better to have used the kind of boot that Iveta wore last week.

Anya: the champagne/peach colour looked great on Anya and was a complete change from her very dramatic look last week.  The diagonal sheer inserts into the skirt added a different texture and the layered ruffles added movement. There looked to be a problem with the foundation garment however, at the back there was an unsightly bulge just under Anya's bottom which might have been a mismatched seam or it could have been a microphone wire.  Whatever the reason, it spoiled the beautiful lines of this frock.

Karen: HURRAH!!! Karen finally gets a lovely frock :)  The heavily encrusted bust was just glorious, I loved the way it scrolled down eventually giving way to silver then the white of the bodice.  BUT .... that bodice and that skirt were not designed as a whole outfit.  When Karen swished her skirts around you could see that the silver stoning continued around the back of the bodice and dipped down underneath the skirt. Probably the reason for the knotted fringe around the hips, looking like a fringed shawl but also disguising the bodice from showing through the sheer skirts.

Fiona:  another champagne coloured frock (must have  job lot of that colour!). The stoning over the bodice was lovely, introducing flecks of dark amber to add depth. I would have preferred the skirts to be a couple of inches longer and I found the hip seam a little severe and would have liked it to have been more tapered at the back. Another dress of hers that has me wondering over the seeming lack of an attached foundation. Something in the way the bodice was wrinkling and the lack of proper support in the bust. Not that all ballroom gowns have a built in chassis, the weight of the long skirts keeps the bodice taut, but with some of these shorter dresses the weight simply is't there. I'd love to get my hands on some of these dresses and turn them inside out for a look see!

Rachael: fab shade of turquoise that really popped on the floor.  Nice to see her in shiny bugle beads after the shaggy messy look of last week.  Odd sort of cut on the skirt, it flared out in a sort of tulip shape, I think it's attached to the foundation at the top only, rather than right the way down, as it was loose over her hips.  Danced really well.

Iveta: Hmmmm. I liked the component parts of Iveta's gown, but not the whole ensemble.  The cropped top was lovely, like a cameo picture, with the black overlay design.  The skirt was cut nicely in paler than pale shades of pink and blue/grey, but it didn't go together as a coherent gown, although there was an attempt to tie the top and the skirt togther by the addition of a waistband in the tan material, the colours really did not compliment each other.

Kristina: let's face it, this was a bikini and a very small sarong!  The ruffles at the point of the skirt was needed to stop it looking too severe and adding a nice fluttery movement when Kristina was spinning. Not a great deal else I can say about this, other than (and this might sound odd) I think the knickers were too tight!

Sophie: looking like a pop art stained glass window, I really liked the eye-catching bodice, the frilled skirt less so.  Now I love a latin frill, but these ones didn't do it for me, and I think it was the two splits and the higher central panel.  Not the right cut for a frilled skirt, of course this is just my opinion, please feel free to disagree!  I thought the red sparkly fringing down the back was unecessary and didn't add anything to the look.  Finally, Sophie's tattoo has been bugging me, it looks so at odds with that she has been we aring, but this week with the addition of a little sparkle dust, it actually looked like it was part of the costume.

Janette: spangly knickers and a crop top do not a latin frock make!  More of a showdance costume, this.  It looked great though and suited her, but it was a case of making a costume fit the song rather than making a good Jive dress.  But at least her jacket was cut better than Brendans!

Susanna: great buttery colour, looked fab on her.  Nicely cut skirts that swung and rippled on the move. The bodice was a simple design with some great stone work. I loved the shimmering bugle beads dripping from the bodice and the straps and having them on the wrist cuffs was a really lovely feature. My only gripes were that I think the beads were just the wrong shade for the dress, a tad lighter would have been better.

Vanessa: great colour, and as with her Waltz gown, a good length for her.  The stoning is fantastic, you have to hand it to DSI, they do brilliant intricate work. Again, the design of the sleeves balanced out the bottom of the gown well and it looked good on the floor. 

Ola: and she's back on form in this pink fringed number. A nod to the 1980's again in terms of the cut, I could have done without the red bands round the waist, but then again I don't think the dress could have done without them!  I would definitely lose the bow from the back, a bit twee, but overall it was a fun, fresh and feminine looking dress.

Natalie: lovely cut, odd colour, not really doing it for Natalie.  As with Kristina's dress, the addition of some fringe to the diagonal hemline saved this from looking severe and added movement.  A lovely touch with the decoration, since the material itself was already sparkly, it just needed some streaks of the darker colour at the shoulder and hip.  The undergarment sat well and had a neater cleaner line than Kristina's undergarment.

Deborah: kind of the opposite of Karens, with the white on top and the purple at the bottom. The sleeves should have been caught somewhere at the bottom, to stop them from flying up and spoiling the lines, however this is a small criticism.  Again, beautiful stoning across the mid section, blurring the join in colours.  Great to see her in a full skirt this week, danced beautifully too.

So there we have it, a theme week where no-one was stuffed into anything daft! This years designers have done very well so far, as well as an absence of floats the ladies all have lovely clean necklines and even the hair department have reigned it in and turned everyone out looking lovely (I remember the series when almost every lady had something stupid done to their hair!).

My favourite frocks of the evening were Rachael's for the latin (with no need for shears this week) and for the ballroom, Deborah's.

What was yours?

Edited by Bren - 15 Oct 2013 at 09:02
littlesue View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote littlesue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 07:56
I was'nt overly keen on any of the dresses this week but do agree that Rachel's and Deborah's was the best. Hate the way they tend to put older women in those long wasted dresses that flare from the lower hip.  Older women tend to thicken at the waist and loose their arse  and these dresses emphasise it.  Fiona's was a classic example, if the skirt would have flared from the upper hip instead of the lower her waist would have looked smaller.
Eviesmum View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac
Twilight Mad

Quote Eviesmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 16:38
I liked all of the ballroom dresses this week.  My faves were Suzannah and Deborah's, both very flattering and lovely colours.

I can't remember too many of the latin dresses, except Ola's bright pink one.  She looked good in it though :)

Edited by Eviesmum - 15 Oct 2013 at 20:50
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 19:24
Agree Eviesmum... Susanna and Deborah were my faves too.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 19:41
yep and mine
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 20:04
as my namesake I should have Deborah's!!!

I didn't mnd Vanessa's either, tho didn't like the colours.

In real life harder to find a (dressy/evening) frock with (partial/semi/ ) any sort of sleeve for the more mature(altho in my head i'm still 30!)  like myself and deborah meaden.
Not everyone has kept their younger/pre-children/slimmer figures!!!
Was i ever a skinny minny????

Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
littlesue View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote littlesue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 22:32
I agree Deborah31, its hard to get dressy clothes with sleeves in!! my big bust to as always been a pain as I need a size 14/16 to fit the bust but I'm only about a 10 waist and hips.Confused
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 22:43
Originally posted by littlesue

I agree Deborah31, its hard to get dressy clothes with sleeves in!! my big bust to as always been a pain as I need a size 14/16 to fit the bust but I'm only about a 10 waist and hips.Confused
similar to my sister-in-law who is 5ft 3, (my husband side of family much smaller- he is expception) so has to get quite a few things from Bravissimo (including swimwear etc...) and by any means not a cheap/inexpensive shop either.
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
Tango View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin

Quote Tango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 15:18
Originally posted by Thess

So there we have it, a theme week where no-one was stuffed into anything daft! This years designers have done very well so far, as well as an absence of floats the ladies all have lovely clean necklines and even the hair department have reigned it in and turned everyone out looking lovely (I remember the series when almost every lady had something stupid done to their hair!).

I have to disagree about the hair. I thought Vanessas hair did her no service at all. It was just "odd"...

Enticer
Enticer

Quote littlesue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 18:43
Vanessa's hair was awful, unflattering, we could'nt stop laughing at it in our house
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 11:25
I thought the costumes were much better than last year but some of the hair was dreadful
Inside every elderly person there is a young person wondering what the hell happened
 Post Reply Post Reply