I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Chat
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Snow?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snow?
    Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 09:56
It's pretty bad in Ireland and not so good in South Wales. We are OK here on the Welsh Borders, just damp and dank at the moment. Is everyone else OK?
Inside every elderly person there is a young person wondering what the hell happened
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 13:25
No snow here Toots. Just cold and wet.
It looks like Easter will be much the same.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 15:24
I hope the weather improves for you soon.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 15:53
Weather cold here in Norfolk!!! fed up of it,
altho daughter off to Italy early  tomorrow for a week (school holidays begin here for EAster break today)she's off to Naples/ Pompeii with the school and to Rome, may even get to see new pope too, if he's out and about Good Friday etc...  Altho they have been advised Italy is cold and wet too!!
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 21:37
That's come around fast Deborah since you told us of her school trip last year. I'm sure your daughter will have a good time no matter what the temperature is like. Sydney is having the opposite weather for the next week, (unusually high 20s and low 30s C in autumn) because Ellen Degeneres with Portia is in town, filming segments for her talk show and the Royal Easter Show has started. I know just coincidental. Down in a part of Victoria they had a tornedo destroying a lot of houses. I know they happen a lot in America, but its not something that happens very often here.

Edited by MargiABC - 22 Mar 2013 at 21:38
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 08:26
We've had 2 inches overnight and its still snowing. Hardly anything or anyone moving in this neck of the woods. Pals in Canada have had 6 feet and life goes on as normal!
Inside every elderly person there is a young person wondering what the hell happened
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 19:01
I remember driving in Canada in winter to BC in about 4ft of snow or more to our ski destination about 14 years ago (before my son was born)it was slow, but we did it, but we were also in our big 4x4 Jimmy, also the weather there is much dryer, and without the wind chill factor, so it always felt warmer , even at minus 10!!!  Calgary is one of the dryest places, i forgot what damp felt like until i returned to Europe (just as i craved snow/freezing point when in Sydney!!- must of been mad)
Hate cold weather now!!
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 08:35
I lived up in the circle Deborah. Snow and bears everywhere and like you, we still got around. I remember going south to Montreal where there were blizzards non stop for 16 hours and we still got out and about. Great people, great country
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 21:40
Originally posted by Toots

Great people, great country
 Great ice skaters too Wink
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 00:32
I had relatives who lived in Calgary when they first migrated to Canada in the 1980s. They stayed there about 5 years and then moved to Vancouver because they couldn't get used to the cold when they were used to milder winters.
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 07:53
Originally posted by MargiABC

I had relatives who lived in Calgary when they first migrated to Canada in the 1980s. They stayed there about 5 years and then moved to Vancouver because they couldn't get used to the cold when they were used to milder winters.

Yes, Margi, I would imagine it was a bit of a shock! Vancouver's lovely isn't it. re snow: I saw on the news yesterday, that the isle of Arran  has 15ft snow drifts on part of the island, and no snow in other parts. Weird weather. All our snow has gone but it has left a biting wind behind. My granny used to call it a 'lazy wind' ie it went straight through you instead of going around you.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 12:39
We actually immigrated to Canada, our 5th winter was too much we left!!!!!
Moved back to Europe, my son, Canadian born tho, has citizenship, we applied but weren't there long enough as only  there first 3 years on temp (working) visa's - secondment from Australia.  
Have a really good friend (and her Canadian family- my adopted Canadian family) in Canada, and a couple of Aussie friends followed us out, cos we said we were staying!!! , then we left, they are still there 12 years later, they love it!!
Might try and go this summer, as my husband will be working out there.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 13:53
My relatives were from HK, and like many others who could planned to leave before HK went back to China in 1997. My aunt and uncle stayed there but their daughter's family moved back to HK when everything settled down again in HK, although her children are at uni somewhere in Canada, not sure where. They could have graduated by now. We went to visit my aunt and uncle in Vancouver in 1999. Lovely place.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 14:46
I love Vancouver, and Vancouver Island (had a week on the Island approx 2006 I think, and went back to Calgary for a holiday in 2010, where we stayed with our Canadian friends)  If we were in Vancouver we would of stayed in Canada, much milder (wetter) climate.  Vancouver does remind me a bit of Sydney.
I did go to a 'Chinese' style wedding in Sydney of a colleague/IT trainee  from Westpac (still remember her name Patty Fu ) most of her relatives flew in from HK, and Vancouver, and they honeymooned in Vancouver too.  Was a fabulous wedding,  bride wore a couple of outfits, remember a Red one, and a traditional white one too. Sadly i lost touch with all the Westpac colleagues/trainees  i studied Cobol with, before the days of Internet/facebook!

Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 17:35
Originally posted by MargiABC

My relatives were from HK, and like many others who could planned to leave before HK went back to China in 1997. My aunt and uncle stayed there but their daughter's family moved back to HK when everything settled down again in HK, although her children are at uni somewhere in Canada, not sure where. They could have graduated by now. We went to visit my aunt and uncle in Vancouver in 1999. Lovely place.

I remember friends crying when the handing over of Hong Kong ceremony was on TV. They said it would chang, and change for the worse. I hope they were wrong Margi and things are good there now
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 20:34
Another cousin moved to New York and became a US citizen, althought her mother remained in HK. She returnef to HK after spending 10 years in the US. They all felt the changes were minimal and fear of the unknown was a major factor in leaving, given the political nature of China at the time. I guess HK was too valuable economically to make major changes. I went back to HK to visit my relatives in 2005, but had been to HK several times between 1980 and 1995 and as a visitor really didn't feel any difference. The main difference now according to a Sydney relative who went to HK a few months ago was that she felt it was more crowded as there were more mainlanders in HK and a change in language - more Mandarin speakers compared to Cantonese speakers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>