I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reality TV > Strictly Come Dancing 2017 > Strictly Frocks
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Let's Go Round Again

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Let's Go Round Again
    Posted: 02 Oct 2013 at 00:07
Well hello lovers of the spangle, the rouched hem, the latin frill and the feather boa!  DSI have spent the last few months cutting, stitching, glueing, reassuring the ladies that their bums look just fine and persuading the men to wear pink lycra.  Thousands of hours have been devoted to dressing this years dancers, and while they sometimes get it wrong, they also get it spectacularly right.

So, welcome to this years frock spot. Seconds out, round one ...

Show 1:
Ola: First out of the gate in a startlingly bright pink two piece.  There's not an awful lot you can do with what amounts to a pair of big knickers covered in fringing, but the lace over the top was nice, with splashes of orange beading adding some variation in colour.  I liked the asymmetric cut and the padded out shoulder, but Ola's flailing hair was a distraction and spoiled the lines.

Aliona: beautiful, delicate colour, with the decoration kept to a minimum allowing the cut to do the talking.  Nice length, good proportions in the bodice, perhaps a little insubstantial in the skirts, but a nice little mover. I did not however like the gloves, I thought they fought with the bracelets.

Iveta: Gorgeous gown, the stoning radiating from around the scoop of the back was understated but effective.  The flashes of black underskirt and the sheer black top skirt successfully knocked back the bright colour, preventing it from being too much.  In rehearsals Iveta wore a wide black belt with the dress and I'm so glad this was ditched for the performance, as it spoiled the beautiful line of the dress.  Fabulous.

Susanna: great colour on her, with her dark hair the blue really stood out. Great flirty cut on the skirt, and the zig zagged hem line allows a flash of leg while still feeling like a 'proper' skirt, which is a good choice for someone who isn't quite ready for an Ola-style costume! Nice use of sparkle fringe as a trim rather than the whole skirt. Now for the bit I didn't like, the back being in a sheerer fabric than the front.  It made Susanna's backside look much larger than it actually is. Would've been better all the same fabric.

Sophie: I don't really like grey as a colour for gowns, but this was pleasant enough, delicate with a superlight touch on decoration. Cut a little long in the body for her I think, as the cummerbund bit at the waist kept folding over under the bust. Better lift in the bust itself would have counteracted this for her. But I did like the little cutaway detail on the back waistband and the sheer fabric stretched over the stoned bodice, the diffused sparkle was in keeping with the antique feel to the dress, and the overall effect was sort of an 'old diamonds' kind of vibe.

Natalie: Natalie has an ample bosom and I think wardrobe have learned from Chelsee Healy's experience, and designed a dress that works with her 'assets'!  The collar design, halterneck-style angle on the bodice front together with the double bac straps, makes this a very secure option.  The skirt danced well and nice to see flat coloured fringing as opposed to the sparkle fringe that DSI seem to have loads of! Another understated decoration, although with Artem's costume being a bit 'full on' those flashes of red with sparkly edging balanced the overall look nicely.  My only criticism is that the strap keeping Natalie's bust cups from drifting, was visible through the plunge neckline.

And onwards we go to ...

Show 2:
Kristina: an early favourite and, dare I say ... a bit of a 1980's revival in terms of the cut? I loved this colour on her.  When she stood still it looked red, but on the move it revealed flashes of hot pink and orange in the mix, adding interest.  The changes in texture on the bodice were very effective, with the flat red over one side contrasting with the heaily stoned side. A lovely slinky little mover.

Fiona: Hmmm this was the wrong shade of red for her colouring and it made her looked drained.  The diamond shapped stoned panels were beautifully done and designed to draw the eye inwards, but the skirt was too thin, it needed something with a bit more weight to stand up to the encrusted side panels.  The back was unflattering, with the band placed so high up on her back. A word about the body stocking - the back panel was too pale for her skin tone and it looked pasty, while the stocking at the front was an odd choice and it didn't really add anything to the dress.

Karen: not much to it really, it's a little silver dress with some fringing on it.  Of course Karen looked great in it, but this kind of dress doesn't add much to the performance.  It was tidy, it showed off her legs, but that was about it. Nothing to write home about.

Rachael: The first sunray pleat dress of the series. I LOVE a sunray pleat, they dance so beautifully and this dress, with only a few layers underneath, fluted swirled and swished it's way around the floor.  More diffused sparkle in the bodice, in similar vein to Sophie's dress. I think this may be a recurring feature for this year and I like the subtlety.  Great length, nicely cut in the back, a winner for me.

Janette: more fringed knickers, but this time with a couple of scarves draped over the bust. It took me a while to figure out what i didn't like about this and I realise that it was the bandeau top. It was too plain and I think it would have been improved with the addition of a heavily encrusted bra. As it was, it looked like a skin tone sports bra. I don't usually comment on the shoes, but in this instance I have to say that the black shoes made Janette's legs look shorter than they are and her feet look clumpy. 

Deborah: more successful than Fiona's dress, again with some clever panels to guide the eye in and down over the hips.  This skirt was a much better choice, the ruffled godets adding weight and movement. I would have preferred it to have been a full skirt, without the tattered hem at the front. Lovely pleated sleeves which floated nicely and when Deborah was in hold they balanced the width of the hem beautifully.  Lovely variation inthe stoning which included sea green and blue.

Anya: oh fab! Lovely fun flirty skirt, cut fantastically to flounce and flare.  OK enough with the aliteration, I'm starting to sound like Arlene! I don't usually like this particular shade of pink, but it looked cute on Anya. The bodice was fresh looking and studded with pearls amongst the crystal stones, which gave it a look that was quite different to any other dress.  The black polka dots at the hem were most effective, and a lovely way to tie in with PAtricks black pants without resorting to a belt. The frou frou ribbon at the bust was needed to balance out the overall silhouette of what might initially have appeared to be a themed dress, but which wouldn't actually look out of place on todays circuit.

Vanessa:  I'm glad she didn't perform in her opening night frock as that paricular shade of egg yolk yellow does nothing for her.  Another optical illusion dress, with a narrower pink front half bringing the eye inwards.  The crossover style front caught just under the bust was a nice choice, but I wasn't fussed over the fluted hem.

Abbey: a tall girl is a dream to dress in ballroom.  You can deisgn dresses with long sweeping curves, that look so elegant. Abbey's dress was a great example of this.  It can often be a mistake to put a tall girl in white, but that snaking curve in tan broke up the block of colour really nicely.  Good cut in the skirt, godets allowing lots of movement while keeping the skirt close on the hips. Good length and, best of all, wardrobe resisted the urge to stick floats on it! The stright-jacket style straps over the back were a little at odds and I would have preferred strings of beads instead, but you can't have everything. 

Well there we are. Not bad at all for kick off, DSI seem to have picked up a few new tricks and I'm really looking forward to seeing what they have in store for us this series.

My favourite frock over the two shows was Kristina's for the latin and Rachael's for the ballroom.  What was yours?

Finally has anyone else spotted this series' trend?  BANGLES! 

Edited by Thess - 02 Oct 2013 at 00:16
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.
Eviesmum View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac
Twilight Mad

Quote Eviesmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013 at 00:24
There were a lot of lovely dresses this week I thought.

I really liked Iveta's dress and I thought that Rachel's dress was such a pretty colour on her.

I loved the little pink jive dress Anya (?) wore with the dots on the hem, that was gorgeous.  I also liked Kristina's dress (oh to have her figure).
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013 at 07:57
Thanks Thess. This is great Big%20smile

Best dress: Rachel in ballroom and Anya in latin.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
littlesue View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote littlesue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013 at 09:41
Was looking forward to this topic starting.  I think I liked  Aliona's dress the best, Kristina's dress was nice but not keen on any dresses that show all the midriff, good figure or not
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013 at 16:41
I thought most of the dresses better this year

great article Thess
Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2013 at 21:09
Thanks for the kind words of encouragement ladies.  Littlesue ... Kristina's dress isn't so far removed from what I used to wear back in the day. Possibly why it was my favourite!

It's interesting to see that wardrobe are tweaking costumes right up until the last minute. Iveta lost her black belt and Vanessa's dress acquired some additional bling. Have the more eagle eyed amongst you spotted any others?

Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.
 Post Reply Post Reply