I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Celebritain.com Entertainment Forum > Television and Film
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Next Dr Who

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Next Dr Who
    Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 06:11
I went to the Dr Who festival in Sydney on Saturday. There is also one in the UK. I don't know if it has been on or is coming up soon.
WOW!! It was expensive, but did not disappoint. Sylvester McCoy, Peter Capaldi, Stephen Moffat and Ingrid Oliver (Osgood) were in attendance as well as production crew for special effects, costumes, monster/alien costumes and prosthetics, directors and writers of different episodes. They all gave talks / interviews /workshops. The day started at 9.30am and the last event finished at 5.30pm.
My niece (a huge Whovian)got a hug from Ingrid Oliver. When Ingrid is not dressed in character, she can walk around and not be noticed. My niece was at one of the merchandise stands when a lady asked her to pass something to her so she could look at it more closely. When my niece handed it to her she realised it was Ingrid Oliver and asked for a hug. Never having been to anything like this before (never been to Comic con), it was an eye opener. It cost $40 to have a photo with Peter Capaldi or any other actor present. Photos with other people e.g. directors, writers was cheaper. Then it was between $15 to $40 to get an autograph depending on whose autograph you wanted. Tickets had to be purchased on line for photos and autograph opportunities, once we had the tickets for the actual day.
All the costumes and monsters were from the current series. The special effects talk had a Dalek blown up on stage (not a big explosion - enough to pop its top. The fellow in charge explained all the ways he has blown up props etc for the show and other effects. He and his SFX production company also worked on the new Sherlock movie and the Outlander series.
They are going to televise bits of the day sometime next year. My niece was stopped by some BBC production crew and asked to give feedback on camera about the talks given by the actors.
Peter Capaldi gave a spoiler without realising the episode wasn't going to air until last night in Sydney - the demise of Clara. He was asked by an audience member which moment he had filmed was the most emotional and he said it was Clara's death.
Tups View Drop Down
Swallows
Swallows
The Queen Of Tarts

Quote Tups Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 22:30
I normally love Dr Who.. but I cant take to this Dr... it seems to be going over my head, I really thought being in my 50's and watching Dr Who since William Hartnell I would like the older Dr, but no.. I think my all time Fave was David Tennant, wasnt prepared to like Matt Smith because I was mourning the loss of DT, but I think I even prefer him to Peter Capaldi.. such a shame that I am losing interest

Edited by Tups - 17 Feb 2015 at 22:31
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2015 at 01:47
I went to another Dr Who Symphonic Spectacular yesterday. It was quite good with Peter Davidson (5th Doctor) as host. This show will be the one they will do in the UK later this year. Australia was the first country to see this production and it will go to New Zealand next. It had 'live' Daleks, Cybermen, Ood, vampire women, deadly mummy, and other aliens and monsters on stage and in the aisles. Not as many audience members dressed up in character this time - more of the commercially available merchandise T-shirts and dresses were worn, although we did see one audience member dressed as Missy.

Edited by MargiABC - 08 Feb 2015 at 01:49
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 11:17
nobody watching dr.who in this house still (keep deleting it week after week, have it on series record.
I did watch the one on the train (i watched it alone as no-one interested)
but have lost interest really.
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 20:45
sorry that is like another language to me, I understand the word 'cake'
but after that- nothing!!!!
I really am not a kitchen person (it came with the house!!)
I don't mind washing up!!

btw I have just started a full time 2 year course in Social Health/Work- at my old age! so i guess I'll never learn to cook /bake now, oh well!!
Happy to eat other's offerings always tho!! I'm still volunteering with vulnerable adults- what inspired me, and they all said they wanted me to be their support/social worker!! so giving it a go!
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 16:50
Thanks Deborah.
They did show one series earlier this year and we had the Aussie version last year. I was wondering why they were cooking in a big marquee when it would be so hot in summer here, when the series was made. Then I saw the British version and realised they just copied the same physical format for the Aussie version.
I do a lot of baking when we have a party at home. I made most of the desserts for my niece's party -all gluten free, except the sweet pastry cases (made with regular flour and baked blind) for lemon meringue and passionfruit curd tartlets. The fillings were gluten free, so my older sister used the GF profiteroles, split them and filled them with the curd and I always make the meringues separately and just pop them on top after the cases are filled (I like crunchy meringue, not soft meringue). My GF recipes are in the food topics section.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 07:57
Great cake Margi!!!!, you're very good making extra cupcakes!!
are you watching the 'Great British Bake-off'
I do, but I'm still not in my kitchen very much, and have never baked a cake in my life (yet!!) suppose there's still time.
I do like watching the show tho (usually 4 or 5 hours they get to bake!!)
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 05:50
This is the cake. Its not the best cake Tardis cake I've seen, compared to the ones I've seen on the internet. I have done lots of cake decorating over 20 years ago including 3 tier wedding cakes. I'm a bit rusty and the blue was so blue. At least it the fondant came precoloured so I didn't have to spend time kneading the colour in. I was telling the adults not to eat the icing so they wouldn't have blue tongues unless they wanted to and we had 3 small children there - they got the cupcakes so their parents wouldn't freak out over their tongues.

MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2014 at 17:39
Originally posted by deborah31

would be nice to see the cake!!

I have finished the cake. I just have to add some finishing touches. This is cake 1 for the family party. I made it as a horizontal cake instead of a vertical, tall Tardis cake. Cake 2 will be for my niece's actual birthday in a month's time. We are having the family party on Saturday as she is on uni holidays now. We will be celebrating again in Canberra on her actual birthday with her uni friends. Thank goodness I can buy the fondant icing precoloured. Nothing worse than kneading in food dye and trying to get it to look even. I tasted the of the icing and I now have a bright blue tongue. I'll post a photo tomorrow. The cake itself is gluten free and it had a layer of ganache beneath it made from gluten and nut free chocolate and lactose free lite cream. Catering for all family members.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 01:07
They were probably making some political points as well since it is current. Their relationship was never publicly stated before the last episode, only implied and we thought there was a relationship there. They are more like a crime fighting duo in some instances in the episodes they appeared in, like Batman and Robin. I have read some comments from fans who think this duo should have their own spinoff show.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 20:36
ok, mykids didn't explain that really.

We just thought it was making some political points, fairly current,
ie gay marriages, and the Scottish Referendum (that is draggin on and on, tbh, england/people on the whole, are not really interested, if they want to go, just go!!!!!)
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 16:34
The lizard lady is from a an early episode of Matt Smith's Dr Who and lived underground with other members of her species until they were disturbed by a mining drill. It was unknown in that episode if they would be friend or foe as they were pretty ticked off by the deep mine drill and thought it was an invasion. She and her spouse became an ally of the Doctor and ended up in late Victorian England (the spouse is from that time period, but they were not an item until a later episode. Everyone thought she was the lizzard lady's maid initially). She has appeared in several episodes since, whenever the Doctor has needed extra backup in a perilous situation.

Edited by MargiABC - 26 Aug 2014 at 16:44
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 11:50
would be nice to see the cake!!
my nephew (who has learning disabilities ) is fanatical dr.who fan.
didn't get to see him tho this weekend to find out what he thought (he's age 11) as he was on a trip to a war museum.

Don't know of any positive reactions here so far.
We don't know what the lizard lady and her wife has to do with any of it??
or what the dinorsaur was all about??
I haven't really watched since David Tennant left (as was not a Matt Smith fan, and didn't like the new (story) writer)

Edited by deborah31 - 26 Aug 2014 at 11:51
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 01:09
I did like his Scottish accent and the way the other characters reacted and adjusted to the Doctor's older facade. I want to see the next episode to see how Clara and the new Doctor interact further. I'm glad that David Tennant didn't speak with his natural Scottish accent when he was Dr Who. When he was in Broadchurch I had to put the subtitles on the TV as I couldn't understand half of his dialogue, but that doesn't mean I like him any less as an actor. In the interview that Peter Capaldi had in Sydney, he spoke of one of his early movie roles in a film starring Burt Lancaster. He commented that Burt Lancaster spoke to him when they weren't filming and said Peter was good as an actor, but he had no idea what he was saying. I guess his Scottish accent was a little stronger back then.

I read quite a few mixed reviews. I guess die hard Dr Who fans are happy the series continues.

I have to make a Tardis cake for my niece's 21st birthday. (She us a big fan) I had no idea how to go about it and bought a Tardis cake mould, but the details on my sample cake just didn't really form. I found 3 websites on how to make, assemble and decorate an upright Tardis cake. I've already bought the dark blue fondant icing and some plain white fondant icing. I'll have a practise go with the white icing as the blue is expensive to stuff up.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 20:55
ok, we tried to watch it in this house , but no,- not very good
I tried the most and watched it (mostly on X6 to the end)
Others gave up 15 mins in!!!

My daughter thought it was a bit like an info/commercial on 'gay marriage' and the Scottish referendum.(she did have it on much later as back ground sound)

A bit dour and dull for us, maybe it will improve??
Best bit was when Matt Smith came back, albeit for a few mins near the end!!!
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2014 at 07:05
They aired the first episode of the new series at 5.50am this morning Sydney time which was the same time it was aired in other countries. It would have been 8.50pm your time. I didn't watch it then as I went and saw it on the big screen at the cinema this morning. The cinema version has extra bits. Before it started, the Sontaran, Strax,had a video blog where he critiqued each Doctor by their physical attributes. It was quite funny and they showed behind the scenes at the end, which included the parts of the first read through of the script with the cast and the new Doctor. Paying to see it I would expect to have a bit more than just the episode. I enjoyed the the plot and how they introduced Peter Capaldi as the new Doctor. The ABC are repeating the episode tonight.

Edited by MargiABC - 24 Aug 2014 at 12:19
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>